Halfway through January where are the developers?

Is there anybody out there???

Comments

• its a worry for sure.........seems game is on autopilot
  • I made a similar post bout this a week ago and it eventually was closed.

The problem is that this topic always turns sour between the players. Honestly, I find it more of the lack of interaction of the devs to the players for the fault of the toxicity here on the forums.

There has to be a way that we can all come together and bring the awareness to the dev team together rather than against each other.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I think i saw a job posting by Broadsword for a network engineer.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Can anyone else remember a January over the last 3-5 years where we got updates about the game?

As I pointed out in the other thread; I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of communication yet because it is, unfortunately, standard practice for the Devs to go off the grid Dec-Jan with something usually coming out late Feb about what's coming down the road. Again, I'm not advocating for them or saying it's right but this has been what we've seen over the past several years.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I made a similar post bout this a week ago and it eventually was closed.

There has to be a way that we can all come together and bring the awareness to the dev team together rather than against each other.

I think we arrived years ago at the crossroads of like it or leave it. Just don't make noise about it.

Seth said:
    I think i saw a job posting by Broadsword for a network engineer.

If you look in the about section on the Broadsword website you'll see 23 employees total. 
  • keven2002 said:
    Can anyone else remember a January over the last 3-5 years where we got updates about the game?

Don't have to "remember" ... just check the news history on the landing page for UO:

Not even going to get involved in any argument about the substance of those posts, but it's three years of posting in the month of January nonetheless. So to say that the Dev Team is usually MIA in January is ... wrong.

~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Really? 
    Go outside and build a snowxxx ahhh person wtf 
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited January 2023
    What do you expect? The next thing you hear from the devs will only be an announcement that they are putting in the 5 minutes it takes to copy/paste another Quest/ToT/Champ spawn. Game is on autopilot, don't expect much, except for the aforementioned cookie-cutter 3 things and people to quit/the population to dwindle. I've never been a "UO Doomer" but boy is it looking bad, as the last 3 years have been a repeat of the same. Sure gets the bots fired up when they do ToTs though, guess the bots are actually propping up the subs. Don't forget the last expansion we got was in 2009 for Stygian Abyss. 
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Time of Legends?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    Mariah said:
    Time of Legends?
    So what 6 or 7 years since any real new content? Since the last real tameable pets ? Since then we've got free to play and cookie cutter slop..
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    Mariah said:
    Time of Legends?
    Time of Legends is laughable and comparing it to a real expansion, such as Stygian Abyss, you know is wrong. Other games, hell even in past UO, we've gotten more out of patches/publishes. From uoguide, look at these major selling points! 

Valley of Eodon - a new area to explore with new tameables, artifacts, armor sets, and hidden treasures aka a few quests and tons of worthless space
    Dragon Turtle Champion Spawn - A new Champion Spawn aka worthless champ
    Shadowguard - the fortress of the vile enchantress Minax aka multiboxers paradise
    Skill Mastery System - expanded to 16 skills with more than 35 new spells & abilities actually nice and useful, but not an expansion, patch material
    Stonecrafting- expanded to allow greater customization of player housing patch material
    2 New House Tiles Sets - more ways to customize your House patch material
    New craftables - including clothing, weapons, and armor in the styles of Tiger & Dragon Turtle patch material, comes with the territory of the first part
    Stable Slots - 2 additional stable slots for all upgraded accounts oh wow

The only reason my accounts have Time of Legends is because it was given free. I have never once visited there or use any gear from Time of Legends. So no, not "Time of Legends?" Next you'll hit me with High Seas as a ""quality expansion"" lol.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • There are a lot possibilities for Malas, Tokuno, and Eodon ... except they're largely ignored in the game. Luna, Umbra, Zento, and the Royal City are excluded from the governor/city trade systems. (Yes, yes ... so are Nu'jelm and Cove.) Peerless Champ loot tables and rewards haven't been updated in ... ever?

A true expansion would actually find a way to connect all of the different facets in a cohesive way that makes sense. (Yes, even Fel.) Sure, this would require some updates to NPCs and quest chains - but the quest system has needed to be overhauled for a long time, as well. (Having two separate quest systems is ... lazy.)
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • MojmirMojmir Posts: 8
    I've seen more content added in f2play games
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Mojmir said:
    I've seen more content added in f2play games

I have always asked how a couple volunteers in their spare time can produce quality UO versions for absolutely free while also maintaining fantastic communication with their player base via forums and discord while we get what exactly??? for a sub fee? 

As far as TOL, the map wasn't even finished. It had some potential but once the new wore off it's been as neglected as everything else. 
    Once again even the smallest comment from the developers could do so much 
  • Grimbeard said:

You're right that they should communicate.

But please don't pretend that their communication would actually have a positive impact. It'll foster anger and conspiracy fantasies just like when they don't talk. They should of course do it anyway, because we're their customers and their talking lets us know what the state of the product they're selling is, but please let's not pretend it'll actually have a positive impact on us.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    "why you want moe content?
    every time they add something they introduce crap with absolutely zero QA and doesn't ever seem to get fixed.
    Last event they introduced brittle robe, talisman, and apron and forgot the brittle tags. And when you transmog the robe onto tabard or parrot or monks robe, you can't even repair it.

Previous event they introduced alchemy apron with +10 alchemy, and they mislabelled it so people think it did something else and also because they mislabelled it the +skill also doesn't appear on the mannequin.

They just adding more and more junk with no QA, better to have no new content if they are just going to release without testing or without QA."
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Grimbeard said:

But please don't pretend that their communication would actually have a positive impact. It'll foster anger and conspiracy fantasies just like when they don't talk. They should of course do it anyway, because we're their customers and their talking lets us know what the state of the product they're selling is, but please let's not pretend it'll actually have a positive impact on us.
    Let's how basic communication works

Dec 1stish 
    Happy new years from team look forward in the coming weeks for upcoming events. 

There that's it how is that difficult??

Mid January 
    Hope everyone is recovering from the holidays and ready to adventure! Coming in feb 
    Trump cupid in fel 2 twice the slaughter as the turn in guy is at champ alter.
    For those who survive yarrr da high seas be callin in march...

See this is easy doesn't have to be two way communication although the defense that the players are mean is kinda a weak cop out..

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I think about six months to a year ago, maybe a little longer, I noticed the game play was getting rather erratic and I was starting to fear the game was just going to crash.  But, for the most part, it has smoothed out now so I am pretty confident the developers are doing their jobs again. 

However, UO’s complete lack of any response, private or public, to innocent players being flagged by the afk program designed to flag cheaters tells me that no one is in charge.  I have to wonder if anyone was even aware of what was happening.  My guess is that if anyone was aware of what was happening they did not communicate the problem to anyone else including the person responsible for it.

I suspect there is very little internal communication now and no one to coordinate what is being done so you should not expect to hear much from them
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    edited January 2023
    It is my conclution that UO needs a new game producer.

The lack of communication from the dev team members is one thing, but when the sitting game producer also are unwilling to communicate thats something else.

Last message was in 6th december the activation of Krampus (old content)
    Before that the Dynamic event in Deceit (again old content, a few new rewards)
    Before this october halloween (again old content, a few new rewards)

You know thats atleast something for UO, although its not new its something. But when you combine with no communication and no bugfixing, no new content its looking really grim for the sitting game producer.

Theres also no new Newsletters regarding UO Live prod shards nor UO New Legacy.
    No information as to what is the plan this year. What happend to youtube sessions?

You continue to take my money from subscriptions without any offers, and Im starting to wonder what I am paying for. Servers to be online? New legacy servers? I play on PROD not some futuristic new NL server.

Will new legacy fix the current problems with UO:
    Party system
    VvV bugs and unfinished content
    Scripting  (If you cant fix it atleast have some responding GMs that can take action)
    Illegal game clients
    General bugs reported in the Bugs forum
    Skills that are not of use today, Item ID, Taste ID, Forensic, etc etc
    Powerscrolls such as macing, fencing, stealing, etc, give them more meaning plz
    Housing system with placement etc on production shards
    Peerless bosses and Champ bosses dropping 15year old content.
    Complex Crafting system with reforging/imbuing/amalgamation +1resist -1 dci etc
    Moonglow Zoo rewards, Britain donation rewards, Cleanup rewards, Vesper donation rewards

A heads up I play on production shards, not new NL shard that is in the future and meant for new/returning players not existing players on PROD.

I will end this post with the fact that UO has alot of potential, if given the right focus and attention.

Thank you
  • Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:

Let's how basic communication works

Dec 1stish 
    Happy new years from team look forward in the coming weeks for upcoming events. 

There that's it how is that difficult??

Mid January 
    Hope everyone is recovering from the holidays and ready to adventure! Coming in feb 
    Trump cupid in fel 2 twice the slaughter as the turn in guy is at champ alter.
    For those who survive yarrr da high seas be callin in march...

See this is easy doesn't have to be two way communication although the defense that the players are mean is kinda a weak cop out..

I re-read my post for the part where I defended them. It wasn't there. You made a claim that their communicating "could do so much." That claim is not supported by the history of player reaction to dev communication. They should, of course, communicate anyway, and my first post was equally clear on that.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Psycho be careful what you wish for.  This is a very old game with much of it’s play dynamics still back in the 90’s.  The current team may actually understand that, and the player base is comfortable with it.  New leadership would likely want to bring the game into the modern era remaking the game in their image without much regard for what came before with the hope attracting a younger player base that can support the game in years to come.

i am seeing more houses on my shard.  That surprises me.  Maybe i am wrong about the game’s future.  I hope so.  But when so many discussions like this one go on forever without any response from those sponsoring this forum I have to wonder about the game’s future.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728

...You made a claim that their communicating "could do so much." That claim is not supported by the history of player reaction to dev communication. ...
    Well, that's the truth.

"They should, of course, communicate anyway..."

That's probably true too. 
    Such exciting stuff coming!!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited January 2023
    Grimbeard said:
    Whether you think it is or not, Its what you wanted, communication.  Next communication to look forward to is mid-year NL.  You got your stupid fishing pole.  But that will not stop you from asking for communication in less than 2 weeks I predict.

Auto follow is not illegal. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Whether you think it is or not, Its what you wanted, communication.  Next communication to look forward to is mid-year NL.  You got your stupid fishing pole.  But that will not stop you from asking for communication in less than 2 weeks I predict.

Auto follow is not illegal. 
    This a typical allen trolling post
  • Mariah said:
    When I first read Summer Solstice BBQ on Fire Island I got really excited as I thought it meant IRL.
    I for one am relieved to hear something from the team.
    Same here but it’s in game :( 

I just wish they’d make the fishing pole exceptional and make so we can imbue it 

I’ve gone through 100s of runic kits trying to get a good pole.  Also make it one handed lol 
    When will the new rewards be released? A lot of really good picks ! What years are theses going to be