Is The Deep Dead In The Water?

It's been a long time since we've been to the Ararat, one of our favorite places to get decent legendary armor and fight a slightly harder than average boss. At the time we had no clue that you weren't allowed to bring pets down, never thought about it. Just knew one person had to have a suit, cast a gate from a certain point and bob's your uncle. Just thought that was how it worked.

Well tonight a group of tamers decided to give it a try doing it how we've last heard it was suppose to be done, with the crabs. We heard it was hard and put it off. Well have you tried doing it? Does it work for you? If so please elaborate on what it is that you do as a tamer.

Tonight we had the following experiences before we could even get below decks to fight the boss:
  • Pet crabs randomly attacking their owners
  • Pet crabs randomly attacking other players
  • Pet crabs randomly attacking other pet crabs
  • Players going grey due to this
  • Hydra killing off the pet crabs before the hole opened as the pet crabs couldn't hit hard enough to kill off the Hydra.

The one pet crab that didn't die and made it below decks was killed off in the first minute. Doesn't take much to kill them and they do no damage. When you're being attacked by hydra and pet crabs it's hard to keep your own pet crab healed.

Someone please explain how this is suppose to work for tamers when their pet crabs are happily attacking their owners, other players and other pets willy nilly.

Thank you.

Comments

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    The loot being equal to the roof and the roof being easy to key.....
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    “Issue with the paralithodes attacking other players has been reported in bug forum.

(https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10133/underwater-bugs#latest  near the bottom past the initial non issues reported)

it’s a little irritating however damage is not actually dealt or received on other players as it’s trammel rule set, (unless the other players are guilded) and going grey does not affect much in trammel rule set either. (You’re technically attackable Color - not criminal which by default is also grey, so you only appear grey to certain players)

I have found you need to release the paralithode before you log out too (, or else you’ll normally log in dead as I think your own paralithode has killed you while you’re trying to time out - even if hidden)

on Atlantic Ararat is done very very often still, our internal log which runs all the way from server up to down shows it’s done up to 15 times a day! (please no questions on this)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    edited January 2023
    The intended way of playing the underwater encounter has largely been voiced as terrible, even more so after the patches to restrict player's to it. But that means nothing because the devs intended for it to be done this way, and it's up to us as players to accept that they know what is best for our enjoyment of Ultima Online the "MMORPG".
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited January 2023
    To kind of piggyback off Yoshi's post; ATL does have UW run several times a day as you will often see people call out for help with it at various times a day. Nobody uses the crabs down there though as there are too many issues with them and they don't "do" enough. Typically you will see a handful of sampires as the main damage dealers and then everyone else tossing summons (RC or EVs or earth eles) while spamming heal on the sampires and most others (healing alone gets you looting rights). It's actually one of the few public events I've been to in the past several years where there is heavy teamwork going on with random people for a greater good.

I haven't done it a ton but typically it's like at least 8 people needed (or 6 VERY good players) which consists of maybe 3-4 sampires and 4-5 healers. I could be wrong on this but I think you would have a very hard time without at least a couple warriors taking damage as the boss would chew through mages/summons pretty quickly otherwise.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Good question. How would you bond these pets?

Have to somehow stay there a week?  Log off and log on again a week later but never leave? Then you have a tamer stuck there and can never return to land?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,897
    It's always been a flawed broken encounter seldom done until the exploit 
    edited January 2023
    "literally just done it with like 15 people there
    underwater logs for atl:
    today (BSTime):
     — Today at 01:07
    Today at 02:32
     — Today at 03:11
     — Today at 03:55
    — Today at 12:27
     — Today at 15:10
     — Today at 15:51
    — Today at 16:31
    — Today at 17:07
    — Today at 17:43
     — Today at 18:17
    — Today at 18:51
     — Today at 19:25
     — Today at 20:01

time now 20:42

but nah seldom done..."

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • How many of those players were tamers? And how did they not have their pets attacking others?
    edited January 2023
    "none use, I do it on my tamer, but i don't use the crabs anymore, by the time i find one and tame it, the boss ia too low health already cos there's so many people, i just use earth eles because there's enough sampires there dealing damage i can just heal and get looting rights"
    translation: most active server in game has people actively doing it, almost nobody is using the "intended" method with crabs though, and mages can just use summons to scab looting rights.

the pet method was a neat concept for trammel despise, still had flaws back then that really weren't fleshed out with the release of this encounter, or since.

personally i don't do this encounter at all, purely out of laziness, but if i did i would just bring a bard and four cross healing dexxers and call it a day. park the bard, make a usebandage and bandage last macro, make windows tiny and click through them to xheal and toggle specials.

ezpz
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    gay said:
    translation: most active server in game has people actively doing it, almost nobody is using the "intended" method with crabs though, and mages can just use summons to scab looting rights.

the pet method was a neat concept for trammel despise, still had flaws back then that really weren't fleshed out with the release of this encounter, or since.

personally i don't do this encounter at all, purely out of laziness, but if i did i would just bring a bard and four cross healing dexxers and call it a day. park the bard, make a usebandage and bandage last macro, make windows tiny and click through them to xheal and toggle specials.

ezpz
    What is most strange, is that, I suppose, it would only take a small adjustment to crabs, in order to restore their functionality for this Boss....

Just buff them up so that they do not die that easily and can actually fight the Boss and, of course, stop their attacking other players....
    popps said:
    gay said:

ezpz
    What is most strange, is that, I suppose, it would only take a small adjustment to crabs, in order to restore their functionality for this Boss....

Just buff them up so that they do not die that easily and can actually fight the Boss and, of course, stop their attacking other players....

What is crazy is that it would only take small adjustments for probably 90% of everything that currently has needed re-adjustment or re-balancing in this game for years now. But it just never happens, there is no interest, and in the rare occasions change does happen, it's likely not done correctly and then never touched again because "welp we changed it once already, maybe we'll look at it again in a couple years."
    “They never changed the crabs, they have always been broken, (attacking players)
    it’s just that it only recently got noticed because people actually tried using them instead of using exploits to import their own pets.

(But i admire the OPs excuse that they had no idea they were using an exploit before. I wonder if that excuse could roll for everything else.)”
  • I’ve always known Crabs to be a bit Salty, maybe that’s why they attack everyone but the boss. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• My reasoning would be just just simply put a hitching post down there and let tamers partake in this.

What's the argument against that?
  • I believe the intent was to make it a unique experience that they wanted to be fun and interesting, instead of just the same old stuff with a story no one pays attention to. Personally though, I have no issue with pets being allowed down there. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Can you even imagine what would happen if they made it so that all chars would have to use crabs and not be able to use their skill set?  Cluster....
    My reasoning would be just just simply put a hitching post down there and let tamers partake in this.

What's the argument against that?

There is no valid argument against that other than what the devs have stated so far.

They created the encounter to be done with the crabs. That's it. They specifically did not want tamers to use their personal pets in it.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I have not played the deep yet but what does a tamed crab's loyalty rating say when a tamer lores the crab?  

What happens if you feed the crab? Does its behavior change?
    edited January 2023
    “Loot is as good as if not better than the roof just sans cameo drop.
    I done the roof the other day (party of 4), normally takes about 30-45mins? - plus waiting time for players.
    Looking at the log file for Atlantic, it takes 30 mins for the doors to reset, so boss is killed sometimes in only  4-7mins. 

Only 1 person needs to get the keys.

Perhaps they should require each participant to collect keys

just saying..”