This is becoming a joke

The lack of engagement and lack of response from any of the developers involve with UO is sending a message loud and clear. Not only is there absolutely no updates or news for this game and what lies ahead for 2023, but the last big update we got was just confirming that not much work was going into New Legacy.

Also, I reached out by email back on Monday about an account problem and have not heard back as of yet. Even after a follow-up email.

I love this game. I really do. But it's worrisome when there is nothing from the team. How can UO be treated like this?

How do I get through to customer service to get an answer on my email?

UO deserves so much better.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Pm @AtlanticRealtor for any account customer service. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    While I do not disagree with you on the lack of engagement; it is a bit par for the course on the lack of updates the last few months of the year and even the first 2 months of the new year. 

I'm not saying it's right because a little bit of interaction goes a long way but honestly I wouldn't expect anything from them until late Feb or early March. 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I agree it is worrisome and that UO deserves better. It really isn’t that hard to communicate. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I worry about the games future as well.  See only long time players and returning players.  But, don’t see any other newer players like myself.  Never thought I would be playing with others my age.  I like that but don’t see anyone replacing the players that are no longer with us since I started four years ago.
    UO seems biased in every way towards meeting the needs of long time players without regards to the needs of the rest of us.  UO’s lack of any meaningful response to innocent players flagged afk in the last event also really bothers me.
    Can’t think of what else to say right now, but wanted to agree that I am also worried about the game’s future.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I'm not worried at all. This is only 1 server out of hundreds out there. UO will live forever in some form. 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    The whole game is a joke these days! The lack of enforcement of the ToS is sad, pitiful, and a slap in the face of the few honest players left. It's just about time to shut UO down for good!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I'm sure (but maybe not) that I'm in the minority and could care less if New Legacy ever goes live. I don't have the time to do what I want to in the existing game so I certainly won't jump into another version of this game. As long as UO delivers the new event cycles we are used to, and some new content now and then,  I will be content.
  • Hippo said:
    I'm sure (but maybe not) that I'm in the minority and could care less if New Legacy ever goes live. I don't have the time to do what I want to in the existing game so I certainly won't jump into another version of this game. As long as UO delivers the new event cycles we are used to, and some new content now and then,  I will be content.

There are quite a few people who genuinely don't care about New Legacy at all and never have. I personally know many who were actually very angry when NL was announced. All of our thoughts boil down to one very simple explanation: all of this energy in revamping crafting, skill gain, new quests etc. could be ... nay, SHOULD BE ... focused on the actual game that we've all been playing and paying for for 25 years. All of these things the dev team seemed so excited about in the beginning of the NL rigamorale are literally all of the things we've been begging for at M&Gs for years and years.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "I am a little concerned if they are putting so much work into NL then is the NL shard going to be so different to normal shard? then when people have finished their year in NL shard, will they then like or be able to play the other shards, if it's so different"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "I am a little concerned if they are putting so much work into NL then is the NL shard going to be so different to normal shard? then when people have finished their year in NL shard, will they then like or be able to play the other shards, if it's so different"
    The idea is to move the good things from NL to production shards. But as now, posters have differing options on what is good.

We know crafting will change to a skill/time based system in NL. And skill gain will change. But, will their ideas make it to NL. Or end up as much of the taming revamp, items seen in the code and not fully implemented.   After 5 going on year 6, it all should be in the game.

Then you have lag. When Mesanna placed the horse clicky at the 25th anniversary Faire, all the players ran there and there was massive lag. How will NL handle populations of all shards playing in a single facet?
    Pawain said:

The idea is to move the good things from NL to production shards. 
    I would have guessed it's to create a code only they have touched so it can eventually replace what he have thrown together by god knows how many developers. 
  • Urge said:
    I would have guessed it's to create a code only they have touched so it can eventually replace what he have thrown together by god knows how many developers. 
    This is pretty much what I have thought the real intent was for a while now. NL is just a test of what they can do remaking the game almost from scratch. With that come some real caveats though.

There are a few quality of life ideas that sound decent... like the "crafter pack". But imo, the majority of the ideas will change so many things that it will not even seem like the same game. If they wind up instituting a large portion of these type of ideas onto live servers, I see UO coming to an end for me. I just wish they would streamline the game (things like one quest system, armor refinement, etc) & fix the 20+ yr old bugs. Leave the basic gameplay and systems alone.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 171
    ok so they lack the knowledge to fix bugs thats been around for years, so i have no hope for NL at all, pretty sure it will never happen. Do devs even still exists? when was the last time someone saw a post from a Dev? is UO just running itself now?
    when was the last time someone saw a GM? last week or so i had a couple issues with some things glitching out, paged a GM a few times, no response ever not even a automated response.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    GMs still active @Kyronix might not post but he watches messana hasn't been logged into forum since i think november and we definitely are overdue a newsletter or something..
    edited January 2023
    Whitewolf said:
    ok so they lack the knowledge to fix bugs thats been around for years, so i have no hope for NL at all, pretty sure it will never happen. Do devs even still exists? when was the last time someone saw a post from a Dev? is UO just running itself now?
    when was the last time someone saw a GM? last week or so i had a couple issues with some things glitching out, paged a GM a few times, no response ever not even a automated response.
    I guess you missed this thread.  Pretty easy to make false conclusions with your eyes closed.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/11825/urgent-bug-to-fix-with-auction-safe/p1

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    NL sounds like a testing shard to me 

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 2023
    Hippo said:

There are quite a few people who genuinely don't care about New Legacy at all and never have. I personally know many who were actually very angry when NL was announced. All of our thoughts boil down to one very simple explanation: all of this energy in revamping crafting, skill gain, new quests etc. could be ... nay, SHOULD BE ... focused on the actual game that we've all been playing and paying for for 25 years. All of these things the dev team seemed so excited about in the beginning of the NL rigamorale are literally all of the things we've been begging for at M&Gs for years and years.
    Add me x 3 acct to those who doesn't care another NLS. And another 5 accts from my frens who never asked about NLS.

Who is excited about NLS?

We are paying sub for a 25 year old game, why should we get excited for a day 0 game. They should just pull out that 1997 CD and play straight away. True legacy, zero dev time. 

Try that out and we may all get bored and just walk away after 1 season. Save time and effort for everyone.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MacroPlanetMacroPlanet Posts: 70
    edited January 2023
    It's just interesting to me that the official game of UO has a developer team that doesn't seem to be present at all. In the mean time, there are hundreds of free-shards that are ran by dedicated fans of the game. Most of them probably have a better experience when it comes to reaching out to a developer. 

For example; ******* has posted 10 updates about their game since the official UO team has posted anything on their front-page. Not only did *******constantly patch and update their game and let players know via an announcement, but they even came up with a brilliant new login system for people that have multiple accounts. Constant events that have happened as well. The devs are easy to reach and are constantly on their discord. I can't even get a single email response about a paid account from Broadsword.

I've been an avid supporter of all things official UO for a very long time now. However, it's starting to make sense to me why so many people have left for greener acre's. Official UO is starting to feel—to me—like it may be on life support and it's all because the dev team seems to be ghosting us.

edited by Mariah
  • looploop Posts: 301
    To play devil's advocate, the team would probably just get flamed anyway:

"Why are you working on New Legacy? What a waste of time!"
    "I'm going to cancel one of my seven accounts if you don't do X!"
    "Add X to the UO store! Do it now!" (This one I find amusing... )

We can presume that there hasn't been any news because there is no news to offer. They're behind on New Legacy, and the existing servers are in maintenance mode until it comes out.

Not meaning to "apologize" for Broadsword or anything like that. It's a missed opportunity that we haven't seen more community/press engagement, more media, etc., all of which would help the team manage expectations, but be careful what you wish for: It could be a good thing that they aren't messing with the live servers!
  • @MacroPlanet ; DM sent
    @Pawain ; TY :)

@KHAN ; like others have mentioned , some people like to just cry and complain about anything and everything.  Others like to help or like @Pawain mentioned, some of us play for so long that know how the complicated system work.
    loop said:

but be careful what you wish for: It could be a good thing that they aren't messing with the live servers!
    That way of thinking there is the problem. I hate to say it this way but we've been conditioned to a subpar system. 

Freeshards don't cost a penny and their teams are more hands on with community expectations, hopes and dreams and build off that. Bug fixes are the highest priority and they do not hesitate to curb stomp someone that gets out of pocket. 

The reality is it should be the exact opposite. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited January 2023
    Urge said:
    loop said:

but be careful what you wish for: It could be a good thing that they aren't messing with the live servers!
    That way of thinking there is the problem. I hate to say it this way but we've been conditioned to a subpar system. 

Freeshards don't cost a penny and their teams are more hands on with community expectations, hopes and dreams and build off that. Bug fixes are the highest priority and they do not hesitate to curb stomp someone that gets out of pocket. 

The reality is it should be the exact opposite. 
    100% agree. A good amount of people have been way too lenient on what has been delivered by the Dev team and the result is that many of those same people rejoice when we actually do get something new; like a new set of pixels ("oooh look hanging lanterns is the new content from Jul-Oct!! They have done it again!"). I said it as soon as the dynamic system went into place that if we are going to get relatively cookie cutter events that's fine but there should be 3-4 cycles a year (1 cycle = all 3 dynamic pieces) but what they've done instead is give us 2 that basically last 4 months with a heavy break in between (and some people want the events longer lol). Some free shards get new events monthly... why do we need to wait 3 months to even find out something new is coming? 

Glad to see some people are starting to wake up but there are still some people that will still find something like a semi-annual monthly newsletter as acceptable and "Dev engagement".
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Some personal attacks have been removed.
    Please keep posts civil and respectful, thank you.

Not everyone plays they way others might wish they did, but when someone has proven to be willing and able to help players navigate the sometimes difficult account process they should not be attacked for it.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Mariah said:
    Some personal attacks have been removed.
    Please keep posts civil and respectful, thank you.

Not everyone plays they way others might wish they did, but when someone has proven to be willing and able to help players navigate the sometimes difficult account process they should not be attacked for it.
    Come on @Mariah, you are better than this! There is a HUGE difference in "Not everyone plays they way others might wish they did" and being allowed to willfully violate the UO ToS. Just saying! If it is now allowed to cheat, then the rules need to be amended, and @Mesanna needs to make an announcement. Let EVERYONE be "on the same page".
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • Yeah I agree with @Mariah there shouldn't be any personal attacks going on. My whole purpose with this thread is to just understand why communication takes so long. Ideally it would be great to hear more often from the development team, even if it was just a simple "here are some things going on in these shards" and it could even just be stories to share, just to know that the dev team still is around and interested in the game. It goes a long way!

I apologize about bringing up another free-shard, but I don't know how else to compare the official UO team without naming a free-shard team.

I just want UO to be its best! We all do.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 171
    Pawain said:
    Whitewolf said:
    I guess you missed this thread.  Pretty easy to make false conclusions with your eyes closed.

and im guessing your missing the part where i said the bugs thats been around for years.

edited January 2023
    Whitewolf said:
    Pawain said:
    Whitewolf said:

and im guessing your missing the part where i said the bugs thats been around for years.

I can play every day without issue. The only bug that used to affect my play was the targeting not working well.  Targeting worked great in Deceit.

What bug stops you from playing?  Players are playing UO every day.

No @Grimbeard none of the bugs you constantly complain about have any bearing on my play.  So troll somewhere else.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    “Pawain you spend 100% of your gametime in trammel, 
    you’re not playing the game”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    “Pawain you spend your whole time in trammel, 
    you’re not playing the game”
    Great place to play!  More than 20 years and counting.  I also use only CC.  So, I do not envy what others use, 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Maybe someone resigned and left the team, and waiting for the new guys to come on board.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
This discussion has been closed.