You know ...

I don't complain about a lot. I love this game, even with it's flaws but the one thing that is probably going to make me quit at some point is the logging in to find all my macros gone OVER AND OVER. I knew as soon as I heard the music it was going to be a mess so I logged on with not my main account. It was fine. I logged in with my main account and it was fine. Log out, log in as another character on that account ... they are all gone. AGAIN. 

It takes a long time to set everything and then have to remake all the ... stupid ... macros again ... IT IS RIDICULOUS. 

If I wanted to do the same thing over and over, I wouldn't set macros. 
Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
Governor of Moonglow

Discord: txeggplant
maithceol@gmail.com

Comments

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I wonder why you are experiencing this. I’ve never had it happen to me before, personally. One thing you could do is make a copy of your character file after you set it all up so you can just use that file whenever the macros disappear again. 

But something is causing this to happen that needs to be figured out for sure. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited January 2023
    Not sure why you're experiencing this problem, it's not a common one, but I seriously suggest that you copy your user data files so that if this does happen you can simply copy the back ups back.

I made a wiki page to help with this process, you'll find it here:

• TXEggplantTXEggplant Posts: 160
    edited January 2023
    Me either. I did back my files up but now the USB stick is corrupted, I'm 1500 miles away from my desktop and my husband is telling me he can't find ANY UO files on my desktop in that location. So ... frustrating. 

I'm not using the incognito spell ... I'm not changing anything. It happens for no reason at least once a month.
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

maithceol@gmail.com
  • Mariah said:
    Not sure why you're experiencing this problem, it's not a common one, but I seriously suggest that you copy your user data files so that if this does happen you can simply copy the back ups back.

I made a wiki page to help with this process, you'll find it here:

Oh and thank you
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

maithceol@gmail.com
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,895
    It happens with windows updates randomly 
  • mine does this like all the time!  but ive noticed its usually because ive went afk and timed out, or lost power.... seems like if you dont go through the steps of logging out that for some reason if dosent save.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    As everyone says, this is not a normal problem.

Just checking it is not the basics...

When you create Macros, you have to log the game out properly for them to save, ie - using the Paperdoll Log-Out option. If you don't, the macros will not save.

If you crash out, time-out, hit the X at the top of your screen - none of these count as a proper log-out, and your new macros will not be saved.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2023
    Me either. I did back my files up but now the USB stick is corrupted, I'm 1500 miles away from my desktop and my husband is telling me he can't find ANY UO files on my desktop in that location. So ... frustrating. 

I'm not using the incognito spell ... I'm not changing anything. It happens for no reason at least once a month.
    I keep mine on the cloud, not because I lose them a lot as you have described (never experienced this issue), but so I can access them from whatever computer I find myself using. it may have been mentioned already but what client? 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• TheoTheo Posts: 169

I keep mine on the cloud, not because I lose them a lot as you have described (never experienced this issue), but so I can access them from whatever computer I find myself using. it may have been mentioned already but what client? 
    It is 2023.  Why doesn't UO keep them in the cloud?  Why are these not stored with our account at the server level?  Why do I gotta manage this?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Probably because it's a 25 year old game that they haven't touched the structure of in maybe 15-20 years? They've been working on NL for like 3-4 years now without anything to show as progress; do you really think transferring everything to the cloud would be in scope?  :D
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Forget the NL comment (it's just trolling) consider the number of code lines that reference that info. Each would have to be rewritten and then bug checked. Probably easer to start from scratch.

At the time the normal practice was to write changes to file at closing. Probably from lack of cpu power and normal drive speeds. Remember back then 2400 was a high speed modem.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    The problem I encountered with player files in the cloud is the difference in screen resolutions of the different computers I used.  My desktop has a larger resolution then my laptop and I take advantage of the increased screen size on the desktop. Having the player files in the cloud would mean both my laptop and desktop would have the same layouts and I would have to rearrange the layouts whenever I switched between the two computers.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2023
    “I back up my macros anytime I change anything on any char. 

I too regularly have absolutely all my macros and setting disappear and uo starts with the music and movie like a fresh install.
    it happens when PC crashes while UO is running, but it’s prob not uo causing the crash normally, I have many other programs (OBS, discord, pingzapper, various web tabs, works software etc) all running at the same time. 

But it’s not issue anymore I just copy paste from backup”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Cookie said:
    As everyone says, this is not a normal problem.

Just checking it is not the basics...

When you create Macros, you have to log the game out properly for them to save, ie - using the Paperdoll Log-Out option. If you don't, the macros will not save.

If you crash out, time-out, hit the X at the top of your screen - none of these count as a proper log-out, and your new macros will not be saved.
    Thank you!
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

maithceol@gmail.com
  • I have been schooled on how to properly shut my game down and why it's important LOL. I don't mind finding out it was a "me" error versus a game error and THANK YOU everyone who responded.

My hubby was finally able to find the file from the day before I started traveling and email it to me and I've saved it to my computer and in OneDrive so I can access it. In a way, it worked out better because now I know what I'm doing wrong and also, the file he sent me had my old macros on it before I switched to a skill that I wasn't sure about. By the time he sent it, I was sure I wanted to go back to the old skill so ... they were all there :)

Thanks again everyone!
    Maith Ceol, Chesapeake
    Governor of Moonglow

maithceol@gmail.com
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Knowing how to copy the files allows you to also put them on characters on other shards and save some basic setups. Like making a folders with a basic mage and warrior set up that you can place on new toons.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I copy character files any time I copy a character to test center so that I not only take the character, I take the macros too.