Measure of a good thief

2»

Comments

• My last word on this topic.
    Dictionary Definition
    play:
    engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
    This is how I play UO. It's not a 'job', I don't need to do it faster, or more efficiently, I just need to enjoy it.
    Key word being play.  I totally agree with @Petra_Fyde ;
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• My last word on this topic.
    Dictionary Definition
    play:
    engage in activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.
    This is how I play UO. It's not a 'job', I don't need to do it faster, or more efficiently, I just need to enjoy it.
    Please move to Baja. We need a shard that has an abundance of people with this attitude. Baja has a good start.
    Just saying....  :p
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    edited December 2022
    I craft Exodus keys whenever my guild wants to run it - no need to go spend hours down there trying to steal them.

My thief is also my T-mapper who is also my Trick-or-Treater at Halloween time. I have a few skills I stone off and switch around as needed, and she's fun to use. No macros or scripts necessary.

~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • RinerRiner Posts: 361
    edited December 2022
    That’s funny @JenniferMarie as I read this thread I found myself laughing about all the whining that thief’s didn’t get the keys as fast as fighters. I make 20-30 keys in a less than a hour. @popps I know this has been said before but perhaps you have forgotten, not all templates give the same results. There will never be equality among the different templates or play styles. There is no intent to even try. You have to look at the options and decide what you want out of playing. So please stop wasting time whining that everyone should get the same prize no matter how they play.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    Riner said:
    That’s funny @ JenniferMarie as I read this thread I found myself laughing about all the whining that thief’s didn’t get the keys as fast as fighters. I make 20-30 keys in a less than a hour. @ popps I know this has been said before but perhaps you have forgotten, not all templates give the same results. There will never be equality among the different templates or play styles. There is no intent to even try. You have to look at the options and decide what you want out of playing. So please stop wasting time whining that everyone should get the same prize no matter how they play.
    +1

Agree with this and also find it a bit funny because crafting keys and things like candy canes etc is one of the few reasons to actually still use a crafter (don't want to open that can of worms on this thread though). 
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Before I started doing champ spawns a few months ago, my thief was always my funnest character to play. I still take him out now and then just to grab what is out there or to explore or observe others undetected.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,168
    Ben said:
    Before I started doing champ spawns a few months ago, my thief was always my funnest character to play. I still take him out now and then just to grab what is out there or to explore or observe others undetected.

I know this character is probably 100% humor and likely not meant to optimize gear but I did want to mention that there are several +skill items a thief can use (burglar bandana / cloak of silence / royal guard cloak / jewelry / etc ) to essentially add a whole other skill to the thief template (ie ninja).

My thief is rocking +110 skills from items but could actually be +130 if I dropped stealing more (currently use shadow dancers for +20 stealth but do not get the benefit from the +20 stealing). That toon is also built for PvP so my jewels have been geared towards HCI/DCI/EP instead of adding extra skill so you could probably bump that up at least another +30 if you found the right pieces.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2023

For me, the measure of a good PvM Thief, would be one who has collected all of the items from; Bedlam + Doom + Tokuno Dungeons + Wrong + BMV Ararat + Castle Blackthorn + Stygian Abyss + Underworld + VvV.

Quite a lot of content, fun collecting it, not worth so much, but it’s the challenge of the collection really. Lot of pages in the Wki giving info, overall, a fair amount of content. 

Stealing – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Stealing from Monsters – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Artifacts – Doom Stealable – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Artifacts – Tokuno Stealable – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Artifacts – Stygian Abyss and Underworld Stealable – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Stealing in Dungeons – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Stealing from Town Shops – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Stealing in Exodus Dungeon – Ultima Online (uo.com)

There are also Left-over Hidden Chests from Kotl and Khaldun that are fun to collect, as well as in the Underwater BMV Ararat – which I cannot find a reference to anywhere.

Halloween – Treasures of the Kotl City – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Halloween – Treasures of Khaldun – Ultima Online (uo.com)

Stealing Sigils part of VvV is fun, and makes all the rewards there easily collectable, especially the Deco if you wanted that to add to the collection. Sounds PvP – but the Sigil stealing part is mostly PvM these days.

​​Vice vs Virtue - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

At the footer of this link, are a lot of Deco items that are collectable.

You can also get Armour Refinements from towns;

​Armor refinement - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

And finally, Dungeon Chests are fun.

I think there is more content that players realise, yet I could also understand if players wanted some more meaty, up to date event like content to aim for.
    edited January 2023
    Mariah said:
    Haha - Yes, I saw them, and they are fantastic, I was going to include them, but the bit I was specifically after - was the Hidden Chests around the Ship - such as those found in Khaldun, Kotl or Exodus - I did not see them mentioned. :)

{It's a bit like with VvV - I did not see much mention of the Sigil Stealing process - or a list of the VvV Deco rewards. UO.Com went down as I was looking, so I stole the page from UO.Guide, which is also incomplete, but I found a mention of the Banners and Tiles from VvV rewards.

• GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,018
    Arnie has a all blessed all 70s suit that gives him +70 stealth 10 stealing and ten snooping this allows a lots of room for templates i always run
    120 resisting
    120 ninja
    100 hiding 
    50 stealth 
    I can go 120 taming/lore 90 vet
    Or 90 tactics/anatomy/healing/weapon 
    And of  course 
    120 stealing 
    100 snooping 

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,981Moderator
    edited January 2023
    There is nothing in the chests around the Ararat apart from a few small gems if I remember right.

The main VvV page is here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/combat/virtue-versus-vice/ it includes a link to the tiles & banners page and information about stealing sigils. I did have images of where all the sigils can be found, but was asked by JC Builder not to publish it.  I can add that information if it's deemed to be needed.

edited January 2023
    Mariah said:
    There is nothing in the chests around the Ararat apart from a few small gems if I remember right.

The main VvV page is here: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/combat/virtue-versus-vice/ it includes a link to the tiles & banners page and information about stealing sigils. I did have images of where all the sigils can be found, but was asked by JC Builder not to publish it.  I can add that information if it's deemed to be needed.

Ahh those Banners are very cool, I think I've been meaning to get them forever, I'll definitely do it now, just my style. Yep, I did not find that page for some reason, think I was having internet issues or UO.Com was. Just read all the VvV stuff, yes I think it is perfect - I dont think locations have to be there, once youve found them, it gets easier. Your call. I do still know all the locations.

Hmm - I need to think about the Ararat chests, I may go and double-check, I thought the Gems were really helpful, Not massive, but different and useful.

those are large gems, I thought the chests only had small ones. I may need to send my thief down there to check that.
    edited January 2023
    Mariah said:
    those are large gems, I thought the chests only had small ones. I may need to send my thief down there to check that.
    Yes - this is why they stuck in my head - one of the few places you could get them, outside mining etc. This was my point. That's why I'm saying I need to go down and check as well :)
    so far only found small gems, and 2k gold per chest... did quite a few...

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    Mariah said:

Does JC still play ? Can you please add the sigil location 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “What mapping program do you use? I can give you a file for the mapper you use that adds the labels, 
    (A bot builder requested the exact locations so I still have them)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Skett said:
    Mariah said:

The link to this should appear at the bottom of the main VvV page around noon EST
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Thief is the best template to play. It's also the most neglected with zero signs of anything being added to make it a viable temp even after years of foot stomping and Kleenex grabbing by the players, including myself. 

VvV is the most profitable but also the most boring and repetitive thing a theif could do. Your only other option is camp spawns and hope the moon and stars align for a lucky grab. 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Skett said:

If interested in a VvV feature pm me.

After 4 years unfixed i think it's safe to consider it a hidden addition. 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    Mariah said:
    Skett said:
    Mariah said:

The link to this should appear at the bottom of the main VvV page around noon EST
    Ty