Jewelry boxes should be capped at 125 items

ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
edited November 2022 in Bugs
Jewelry boxes are extremely difficult to move from one location to another (e.g. moving houses), as once loaded, they count for more than 125 items, and cannot be placed on e.g. a pack horse / beetle.  You must unload the jewelry box manually to get the effective item count below 126.

Expected behavior:  jewelry boxes count for 125 items max (while still holding up to 500 jewels),  to allow them to be moved around more easily.  Alternately, they could count as 1 item for moving purposes.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Not a bug. They were designed like this. You can stop at 125 items if you prefer that cap. This is not the make UO conform to my play style forum.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    Not a bug. They were designed like this. You can stop at 125 items if you prefer that cap. This is not the make UO conform to my play style forum.
    I'd label this one a "usability bug", with no obvious user friendly work-around (*).  If you want to attach some other label to this (bug vs feature link), you're welcome to do that, and then you (and Yoshi?) can rally broadsword to create a new subforum for such posts.

(*) In the past in UO, you could walk through a gate travel gate dragging a container of almost any weight - that would be an OK work-around.  If jewelry boxes were craftable, that would be an OK work-around.

Thankfully, most engineers look past labels like what seems to be triggering for some people in the bugs subforum.  Afterall, we now have seatbelts (and later airbags link), and we no longer have pets that go wild in UO when the loyalty drops.  All examples of moving the ball forward from how things were initially done.
    edited November 2022
    Should we also reduce the amount of BODs in a BOD Book?  Not easy to carry a full one that is 125 items.

Are you not intelligent enough to stop at 125 items since this would solve YOUR issue.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "(if you left click the container you get an option to relocate container in your house, this won't help you relocating to a different house though)"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited November 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "(if you left click the container you get an option to relocate container in your house, this won't help you relocating to a different house though)"
    It moves the item and the item is not secure. In the case of a jewelry box or a BOD book, the item has a requirement of the total items inside. So doing this would cause the jewelry box to be xxx item count. You may not be able to lock it down.

So, if you are over max items you will not be able to lock it down. If you have a lot of vendors and you are at near capacity, A vendor falling could cause your house to be over capped. There are a few scenarios where you can exceed max storage and do not realize it and move an item and can not lock it down again.

Changing the Jewelry box to a 125 cap does not fix any of them.

If they wanted us to store 10,000 jewels in our bank they would have designed to jewelry box to have a 1 item count all the time, not just when locked down.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited November 2022
    Pawain said:
    Should we also reduce the amount of BODs in a BOD Book?  Not easy to carry a full one that is 125 items.

Are you not intelligent enough to stop at 125 items since this would solve YOUR issue.
    You are welcome to file a bug "or label ___ here" for the BOD issue if it bothers you.

I already have a house with 12 jewelry boxes loaded with 400-500 jewels.  There is no time machine in UO, so I can't go back and change how loaded the boxes are, can I?
    • As I said before, a fine change would be to cap the jewelry box at 125 effective items (when loaded w/500 jewels).  (that would avoid the "exploit" you later raise with loading the bank with 10K +jewelry items).
    • Another fine work-around is to allow us to craft jewelry boxes, then I can craft up to 4x the boxes, with a tedious unload/load operation to follow the crafting.

Pawain, I don't know why you appear to be taking this so personally.  It's a usability issue that effects me, and likely other players too.  You don't have to call people stupid -- are you trying to replicate an approach used in meet and greets?
    “Genuine question, how does it work with a Davies locker (with over 125 maps) can you move them?”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Why would anyone have 12 Jewelry boxes with that many items, that is 4800 items.
    edited November 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “Genuine question, how does it work with a Davies locker (with over 125 maps) can you move them?”
    I think those turn into a 1 item deed. They are not containers, you axe them to relocate. Garden shed keeps the item number.
    edited November 2022
    Pawain said:
    Yoshi said:
    It moves the item and the item is not secure. In the case of a jewelry box or a BOD book, the item has a requirement of the total items inside. So doing this would cause the jewelry box to be xxx item count. You may not be able to lock it down.

So, if you are over max items you will not be able to lock it down. If you have a lot of vendors and you are at near capacity, A vendor falling could cause your house to be over capped. There are a few scenarios where you can exceed max storage and do not realize it and move an item and can not lock it down again.

If they wanted us to store 10,000 jewels in our bank they would have designed to jewelry box to have a 1 item count all the time, not just when locked down.

"as usual i have to double check everything Pawain says, if he says the sky is blue I would look up to double check.

i just tested this i have 1828 available storage
     i secured an empty Jewelry Box, now 1827 available storage
    I filled with 20 jewels (not sourced from my house), still 1827 storage
    i relocated the container and resecured it, still 1827 storage.

I would side with the OP, as the items are not counting as items while secured in the container. "
    edited November 2022
    Yoshi said:
    Pawain said:
    Yoshi said:

"as usual i have to double check everything Pawain says, if he says the sky is blue I would look up to double check.

i just tested this i have 1828 available storage
     i secured an empty Jewelry Box, now 1827 available storage
    I filled with 20 jewels (not sourced from my house), still 1827 storage
    i relocated the container and resecured it, still 1827 storage.

I would side with the OP, as the items are not counting as items while secured in the container. "
    As usual you are not reading what I said.  If you have only 50 storage left, and your jewelry box has 100 items in it. (this was an issue when they first came out and players refilled their houses and decided to move it to another location.)

If you unlock or relocate your jewelry box you will not be able to lock it down.

When locked down the jewelry box does not count the items inside it towards your items. Nor would it count them if not locked down. During the lock down process it counts the items inside.
    edited November 2022
    “He is not requesting an item count of 1,
    he’s requesting an item count of 125

i think this is reasonable. But yeah not a bug, feature request”
    edited November 2022
    Yoshi said:
    “He is not requesting an item count of 1,
    he’s requesting an item count of 125

i think this is reasonable. But yeah not a bug, feature request”

He is asking for them to count as 125 instead of 500 when full and unlocked.  

I doubt they will do that tho. 

Add it to the 2023 wishlist.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited November 2022
    Pawain said:
     During the lock down process it counts the items inside.

A few things:
    1. The statement above is not true.  If you release a full (500 jewels), in a house that is at/near capacity, there is no problem re-securing said jewelry box.  Even if the statement above was true, what I propose certainly wouldn't make that worse.
    2. The formula used to calculate the weight of the jewelry box appears to be 10 + (0.3 * number of jewels).
    3. A jewelry box with 500 items counts as 501 items when trying to move it into e.g. a pack animal.  You need to unload a jewelry box to 124 items in order to put the box on a pack animal.  yet another work-around suggestion:  allowing pack animals to exceed 125 items, up to their weight limit.
    4. The developers could likely change the ratio of how many items the jewelry box is counted as it relates to moving it, much like how the BOD book works.  0.2 effective items per loaded jewel would be OK.
    5. The jewelry box does not appear to be a container per-se. it appears to create a new item (courtesy of knowledge of the objectId) when an item is removed;  it deletes items that are added to it.  Other "compressing" items like this likely exist too.  This is another reason to allow us to craft jewelry boxes, as it reduces fill-rate in the shard database (the one that is backed up periodically, and apparently retained for some government top secret duration of time).
    6. Go ahead and ask broadsword to create a "feature request" or "change request" sub-forum, if you so choose.  Broadsword can provide a "change/feature request" template that people can fill out, if they desire this.
    7. I note there were several responses on this thread in the last 24 hours that appear to be "stealthily" deleted by an admin (starting with a "messed up" reply that had been edited down, and an offensive reply later on).  Given the admin didn't move this thread to another subforum, I imagine broadsword is fine with this being an acceptably formatted bug report.  
    8. I would not fault Yoshi for reading comprehension in this thread.  I note yet again, some people can't help avoid lobbing insults.

edited November 2022
    I posted the same thing twice so I changed the second copy to messed up. No conspiracy there. Was nice of them to remove it. Thanks.

And YES YAY they did make it so you can lock them down if they exceed the house limit.

I can finally move mine, but I am used to where they are.