18.75%
    2. No
      81.25%
  3. Shard32 votes
    1. Atlantic
      25.00%
    2. Comment other
      75.00%
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I’ll just assume anyone who says yes to number 1 
    was afk…”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2022
    Just my 2 cents, I think all the different types of cheats are causing a mix up.

Originally, I think it was called playing the game unattended. This means the player could be sleeping for 8 hours while the toon repeat a macro infinitely or a script routine.

If one just stands outside the dungeon like bank sitting, he is not doing anything right? Why should that AFK be punished?

Ofcourse, an archer AFK inside a dungeon will be seen as playing unattended.

AFK is not wrong, it's whether the toon is doing some auto function while the player is away.

So if someone running around and killing he may not notice GM asking a question. 

Should the GM appear in character and get the players attention, check if they respond before applying the 30mins damage block.

Once again, which cheater macro AFK just 30 mins only? If anyone is really AFK playing, they would go AFK for several hours and let the toons autoplay , so they need to be banned for days. Bucs Den hot bath.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Yoshi said:
    was afk…”
    Your wrong there. Literally pressing buttons attacking a moving from room to room when boom. No dmg done
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Again the only people I see complaining and getting flagged afk have a few posts... Don't see any veteran players having afk problems SMH 
  • CadyCady Posts: 21
    vortex said:
    Again the only people I see complaining and getting flagged afk have a few posts... Don't see any veteran players having afk problems SMH 
    I only have a few posts, my account on the forums is also older than yours.  I’ve been playing on and off for 23 years, have I not earned the ‘veteran player’ status.  I was also actively moving between rooms in the dungeon, pressing a targeting macro, and in one case talking to another player when I got hit with AFK timeout.  Does my post count determine the truthfulness of my testimony?  
  • TheoTheo Posts: 167
    I don’t really get what this AFK flagging is about. Is it to combat a stealth tamer just letting their pet get drops? Because with necro spawn and wither you can’t AFK this event.  

Seems like they are trying to fix a problem from last event programmatically while ignoring the current events problem with the decer multibox scripting. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Theo said:
    I don’t really get what this AFK flagging is about. Is it to combat a stealth tamer just letting their pet get drops? Because with necro spawn and wither you can’t AFK this event.  

Seems like they are trying to fix a problem from last event programmatically while ignoring the current events problem with the decer multibox scripting. 
    Stealth Tamers ?

Talk about, instead, packs of BOT scripted archers who kill anything that spawns faster then a tamer might have time to comand "all kill" and they drop before the pet actually reaches the creature......
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2022
    popps said:
    Theo said:

Stealth Tamers ?

Talk about, instead, packs of BOT scripted archers who kill anything that spawns faster then a tamer might have time to comand "all kill" and they drop before the pet actually reaches the creature......
    You have seen this on your shard or are you just regurgitating what a poster with an agenda wrote?

Seems you use any excuse whether real or not to not play UO but come complain about how difficult it is for you. Without trying to play. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Not been hit with this and have played enough to get multiple items from the turn in. i'll return and post if it changes..
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• not on here complaining got busted cheating. I report people daily in the dungeon. jjust adding that legit players are getting hit with this.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 171
    vortex said:
    Well this is a prime example of someone putting foot in mouth, speaking without knowing what he is talking about..etc
    Ive been playing since the days i could kill you, cut you up turn you into jerky and eat you, and i been hit with this afk flagged 3 times now on my archer, each time i was not afk, BTW seems some confusion on what AFK means, it means away from keyboard, no red text no GM tryin to talk to me, nothing just 1 second im doin damage next second nada.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited October 2022
    I have multiple guild mates that have been hit by it and even hear random players sitting outside the dungeon complaining about it. Let's stop calling it an 'afk punishment' because that's clearly not what is going on here. Has to be some automated system where if you haven't moved X tiles in Y minutes you get flagged. Another kick in the face to tamers that don't really have to move a whole lot. All makes sense now.... no wonder the bot army sampires are doing what they're doing. Another feature added to the game to discourage legitimate players and benefit bots, good job.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    edited October 2022
    In the last, actual Treasures of Tokuno - in Tokuno - many players were caught AFK macroing at Fan Dojo etc, killing demons and succubus.

I thought I read somewhere that for the new ToT, the drop rate would be affected if a player stays at one server area for long period of time. (edited) So that was one of the reasons why we recall around different locations, besides trying to get more kill during the luck or potion hour.

@Kyronix it helps to confirm if this can be done instead of the 30mins ban. I don't think players would tell lies about this, as there is nothing to gain.

• Yoshi said:
    was afk…”
    No I wasn't, I was insuring my drops 
    Another time I stopped to recover my health before jumping back in
  • Its getting stupid now, can't even stand still to recover from being near red lined 
    I have not been hit by any afk ban so far even when I had to stop for a while to ww, heal or extermo vomica or expor flamus.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yea same. 

Funny part would be if some of these are the people that are running rails/scripts while actively playing and that's what they are getting flagged for (ie they move in the same pattern every time). I mean technically they aren't AFK but anyone using automated scripts might be getting hit (and I'd agree with it).
  • No.
    No.
    Yes, and also obviously I'm not qualifying to be an AFK bot.

Y'all really need to chill and see a game again what it is. A game.

And then you can try to enjoy it again, because an automatic game can't be funny at all ;)

Right?
    You need help with simple stuff? https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ -- Otherwise - can I has your stuff?
    edited October 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Yea same. 

Funny part would be if some of these are the people that are running rails/scripts while actively playing and that's what they are getting flagged for (ie they move in the same pattern every time). I mean technically they aren't AFK but anyone using automated scripts might be getting hit (and I'd agree with it).
    I am not sure, but I am using the original EC with zero add on. Maybe the system detects what client and addon we are using, and apply different rules. 
    edited October 2022
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yea same. 

I am not sure, but I am using the original EC with zero add on. Maybe the system detects what client and addon we are using, and apply different rules. 
    Maybe you can explain to me how the "auto-attack target" function works? What it sounds like to me is that it's auto attacking a hostile as the player (or it) pops on the screen without the player needing to do anything? AND it sounds like they can easily "toggle" through the targets too? Shewwwww!!

That's not possible in CC unless you keep pressing the macro key for whatever you assigned the SelectNearestTarget --> Hostile + AttackSelected macro (which btw doesn't work very well if you press it multiple times to "retarget") and if a player is pressing that macro (or holding it down) there will likely be some issues with using other macros. That said, there is nothing "auto" about the CC version.

Might just be verbiage but when I hear things are "auto" that instantly makes me think of a script because the entire make-up of the game as I know is pretty manual. Ie - if I'm poisoned and want to cure I need to press a button to cast cure / drink a potion... if I'm automatically cured by myself while I'm pressing other macros (ie casting etc) that's scripting. There are several of these "auto" scripts out there that I've seen first hand in use in PvP (which is why I stopped pvping) that "auto" arm/cure/trap box/attack/etc while the player is executing other actions as well and it's very obvious. 

So again - can someone explain to me how they "auto attack target" and seamlessly toggle through them while also constantly do things like UseAbility / cast spells / say all kill / etc? If you can prove it's possible to do all the "auto" stuff in EC then that's probably all I need to make the switch and deal with the graphics.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yea same. 

Maybe you can explain to me how the "auto-attack target" function works? What it sounds like to me is that it's auto attacking a hostile as the player (or it) pops on the screen without the player needing to do anything? AND it sounds like they can easily "toggle" through the targets too? Shewwwww!!

That's not possible in CC unless you keep pressing the macro key for whatever you assigned the SelectNearestTarget --> Hostile + AttackSelected macro (which btw doesn't work very well if you press it multiple times to "retarget") and if a player is pressing that macro (or holding it down) there will likely be some issues with using other macros. That said, there is nothing "auto" about the CC version.

Might just be verbiage but when I hear things are "auto" that instantly makes me think of a script because the entire make-up of the game as I know is pretty manual. Ie - if I'm poisoned and want to cure I need to press a button to cast cure / drink a potion... if I'm automatically cured by myself while I'm pressing other macros (ie casting etc) that's scripting. There are several of these "auto" scripts out there that I've seen first hand in use in PvP (which is why I stopped pvping) that "auto" arm/cure/trap box/attack/etc while the player is executing other actions as well and it's very obvious. 

So again - can someone explain to me how they "auto attack target" and seamlessly toggle through them while also constantly do things like UseAbility / cast spells / say all kill / etc? If you can prove it's possible to do all the "auto" stuff in EC then that's probably all I need to make the switch and deal with the graphics.
    Some use the term “auto-attack”, but I think it’s more appropriately called “auto-defend”.  I can’t speak to if it works the same in EC, though I would assume it does…

Generally speaking if you are armed and in war mode you will fight back when attacked.  It looks more like auto-defend for a melee character because you can’t see any reaction until the mob reaches the character… but for an archer/thrower they shoot/throw as soon as they are targeted making it seem more like an auto-attack.
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yea same. 

For CC, I heard there was a simple action that can auto aggro all the mobs in nearby. This was used at champ spawn to draw targets over for whirlwind. I am not sure if this is true and have never tested this myself as I use EC only. Maybe Yoshi knows about this.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yea same. 

For CC, I heard there was a simple action that can auto aggro all the mobs in nearby. This was used at champ spawn to draw targets over for whirlwind. I am not sure if this is true and have never tested this myself as I use EC only. Maybe Yoshi knows about this.
    There are several ways to do it.  Getting on a mount, teleporting, and opening your paper doll are some examples that will pull agro from all mobs on the screen not already agro to something else.
    Interesting...looks like a mod did a stealth "clean up" on some post because I was going to go back to DemonKillers post about "auto attack" and toggling and it's no longer there. My question is directly related to that.

I am very familiar with how "auto defend" works and how to get mobs to attack me but let's be honest besides the fact it's not a reliable means of striking a target (sometimes the aggro is on a target a few tiles away rather than next to you) this isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about in Deceit on ATL when you go to the jail cell area (as an example) and people are running on screen while I'm remounting or casting thunderstorm (to get mobs in cells) having everything aggro'ed on me and auto hit various mobs (ie they are not "auto defending"). 

Go to ATL Deceit jail cell area and just watch; the "auto attackers" aren't shy about it. They literally run up and down the hall and open doors without stopping (and not facing the door) and run into each room hitting each target seamlessly. I'm willing to accept I'm not in the know about what legal macro this is in EC so once again my question is: How does a player "auto attack target" while other players are on screen already aggro'ed on the mobs AND have the ability to toggle targets so quickly that they essentially do not need to stop moving? Same with "auto" opening doors while not facing them (ie OpenDoor macro)?
    edited October 2022
    Just an additional thought. People that are "auto" anything like I mentioned before (arm/cure/heal/tap box/target/etc) that are running around the dungeon seemingly defying the mechanics of the game like this or have 2 other chars following you doing the same thing (legally I'm sure they will swear); it doesn't matter that you aren't AFK while playing (likely as your script runs) because it's still bending (or breaking) the rules. I don't think they ever said this was an "AFK" punishment. More likely it's a suspicious activity punishment (more likely for scripting... AFK or not).

While some people I'm sure are wrongly hit with this timer, I'd be willing to bet there are many more people that are doing something outside of what they should be doing and then want to complain about it because they were caught. This is like people getting in trouble for unattended macroing while they are surfing the internet with UO running in the background. They become enraged because "they were at the computer" while completely ignoring the fact that they weren't actively playing. At least in this case it's just a timer and you don't get sent to jail or your account suspended.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I finally posted a screen shot of the group in the Dojo, every toon runs up to the Oni the instant it spawns. I get that Now Following will get them all to follow with "always run" turned on they'll be fast, but they all also attack and kill the Oni, which I'm pretty sure isn't aggroing on 8 clients. And very few people even cared about that post, I cc'd a dev, he didn't care, I paged twice and waited , and none came, because no one cares. Everyone here knows exactly what's going on and what's being used, just legalize it already, because.........no one cares.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • ...Everyone here knows exactly what's going on and what's being used, just legalize it already, because.........no one cares.
    Possibly the most notorious MMO for botting, gold farming, griefing, that even had a illegal detection program called "game guard" - many years ago finally gave up and put in a function to allow normal players to legally play afk. They put in a right click function that allowed your macro (you could write fairly long macros) to run automatically 24/7. Take 2+ accounts, go to an area with a controlable spawn, right click the macro on each character, go take a nap,, go fix dinner, even go to bed. You most likely will be still alive unless someone decides to take a murder count on you (you can't lure mobs from long away in this game - they go home). The game? Linneage 2 (which many have probably never heard of before.)

This is not the game I want UO to turn into, but it is sadly half-way there.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    edited October 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Just an additional thought. People that are "auto" anything like I mentioned before (arm/cure/heal/tap box/target/etc) that are running around the dungeon seemingly defying the mechanics of the game like this or have 2 other chars following you doing the same thing (legally I'm sure they will swear); it doesn't matter that you aren't AFK while playing (likely as your script runs) because it's still bending (or breaking) the rules. I don't think they ever said this was an "AFK" punishment. More likely it's a suspicious activity punishment (more likely for scripting... AFK or not).

For the "auto" attack one thing I would suggest is it could be EC using the Pinco UI - both perfectly legal. I would set up a macro something like this: Smart Nearest Target (Filter for target type ie attackable, enemy, criminal) - Attack current target - delay (if looking to target numerous mobs in a short time would have a 1 sec delay) - Smart Target Next Target (again filtered) - attack current target - delay (1 second) - repeat as often as you like - could add specials to the list with delays as you wanted. This would stop when an action outside of the macro was done but could quickly restarted. 

As for opening the doors, I'm not aware of either EC or Pinco's UI providing functionality that you don't have to face the door. 

As for the AFK punishment Mesana only made this statement when asked about it during the meet and greet: 

Doc Holiday]: so i'd like to hear more about the afk - nerf / ban situation
    [Mesanna]: the only thing we will say is that event was designed for active game play

I surmise that what is happening is that something is monitoring player movement - this is however just a theory. I have tested it by taking a character down to the 4th level of Deceit around 3 am and standing invisible. Occasionally I would cast a spell with the toon and then reinvis. After about 30 minutes I attempted to attack hostiles and was not able to. I was in a closed room and the door did not open nor did I see anyone else. I watched for this as some have suggested that you only get punished if you are actively reported. So, I'm pretty sure they have some monitor program based on actual movement across the room. Doesn't matter a lot I'm just curious of things which are a "secret" 
    edited October 2022
    Riner said:
    keven2002 said:

For the "auto" attack one thing I would suggest is it could be EC using the Pinco UI - both perfectly legal. I would set up a macro something like this: Smart Nearest Target (Filter for target type ie 

Yea I get that but then you need to assign a hot key to that macro correct? So technically this isn't "auto" anything. Maybe "auto" was misused but maybe it was a Freudian slip because I've seen several people look like they are auto attacking everything as Demon mentions. Also, how would someone "toggle between" targets since it should be targeting the nearest (as per what Demon said in his post)??

Now factor in that you would need to keep hitting that macro over and over looking for a target to hit. Now factor in that you also are going to want to use your secondary ability as much as possible (assuming it's another macro because if it's the same key as target and you don't hit your target then hitting the key again will turn off the ability)...now factor in that doors should be opened whenever you are near them (and not facing them) so you can run around whacking everything you can. 

I'm literally seeing this on a daily basis on ATL so it's possible (whether legal or illegal is up for debate) and these are likely some of the people posting here that "...but i wasn't AFK!!!!".

So my guess is that these are the cases where people are getting tagged and that's the point of my questions... that unless there is just some best kept secret macro in EC or Pincos that will allow you to "auto" things (my guess is there isn't) people are probably getting tagged for suspicion of scripting.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2022
    You really do not need a weapon special on the non Paragons.  You can run a macro on your keyboard or mouse also that repeats the button for target and attack. I'm not sure what you think targeting over and over does not allow you to do.  There's not much to do but get in range and target attack a mob. 

If these players you speak of are distance warriors then they could just run on a "rail".  If there is more than one of them they do not need to use a weapon special. 

A melee warrior is going to have to go to targets, the normal mobs do not move fast enough to let them come to you.  If they are this type, they are either moving the mouse and running or they have some way for their character to recognize and follow targets.

If they are this type are they chasing targets?

We do play on computers, someone that knows how the game mechanics work should be able to make it do whatever they want.

Since I use composite bows, I have been wondering if I could kill more/time if I use moving shot, so I don't have to stop. I'm not that motivated right now tho. I'd rather not play at a high stress level.

If you really want to further investigate.  Are they using a weapon special? You can hear them. Are they taking damage and how do they heal. Do they always use the same path? Do they change floors?  How complicated is what they are doing?

I do not see anyone doing this.  If I did, I would make a game of it and try to kill the mobs before they got to them. Or I would see how many paragons they can fight at once.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.