Question about Reforging for 100% Elemental...

I understand the RNG but then, if so, why is that, reforging with a Shadow Hammer Runic (Powerful Re-Forging + Grand Artifice + Inspired Artifice + Choose Name >> Exquisite Quality) yields me most of the time Mage Weapon -20 ??

I am talking, like out of 50 tries, well above 30 where Mage Weapon -20 ....

And of course, then other unwanted properties such as durability, lower requirements and the likes...

Getting Elemental Damage other then Physical, even partial, was for me very rare...

I am just trying to understand....

If it was all up to the RNG, shouldn't then the odds be moreless the same and, thus, get pretty much any property, included Elemental Damage other then Physical, to show up about with the same ratio ?

Yet, as I said, I got Mage Weapons -20 all over the 

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    That's the thing about RNG.... it doesn't need to conform to continuous odds.

It's like rolling a dice. Technically you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 3 but each roll is independent of each other. Just because there is a 1 in 6 chance each time you roll doesn't mean you are going to get a 3 within 6 rolls. So you can roll it 10 times and still not get a 3. This is the same as RNG. 

Welcome to UO, where the thing you are trying to get is the last thing you will actually get. The key here is to start trying to mage -20 magery weapons and suddenly you will get 4 100% element weapons in a row.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    keven2002 said:
    That's the thing about RNG.... it doesn't need to conform to continuous odds.

It's like rolling a dice. Technically you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 3 but each roll is independent of each other. Just because there is a 1 in 6 chance each time you roll doesn't mean you are going to get a 3 within 6 rolls. So you can roll it 10 times and still not get a 3. This is the same as RNG. 

Welcome to UO, where the thing you are trying to get is the last thing you will actually get. The key here is to start trying to mage -20 magery weapons and suddenly you will get 4 100% element weapons in a row.
    Yes, but still, it does not explain how, out of 50 tries (200 Shadow Runic charges), well over 30 were on a single property, Mage Weapon -20, out of how many total possible properties that one can get with that reforging combination ?

This is not random, to my opinion, not at all....
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Sometimes I get what I want with 1 hammer, sometimes 3 or 4 hammers. It's random.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Actually I can explain this.
    When you choose a single name there’s a chance it will roll a random property outside of that name, mage weapon appears in 2 names (arcane/of wizardry) and elemental appears in only 1 name so you’ve technically got very slightly more chance of rolling mage weap”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Yoshi said:
    “Actually I can explain this.
    When you choose a single name there’s a chance it will roll a random property outside of that name, mage weapon appears in 2 names (arcane/of wizardry) and elemental appears in only 1 name so you’ve technically got very slightly more chance of rolling mage weap”
     <3

There you go @popps. You have your answer. Next topic. 
  • KazKaz Posts: 123
    That actually is a very informative response. 
    Thanks @Yoshi!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited October 2022
    Bookmark whichever you like.  

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/imbuing/runic-reforging/
    https://www.uoguide.com/Runic_Re-Forging

I can read the UOGuide chart better.

To get one property you have to get that roll, then you have to get the 100% elemental that you want. Which is a 1 of 9 chance to get the elemental after you RNG just 1 property.  Its early I hope I counted correct.

If you do enough of them you could end up with Fire and Undead slayer. :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    A question (hopefully a sensible one?)  It's been proven that if you choose 2 'names' you will only get properties from those names, so when using a shadow runic in hope of an elemental, is there a second name to choose that would reduce the chance of getting unwanted properties?  I'm tempted to try 'exquisite' and 'animated'. Would that be a mistake?
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2022
    "the problem is, if you choose 2 names it also lessens the strength, so i think with a shadow you'll be less likely to get 100% elemental and instead will roll 70% or less.

Also by roling 2 names with a shadow (which more often than not yields i think one property)you'll be instantly cutting your odds of getting elemental in half.
    Reforging is all about probability. The current options popps has chosen which is the general advice is i think the most efficient way to get 100% ele"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Thank you, that answers my question very well :)
  • RadstRadst Posts: 90
    Seth said:
    Sometimes I get what I want with 1 hammer, sometimes 3 or 4 hammers. It's random.

This thread is a perfect example why this forum has too many trolls like @Seth who posts garbage everyday, when the obvious solution to the OP is "Powerful + Quality". And yet Seth likes to talk to himself without actually helping if he actually read the OP.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Radst said:
    Seth said:

This thread is a perfect example why this forum has too many trolls like @ Seth who posts garbage everyday, when the obvious solution to the OP is "Powerful + Quality". And yet Seth likes to talk to himself without actually helping if he actually read the OP.
    You mean you actually read 100% of what popps write  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     :D 
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited October 2022
    If I could chime in here a moment. Yoshi pretty much hit it on the head. I have crafted a lot of elemental weapons, and believe me, I have burned through numerous hammers. It was only recently that I got a clue and realize that Dull Copper is the lesser ore to Shadow. For every 2 Dull Copper hammers I will usually get at least one clean, 100 percent elemental weapon, if I set it up for that. When using Shadow, which is more expensive in time working bods or buying with gold, I might get the same number of elementals crafted, but it will also often include some other crap added that I did not ask for. Goodness, if only I could get all of those Shadow Runic Hammers back and trade them for Dull Copper. Oh, well.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Ben said:
    If I could chime in here a moment. Yoshi pretty much hit it on the head. I have crafted a lot of elemental weapons, and believe me, I have burned through numerous hammers. It was only recently that I got a clue and realize that Dull Copper is the lesser ore to Shadow. For every 2 Dull Copper hammers I will usually get at least one clean, 100 percent elemental weapon, if I set it up for that. When using Shadow, which is more expensive in time working bods or buying with gold, I might get the same number of elementals crafted, but it will also often include some other crap added that I did not ask for. Goodness, if only I could get all of those Shadow Runic Hammers back and trade them for Dull Copper. Oh, well.
    @Ben

If one wanted to use a Dull Copper runic hammer in place of a Shadow runic hammer to reforge 100% exceptional weapons, what would be the name or names that would need to be picked ? The same as those for the Shadow runic Hammer ?

Thanks.
    popps said:
    Ben said:
    @ Ben

If one wanted to use a Dull Copper runic hammer in place of a Shadow runic hammer to reforge 100% exceptional weapons, what would be the name or names that would need to be picked ? The same as those for the Shadow runic Hammer ?

Thanks.
    Well, let me sign on and take a look to be sure, take pic while I am at it. Yes. Exquisite of Quality. Pay no attention to the number of charges. This is with a Shadow Runic. I do not have any more Dull Copper, but the set up on your reforging chart is the same.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited October 2022
    The information I was given for the page I added to the wiki stated:
    Dull copper can be used for fire, cold and energy, these can be raised to 100% by enhancing provided fire is 60% or above, cold is 70% or above,  energy is 80% or above. Bronze for fire, agapite for cold, copper for energy. Enhance while holding a +60 Ancient Smith hammer for smith weapons. Remember that tinkered items, although reforged with a hammer,  will need to be enhanced using a tinker kit.

Shadow should be used for Poison which can not be raised by enhancing and therefore must be achieved by reforging alone.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/imbuing/runic-reforging/runic-reforging-for-specific-properties/

Mariah said:
    The information I was given for the page I added to the wiki stated:
    Dull copper can be used for fire, cold and energy, these can be raised to 100% by enhancing provided fire is 60% or above, cold is 70% or above,  energy is 80% or above. Bronze for fire, agapite for cold, copper for energy. Enhance while holding a +60 Ancient Smith hammer for smith weapons. Remember that tinkered items, although reforged with a hammer,  will need to be enhanced using a tinker kit.

Shadow should be used for Poison which can not be raised by enhancing and therefore must be achieved by reforging alone.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/imbuing/runic-reforging/runic-reforging-for-specific-properties/

Wow. That clears up a lot. I was wondering why I could not enhance my less than 100 percent Poison elemental weapons.