Nowhere to train the starting Begging skill from NPC beggars ?

I wanted to train Begging on a character and buy the starting skill from a Beggar NPC, hopefully a GrandMaster Beggar for more starting skill..... well, forget about it....

Just found blue Beggar NPCs which can only hire, not train skill from, and found zero, none, nada Yellow Beggar NPCs in none of the towns and, yes, I also checked out the Gipsy Camps in Ilshenar (only can train from Vagabonds Item ID), both those static in the Desert and that by the Compassion Gate and also the moving ones by the Honor Moongate.... spent like 1 hour, all for nothing.... no Yellow Beggar NPC to train the starting skill from...

Yes, checked New Haven and none there too....

Where is a players supposed to find them ? Grandmasters too, hopefully ?

@Kyronix ?

Comments

• ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    Find a gypsy they can train you in begging
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Chrille said:
    As I mentioned in the OP, I did check out both Gypsie camps at the Desert in Ilshenar (West and East), the one by the Compassion Moongate, and even also the moving Gypsie Camps by the Honor Moongate.... no dice....

Checked all Gypsies, one by one, and only Vagabond Gypsie offer training in 1 skill, too bad, that it is Item Identification.... no Gypsie of no kind offered training in Begging...

So, where and how is one supposed to purchase the starting training in the Begging skill ?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    popps said:
    Chrille said:
    As I mentioned in the OP, I did check out both Gypsie camps at the Desert in Ilshenar (West and East), the one by the Compassion Moongate, and even also the moving Gypsie Camps by the Honor Moongate.... no dice....

Checked all Gypsies, one by one, and only Vagabond Gypsie offer training in 1 skill, too bad, that it is Item Identification.... no Gypsie of no kind offered training in Begging...

So, where and how is one supposed to purchase the starting training in the Begging skill ?
    In the time between your first post and this how many points of skill have you gained? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    popps said:
    Chrille said:

If you still play on Catskills I suggest you find this individual:

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Once again @Mariah - I'm not sure if this person even plays the game and tries something before posting. This has the feel of another argument thread in which he "sees it" differently as everyone else in the game and wants it to change. Probably can go ahead and close this thread now that he has his answer.
    Mariah said:
    popps said:
    Chrille said:

If you still play on Catskills I suggest you find this individual:

Hmm... thank you for the tip.....
    edited October 2022
    By the way, is there a way to bypass the skill downtime in between a begging and another ?

I timed it to 11 seconds which it makes extremely slow to do skill checks and, since not all skill checks give a 0.1 gain, the 11 seconds downtime in between skill uses, makes it quite abysmally slow to gain in begging.... and also using Alacrity scrolls seems to be a waste of gold.... I mean, in the 15 minutes that an Alacrity scroll lasts, with an 11 seconds downtime in between skill uses, a scroll only consents roughly 81 skill checks (900 seconds/11).....

At this pace, getting to 100.0 begging might take way longer then trick or treat will remain active...

Transcendence scrolls ? Way too expensive.... for a few decimals they might be fine, but for serious points like 20 or 30 it costs way more then it might be worth for the rewards that trick or treat might yield... me thinks...

By the way, the Ball of Knowledge has no use when training up the Begging skill ?

I have it turned on but, when begging an NPC, I get no message from the Ball of Knowledge whatsoever...
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    popps said:
    By the way, is there a way to bypass the skill downtime in between a begging and another ?

I timed it to 11 seconds which it makes extremely slow to do skill checks and, since not all skill checks give a 0.1 gain, the 11 seconds downtime in between skill uses, makes it quite abysmally slow to gain in begging.... and also using Alacrity scrolls seems to be a waste of gold.... I mean, in the 15 minutes that an Alacrity scroll lasts, with an 11 seconds downtime in between skill uses, a scroll only consents roughly 81 skill checks (900 seconds/11).....

At this pace, getting to 100.0 begging might take way longer then trick or treat will remain active...

Transcendence scrolls ? Way too expensive.... for a few decimals they might be fine, but for serious points like 20 or 30 it costs way more then it might be worth for the rewards that trick or treat might yield... me thinks...

By the way, the Ball of Knowledge has no use when training up the Begging skill ?

I have it turned on but, when begging an NPC, I get no message from the Ball of Knowledge whatsoever...
    No
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Try training poisoning as a mage.  Think that is 20 seconds between try’s.  Depends how long you play each day and how much time you spend training.  Would expect it would take about a week playing two or three hours a night but you would not much time left over for The dungeon event or butchers if you really went for it.  That’s just a guess,  Have never trained begging.  Finding sufficient npc’s might be a problem.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Might have started begging sooner since you have been around long enough to know that you need it for Trick or Treating and you've had plenty of time to train it, why start now after the event has already started?

Pinks and Blues are your friends, begging is as bad as taming to train :/

Larisa said:
    Might have started begging sooner since you have been around long enough to know that you need it for Trick or Treating and you've had plenty of time to train it, why start now after the event has already started?

....begging is as bad as taming to train....

With a notable difference, though....

The gameplay which the training in Taming opens up, is way deeper and way more rewarding as the gameplay which training in begging opens up to a player....

There is no comparison in what a player gets for the related investment in time in the training of the skill..., to my viewing....
    popps said:
    Larisa said:

....begging is as bad as taming to train....

With a notable difference, though....

The gameplay which the training in Taming opens up, is way deeper and way more rewarding as the gameplay which training in begging opens up to a player....

There is no comparison in what a player gets for the related investment in time in the training of the skill..., to my viewing....
    So choose to not do it 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    If it’s too hard to train, just eat the pinks. Either way will get you to gm. Posting here won’t make it easier.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Figure out a route that maximizes the number of eligible npcs.  Use runes.  Maybe start in Trinsic then recall to Britain, then recall to ?  Just keep doing the route.  Also as others have mentioned shop blues and pinks.  Agree with others you should have started sooner, sorry.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Some disrespectful and discourteous comments have been removed. 
    Arnold7 said:
    Figure out a route that maximizes the number of eligible npcs.  Use runes.  Maybe start in Trinsic then recall to Britain, then recall to ?  Just keep doing the route.  Also as others have mentioned shop blues and pinks.  Agree with others you should have started sooner, sorry.
    WIthout the Ball of Knowledge working, I am having a hard time figuring out which NPCs give a succesful begging skill check and which ones, instead, are useless to try with....

The messages intended are (https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/begging/) : 

I feel sorry for thee… here have a gold coin
    Begging succeeded

They seem unwilling to give you any money
    Begging failed

You are too far away…
    Stand closer to the NPC and try again

Here take this
    Begging succeeded, the target was Heartwood elf – you have been given an item

There is little chance of getting money from that.
    The NPC has no back pack

Only in the last case, when the NPC has no backpack, I understand it is pointless to keep trying with that NPC but with the message "They seem unwilling to give you any money" I understand one can insist trying with that NPC because, eventually, it can yield gold and, thus, give a succesfull begging skill check....

Problem is, that on some NPCs I insisted like 20+ times on the same NPC before he/she finally gave me gold and, thus, a succesfull skill check....

As I said, without the Ball of Knowledge working with begging, I have no way to tell whether a given NPC is a waste of time, or not....
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    Why do you make something as easy as begging so complicated? 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    popps said:
    Arnold7 said:
    WIthout the Ball of Knowledge working, I am having a hard time figuring out which NPCs give a succesful begging skill check and which ones, instead, are useless to try with....

The messages intended are (https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/begging/) : 

I feel sorry for thee… here have a gold coin
    Begging succeeded

They seem unwilling to give you any money
    Begging failed

You are too far away…
    Stand closer to the NPC and try again

Here take this
    Begging succeeded, the target was Heartwood elf – you have been given an item

There is little chance of getting money from that.
    The NPC has no back pack

Only in the last case, when the NPC has no backpack, I understand it is pointless to keep trying with that NPC but with the message "They seem unwilling to give you any money" I understand one can insist trying with that NPC because, eventually, it can yield gold and, thus, give a succesfull begging skill check....

Problem is, that on some NPCs I insisted like 20+ times on the same NPC before he/she finally gave me gold and, thus, a succesfull skill check....

As I said, without the Ball of Knowledge working with begging, I have no way to tell whether a given NPC is a waste of time, or not....
    There is a way beg if it works good if not... 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Pawain said:
    Why do you make something as easy as begging so complicated? 
    Yeah all you need to do is use the skill over and over again on valid targets. Tedious, yes. But there’s really nothing more to it. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Hands down the best way to begin begging is to make a new character with 50 begging skill. Stone it and delete that character. Use another character to raise it.

Not sure why this thread is even open still. He got his answer yet it's still a debate on how something is not fair. It's the same story / different thread with this guy every single day.

Arnold7 said:
    Try training poisoning as a mage.  Think that is 20 seconds between try’s.  Depends how long you play each day and how much time you spend training.  Would expect it would take about a week playing two or three hours a night but you would not much time left over for The dungeon event or butchers if you really went for it.  That’s just a guess,  Have never trained begging.  Finding sufficient npc’s might be a problem.
    FYI @Arnold7 - you can also gain poisoning by using a combat skill and inflicting a poison strike. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    when I raised mine, I was told to go to Heartwood.
    just do a complete circle begging from the npc's.
    and there is a trash can in there (to throw away the items they will give you)
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    May I suggest you purchase a Mythic Character Token from the UO store and use it to give your character 90 begging. Then use two 5 point pinks to take you to 100 begging.  If pinks are too expensive hire 5 NPCs, lock them in a room, and beg from each of them. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    TimSt said:
    May I suggest you purchase a Mythic Character Token from the UO store and use it to give your character 90 begging. Then use two 5 point pinks to take you to 100 begging.  If pinks are too expensive hire 5 NPCs, lock them in a room, and beg from each of them. 
    ^^ yup, perfect answer.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    A few weeks ago it was cheaper to start at 50 then buy all pinks. I haven't checked begging sot prices lately. 
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Literally the easiest way skill to train... No resources needed... No danger involved... SMH 
    Just checked vendor search.  Enough 5 point scrolls at 10 million each to go from 30 to 100, and most in safe areas.  Never thought of building a character that way.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Arnold7 said:
    Just checked vendor search.  Enough 5 point scrolls at 10 million each to go from 30 to 100, and most in safe areas.  Never thought of building a character that way.
    No no no you always leave 1 slot open for a new character then start out at 50. Unless you like spending extra gold. 

I really wish they had left those cheap advance tokens in the game along with mythic. 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I spent 40 mil on 20 pts of begging and was happy to do it. Once I can bring the sots home tonight I"ll be good to go on prodo, I've never been much for deco but I want that new pumpkin lol.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
     :D  that is a cool Pumpkin! 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    Amazing that there is simply nothing that you can do without complaining about how the game mechanics are unfair to you. Might I suggest that you consider playing an easier game, maybe solitaire?