Placed Houses in Dungeons

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Ours by Cavern of Discarded is cool.  But its private and no one knows the owner.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Pawain said:
    Ours by Cavern of Discarded is cool.  But its private and no one knows the owner.

Same here the one on great lakes is private now.. Sucks I used to use the teleporter to get to the carvern quick.
  • Love that fort! I'm snagging that pic! 

Not gonna lie. I'd like an easy button for the Underworld / Abyss locals. Portal items added to the NPC goodies that become available on a ToT might be a good way to introduce them! 
     :)

I've noticed on a couple of different shards that there are underground houses, won in the contest that introduced them, are set to private. I thought one of the conditions of winning those houses was that they be kept public so people could use transporters linked to them.

I realize the houses on some shards have changed hands but I don't see why that condition shouldn't still stand.

But if we have a chance to get portals it won't matter!  ;)
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    LilyGrace said:
    Love that fort! I'm snagging that pic! 

Not gonna lie. I'd like an easy button for the Underworld / Abyss locals. Portal items added to the NPC goodies that become available on a ToT might be a good way to introduce them! 

I've noticed on a couple of different shards that there are underground houses, won in the contest that introduced them, are set to private. I thought one of the conditions of winning those houses was that they be kept public so people could use transporters linked to them.

I realize the houses on some shards have changed hands but I don't see why that condition shouldn't still stand.

But if we have a chance to get portals it won't matter!  ;)
    Yup, the reason I wanted that plot was to link it to my house at Luna so all players can access Abyss easier. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Yeah, I don't think the stipulation that those houses are to be keep public should change. Current owners should be contacted and told as much. If after X amount of time the houses aren't set to public the powers-that-be should make them private.

I can see needing to set to private when rearranging things. When redecorating or moving containers around, etc.. But they should be made public again after.

Or move the landing spots to just outside those houses. There used to be one sweet spot, the first tile on the southwest corner of the house near the fairies, that you could call in on if you had a rune that'd been marked there. Those runes worked for years and years. In fact, they just recently became defunct.  ;)

Open a tile up at each house and let us mark and recall on it.

Oh! Oh, I know! Give us portals to underground and abyss areas!  :)
  • Above post should read - If after X amount of time the houses aren't set to public the powers-that-be should make them public. But y'all knew what I meant.  :) 
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    The game being easier simply makes it easier, and less worthwhile to play. The world is a challenge. So should be our play. 
  • In regard to what, Ben? The teleporters into the underworld houses? Or portals like the crystal, corrupted, jawbone, etc?
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    LilyGrace said:

I was curious about that condition so I google for what seemed like days. I couldn't find anything about the original placements - I even went thru patch notes. So tonight I asked NANOC and Phoenix about that condition. (NANOC owns the Chessy abyss house by the faires.) They said they don't remember any such condition.
    I think most owners were nice enough to leave the house public and link them to other homes. We just got use to going back and forth freely
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    Ben said:
    The game being easier simply makes it easier, and less worthwhile to play. The world is a challenge. So should be our play. 
    Nonetheless, it also needs to be considered whether that challenge means also a great expenditure of time for players as being necessary.... 

Not all players have a whole lot of time to spend playing games and, therefore, a game that was too much demanding on the time necessary to get any of its significant achievements, could face the risk of not being appealing to a sufficiently large umber of players who, simply, lack the extensive time to invest in those challenging activities to get something relevant done in that game...

After all, we are talking about Entertainment Services, not real life... while in real life, my understanding is, that it is necessary to invest a whole lot of time into studying and/or learning a profession to then carry out during one's own life to make a living, support a family and all that, a game is a game, one spends time there for leisure, to relax, to entertain....

What I am trying to say is, at least to my opinion, that while it might make sense to invest time for something in real life, not necessarily the same could be valid, for some players, for a game...

So, and this is my opinion, a game that wanted to have a large players' base should not have its challenging tasks to be too much time demanding because that large time investment could deter some players lacking that much time to invest in a game, from wanting to play that game.

At least, that is how I see it.
  • Marge said:
    LilyGrace said:

I was curious about that condition so I google for what seemed like days. I couldn't find anything about the original placements - I even went thru patch notes. So tonight I asked NANOC and Phoenix about that condition. (NANOC owns the Chessy abyss house by the faires.) They said they don't remember any such condition.
    I think most owners were nice enough to leave the house public and link them to other homes. We just got use to going back and forth freely
    I wasn’t playing when the contest ran. I was going by what I was told the first time someone showed me a Luna house that had a rune library, numerous teleport tiles and had a hole in the floor. 

I asked what the hole in the floor was. It was explained it was an entrance into the Abyss. They explained about the contest. They said something about the varying artwork used for the teleports on different shards. And said keeping the houses public for players to use the teleports was part of the bargain. 

I always assumed he knew what he was taking about. It seemed plausible enough. Particularly since there was special artwork used to mark the entrances. I never questioned it or asked for the story to be corroborated. 
  • Just to clarify, there were absolutely no conditions tied to ownership of the Abyss homes other then having to do the quest chain to receive a ticket that entered the player into the raffle(one per char). Homes could/can be sold, traded, deco’d, & treated like any other home anywhere else in the game. Only the boss can place homes in dungeons so if one falls, she must decide what is to be done.

Players owning those homes supplying teleporters did/do so as a kindness to the community & have no obligation. Having used their teleporters when available, I am grateful and thankful but under no circumstances do i expect it & realize it may end at any time. We have seen this over the years as homes switch hands.
  • Ok thank for the clarification. Like I say, the information was offered to me secondhand. I wasn’t playing when the contest ran. My apologies for passing on bad info. And my thanks to those correcting the story. Now can we have portals for the Abyss? :D
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,082
    LilyGrace said:
    Ok thank for the clarification. Like I say, the information was offered to me secondhand. I wasn’t playing when the contest ran. My apologies for passing on bad info. And my thanks to those correcting the story. Now can we have portals for the Abyss? :D
    Perhaps a new reward for ToT that teleports people to different areas in Abyss?  ;)
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    A "hole in the floor" sounds more like the teleporter to Navrey's Lair. In order for those to work, they have to be placed in a home in Termur.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 731
    edited September 2022
    I might be conflating parts of his story. It was a long time ago. But I know for sure I was standing in a rune library in Luna when he told it. And the hole in the floor graphic was in that house. 

P.S. That would totally work for me, @keven2002
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2022
    popps said:
    Ben said:
    Nonetheless, it also needs to be considered whether that challenge means also a great expenditure of time for players as being necessary.... 

Not all players have a whole lot of time to spend playing games and, therefore, a game that was too much demanding on the time necessary to get any of its significant achievements, could face the risk of not being appealing to a sufficiently large umber of players who, simply, lack the extensive time to invest in those challenging activities to get something relevant done in that game...

After all, we are talking about Entertainment Services, not real life... while in real life, my understanding is, that it is necessary to invest a whole lot of time into studying and/or learning a profession to then carry out during one's own life to make a living, support a family and all that, a game is a game, one spends time there for leisure, to relax, to entertain....

What I am trying to say is, at least to my opinion, that while it might make sense to invest time for something in real life, not necessarily the same could be valid, for some players, for a game...

So, and this is my opinion, a game that wanted to have a large players' base should not have its challenging tasks to be too much time demanding because that large time investment could deter some players lacking that much time to invest in a game, from wanting to play that game.

At least, that is how I see it.
    Many games like Skyrim and Ghost Recon Wildlands offer fast travel.

UO has its own fast travel abilities including runes, recall and gate spells and rewards that allow us instant travel to favorite destinations.

Travelling by foot from A to B is fun at the beginning, but after you lose that fresh feeling any fast travel is a blessing.

Is this an easy button?

Who cares, anyone who likes to run A to B on foot 10,000 times please go ahead.

I will take fast travel.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited September 2022
    LilyGrace said:
    In regard to what, Ben? The teleporters into the underworld houses? Or portals like the crystal, corrupted, jawbone, etc?
    Good points. I am not sure where the middle ground is on this issue. I myself have my Ranger house in the Abyss public with two teleport tiles, one to my main home in Luna and the second to the other Abyss house owned by another player. I like playing with it, decorating and such, using it for making a cartoon, piddling, but in actuality I hold it only for a friend. Otherwise, I would close the account. I only opened that account for the contest last year on Formosa. I didn't win that contest, but after it exchanged hands a few times it eventually was given to me by a friend in the game who picked it up and knew I wanted it. I made sure it stayed public and available for all to move about. Yet, having said all this, the very nature of the contest at the beginning stage was seemingly preordained. Only a few people actually knew about it. After I asked the other house owner about why there was no second house laid out in the Abyss did he confide in me that a lottery was to be held the following month. I wrote to the Gods that Be and finally, after some pestering, found out it was true, and a stone near that lot was soon after turned into an official lottery register. So...it was all rather...interesting.
    Anyway, I suppose what I am trying to say is that I do not have a lot of time to play. Nor did I have time to play many years ago when I first started. In the early days only mages could rune to here and there, and I have to remember if there were even any moongates. I do recall taking a boat and just sailing to different places if I wanted to get there, or riding or walking. 
    Yes, it is more convenient to have such teleporters and gates for ease of travel, yet when I think back on the game, I learned so much having to hoof it in my limited time to play. I had some of the best adventures, met so many people, and ran into so many interesting encounters by having to make my way there the best way possible. Oh, and this may help newer players understand where the Camping skill came in as valuable. 
    Does that mean the game should always remain the same. No. Games evolve. 
    After a few years away from the game, when I moved overseas for a new opportunity, I met people who played, and I grew sentimental and started playing again about three years ago, after being away over 7. I have no regrets coming back. It is a wonderful pastime. In fact, I love this world that has been created for us, and I say that as someone who does not play games. I play UO. In fact, the first few years I played I did not even tell people I played a game. It was a big step when I put my real picture on this forum. I wanted to stand up and say, yeah, this is a part of me that brings me some joy in my normally hectic world. Yet, I do not think I will ever be able to capture again those feelings of the game as it existed before all that makes the game convenient and safe.
    Makes me think of that old Japanese UO flash film, called, "Memories." I have a few, and they are almost like real ones.

• I don’t mind running around Britannia using moongates. And I like doing the trade runs overland when in the mood for it. But I’d rather the option for fast travel be there when you’re looking for it. Especially if you’re pressed for time to play.
  • My friend and Guild Leader owns one of the abyss houses on Europa, Be grateful I don't own it, I would lock that baby up tight. NO-ONE would get in there :). and I would keep it linked to the other house :)

Why?
    because I can :)

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    My friend and Guild Leader owns one of the abyss houses on Europa, Be grateful I don't own it, I would lock that baby up tight. NO-ONE would get in there :). and I would keep it linked to the other house :)

Why?
    because I can :)

At least you play. I don't think the owner of the one I posted on our shard has played since he won it and designed it.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,082
    If I owned the house - I'd keep it as a blank plot just to annoy people that think the ride to Abyss should be free  :D