Classic Client : how does one check a character's STATs CAP ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited September 2022 in General Discussions
https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/player/stats/skills-stats-and-attributes/

The STATs CAP is : 

Total stats are capped at 225 for new accounts. At 6 months, all characters will have their stat cap raised by 5 points to 230. Also, Scrolls of Power can be found to raise your stat cap by up to 25 points and the special Scroll of Valiant Commendation allows a further +5 giving a final total possible of 260. Individual stats are capped at 125 real (150 with items).

Now, when one double clicks the STATs bar in the Classic Client , to the left side of it the 3 Stats are displayed : 

They show, though, the current figures including "modified" stats from items worn.

A naked character, with no stats modification from items, still shows the currently achieved stats, not what their respective CAPs are....

For example, let's assume that a 1 year old character has the following stats when wearing nothing : 

- Strength 125
- Dexterity 30
- Intelligence 75

Total comes 230 which is the total CAP.

YET, this character, let's assume this, has already used a +25 STATs Scroll of Power plus a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation so, its CAP has effectively raised to be 260 total.

Yet, the Gump only displays the currently developed stats and, thus, shows only a total of 230 total stats points.

What if, that player forgets that, for that character, they have already used a +25 STATs Scroll of Power plus a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation which has raised the CAP to 260 and uses them again, thus wasting them all for nothing since they have already been used on that character but, only, the stats have not been trained yet ?

Shouldn't there be a way, within the Classic Client, for a player to be able to double check, BEFORE applying any Scroll of Power and/or +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation, what the current STATs CAP for that character is ?

And if there already is one (within the Classic Client, NOT having to launch the Enhanced Client to check...), what would it be ?

Thanks.

Comments

• You really don't play this game much, do you.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    You can't use a 25 stat scroll or valiant comm (+5 stats) twice. It's like trying to use a 120 scroll twice. It says something like "Your skill/stats are already too high to use this item". So even if you didn't ever look at your Max Stats icon and "forgot" you already used one the game would help you out.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    This was all discussed what 3 months ago with no one able to convince him of anything.. @Rorschach lets go inky lock it up 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I like the idea from another post about giving a +1 to comments that you like so I will :

You really don't play this game much, do you.

+1

• Now more than ever we NEED an ignore feature on here.

I am 100% certain I will NEVER need to read any of these dumb posts, I will never learn anything from this poster.

In fact, I feel 1% dumber from having to endure this nonsense

Please Mariah, add ignore to this forum. I don't ever want to have to be exposed to stupidity anymore
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited September 2022

You really don't play this game much, do you.
    OK, fair enough, but still, how does one know what the "breakdown" of that Maximum Stats is ?

For example, say that a character is showing 255 as Maximum stats..... now, it could "either" be that the character, let's assume one older then 6 months, had the breakdown to 255 achieved like this : 

- 225 base CAP
    - +5 because older then 6 months
    - +20 because they used a Power scroll of +20
    - +5 because they used a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats YET, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP would be achieved with a +25 Power Scroll and NOT a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation (which was lready used at a previous time....).

But how would the player know what is needed to bring the CAP to 260 without a breakdown showing ?

The above 255 CAP, infact, could have been reached likewise, in this other manner...

- 225 base CAP
    - +5 because older then 6 months
    - +25 because they used a Power scroll of +25

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats the same, YET, this one time, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP would be achieved with a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation and NOT A +25 Power Scroll....

But by looking at that Stats gump in the Classic Client, how would a player know what they had to use to reach the 260 CAP if they did not remember what was previously used on that character ?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited September 2022
    I like how he shows a status screen and then uses a different  one in his example.

Popps someone already told you that you can't eat the valiant scroll twice. Your last try is irrelevant. 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    @Pawain look at the name on the status screen? That image comes from the wiki page, not his character.
    Mariah said:
    @ Pawain look at the name on the status screen? That image comes from the wiki page, not his character.
    I think the point &here is popps posted this exact question recently ignored every answer until the thread was locked how is this not a violation of the TOS while me posting about spellbook staps in bugs is? I think everyone knows I'm against censorship but this is crazy 
    Mariah said:
    @ Pawain look at the name on the status screen? That image comes from the wiki page, not his character.
    But in the the same post he uses an example that has a different maximum and numbers.  Couldn't he take a pic of his own screen?
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Pawain said:
    But in the the same post he uses an example that has a different maximum and numbers.  Couldn't he take a pic of his own screen?

He would have to log into the game to do that .....
     :D 
  • Marge said:
    Pawain said:

+1

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Marge said:
    Pawain said:

+1
    +2
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Marge said:
    Pawain said:

+1
    +2
    +3
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Drakelord said:
    Marge said:
    Pawain said:

+1
    +2
    +3
    +4
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    But by looking at that Stats gump in the Classic Client, how would a player know what they had to use to reach the 260 CAP if they did not remember what was previously used on that character ?
    But you don't need to REMEMBER if you've used a valiant scroll, because you have the scroll with your name on it as confirmation.

edited September 2022
    But you don't need to REMEMBER if you've used a valiant scroll, because you have the scroll with your name on it as confirmation.

And what if that used scroll was thrown away time back and the player does not remember it having being used?

Besides, for the +5, +10, +15, +20 and +25 stats Power Scrolls, after using one, nothing remains.... so, with time passing by, and the player possibly forgetting having used one, how would the player be able to know what stat scroll was used for how many points without this being retrievable as an information from somewhere ?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    @popps

It should be obvious if the account is 6mth or not.

My accounts are all veteran so it's 230. 

Then it's either 255 or 260 depends on what they eat. What else do u need to know?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

edited September 2022
    Seth said:
    @ popps

Then it's either 255 or 260 depends on what they eat. What else do u need to know?
    I may have poorly explained myself..... let me try again....

Let's assume, that a character has a total of 255 max stats.

Now, by looking at the Gump in the Classic client that reads this figure, 255, can one tell whether that character needs to use a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation OR, rather, a +25 Ultimate Scroll of Power ?

Because, as I tried to explain, that 255 figure could be reached in 2 alternative ways : 

1) -
    - 230 base CAP (because we took as granted the character's age as older then 6 months) 

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats, YET, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP would be achieved with a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation and NOT A +25 Power Scroll....

2) -
    - 230 base CAP (because we took as granted the character's age as older then 6 months) 

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats just the same, YET, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP, in this alternate scenario, would be achieved with a +25 Power Scroll and NOT a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation (which was lready used at a previous time....).

Please, tell me how would it be possible, by looking at the stats gump in the Classic Client and reading a figure of 255 total stats (that is, if the players does not remember the history of what stats scrolls they fed to that particular character), a player would be able to understand whether, for that one character, in order to reach the total possible CAP of 260 stats, they would have to use a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation OR a +25 Ultimate Scroll of Power....

I fail to understand "how" a player could be able to tell what scroll would be needed, by looking at that gump and seeing that total stats figure....
    popps said:
    Seth said:
    @ popps

I may have poorly explained myself..... let me try again....

Let's assume, that a character has a total of 255 max stats.

Now, by looking at the Gump in the Classic client that reads this figure, 255, can one tell whether that character needs to use a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation OR, rather, a +25 Ultimate Scroll of Power ?

Because, as I tried to explain, that 255 figure could be reached in 2 alternative ways : 

1) -

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats, YET, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP would be achieved with a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation and NOT A +25 Power Scroll....

2) -

The total makes 255 Maximum Stats just the same, YET, the missing 5 stats to the 260 possible CAP, in this alternate scenario, would be achieved with a +25 Power Scroll and NOT a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation (which was lready used at a previous time....).

Please, tell me how would it be possible, by looking at the stats gump in the Classic Client and reading a figure of 255 total stats (that is, if the players does not remember the history of what stats scrolls they fed to that particular character), a player would be able to understand whether, for that one character, in order to reach the total possible CAP of 260 stats, they would have to use a +5 Scroll of Valiant Commendation OR a +25 Ultimate Scroll of Power....

I fail to understand "how" a player could be able to tell what scroll would be needed, by looking at that gump and seeing that total stats figure....
    You can't eat any one twice again if you ate a +25 you can not eat another that being if you've eaten a +25 scroll and attempt to eat another you get a you have already message is this completely clear now ? Do you need an Italian translation?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    This is what happens the Devs don't put out any new content in months and don't give us any teasers about what is coming down the road for us to speculate about.

Overly bored people start asking hypothetical questions about simple game mechanics and starts giving additional hypothetical situations when people answer their previous hypothetical. 

@popps - Instead of writing novels about some hypothetical scenario that might not even be real; why don't you provide us with a specific example of how this is impacting your character right now (providing screenshots) and maybe this thread might avoid being locked.
    keven2002 said:
    This is what happens the Devs don't put out any new content in months and don't give us any teasers about what is coming down the road for us to speculate about.

Overly bored people start asking hypothetical questions about simple game mechanics and starts giving additional hypothetical situations when people answer their previous hypothetical. 

@ popps - Instead of writing novels about some hypothetical scenario that might not even be real; why don't you provide us with a specific example of how this is impacting your character right now (providing screenshots) and maybe this thread might avoid being locked.
    No because our control freak mod allow sugar troll bashing of certain posters by their little minions but heaven forbid you suggest developers aren't doing thier job or that spellbook staps are broken..
  • To sum up the Thread, play more post less.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2022
    "i think i know what popps is after, i remember seeing a menu, i thought it was pinco's UI but i can't seem to find it,
    it told you if you had eaten a stat scroll & scroll of valiant.

It would sort of help just as an informative thing to let new players know that hey, you can increase the stats as you're missing x/y"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "i think i know what popps is after, i remember seeing a menu, i thought it was pinco's UI but i can't seem to find it,

It would sort of help just as an informative thing to let new players know that hey, you can increase the stats as you're mising x/y"
    Or when they eat a 25 and it says you've already increased your power...that might work 
    Yoshi said:

It would sort of help just as an informative thing to let new players know that hey, you can increase the stats as you're missing x/y"
    Yes, I am in favour of comprehensive and through informations available to players.

Aside from being able to see what stats scrolls a character may have already used, I would also like to be able to see what recipes a character may have learned WITHOUT having to bring up a crafting Menu to tell me that I have not learned a given recipe...

Not to mention, how I would like the Loyalty Menu to also provide the information of what a Fisherman's Reputation with the Fishmonger is....

What I am trying to say is, that I think that players, rather then to find "work arounds" to gather informations about their characters, should be able to see it "flat out", easily, without having to go out of their way....

Is it too much to ask ?  I hope not !
    popps said:
    Yoshi said:

Yes, I am in favour of comprehensive and through informations available to players.

Aside from being able to see what stats scrolls a character may have already used, I would also like to be able to see what recipes a character may have learned WITHOUT having to bring up a crafting Menu to tell me that I have not learned a given recipe...

Not to mention, how I would like the Loyalty Menu to also provide the information of what a Fisherman's Reputation with the Fishmonger is....

What I am trying to say is, that I think that players, rather then to find "work arounds" to gather informations about their characters, should be able to see it "flat out", easily, without having to go out of their way....

Is it too much to ask ?  I hope not !
    So popps question is answered and we can once again lock one of his posts..