CC -> EC art/tileset conversion tool

Does a conversion tool exist, that takes as input a classic client UO install, and outputs converted tile/art files compatible with the Enhanced client (EC)?

It seems there are various utilities that can read and display the art assets for both CC and EC (pinco super viewer, etc).

If seems like this would allow many CC users to switch to EC?  How much would users pay for such a tool?  How much would broadsword pay for such a tool?

There's an EC specific bug in the bugs section, which is likely jarring for users switching from CC to EC.  That is, in EC, there is a 1-2 second delay (or longer) often when switching server boundaries, or context switch.  Easy repro is entering the Bar scenario at shadowguard.  That should also be fixed for the benefit of EC users and switching CC users.

(I'm not a CC user, but I'm surprised how often questions come up related to this).

Comments

• looploop Posts: 301
    edited August 2022
    Are you asking whether there’s a tool that puts the CC art into EC?

There isn’t one. While certainly the ugliness of the EC is a major sticking point, it isn’t the only reason why the client is poor. How the EC handles sounds and effects (hope you love screen shaking!), for example, is particularly nauseating. The UI is a total mess as well.

As an already paying subscriber, I wouldn’t pay extra for such a tool if Broadsword produced one. The cost to Broadsword would be several years of development, which wouldn’t be worth it since the private server community has already modernized the classic client. I think they would better served by just clarifying that they allow third party clients within reason.

I say this as someone who uses the EC primarily and who has modded it quite a bit.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If only we had developers 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    loop said:
    Are you asking whether there’s a tool that puts the CC art into EC?

There isn’t one. While certainly the ugliness of the EC is a major sticking point, it isn’t the only reason why the client is poor. How the EC handles sounds and effects (hope you love screen shaking!), for example, is particularly nauseating. The UI is a total mess as well.

As an already paying subscriber, I wouldn’t pay extra for such a tool if Broadsword produced one. The cost to Broadsword would be several years of development, which wouldn’t be worth it since the private server community has already modernized the classic client. I think they would better served by just clarifying that they allow third party clients within reason.

Re: bold text, don't hold your breath for that.  There are likely non-technical reasons why that is unlikely to happen.  (licensing, ...)

Nowhere did I imply broadsword would need to do the work I described.  On the other hand, the sound of silence here would probably lead anybody willing to do that work unlikely to do so.