Pet disappears = working as intended

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2022
    " @Rom
    Where was your first pet when you brought out a second pet? was it next to you?

Then what happened after it let you bring out a second pet?

i think i have heard of this before actually and i tried to reproduce, RE logging off at spawns. From memory it did indeed briefly put my follower count to 0 but after a short time it returned to 5, I'll take another look. So when you went afk the game logged you out (timed you out)? you then went to the stables and were able to claim another pet..
    okay i think i understand

it probably doesn't matter but tell me anyway what champ spawn you logged out at, and i'll presume the champ spawn was not active?"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Yoshi said:
    " @ Rom

i think i have heard of this before actually and i tried to reproduce, RE logging off at spawns. From memory it did indeed briefly put my follower count to 0 but after a short time it returned to 5, I'll take another look. So when you went afk the game logged you out (timed you out)? you then went to the stables and were able to claim another pet..

it probably doesn't matter but tell me anyway what champ spawn you logged out at, and i'll presume the champ spawn was not active?"
    Yea this was my biggest question. How did the whole had a 5 slot pet then hid (I guess was timed out?) then was able to claim another 5 slot pet happen? 

Also, why did you claim another pet instead of the one that you had originally taken out? 
    Maybe they use a 3rd party client because they paid for another UOA key but they haven't updated the dll file so they are forced to use a non approved client because the approved one isn't working.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    He said he went to Papau bank after the spawn to put up scrolls.  He did not log off or go afk at the spawn. 

He was probably doing the Ice Island one you can sail to from near Papau or the Terathan one you can go to.

He was probably using the Papau stable. Papau was not very active on LS when there was only one facet. I basically lived there for a few months when I didn't have a house.  It has all the stuff you need.  A bank, an Inn, a stable. and vendors.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited August 2022
    Rom said:

If you want to reproduce, go to a spawn with a 5 slot pet that you are not mounted on and log off.

" @Pawain he literally wrote this, we don't need your random interpretation of events on a thread where we can read.

That said, there are more discrepancies.
    If you log off at a champ spawn (fully timed out) your char gets teleported to a shrine on log in.

I am trying to repro losing the pet by logging out at champ hidden, not been able to
    This thread becomes easier reading if you filter out Pawain's comments"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited August 2022
    Yoshi said:
    Rom said:

If you want to reproduce, go to a spawn with a 5 slot pet that you are not mounted on and log off.

" @ Pawain he literally wrote this, we don't need your random interpretation of events on a thread where we can read.

If you log off at a champ spawn (fully timed out) your char gets teleported to a shrine on log in.

I am trying to repro losing the pet by logging out at champ hidden, not been able to"
    Yes that is not what he originally said, And how many thousands of players have logged off and back on with a pet thousands of times with no losses.  Some players live in Doom with a non mountable pet.
    Yoshi said:
    Rom said:

" @ Pawain he literally wrote this, we don't need your random interpretation of events on a thread where we can read.

I am trying to repro losing the pet by logging out at champ hidden, not been able to
    This thread becomes easier reading if you filter out Pawain's comments"

:D This thread and every other lol 
  • RomRom Posts: 51
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:
    " @ Rom

Yea this was my biggest question. How did the whole had a 5 slot pet then hid (I guess was timed out?) then was able to claim another 5 slot pet happen? 

Also, why did you claim another pet instead of the one that you had originally taken out? 
    After doing several back to back spawns I took a break before an event. I was offline for more than an hour. When I got back on I still had to put stuff in my house and get ready for an event. I had no pet out and my stable slots showed as 0/5. I grabbed a different pet because I would need a different pet for the event vs the spawn. It wasn't until the following day that I realized the spawn pet was gone and not in my stables.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If you opened your claim list the spawn pet would have been there to claim even if it's stuck in limbo
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Rom said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:
    " @ Rom

After doing several back to back spawns I took a break before an event. I was offline for more than an hour. When I got back on I still had to put stuff in my house and get ready for an event. I had no pet out and my stable slots showed as 0/5. I grabbed a different pet because I would need a different pet for the event vs the spawn. It wasn't until the following day that I realized the spawn pet was gone and not in my stables.
    When did you stable the original pet?
    keven2002 said:
    Maybe they use a 3rd party client because they paid for another UOA key but they haven't updated the dll file so they are forced to use a non approved client because the approved one isn't working.
    I use the stock UO EC client with no additional software installed and no files modified.
    edited August 2022
    “So where exactly did you log out?
    and was your pet with you when you logged out?
    and did you get teleported to a shrine when you logged back in?”
    Yoshi said:
    “So where exactly did you log out?
    and was your pet with you when you logged out?
    and did you get teleported to a shrine when you logged back in?”
    Paupua bank.
    No.
    No.

I'm finding that my pets will disappear often and I can relog to get them to rejoin me. I'm still not certain exactly what happened, and the GM didn't share any details from the developers and didn't reach out again after ending out interaction. What I can say for certain is that the game should not allow a player to pull out a second 5 slot pet if it considers that they already have one out. I would add to that that as a customer of broadsword, I am displeased with how they handle this situation and it tarnishes my respect for the game developers and management for allowing this to happen without corrective action. A simple potion of bonding would have made a terrible situation okay. The final result is  a justifiably disgruntled customer who was not made whole after stumbling upon a shortcoming in the game...
    edited August 2022
    “so..where was your pet when you were at the bank?

I guess technically they’re not supposed to go wild anymore, perhaps this doesn’t count if the owner is not in proximity, I’ll check it out.

slightly unusual behaviour though, under the old rules we’d have just said user error - pet went wild”
    edited August 2022
    Rom said: I'm finding that my pets will disappear often and I can relog to get them to rejoin me. 
  • I am sorry to hear that pets are still being lost. I had posted about my same experience in the past.  Pets can easily be lost today by timing out in champ spawn area. Even this week a guildmate lost a pet when he was booted from champ spawn area to shrine. His pet did not follow and his followers stayed at 0/5. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Relvinian said:
    I am sorry to hear that pets are still being lost. I had posted about my same experience in the past.  Pets can easily be lost today by timing out in champ spawn area. Even this week a guildmate lost a pet when he was booted from champ spawn area to shrine. His pet did not follow and his followers stayed at 0/5. 
    Actually, in that situation all is not always lost.  While the pet doesn't show in followers, it can be retrieved. I've done it.  I went back to the champ area to look for it, and found it. 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited August 2022
    Relvinian said:
    I am sorry to hear that pets are still being lost. I had posted about my same experience in the past.  Pets can easily be lost today by timing out in champ spawn area. Even this week a guildmate lost a pet when he was booted from champ spawn area to shrine. His pet did not follow and his followers stayed at 0/5. 
    Actually, in that situation all is not always lost.  While the pet doesn't show in followers, it can be retrieved. I've done it.  I went back to the champ area to look for it, and found it. 
    Unless it went wild and got killed before it is found and retamed..... which it is usually what likely happens if one's own character has "timed out" and has been sent to a Shrine.... that means that time has lapsed (otherwise they would have not been sent to a Shrine...), time during which the likeliness of the pet gone wild is high... as well as also the likeliness of it getting killed by the spawn.... or some other player, since we are talking of Felucca facet, is high....

End result is still, a lost pet.... and for good.....
    “i am not surprised the GMs/devs were not able to do anything with the OP giving contradictory account of what happened with still missing information. Days of questions later and we’re still no closer to finding out where he left his pet when he went to the bank. (Or why - although I guess that’s not important)

Also seems like same game mechanic abuse has been taking place, with the pet owner abusing log out/in to summon pet to their location instead of using a pet ball of summoning”
    edited August 2022
    "there is a generic problem here with players testing the boundaries.

So the devs made it so if you log out/lose connection and you didn't get a chance to stable your pet, your pet gets auto stabled and appears next to you on log in. So instead of players using this as a safeguard, people now just log out without stabling, and expect their pet to be there 100% of the time they do that. And even as is the case here, (ab)using log out/in as a way to summon a pet instead of using a pet ball.

The devs have now made it so pets don't go wild and instead will just stop obeying commands/attacking things, so now it seems players are leaving their pets unattended killing stuff while they're off at the bank - not even with the pet (something you would never do before as this would guarantee pet loss).

What's the point in them putting in safeguards if people are just going to move the goalposts on how they play?
    the devs are giving more than an inch, and the players are taking a mile"
    Yoshi said:
    “i am not surprised the GMs/devs were not able to do anything with the OP giving contradictory account of what happened with still missing information. Days of questions later and we’re still no closer to finding out where he left his pet when he went to the bank. (Or why - although I guess that’s not important)

Also seems like same game mechanic abuse has been taking place, with the pet owner abusing log out/in to summon pet to their location instead of using a pet ball of summoning”
    Excuse me? Abuse of game mechanics? I did exactly what I said about 10 times. I did a spawn, ran myself out of the spawn, hid my character and left my PC to attend to real life. When I got back I was short of time before a commitment to attend an in game event and rushed to get myself there in time. What about this was abusive?
    edited August 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "there is a generic problem here with players testing the boundaries.

So the devs made it so if you log out/lose connection and you didn't get a chance to stable your pet, your pet gets auto stabled and appears next to you on log in. So instead of players using this as a safeguard, people now just log out without stabling, and expect their pet to be there 100% of the time they do that. And even as is the case here, (ab)using log out/in as a way to summon a pet instead of using a pet ball.

The devs have now made it so pets don't go wild and instead will just stop obeying commands/attacking things, so now it seems players are leaving their pets unattended killing stuff while they're off at the bank - not even with the pet (something you would never do before as this would guarantee pet loss).

What's the point in them putting in safeguards if people are just going to move the goalposts on how they play?
    the devs are giving more than an inch, and the players are taking a mile"
    Talk about moving the goalposts, that's exactly what you're doing here. I'm talking about my pet disappearing and you're victim blaming saying that the devs have already done so much that even though their current system doesn't work as intended that it's already much better than things "back in the day." You can't judge things based on how things were, but how they are currently implemented. Are bonded pets supposed to disappear permanently under the current implementation? Stop moving the goalposts.

Edit: I will add, stop making assumptions. No "player testing the boundaries" was occurring here and I take offense to your accusations.
    edited August 2022
    "if you're the victim, why are you being so cagey and STILL haven't answered the basic question of,
    where was your pet last when this happened? (and why did you leave it there?)
    it's the simplest question surely, and 3 pages later, 1 week later, still unanswered.

But no pets are not supposed to dissapear under any situation"
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Yoshi said:
    "if you're the victim, why are you being so cagey and STILL haven't answered the basic question of,
    it's the simplest question surely, and 3 pages later, 1 week later, still unanswered"
    Yoshi said:
    it's the simplest question surely, and 3 pages later, 1 week later, still unanswered"
    I can only assume you think they were involved in some illegal activity but if so do you really think they'd have paged a GM ?
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Yoshi said:
    it's the simplest question surely, and 3 pages later, 1 week later, still unanswered.

But no pets are not supposed to dissapear under any situation"
    Dude, you're accusatory tone is ridiculous. Who do you think you are throwing around accusations and questioning my character? I don't take kindly it it. The questions you present were asked and answered in my initial posting. The answer was I did not recall exactly what had happened by the following day when I discovered it went missing. My initial thought was that I had stabled it, but I second guess myself.

Second, my pet which you stated "no pets are not supposed to dissapear under any situation" did disappear, so what would you consider me if not the victim? This is the only topic I am looking to address.

Tone it down guy...

"shrug, i dunno, I really don't know why he don't answer"

Yoshi said:
    "shrug, i dunno, I really don't know why he don't answer"

Yea, flagging you at this point. You're not contributing in any constructive way.
    edited August 2022
    "so there is a days gap between you discovering the pet is missing and it last being used okay.

This is a long shot,
    Is it possible someone else who has access to your login (EG your spouse) perhaps moved the pet from one char/account to another for some reason.
    EG Najasaurus can be used for training weapon skills as it has 100 poison resist.

I lament when my daughter borrows things"
    Yoshi said:
    "so there is a days gap between you discovering the pet is missing and it last being used okay.

This is a long shot,
    Is it possible someone else who has access to your login (EG your spouse) perhaps moved the pet from one char/account to another for some reason.
    EG Najasaurus can be used for training weapon skills as it has 100 poison resist.

I lament when my daughter borrows things"
    Negative. I am the only person in possession of my password.
    @Rom

Since it sounded like the pet was not full of 120 scrolls.  Can you share with others, what build you are using to do the champ spawns?

A naj with what build?