Deciding to try fishing and tmaps

UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
My vet player noobie moment. I'm extremely bored and considering making a fisher and t-hunter. 

Do i need anything other than fishing (and fighting skills) to do mibs? How do you find the coords?

Tmaps: I get the concept but is there an easy way to find the location without using a 3rd party mapper?

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Saxton to find cords 
    fishing any fighting skills or pet you only pull up sea serpents 
    I haven’t don’t the new revamped tmaps yet 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Use EC  ;)
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    edited July 2022
    my main fisher is a thrower
    a friend made me a reptile slayer cyclone
    and I can use it to kill the sea serpents and water elementals
    that I sometimes pull up while fishing for the SOS
    (other fishers I have use Magery to energy bolt them)

EC has a feature to set a waypoint on the map
    (it will be a yellow dot on your map 
    and there will be a flashing vortex on the water when you get close to it)

if you use Pinco's UI (user interface)
    the yellow dot will be a ship in the water
    but he removed the ability to see the flashing vortex
    (he does have an icon that tells you how many spaces away 
    you are from the nearest SOS)

=========

I didn't like doing them in CC
    It took me way too long to find them
    because you have to use a sextant
    (I could only do 10 in the same time I can do 100 in EC
    so no going back to getting them in CC)
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Thanks but i'll never ever do EC. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Learn cartography in New Haven.  Boring but in the end you will make a small amount of gold.  Well worth the effort.  A 100 skill level you can be four squares away and still dig the chest that results in a huge time advantage in finding the chest.

Learning cartography (EC)
    Step 1 Go to the local mages and buy as many scrolls as you can carry.
    Step 2 Then, go see the mapmaker whose shop is in the building on the dock
    Step 3 Buy a map pen and make as many maps as you can can
    Step 4 Sell the maps to the map maker
    Step 5 Buy all the blank maps and a new pen if you need one
    Step 6 Repeat steps 3 and 4
    Step 7 When the map maker runs out of blank maps leave and buy as many scrolls as you can carry
    Step 8 Repeat steps 2 through 7 above. Eventually the mapmaker will generate enough blank maps that you won’t have to leave.  Boring but it works.

When your probability for creating the next level map reaches around 45% start making that level map.  You can also buy the upper level maps and overwrite those if you have a hard time finding scrolls.

It’s boring but if you do a lot of treasure maps well worth it.  Have not done the sea chests yet so can’t comment on those.  

You will also need to learn remove trap if you intend to do higher level treasure maps.

Arnold7 said:
    Learn cartography in New Haven
    What's funny is i've had a gm cart and lockpicker for about 10 years now on a soulstone. I just never learned how to find the spots without one of the 3rd party mappers. 
    What is the best 3rd party map add-on 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    there's a section on how to find the spot in CC in this page: https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/treasure-maps/

Urge set up  a vertical and horizontal hot bar each as long as you can make them.  Line each one up with a landmark that goes though the x on the map and then orient the game’s map to the same orientation and line the hot bars up on that one using the landmarks you identified.  Works in areas that have land marks not so well in the southern jungles though.

I place a bag where I start digging.  If I don’t get a map after digging north, south, east and west.  I move about six spaces in each direction and repeat digging.

Good luck.  Uneven terrain makes digging more difficult.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Archer/thrower with fishing.  If you go archer get a Horselord Bow
    Thanks all. It sounds like fishing might be the less stressful of the 2 so i'll start with that first. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    My current Fisherman is just a bard with fishing and resisting spells running discord mastery enough to kill anything you fish up
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    As an alternative for maps if you have access to a Davie Jone’s locker, you can get the coordinates from that and then use a sextant.  If you use the EC, you can mark the coordinates on the game map.  That will set up a flashing point were the coordinates are.  It’s usually pretty close to where you should dig but occasionally it’s a little off target so it might take awhile. I use that technique for the south’s jungle chests when someone makes a table available.

With treasure chest’s the remove trap part can be a deal breaker.  Without the remove trap skill I would recommend sticking to stash and supply chests unless you can kill what comes out of the other chests really quickly.  You need about 90 remove trap for the higher level chests.  Can be really frustrating in the field.  Remove trap takes awhile to get to 90.
    Mibs are by far easier 
    Arnold7 said:
    With treasure chest’s the remove trap part can be a deal breaker.  Without the remove trap skill I would recommend sticking to stash and supply chests unless you can kill what comes out of the other chests really quickly.  You need about 90 remove trap for the higher level chests.  Can be really frustrating in the field.  Remove trap takes awhile to get to 90.
    From this thread here: https://forum.uo.com/discussion/4163/treasure-hunter-templates in 2019 it states you do not need remove trap only enough magery. Is this still true?

I went ahead and downloaded mapper. I will learn this if it breaks me. 
    edited July 2022
    A mage can open stash, supply and cache chests with the unlock skill.  But before you can actually open the chest, you are now required to remove the trap.  That’s when the chest explodes around six times and additional monsters jump out of it.  This part is more difficult than dealing with the spawn.  Your remove trap skill level reduces the number of explosions.

Remove trap rules require you stay within a certain distance of the chest which means you need to deal with the fire damage and monsters that jump out very quickly if you intend to survive long enough to open the chest.  That’s why I recommended doing lower level chest early on.
    You guys are real pals.