Newer UO player perspective

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    LilyGrace said:
    I'm truly not looking to give you a hard time, McDougle. I think we're on better footing than we used to be. But I do have to be honest with you, your delivery on the boards at times can be very off putting. 

I'm apt to take kinda long breaks from both the game and the boards. After being away for some time, I came back to you having been a poster here for a while. The first post I read of yours was in response to a player (who, as I recall, was not someone who posted often) who'd written a perfectly friendly post that I no longer remember the gist of. What I do clearly remember is how unfriendly you were in response.

You lambasted this occasional poster, telling them they weren't playing the game right. And proceeded to tell them how they should be playing. You made a pretty big effort to laugh at them and make them look foolish. My first impression of you was you were a real a'hole. Honestly, if I'd been someone in charge of policing the boards, I would have given you a time out. 

Not everyone has an easy time putting themselves out there, publicly posting opinions and ideas here. I thought then and now, you have no right to address people in a way that's meant to make them feel a fool. It chaps my ass to think you could be chasing off a poster who, if treated better, might be happy to stick around and share some great ideas.

I think you've toned it down a good bit. And that's great. Not that it amounts to a hill of beans, but I think you share some really interesting ideas when you feel like posting something constructive. But you really should lay off the fan boi crap. Stop ridiculing other players for not being as upset with the game as you are. Or players that aren't upset by the same things that upset you.

Lilly i agree that my bitter sarcasm can come off wrong so I have made an effort to tone it down and say focused on asking for communication acknowledgement and accountability from the developers. None of which makes me disgruntled or whiny annoyingly persistent yes totally but we as players deserve better than we get from this current team 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    But now every almost every post you make has the words “communication” and “accountability” in it and it’s like “yeah we all get it”. 
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,398
    edited July 2022
    It would be nice to hear from them 
    Im thinking we will soon I’m looking forward to it  :)
    dvvid said:
    But now every almost every post you make has the words “communication” and “accountability” in it and it’s like “yeah we all get it”. 
    Yet it falls on deaf ears so i keep asking 
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 777
    McDougle said:

I have made an effort to tone it down ...
    I've totally noticed that. :-}
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,074
    Skett said:
    When NL comes out we will hear from them a lot and if it goes to TC, we will see them. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:
    When NL comes out we will hear from them a lot and if it goes to TC, we will see them. 
    And it's perfectly acceptable to you to hear nothing for another 2 months?
    edited July 2022
    Yup.  Not much happens this time of year normally anyway.  Already saw the Anniversary gifts, so we are set till September for Production shards.

Plenty of stuff to do in UO.  This thread started as there's too much to do in UO for a new player without a guide.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 241
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:
    It's really not.

This is a huge project they are working on supposedly to bring Utima Online to it's 'largest audience ever' or whatever and literally nothing is known about the project. If it really does launch for the Anniversary then the launch date should be public knowledge by now, and information on what you can actually do in new legacy should be trickling out for the past couple months and the next two months so maybe random youtubers, mmo sites, facebook groups can discuss this and build interest in it.

My guess is they are probably going to release this game on steam at the same time so hopefully that will generate some interest. But I feel the development team needs to take the blame if this is a huge flop for the simple fact they failed to communicate about it and allow natural interest over time to build. This game really can use all the positive exposure it can get.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,165
    edited July 2022
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Skett said:
    It's really not.

This is a huge project they are working on supposedly to bring Utima Online to it's 'largest audience ever' or whatever and literally nothing is known about the project. If it really does launch for the Anniversary then the launch date should be public knowledge by now, and information on what you can actually do in new legacy should be trickling out for the past couple months and the next two months so maybe random youtubers, mmo sites, facebook groups can discuss this and build interest in it.

My guess is they are probably going to release this game on steam at the same time so hopefully that will generate some interest. But I feel the development team needs to take the blame if this is a huge flop for the simple fact they failed to communicate about it and allow natural interest over time to build. This game really can use all the positive exposure it can get.
    Well said!

I think the Devs should be releasing at least some details on certain things (a how-to-guide of sorts) like skill building as an example if they are really targeting new players because it is something that has been well documented that there are many nuances on how things work.

If NL is going to be released for the 25th anniversary (or even this year) they should know by now how something like skill building will work. The "wait and figure it out" approach is the same thing they do now which is essentially what this thread is about. If they don't communicate these details / how-to things ahead of it, they are putting brand new players at a huge disadvantage to veteran players who will have an idea at least based on experience on how to gain skills, what each skill does, and what combo of skills to use (how many people started the game like me with a char with a weird combo like mining/fishing/hiding/stealth/archery?). These new players will likely lose interest when they need to spend half the season figuring out what even works and what to do. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2022
    Maybe if we should all try out Diablo for a taste of what seasonal game like for one year. Then try UO NLS...  :D

"largest audience ever", any teasers? So far I have only seem graphics like classic at NLS in the video. 

This is why I wasn't excited... looks a prodo shard with classic graphic that is wiped yearly with a simplified skill or system, just slap in rankings and call it new legacy... legacy is classic?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    Maybe if we should all try out Diablo for a taste of what seasonal game like for one year. Then try UO NLS...  :D

"largest audience ever", any teasers? So far I have only seem graphics like classic at NLS in the video. 

This is why I wasn't excited... looks a prodo shard with classic graphic that is wiped yearly with a simplified skill or system, just slap in rankings and call it new legacy... legacy is classic?
    You would find that new toons call out in chat for someone to rush them. Which means you make a game and they join with a high level toon that you stay close too so you get to level 70 pretty quick. Then you play to advance in the levels that add to the 70.

NL is intended to take the grind out of skill leveling, they intend to change many game mechanics, we will find out what they had time to implement. 
    edited July 2022
    Pawain said:

they intend to change many game mechanics, we will find out what they had time to implement. 
    What's the saying? The road to Hell is paved with good intentions?  >:)

Sure, we'll see what they actually implement in due time (going on what 2+ years now?) but we could say that about anything. Given the severe lack of demonstration or even their thoughts on expected mechanics, I wouldn't be surprised if there are very few changes and they just use each season to tweak a couple things. For the record I'd be totally fine with this thought process if we hadn't been waiting for over 2 years now on something they promised would bring the biggest audience ever.

Edited for a side note I just thought of. The whole "find out what they had time to implement" is funny because I could apply that to the bar I was building in my basement. Great intention with a pretty cool idea and I started off strong when I demo'ed and rewired the stuff down there.... but that's pretty much where it stopped lol. Today there are 2 huge racks of booze (organized) but no bar and no seats. I guess technically I could grab a bottle and sit on the floor and drink haha. I often found myself doing other projects that needed done(or just going out because I didn't feel like working on it on a Friday night)) instead of working on this grandiose idea for a bar because of how much work it actually required. That is unfortunately what I think NL will be. A very big exciting idea that they pushed out but 2-3 years later it's going to just be a few changes with a lot of things the same. 
    edited July 2022
    Pawain said:
    Seth said:

You would find that new toons call out in chat for someone to rush them. Which means you make a game and they join with a high level toon that you stay close too so you get to level 70 pretty quick. Then you play to advance in the levels that add to the 70.

NL is intended to take the grind out of skill leveling, they intend to change many game mechanics, we will find out what they had time to implement. 
    I still feel UO is very outdated because of the graphics. It can't even compete the looks with mobile games which has the biggest market share.

What attracts players to any new game is first the look, feel, sound, visual effects. Its human nature to start by going for the looks first.

Biggest audience or same audience? I think it's dwindling audience. 

All I care is to save my game assets on production shard. So I wish all the Dev well and if NLS is not treating them well then please come back to production shard - the same audience need you!
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    Seth said: I still feel UO is very outdated because of the graphics. It can't even compete the looks with mobile games which has the biggest market share. 

What attracts players to any new game is first the look, feel, sound, visual effects. Its human nature to start by going for the looks first.

“One word, ‘Minecraft’ “
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited July 2022
    Yoshi said:
    Seth said: I still feel UO is very outdated because of the graphics. It can't even compete the looks with mobile games which has the biggest market share. 

“One word, ‘Minecraft’ “
    That is a scam. hype
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,252
    Seth said:
    Yoshi said:

“One word, ‘Minecraft’ “
    That is a scam. hype
    May be a hype but even my 5 year old grand loves it.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited July 2022
    I love UO. I do not believe people would bother spending the energy posting here if they did not have some level of emotional attachment to this game.

I do not play games. I play UO. I like to watch some games, sometimes. UO, however, is the only one that has kept my attention. I really do not have the time to play games. So, my play has been one that is often grinding to make gains, because I did not know better or did not know another way. Most of the time I play in the early morning hours when I first wake up and enjoy coffee and scan through countless business emails and text messages from abroad. It helps that I can come to forums like this to receive advice on how to play better. For many, I find dissatisfaction may be rooted in an "endgame" mindset. UO does not provide that. For example, there is no "Victory" title herald bannered across your screen when a scenario is completed successfully like in "Call of Duty, MW3"

I have played off and on since 2001. From 2012 to 2019 I thought I had quit for good. Yet, here I am again. During those years away, I can actually say that I occasionally dreamed about the game. Not sure what that was about. Dreams are strange.

I find the almost boundless world of Britannia fascinating to explore. I remember one year just walking to almost every place my character's feet would take him. Another year I just spent wandering the seas in my little boat, marking runes to different islands and locales. In both instances I realize others could have completed such adventures in no time at all. My time was limited. In all actuality, I enjoyed that it took me so long, because there was no endgame for me. This was a simple escape from the otherwise stressful real world in which I lived. To think, during those early years, I did not even mention to anyone that I played a game. In the circle of life I found myself at that time, it would not have been acceptable. Yet, this did not keep me from meeting so many new and wonderful people, many of whom I still maintain friendships or a casual acquaintance with to this day. Some of those friendships I made in the early years while attending a UO Townhall with my daughters, the likes of whom include J.P. Grimm Omen and other early contributors to the game. Others, I have never met, but have known in the game or on forums such as Stratics. A few of those people I recognize here on this forum and remember reading their posts over ten years ago and more. 

In the Formosa shard section of this forum I have a post with pictures of people I have met from around the world that played UO or still play. In my current place in life, I have even met people that play UO in my company or surrounding area. I no longer feel any reservation about stating I play UO.  In fact, the game has broadened me in so many ways because of the talent, intelligence and variety of people I have met that play this game. It even led to new ventures and contacts in my real life that I never would have expected, such as bringing together CCP Games and Pearl Abyss a few years ago, and helping out with one of their more popular game trailers. That only happened because one engineer, who worked on my news show in Europe earlier in the last decade, went on to work at CCP Games when I moved to China to take over marketing for a group of companies here. CCP had an office in Shanghai at that time just a few blocks away from our building. There are countless more examples, suffice to say, the people I have met in and out of the game, with connection to this game or gaming in general, have really enriched, no...expanded my life experience.

People. It really boils down to the personal connections that I have made over the years, playing and interacting in and out of the game with others, that make the game so rewarding. Do not get me wrong. I met so many incredible people in my many years in the US Army, and later doing news for a military and government news organization in Europe, including so many heads of state, but the connections that I made in and out of this game have been some of my dearest.

I could never have made so many gains at the pace that I did accomplish them if not for the help of people associated with this game, including some on this forum, whether they realize it or not. In turn, I have reciprocated that help whenever I can, in and out of the game. As I have mentioned before in another post, I can not do a champ spawn by myself, though I will still try. I just do not have that finesse. I piddle and amuse myself doing what little I can, sometimes making those silly cartoons or designing houses. It is an enjoyable distraction for me. Although, in some ways I could confess it is an extension of a creative self deep inside that after years of submission yearns to come out. Ha! Listen to me. Too funny. Now, picture all of that being said as I stress later this morning in a suit in a highrise office building worrying about everything that we must worry about these days.

I guess that is all I have to say. I could go on and on, but its enough.

Thanks to all of you, and UO. For me it is a better world knowing this game is there to run to after a rough week, even if all I do is throw it up on my wall monitor and enjoy the ambience over a gin and tonic.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Ben said:I can not do a champ spawn by myself, though I will still try. I just do not have that finesse.

The easiest ones are baracoon and rikki. A lot of people use a samp for the full spawn but i use an area caster for the spawn and another temp for the champ. Need help, i'll discuss details.

Anyways, sounds like you're living one exciting life!
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    Urge said:
    Ben said:I can not do a champ spawn by myself, though I will still try. I just do not have that finesse.

The easiest ones are baracoon and rikki. A lot of people use a samp for the full spawn but i use an area caster for the spawn and another temp for the champ. Need help, i'll discuss details.

Anyways, sounds like you're living one exciting life!
    Thank you, Urge.
  • inalizinaliz Posts: 12
    Urge said:
    Items obviously had some impact but for most of the game they've not offered alternative ways to get the items. The previous years of content are constantly tossed out when something new arrives. We've got a massive map that's hardly used for anything but housing anymore lol. 

Exactly, the current monetization and progression is not conducive to actually playing the video game. When you ask how to level something. Typically an answer is "log in with an alt and click on it a thousand times". I can't believe nothing has been done to improve the progression. I love exploring and playing the actual game as a new player. But, I gotta say... been leveling archery and exploring. It's taken me roughly 12-16 hours to get it from 50-80 without spending any money or buying gold. Which I think is what most players seem to do? There are so many zones, mobs and dungeons. I never see a single person. Even in the whole zone of ilshenar I have only seen one person in 8 hours of playing there.

All they need to do is rework the monetization and revamp the progression. Give more reward for leveling up properly in the game by actually playing it. The chat is constantly spammed by gold and item seller sites as well. What exactly are the devs doing? Because from my math, it seems like they are just depositing around 10k subscribers money every month, plus the money they make on the shop for people to skip leveling and doing what with it?

meanwhile there is this entire world, lore and people who want to play and enjoy it. Like I said, I feel if they made the progression feasable and had a non pay to win sub only trammel and also a siege perilous server. People would love playing that. First they would have to rework the systems and make it fun, not a grueling clicker for hundreds of hours to level.
    LilyGrace said:

Two things were introduced in UO that were IMO huge mistakes. Power Scrolls and uber gear found as drops.

Both automatically set new or returning players at a distinct disadvantage. Their introduction, despite the intended goal of forcing players to band together, ultimately created divisiveness. They rob from the importance of crafting. And they created an instant and ongoing, outside the game, market for real world money in exchange for virtual goods. I don’t believe any of this is good for the health of UO.

In the ‘What’s Everyone Doing Now’ thread there’s a complaint about recycled pixel crack. Honestly, new, rare, and eventually reincarnated pixel crack is exactly what would have gone a lot further in creating a healthier more interesting and more interactive UO world than the PS and Artifact drops have.

As far as the popularity of rare or once in a blue moon UO artwork goes. Look at how wild players are for EM event items. And those drops are often just recycled items, dyed poster paint colors one usually only sees under a blacklight.

There’s been a habit of introducing new artwork very poorly. Fishing and treasure hunting are for sure nice ways to bring us new artwork. But for the life of me I don’t understand why such a flood of these items was created. What did it take? Like a week or two of casual playing before you had multiples of all the new art?  

Blah blah blah blah (pretend I added a lot more words here about how to better introduce new and desirable artwork). Folks on this board are clever, have great imaginations, and no doubt can think of many ways to introduce desirable rares (that are not uber gear) into the game. But I will say, I wish the systems put in place for dropping artifacts had instead been introduced as ways to find rare and unique artwork instead of player gear.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a path to obtaining legendary gear that will bring you toward building a more uber fighter. Or a craftier crafter. Or a wizzier wizard. But I wish the way to get there was through players needing to build those items.

Again, instead of hunting for legendary gear, wouldn’t it have been a healthier thing for UO to find legendary resources? Blah blah blah…pretend I added a lot more words here about how hunting for rare resources for crafters to use to make the best armor and weapons and spellbooks and potions would be more interactive and create more of a need for player cooperation.

Greetings, Inaliz and welcome back. Interesting thread. :-}

One thing for sure I noticed as well as a new player. The economy and monetization system just completely screws with crafting and harvesting. It's absolutely not worth my time other than for the fun of just harvesting and crafting. Leather is worth nothing. You can sell it to vendors for 1-3 gold each? Other than I think imbueing or arrow crafting for other characters... I don't see much of an actual point to crafting in the game. Once you sell a few 5+ million gold items, can afford about anything instead of crafting. That's a huge portion of the core game that seems just put aside.
    keven2002 said:
    The tough part about UO for new players isn't really due to the "item gap" imo but rather the learning curve to attain it. 

On most shards, people are willing to help new people out with free gear to get you started. I've been known to walk around Haven and drop random legendary armor all over. More recently (when I've actually logged in) I've been taking the greater/major artifacts I find in treasure chests and dropping those. Will a new player have a 1 plat suit in their first week relying on others generosity? No. But the suits they get will absolutely put them in a great spot to train skills and kill stuff to get more "phat lootz". 

The biggest hurdle is that there is 25 years of knowledge and experience to catch up on. 20+ years we didn't have things like JOAT or automatic recall ability (and recall was the only method of travel aside from gate travel) so I'd often just run from place to place depending on where I was going, especially because there weren't a whole lot of rune libraries around then. That built understanding of the geography and where to look for certain things etc. Now a days majority of travel is magic and most shards have at least 1 rune library. That's just one example of learning things over the course of years. Someone new is on a steep learning curve to figure out not only how to build a tamer but also what to tame and where to tame along with how to train the pet etc etc. There are a few sites like UOGuide / Uo-Cah / UO Wiki which help but there are still "other things" that might not even be something people know to look for.

A new player could easily spend a few weeks just brushing up on UO info without even logging into the game which can be a very tall mountain to climb for those people who don't want homework on a video game but would rather just "go". 
    People are definitely helpful, giving out free gear. But, in that, we have a whole huge other issue. New players are here to actually play the game. Getting free stuff is another huge skip. meanwhile lower level/tier gear, harvesting resources and crafting is worthless. Another big reason you just never see a soul doing anything on the map. People don't want to learn how to skip all the content, we want to experience it, be rewarding, fun and rewarding.
    loop said:
    inaliz said:
    [snipped]

Your perspective is valuable. As I see it, there are two types of players who are jumping into UO in the year 2022:
    1. The Nostalgia Tripper. You've played UO before and have had a sudden itch to revisit it.
    2. The MMO Tourist. You've played other MMOs and are interested in something different.
    Each has the challenge of curtailing expectations. For the first, the player needs to come to grips with the fact that the game has changed, in some cases for better and in some cases for worse. For the second, the player has to entertain UO on its own terms. It's an old game unlike any other.

Broadsword has a role in curtailing these expectations and easing the player into the way of things. While I think it's fair to compare the game with others, given the poor quality and predatory nature of the market as a whole I'm apprehensive to find qualities that I think Broadsword should emulate. The "skip-the-grind-for-purchase" mechanics you mentioned are hints of this, but I see them as less relevant to the new player experience as a whole and more as bones thrown to players with multiple characters who don't want to repeat the grind. To put it cynically, they're meant to extract more money from an already entrenched player base, rather than extract money upfront from a newcomer, who would likely be at risk of wasting a mythic token on a poor template anyway.

As a Nostalgia Tripper who loves UO too much to be an MMO Tourist, there are a few things that come to mind that I would like to see:
    • Where repetitive actions are the mechanism by which the player advances in the world, I would like to see UO embrace automation as a legitimate means of playing. You should be able to cast a spell over and over again in an unlimited fashion. You should be able to mine an ore node automatically until it is depleted (New Legacy newsletter shows this is on the horizon). You should be able to do any number of things that third-party clients let you do.
    • Where automation leads to uninteresting gameplay, I would like to see meaningful objectives -- not quests -- guide the players actions. For example, I played a private shard several years ago where monsters would drop skill scrolls for your highest skills. You could, for example, gain blacksmithing by killing monsters.
    • I would like to see a return to viewing UO as a living world with more things to do than combat and collect gear. There should be easier ways and more incentives to group up. You should be able to direct message friends. You should be able to link gear in chat.
    In general, I think less can be gained by comparing UO to other MMOs and more by Broadsword focusing on a core audience who can sustain the game and by maintaining the grounded design philosophy that the same things that motivate this core audience to keep playing are the same things that will attract the two types of players I mentioned above.
    Automation in an mmorpg is a quick way to make it a stale and dead world. We've seen it many times in many mmorpgs.
    inaliz said:
    keven2002 said:
    The tough part about UO for new players isn't really due to the "item gap" imo but rather the learning curve to attain it. 

On most shards, people are willing to help new people out with free gear to get you started. I've been known to walk around Haven and drop random legendary armor all over. More recently (when I've actually logged in) I've been taking the greater/major artifacts I find in treasure chests and dropping those. Will a new player have a 1 plat suit in their first week relying on others generosity? No. But the suits they get will absolutely put them in a great spot to train skills and kill stuff to get more "phat lootz". 

The biggest hurdle is that there is 25 years of knowledge and experience to catch up on. 20+ years we didn't have things like JOAT or automatic recall ability (and recall was the only method of travel aside from gate travel) so I'd often just run from place to place depending on where I was going, especially because there weren't a whole lot of rune libraries around then. That built understanding of the geography and where to look for certain things etc. Now a days majority of travel is magic and most shards have at least 1 rune library. That's just one example of learning things over the course of years. Someone new is on a steep learning curve to figure out not only how to build a tamer but also what to tame and where to tame along with how to train the pet etc etc. There are a few sites like UOGuide / Uo-Cah / UO Wiki which help but there are still "other things" that might not even be something people know to look for.

A new player could easily spend a few weeks just brushing up on UO info without even logging into the game which can be a very tall mountain to climb for those people who don't want homework on a video game but would rather just "go". 
    People are definitely helpful, giving out free gear. But, in that, we have a whole huge other issue. New players are here to actually play the game. Getting free stuff is another huge skip. meanwhile lower level/tier gear, harvesting resources and crafting is worthless. Another big reason you just never see a soul doing anything on the map. People don't want to learn how to skip all the content, we want to experience it, be rewarding, fun and rewarding.
    You are 100% in control of your UO journey. If you don't want the handouts and prefer to experience it all yourself that is entirely up to you. That said, this means that you are going to loot lower end stuff and your journey from starter to selling things that have more value (to make gold) will take longer. Nothing wrong with it. As with many things UO - the choice is yours.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,304
    edited July 2022
    Sorry Keven have to disagree with you on this one.  For an experienced player like yourself maybe.  You know how it’s done.  But for an inexperienced players, most will likely die of boredom before they raise enough gold to buy a 25 point stat scroll to take their available character points to 255.  You can’t do it alone.  That’s not saying you have to rely on handouts.  I did not but I did not turn down other players that wanted to help me out. 

One player I met for the first time in the New Haven mine helped me along for that night and before logging off gave me an ethereal horse (a first year reward).  Pretty sure it made the difference between me staying with the game or just looking elsewhere for another game.  Did not realize how much of a gift that was until was until later on when I looked up on vendor search. Never got to really thank her as she got very sick shortly thereafter and left the game.

Was not until I got a house and a vendor that I actually got enough gold to buy scrolls and other stuff I needed.  Even then it took over a year.  Now, I did start a new player on a different shard and bought enough to make that player viable, no scrolls or ethereal animals of course, for less than 30,000 gold.  But as a beginner would have no clue how to do that.  Anyway agree you don’t have to take gifts but for new players having a few of the right things early on can really encourage them to continue playing.

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Arnold7 said:
    Sorry Keven have to disagree with you on this one.  For an experienced player like yourself maybe.  You know how it’s done.  But for an inexperienced players, most will likely die of boredom before they raise enough gold to buy a 25 point stat scroll to take their available character points to 255.  You can’t do it alone.

We (vets) should make a thread on our ways to make enough gold to fund a first character. 
    @Arnold7 - I was simply replying to inaliz who was saying they wanted "the full experience" of being new. I agree that a few things make the difference but again it's all about your preference of the journey. Do you want to earn everything you get and maybe take more time or do you want a little help to improve your play instantly?

Just because someone new might not be able to get a +25 stat scroll themselves (sure it makes a difference but depending on what you are doing it might not be that big of a deal). They can still do lots of things they might enjoy and use the profits from that to buy other things they might not be able to obtain themselves; like a stat scroll. Perfect example - if a newbie had the patience the sit around and tame cu's (which don't require a 25 stat scroll) they could make a pretty penny selling the white/black colors which spawn daily. There is also an off chance they tame a blaze and then they can buy just about whatever they want. 

I do think new players should be kind of directed to join a guild because that's probably going to improve the overall gameplay when you first start because people can explain things. As a 24 year vet; I've kind of gone away from the group play in favor of solo play because 1) the times I play are typically off hours 2) playing solo increases the challenge which keeps me interested.That said, 24 years later and I still do learn some new things about the game either while logged in (if I'm around other players) or on here.
    Just like in diablo getting rushed seems fun until you realize you are unable to kill anything...haven should be expanded to get new characters to GM the loot there should be slightly better to allow you to make or craft a suit along the lines of the new player suit .while I use mythic tokens for everything now it's important to learn to play your class especially say a Bard learning the dance 
    edited July 2022
    Seth said:
    Yoshi said:

“One word, ‘Minecraft’ “
    That is a scam. hype
    May be a hype but even my 5 year old grand loves it.
    But would he love UO then?

Another view point:
    Say 95% players have left UO.
    Out of the 5% who stayed, lets assume CC vs EC users are 50-50.

But why should they care about what the remaining 5% want? 

Why not think about how to regain 95% of the lost population, from the new generation of gamers out there.