New Legacy Server Capability

GarretGarret Posts: 64
edited June 2022 in General Discussions
Hello everyone, in anticipation and hope before the launch of the New Legacy server, I thought about such a simple thing as server capacity, everyone will want to play, or at least try a new server, but if you look at the activity on events that can greatly slow down or even break the server, what mechanisms or what restrictions will we expect to play New Legacy? won't it turn out that the big excitement of the players will just break the server and everyone will get a negative experience from the new server and developments? Should we wait in a queue to the server, maybe EJ restrictions to join, regional restrictions? @Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna ;

Comments

• GarretGarret Posts: 64
    Do any one have same worrie about one server release for every one, don't we just crash it and become sad ?
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    Time will tell.  :-} 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet. maybe they planned ahead. We'll find out sooner or later.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2022
    “Perhaps one of the restrictions will be, no current active account holders allowed. So brand new customers only.
    it would be wise for new good paying customers to not be contaminated by the current dregs of the subscriber base that remain.

It would be a lose lose situation to allow access to current subscribers, they would push away new customers and not be adding subscriptins"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    Why worry? What happens will happen when it happens. As in the past if some things are broken those things will either get fixed or not fixed. It's wonderful that you care but worrying now about something that may or may not happen in the future isn't going to change anything. You're messing with your zen!   ;)
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Active playerbase is not high enough to be concerned about server stability.  During games peak, there were well over 2x to 3x more concurrent players on servers....  The server populations at the login screen I believe are weighted measurements and not based on actual server capacity.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Just want to make sure I have this right.  Everyone can play on the NL shard regardless of how many characters they have on other shards.  So if I have maxed out the number of characters I have on my home shard, I can have an additional character on the NL shard.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Arnold7 said:
    Just want to make sure I have this right.  Everyone can play on the NL shard regardless of how many characters they have on other shards.  So if I have maxed out the number of characters I have on my home shard, I can have an additional character on the NL shard.
    You can have max characters on every shard if you want
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited July 2022
    Arnold7 said:
    NL is a new shard.  Do you only have chars on your home shard?  You can have up to 7 chars on every prodo shard and one each on SP/Mugen.  Not sure how many chars NL will allow.  Lets hope that they do a server for NL only and not put it on a server with other shards.
    Thanks.  Been playing for almost 4 years now and did not know I could have additional players on other shards.  Always thought it was a maximum of 7 players across all the shards.  Still can’t believe this is true.  Will be setting one up on Atlantic tonight just to see the shard everyone is always talking about.
  • I can about guarantee you that not every active UO player will give NL a whirl. And, who knows, if the main shards are neglected enough, there may well be less players to worry about.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Given the recent issues with the lag / server crashes for the Destard event when there were static spawn points and how every EM event is a total lag fest; I'm not sure if I'm confident in NL running as smooth as production shard on an average day because I think that a good portion of players will give NL a try.

It might not always be laggy or crash but I do think the first week or so the server will be pushed to the limit. That will probably be the deciding factor if I bother with NL as I do want to experience the 1997 connection speed of dial up. That is not nostalgic to me :) 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Destard and NLS is not an apple to apple comparison.

You are worried about the entire Fruit Store (Shard) based on what happened to One apple (Dungeon).
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:

You are worried about the entire Fruit Store (Shard) based on what happened to One apple (Dungeon).
    If they can't successfully manage one event (technically many events if you include Destard and EM events) on a smaller scale (X people per shard spread across 20+ shards) then do you think they would be able to handle a similar "event" (ie NL) on a larger scale (all XYZ people on 1 shard simultaneously)?

Like I said, I could be wrong but I'm not too sure it will be fixed for NL launch given how things are now in production and the amount/level of stress testing that would be required for NL. This isn't meant to be a shot at the Dev team but Misk can barely handle testing things now like ensuring there aren't static spawn points in the 5th event dungeon we had. I don't have confidence that NL (a totally new concept) will be rigorously or adequately tested to prevent massive lag / crashes the first week.

Hope I'm wrong but I won't believe it until I see it based on the track record over the last several years.
    And we've heard nothing for two plus months because they're sweating over keyboards...
    edited July 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

If they can't successfully manage one event (technically many events if you include Destard and EM events) on a smaller scale (X people per shard spread across 20+ shards) then do you think they would be able to handle a similar "event" (ie NL) on a larger scale (all XYZ people on 1 shard simultaneously)?

Like I said, I could be wrong but I'm not too sure it will be fixed for NL launch given how things are now in production and the amount/level of stress testing that would be required for NL. This isn't meant to be a shot at the Dev team but Misk can barely handle testing things now like ensuring there aren't static spawn points in the 5th event dungeon we had. I don't have confidence that NL (a totally new concept) will be rigorously or adequately tested to prevent massive lag / crashes the first week.

Hope I'm wrong but I won't believe it until I see it based on the track record over the last several years.
    In terms of bugs, yes, NLS + Production Server means possibly:

2 X Bugs to fix since it's a different system.
    50% of time split between production and NLS, means ghost shard will be worse.

But the comparison of "size" is still valid. We didn't bring down Atlantic or any shard at it's peak when fully housed. They only break when many players congregate on a few sub server during special events.

• GarretGarret Posts: 64
    Just imagine hundred characters creation in one sub server, annnnnd server down, thats why i ask if there will be some population management, mby server is ok and can handle all the players overall in all subservers, but u need to regulate it somehow otherwise every one will decide most effective/popular spot for restok or hunting and what next, unplayable lags, no ty?
    Garret said:
    Just imagine hundred characters creation in one sub server, annnnnd server down, thats why i ask if there will be some population management, mby server is ok and can handle all the players overall in all subservers, but u need to regulate it somehow otherwise every one will decide most effective/popular spot for restok or hunting and what next, unplayable lags, no ty?
    Yea that's what I'm thinking. As you said, there will be hundreds of toons (presumably) logging into NL the first few days at least to check it out (and who knows maybe stay). While I'm sure there have been more total players across all shards in UO decades ago; I'm not so sure about when is the last time they had hundreds (maybe even thousand or two) all hitting the same server at the same time creating characters etc. all going to the same area. 

The only thing I have to really compare it to today would be like an EM event and even up to today those are unplayable imo due to all the lag; and we are only talking maybe 50-100 toons (not even close to maybe 500-1000 hitting the NL shard).

Like I said, I'm hoping they have it figured out but I think it's certainly worth asking.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    . You're messing with your zen!   ;)
    Mine to!
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
    edited July 2022
    If the hardware and network 15 years ago can handle a full shard with all housing. 15 years x Moore's law plus fibre network should be fine if they don't cut corners.

If the server crash then we know why.
    Yup, created a character on Atlantic in addition to my full character set on my home shard.  Had no idea I could do that. Have to change my opinion on NL somewhat now.  Had wondered were it’s player base would come from but since I now realize all UO players can create a new character on the NL shard not wondering about that anymore.

Note to developers:  don’t know if you expect NL to attract new players.  If you do, you need to realize that existing players creating new characters know how to develop them.  They won’t need much, if any, help.  New players won’t hav a clue.  You can’t depend on the player base to provide this basic information; it’s your responsibility to provide it. Not saying the player base won’t help.  We all know they will but for new players if you can’t provide some basic stuff on how to play the game at the beginning you won’t have them long. If you don’t understand what I am trying to say ask the player base for ideas on what needs to be provided and on how to do it,
    LArnold7 said:
    Yup, created a character on Atlantic in addition to my full character set on my home shard.  Had no idea I could do that. Have to change my opinion on NL somewhat now.  Had wondered were it’s player base would come from but since I now realize all UO players can create a new character on the NL shard not wondering about that anymore.

Note to developers:  don’t know if you expect NL to attract new players.  If you do, you need to realize that existing players creating new characters know how to develop them.  They won’t need much, if any, help.  New players won’t hav a clue.  You can’t depend on the player base to provide this basic information; it’s your responsibility to provide it. Not saying the player base won’t help.  We all know they will but for new players if you can’t provide some basic stuff on how to play the game at the beginning you won’t have them long. If you don’t understand what I am trying to say ask the player base for ideas on what needs to be provided and on how to do it,
    Suddenly I found another issue with NLS concept.

Summary:
    1) Existing player base split their active time in regular and NL shard. 

2) Already BS complained a small team which struggles to support current production shard, resulting in a huge backlog of bugs. How is the SAME team going to manage TWO different system, and TWICE the bugs.

3) Server wipe every year? How many of us replay the same game every year from scratch? Maybe I would do that for a really good game for 3 or 4 years, but unlikely to play the same game for 24 years. 

Anyone still playing the UO Ultima series PC game from the 90s, and restarting from scratch every year?

4) We player UO for 24 years (left and returned) because it’s a persistent gaming world, and there is sense of ownership (of housing, equipment, character and skill assets. 

• ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Seth said:
    LArnold7 said:

Suddenly I found another issue with NLS concept.

Summary:
    1) Existing player base split their active time in regular and NL shard. 

2) Already BS complained a small team which struggles to support current production shard, resulting in a huge backlog of bugs. How is the SAME team going to manage TWO different system, and TWICE the bugs.

3) Server wipe every year? How many of us replay the same game every year from scratch? Maybe I would do that for a really good game for 3 or 4 years, but unlikely to play the same game for 24 years. 

Anyone still playing the UO Ultima series PC game from the 90s, and restarting from scratch every year?

4) We player UO for 24 years (left and returned) because it’s a persistent gaming world, and there is sense of ownership (of housing, equipment, character and skill assets. 

NL could be seen as the Seasons in Diablo.. those too start fresh every so often, no biggie.
    edited July 2022
    Valid point though @Seth about how the same size Dev team will need to provide coverage on essentially 2 different things. Certainly a little concerning given how thin they are stretched currently; only to add another layer of support on top of it. 
    edited July 2022
    yeah but comparing Diablo and UO is still 2 different systems. I don't know what makes seasonal Diablo a success for 26 years. If I recall their graphics 20 years ago was already much better than UO classic.

Is the reason for it's success simply... seasonal event? I don't think so and since the idea does not turn me on I feel what really make it successful for 26 season is more than simply "seasonal". 
    I also wonder about how the small team will manage two games at once.
    Once again an opportunity for the development team to chime in and alleviate worry and speculation...
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Seth said:
    yeah but comparing Diablo and UO is still 2 different systems. I don't know what makes seasonal Diablo a success for 26 years. If I recall their graphics 20 years ago was already much better than UO classic.

Is the reason for it's success simply... seasonal event? I don't think so and since the idea does not turn me on I feel what really make it successful for 26 season is more than simply "seasonal". 
    Don't try to flip it. YOUR argument was that nobody would want to start fresh every year, that no game did that. The Diablo example was just to prove that people DO indeed keep on playing a game even if they have to start fresh every so often. That was my point and it holds. People do keep on playing a game they like after complete resets.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    They are copying a lot of things that Diablo III seasons do.

Can take toon to normal.
    Get banners for achievements.  (they should have a lot of these, most games do this)
    Reset the server  (1 year is too long IMO)
    Creating a legacy, in Diablo III it is a customizable banner.

They should also do an Ironman equivalent. (play a toon till he dies and he is dead and gone)
    Have achievement lists that all can view.

More players are on Diablo III seasons than permanent game.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    So then perhaps NLS would outlast the production shard by another 50 years. So the same team and player base can rollover and just focus on the NLS seasons for 50 years... I will be 100 over years old... yay