What is focus property please?

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited June 2022 in Skills and Stats
"I can't find on wiki what this does, i would buy and place on mannequin for info but it's expensive price"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I'm afraid I know little about it. Assassin's Edge weapons are found in Wrong by those who brave the demonic jailor. If anyone has further information to share please enlighten us so that I may add it to the wiki.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I could be wrong but I believe this property makes it so each hit causes more and more damage. I think it starts pretty low and gets higher and higher. Need confirmation. 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    edited June 2022
    Related to being Assassin Honed?

Since it’s a drop item and can’t be imbued it might just gain the “focus” being displayed when you get a successful hit with it?

https://community.stratics.com/threads/assassins-edge-soul-glaive.394974/

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2022
    “a little odd for it to be a search term on vendor search if that was the case, on VS there are 3 bows with it only, and they're all assassin honed"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2022
    Rage Focus - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Logrus Discussion
    --
    Summary of Logrus discussion:

Rage Focus can be added to a weapon using a crystal from the Bane Invasion. Property can be turned on/off using items context menu.
    Rage Focus is a Damage Modifier and is subject to the 200% Optional Modifier Cap.
    Rage Focus Starts at 60% and finishes at 120%.
    5 swings in Penalty (8% increase per swing) 60%-100% Modifier
    10 swings in Small Bonus (2% increase per swing) 100%-120% Modifier.
    5 swings in Max Bonus at 120% Modifier.

Rage Focus is not much use against mobs with Super Slayer or if you are at the 200% Cap in some other way.
    Rage Focus can be useful against single targets with no Slayer (IE: Cora, or Blackthorn Captains.)
    Rage Focus Stacks with Special Moves.
    --

--
    Summary of Logrus comments:

Q: How does Focus (like the trait given from those crystals from the Bane Invasion) interact/fall in to this discussion on damage and caps.

A: Focused Weapons function like Slayer/Stone form Damage Modifier type. Not Weapon Damage Increase type.

That's correct, if you are already at the Cap (say using a targeted slayer) then you'd only be getting hurt since you wouldn't get any benefit from the hits when you are getting damage bonus. Typically I wouldn't stick it on a slayer weapon unless it was a super slayer, but for non-slayer vulnerable entities, it works pretty well. Though you can always turn it off with the context menu when you don't need it.

Trying to dig up the memory, but it should be 5 swings in penalty each doing 8% more damage, until you hit 0% penalty, then 10 swings each doing 2% damage, and 5 swings at 20% damage.
    the total damage works out
    -40 + -32 + -24 + -16 + -8 + 0 + 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10 + 12 + 14 +16 +18 +20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20
    Total penalty -120%
    Total Bonus = 210%
    Net Bonus = 90%

To get the most bang for the buck, since the bonuses stack with most specials, hitting those specials while in the bonus stages can be very rewarding.

You could still hit them on every swing if you wanted to and you'd see increased damage. In cases like that the overall damage is still positive but in PvM tactical application of bonuses is rarely a concern. Since the weapon rage focus effect takes place in both PvM and PvP, tactical usage of the bonus is a valid strategy in some applications, while there is no penalty to just blindly swinging away. It is tactically rewarding so to speak.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Its a free property on a +5 DCI item or the weapon of your choice, which you can disable when it isn't appropriate to use (through the context menu on the item).

On my PvM char I don't find rage focus that useful. On my PvPing LJ much mroe useful
    On my PvM mage, I dont use casting focus or resonance, or spell focusing. On My PvP Focused mage, I use all 3. PvP Mystic mage, I use casting focus and resonance but not spell focusing.
    --

-Arroth
    "This is most interesting, just bought a load of focusing gems thanks, (TC transfer down as usual)
    learn something new every day!"
    edited June 2022

Arroth_Thaiel said:
    Summary of Logrus comments:

the total damage works out
    -40 + -32 + -24 + -16 + -8 + 0 + 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10 + 12 + 14 +16 +18 +20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20
    Total penalty -120%
    Total Bonus = 210%
    Net Bonus = 90%

--

"The first damage is actually -50%, then goes -40%, so total net bonus is only 40%, on first cycle, but subsequent cycles starts at -40%

This is not great for pvp because the cycle resets when you're disarmed, I can't imagine a scenario yet where i would be able to hit a player more than 5 times before they disarmed me 1 time. (Also resets when switching targets or weapons, even if weapon switched to has focus)

But i will def use on my champ boss killing weapon"
    "hmm, i placed on an imbued weapon, and is losing durability at a much greater rate than normal imbued weap, i thought brittle just meant you cannot PoF,
    did not realise there is increased dura loss"
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited June 2022
    If it is from the Bane gem then I could have answered that.

It does the damage as above.  I have tried a few but it seems that if the fight is too short, you would do better without it.

The cycle repeats when you get to the max also.  So someone would have to be better at math than I to calculate how long a fight needs to last for this to be a benefit.

Does it really benefit a long fight?

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Yoshi said:
    "hmm, i placed on an imbued weapon, and is losing durability at a much greater rate than normal imbued weap, i thought brittle just meant you cannot PoF,
    did not realise there is increased dura loss"
    I think it has more to to with the weapon always doing something so it wears faster.
    Pawain said:

Does it really benefit a long fight?

"i used it against Neira where there is no slayer, but i had to let the other sampire kill the spawn or my cycle would reset.

I personally only carry all the super slayer talismans and not indivdual super slayer weaps so it can be useful for me"
    Ok.  I just used it as a basic weapon on easy stuff and things that took long enough for it to cycle.

I would not have the patience to set up the cycle for a specific target each time.
    edited June 2022
    "This is working really well for me for champ bosses especially when someone else gets honor"

That's the numbers Arroth came up with.  I might stick one on a Bow and try on T Rex.  I tried them on TC but did not use it on the correct things I guess.

Were you able to confirm it does 5 hits at the end with +20%?
    “Yeah it works, like the spell focusing sash you can toggle it on or off”
    edited August 2022
    "uoguide hints that the weapon damage type is altered (i presumed they meant elemental damage) however this is not the case, elemental damage is unchanged on weapon, but it does change the hue of the weapon"