Decorating Bits and Bobs

Been trying to put together a buckboard and a carriage, trying to create what looks like a seat for a driver and a roof on a carriage. Meh...

The Elvin loveseat looks sort of ok for a driver's seat but there's a lot of placing components on lower diagonal tiles and jacking them up to get things aligned properly. Most particularly problematic is the most forward on the screen front "wagon wheel". The only way I've found to make the wheel stand proud of the other components, and not get buried under the seat, is to jack it up from a diagonal lower tile. But in turn this makes it difficult to place items that will cover the bottom of the spinning wheel. And of course, unless you're building out in the open with no floor above, jacked up items will go through the floor. 

Other difficult bits are trying to put lanterns on the front of the carriage. I was excited when I placed the most forward lantern. It lined up just right to look like a carriage lantern. But no good on the background one. :/ And I think the ingots used for a carriage step are a no go. Need to find something else or use nothing at all. I can't suspend my disbelief with the ingots. They just scream ingots to me. 

I've been staring at these too long. I can't tell anymore if they look half decent or look too flat or what. Or if that "carriage roof" looks sort of like a carriage roof or if it just looks like a green table stacked on top of another table. Neither of these are where I'd ultimately place them. They're just jammed in where I was working on them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve? Or other examples of wagons they've built?

Comments

• DryzzidDryzzid Posts: 80
    edited October 2021
    I really like the bottom one. I think it looks great.

I never completed this idea but there was an attempt:

It doesn't look like you're in a custom house, but for mine I clipped a set of wooden stairs to serve as steps up. This was going to be a wagon station, hence the static steps.
    Mayor of North Harbor Township, Atlantic Shard
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    I like the steps leading up. I was trying to figure out what to use as a carriage block. I'll try crafting something out of granite and see if I can hide the bottom of the spinning wheel with it at the same time.
  • about the lanterns - lamps from begging sit differently than regular ones, might want to try that

• Good to know. Still have begging skill on from Trick or Treating. I'll give that a try, thanks!
  • LilyGrace said:
    Good to know. Still have begging skill on from Trick or Treating. I'll give that a try, thanks!
    The begging lanterns are also animated and flicker :)

74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • Gonna need a bigger wagon.
    Yes, Dryzzid! I have discovered that! Sweet!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll no doubt tinker with it more.
    Used one regular lantern and one from begging to get them to land as well as I could.

The Fish Bushel and Crab & Lobster Bushel will be fun addition to this someday.
    Great advice about the begging lantern. Thank you again.
    edited November 2021
    That looks awesome! Great job! Like... really fantastic. May I steal it? hehehehe
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
    edited November 2021
    Always a work in progress. Some elements I like a lot. Others not so much. Too many empty pots for a kitchen. Need more items that look like there's actual food cooking. That little crab in the water would be so cute and show up so much better if it were red. How come we can't cook lobsters and crabs and have them turn red?

The painting turned to look like it's hiding a wall safe came out pretty well. You do have to jack the painting to line it up in a way that has it poking through the ceiling. I turned it into part of a pile of loot to be divvied up by the pirates who frequent the place...

Still a ways to go with the pirate den but a few things turned out pretty well. The defiler's hand reaching for the key ring. The scales statue with the base hidden under the table. But I think my favorite is the little animation of what looks like a fuse burning on top a powder keg (under the wood ship carving). 

The little celebration wizard and the chicken from the farm set, sitting on top the cabinets below, look like cookie jars to me. The sparkling wizard's wand pokes through to the room above. Combine it with a void orb and it animates to look like a mad bomber has paid a visit.
    I need pirate's den ideas!

A few ghouls and goblins remain from Halloween. Who knew they like to bathe?

I love UO's artwork. :-) 

Edited to address Dryzzid -  Heck yes! Steal it...make it better. And share it! 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    edited November 2021
    try an aquarium flake (from fisher npc) in your cauldon
    or replace with a pot of egg nog
    edited November 2021
    I love the open grill and pot setup.. the crab on the water tub fits so well. The wall safe/painting combo is great too. Just like our real homes, our UO homes are always works in progress lol. I had never thought to use the well indoors like you have.. I like that a lot. Can we have a version without the roof? Hehe.

Here is a little bakery that I did... looking back now I feel like I want to give it a little better of a color scheme.. the tables being plain stone is too bland when I look at it now.

As far as pirate den ideas, I'm actually working on one at the moment... this is still very much a work in progress. The house is seaside so I'm going for a cave lair theme. I had originally nestled a tower in rocks on the second floor but now I'm working on another cave as well as another path up to a third floor peak/landing.

I'm still not quite sure if I'm going to keep the walled off room on the first floor yet. I have a water shrine house and an air shrine house so I thought I might tuck a secret earth or fire shrine inside the cave to keep that theme going. A bigger cave minus the room might be nice to help flesh out the pirate lair theme more. Can't quite decide, I'm wishy washy about it. The second floor cave won't be too big as I need to leave room for the path up to the third floor. I considered using a ladder to cheat but want to continue the trail up the hill. I figure the path up the hill will branch left at the boulder and the second cave entrance will be off to the right.
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • "try an aquarium flake (from fisher npc) in your cauldon
    or replace with a pot of egg nog" <--- I will try this, thanks!

Dryzzid, I've always wanted to do a place that looks like it's part of the landscape. That "hole in the wall" spot you're creating is wicked cool. Thanks for sharing it!
  • love the way the carriage looks, loading up and heading for town  :) 

also!! the little guy in front of the door!  ;)
    edited November 2021
    LilyGrace said:
    "try an aquarium flake (from fisher npc) in your cauldon
    or replace with a pot of egg nog" <--- I will try this, thanks!

Dryzzid, I've always wanted to do a place that looks like it's part of the landscape. That "hole in the wall" spot you're creating is wicked cool. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank you! I'll have to post an update when it's done. I was thinking more about your pirate den.. if you do a little area with treasure I've found that the gems from the crimson dragon event work really well to fill out surfaces. They all have different positions within the tile.

74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • I'll have to look into the crimson dragon loot. I'm afraid I'm not even sure what those gems are. Maybe I'll see them on vendor search. Thanks for the tip!
    edited June 2022
    Finally worked on an, inspired by Dryzzid, landscape. 

Don't tread behind Rosina Leckermaul's bakery. Stick to the path. Speaking of Rosina, I was going to name the place Rosina's Baked Goods. Rosina wasn't seen as an acceptable name. I thought that was odd.

Almost everything I wanted to decorate the Gingerbread Hag's house with landed on exactly the same spot on a tile. That was a little frustrating. I think there are probably a hundred different bits and bobs that I didn't try that would go well into trying to make a gingerbread house. I'd love to see what others might come up with.

The little cave isn't finished. Well, is anything ever really finished? But you can get the idea. I like that you can't really tell there's a cave unless you walk into it. The whole thing sort of fools the eye into thinking it's all at ground level.

The walls inside the cave are meant to look like an old ruin of something that was carved out long ago and abandoned.

Fun stuff. :-)

Edit: P.S. If you hide a BBQ smoker to the left of a garden shed, you can make it look like the wind is blowing chimney smoke to the west. Hard to see it because of all the grey stone behind it but it's easy to see the animation in person.  

edited June 2022
    P.S.S. *whispers so's not to upset McDougle. jk, Dougy. A tree building tile set would be so fun. Using the roof pieces are challenging, trying to come up with something that looks halfway natural for a tree shape. But worse still is how it creates a lot of space you can't walk on. 
    edited June 2022
    @Dryzzid where is this boulder from, if you don't mind my asking? I've never seen one before.
    LilyGrace said:
    @ Dryzzid where is this boulder from, if you don't mind my asking? I've never seen one before.

It is a rare set made up of 3 pieces, each called "boulder".
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
    I did a search but can't really find anything on it. I found this site that shows it..
    UORares .::. Rocks

But it doesn't say if they're still attainable. And I don't see anything on how they ever were obtainable. What am I missing?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    I did a search too, mine was slightly more informative and less $ based:

edited June 2022
    Total edit! ok Sorry, sorry, sorry! I finally get it. Sorry, Dryzzid and Mariah. I kept missing the part about it being pieces that are set up together. I'll go drink more coffee.

Thanks for the help, you guys.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I'd buy a deed for a design like this!! 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    I would make and sell you a deed for a design like this. :-)
    Or, if I couldn't turn a design into a deed I'd come visit and go into custom mode on your house if there were a safe way to do it from the house sign.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    LilyGrace said:
    I would make and sell you a deed for a design like this. :-)
    Or, if I couldn't turn a design into a deed I'd come visit and go into custom mode on your house if there were a safe way to do it from the house sign.
    I think that would be wildly popular!
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Sure would be fun.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Very cool !
    Thanks, Skett. :-] 
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    LilyGrace said:
    Been trying to put together a buckboard and a carriage, trying to create what looks like a seat for a driver and a roof on a carriage. Meh...

The Elvin loveseat looks sort of ok for a driver's seat but there's a lot of placing components on lower diagonal tiles and jacking them up to get things aligned properly. Most particularly problematic is the most forward on the screen front "wagon wheel". The only way I've found to make the wheel stand proud of the other components, and not get buried under the seat, is to jack it up from a diagonal lower tile. But in turn this makes it difficult to place items that will cover the bottom of the spinning wheel. And of course, unless you're building out in the open with no floor above, jacked up items will go through the floor. 

Other difficult bits are trying to put lanterns on the front of the carriage. I was excited when I placed the most forward lantern. It lined up just right to look like a carriage lantern. But no good on the background one. :/ And I think the ingots used for a carriage step are a no go. Need to find something else or use nothing at all. I can't suspend my disbelief with the ingots. They just scream ingots to me. 

I've been staring at these too long. I can't tell anymore if they look half decent or look too flat or what. Or if that "carriage roof" looks sort of like a carriage roof or if it just looks like a green table stacked on top of another table. Neither of these are where I'd ultimately place them. They're just jammed in where I was working on them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve? Or other examples of wagons they've built?

God! That looks great. I feel an Uncle Buck toon coming with this one.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    That’s very very awesome love the smoke 
    Thanks Ben and Skett  :)