Housing is completely busted

Over the last 2 years one person has paid for a new account for every single 18x18 idoc plot on Atlantic and raised the price of 18x18s from 20-40m to 400m+, and recently moved on to snatching all max storage plots. There's something incredibly flawed when one person can throw a relatively small amount of IRL money to control one of the core game systems.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    (Wrong subforum)
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Relatively small amount of irl money, relative to what or who? 

If it's all 18x18 on Atlantic, then it's a super huge sum relative to what I can afford.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited June 2022
    LOL and some people are foolish enough to believe that the gold sellers/scripters/cheaters don't hurt them, or affect their play!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • magrodnyc2magrodnyc2 Posts: 23
    Dax said:
    Over the last 2 years one person has paid for a new account for every single 18x18 idoc plot on Atlantic and raised the price of 18x18s from 20-40m to 400m+, and recently moved on to snatching all max storage plots. There's something incredibly flawed when one person can throw a relatively small amount of IRL money to control one of the core game systems.

Amazing that people complain about paying 400-500M for House 18x18  but they dont say anything about paying 1P for a pvp jewel or shield or 1-2-3-4-5p for a rare  or 10P for a Blaze Cu  but a house 400M it is expensive?

besides, if one person is "paying" for those accounts, what is the issue?   there is a well known asian player on Atlantic that owns 150+ houses and he pay for his accounts, are you going to be mad at him as well?
    edited June 2022
    Dax said:

Amazing that people complain about paying 400-500M for House 18x18  but they dont say anything about paying 1P for a pvp jewel or shield or 1-2-3-4-5p for a rare  or 10P for a Blaze Cu  but a house 400M it is expensive?

besides, if one person is "paying" for those accounts, what is the issue?   there is a well known asian player on Atlantic that owns 150+ houses and he pay for his accounts, are you going to be mad at him as well?
    Keep in mind, that player is A) only paying for the houses every 3 months, B ) only has most of them to sell for $$$, C) script placed or BOUGHT most of them for $$$ and D) is well known as a gold/item selling RMT person! Probably not the most upstanding person in the game 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • magrodnyc2magrodnyc2 Posts: 23
    @KHAN you clearly have no clue on what you saying
    Hitomi is a well known player on atlantic and own about 160 houses and NO, he dont sell anything at all. 
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    @ KHAN you clearly have no clue on what you saying
    Hitomi is a well known player on atlantic and own about 160 houses and NO, he dont sell anything at all. 

He wasn't talking about this Hitomi, and you know it... The guy he talks about is well known and sell the plots and houses for $$$.. and you also know it
    @ KHAN you clearly have no clue on what you saying
    Whatever bud! I mean REALLY? Come on. 
  •   You know maybe some of the player base could migrate from Atlantic to other shards? Hearing about the housing situation is why I didn't play on Atlantic despite that being where I played back in the 1990s. 

Let me put it to you this way, everyone I've met on Chesapeake has been either very quiet or very friendly. I was able to get an 18 x 18 house for under 1 million gold that a friend I made gave me to help out. They even helped me find a plot. Over the last few days that I've been back I've gone running around exploring and I will just say if you want it there is tons of space for all kinds of houses. Sure, like you'd expect in a game this old there are castles and manors everywhere, but there is still space. I'm sure it's like this on a lot of other shards as well.... just saying, everyone doesn't need to cram into one shard. 

As far as gear prices I'm not a good judge, but I will say in running around rummaging through vendors (I have trouble with vendor search because I don't know the names of what I'm looking for), I've found a lot of empty/abandoned vendors, but I've also found a lot of them with what seem to be great deals. Every time I make a few thousand gold I find something I think is a ridiculous steal. I believe a platinum is 1 billion gold, and I don't think I've ever seen anything priced that high, though I have seen some items in the 10s of millions. 

Not trying to be a "peanut gallery" just saying, I see no real reason why you have to put up with that kind of a situation on that one shard if it's as bad as all that. 

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    with discord, icq, and ingame chat, its hard not to find someone to play with, even on "dead shards",  that being said, most people love their stuff, and shard history
  • usernameusername Posts: 696
    Dax said:
    Pretty sure it's just inflation. Duping has been rampant in the past few years.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    username said:
    Dax said:
    hmmm? You look familiar, welcome, welcome!

BTW, duping is deflationary, scarcity and demand feed inflation.
    edited June 2022
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Dax said:

What in gods earth are you talking about? How is gold being duped deflationary?

noun: inflation
    the action of inflating something or the condition of being inflated.
    ASTRONOMY
    (in some theories of cosmology) a very brief exponential expansion of the universe postulated to have interrupted the standard linear expansion shortly after the Big Bang.
    ECONOMICS
    a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

You see, when gold becomes duped and there is a huge influx of it, it becomes worthless, that is quite literally, worth less than it has been. Your purchasing power goes down. Nearly everything across the board, vet rewards, artifacts, transfer tokens, housing, rares, have gone up in price (in my opinion extremely fast in the last 2-4 years) because the influx of new gold, thus the purchasing power of your gold has gone down.

What did you not understand?

The current housing market price increase seems to just follow the price increase of general items across the board.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    username said:
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Dax said:

ASTRONOMY
    (in some theories of cosmology) a very brief exponential expansion of the universe postulated to have interrupted the standard linear expansion shortly after the Big Bang.
    ECONOMICS

You see, when gold becomes duped and there is a huge influx of it, it becomes worthless, that is quite literally, worth less than it has been. Your purchasing power goes down. Nearly everything across the board, vet rewards, artifacts, transfer tokens, housing, rares, have gone up in price (in my opinion extremely fast in the last 2-4 years) because the influx of new gold, thus the purchasing power of your gold has gone down.

The current housing market price increase seems to just follow the price increase of general items across the board.

Oh, by duping one understood ITEMS being duped, shich would make prices drop. YOU should be specific.

Nonetheless thank you, I will add your lesson to my Masters in Finance.
    edited June 2022
    Too much money circulating is supposed to be inflationary - including printing (or duping?) money. 
    Source: Investopedia

But in the UO sense, it could mean someone with lots of dupe gold and deep wallet can buy UP to push up the price of houses, etc. They are so rich they can buy up all the hard to get items and monopolise the market.  

Too much supply of products (including duped?) will cause it to get cheaper. This should mean deflationary.
    This is why Shard Bound is an inflationary crap if it is hard to get like all the past ToT event that was a result of low supply. 
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    There is no need to cheat to cause UO inflation. Killing a rat creates 30 gold, a boss will pump 500k gold into the market from the fountain alone. Granted that's not much per incidence but how many are killed in any week?

The more gold in the game the less it is worth and the more it takes to buy anything.

And no I don't have any solutions it's just the way it is.
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Dax said:

ASTRONOMY
    ECONOMICS

Oh, by duping one understood ITEMS being duped, shich would make prices drop. YOU should be specific.

Absolutely no one was talking about items. You could have figured this out extremely easily from context of the conversation. Reading comprehension first grade stuff, ya know?

username said:
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Archangel said:
    username said:
    Dax said:

ASTRONOMY
    ECONOMICS

Absolutely no one was talking about items. You could have figured this out extremely easily from context of the conversation. Reading comprehension first grade stuff, ya know?
    It may mean so for you. I however have never worried about my gold being duped or not. When I worry about duped is when I buy something and fear it might be duped, and maybe later deleted, therein the logic.

So no, duped does not mean "duped gold" for everyone, nor is it everyone's main concern when one thinks about the such.

However, interesting to read from such a notorious character.
  •  All MMOs with an infinite amount of currency that is minted from respawning mobs deal with crazy amounts of inflation. The longer an MMORPG goes on, the higher the prices get, and it's inevitable that new players get priced out of the economy. The situation here doesn't shock me given the amount of time UO has been operating. Duping and such have little to do with the basic problem as it exists in all games of this type. 

That said I have long felt that GMs need to take action against players who play the in game markets to control and expand costs, set up monopolies of high demand items, and similar things. This happens in almost all MMOs as well, and not once have I seen action taken even when a handful of players have succeeded in ravaging everything. I could give examples and drop names but it's kind of pointless, especially seeing as few people would likely know what I'm talking about anyway. If there really is a problem in UO with land being controlled on some shards by a handful of real people using multiple accounts, then I feel it's the sort of situation where the GMs should feel obligated to step in and deal with the problem.... at the same time however, understand that rumors are just that, in many cases stories about player illuminati type conspiracies are just that. 

• BenBen Posts: 208
    edited July 2022
      You know maybe some of the player base could migrate from Atlantic to other shards? Hearing about the housing situation is why I didn't play on Atlantic despite that being where I played back in the 1990s. 

Let me put it to you this way, everyone I've met on Chesapeake has been either very quiet or very friendly. I was able to get an 18 x 18 house for under 1 million gold that a friend I made gave me to help out. They even helped me find a plot. Over the last few days that I've been back I've gone running around exploring and I will just say if you want it there is tons of space for all kinds of houses. Sure, like you'd expect in a game this old there are castles and manors everywhere, but there is still space. I'm sure it's like this on a lot of other shards as well.... just saying, everyone doesn't need to cram into one shard. 

As far as gear prices I'm not a good judge, but I will say in running around rummaging through vendors (I have trouble with vendor search because I don't know the names of what I'm looking for), I've found a lot of empty/abandoned vendors, but I've also found a lot of them with what seem to be great deals. Every time I make a few thousand gold I find something I think is a ridiculous steal. I believe a platinum is 1 billion gold, and I don't think I've ever seen anything priced that high, though I have seen some items in the 10s of millions. 

Not trying to be a "peanut gallery" just saying, I see no real reason why you have to put up with that kind of a situation on that one shard if it's as bad as all that. 

Well said. At the beginning Atlantic was a good place to learn the ropes. Now, I play on a shard that is open and full of possibilities daily. I can now say I have lived in every spot on Formosa that I could only admire from afar on Atlantic, and in every kind of house design I longed for from customized to castle. For player interaction and fun, I maintain a fiesty mule of a character on Atlantic to move goods. Move to other shards and leave a mule behind.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 270
    All games deal with currency creation, its well known and expected. Most all games have gold sinks & UO is no different. Uo’s inflation is mostly related to dupes and scripting, again this is well known and expected. The real problem arises due to inaction or inability to stop the above forementioned.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited July 2022

"proof you can get the 18x18 plots by killing the blues,

I will do my bit for society and not purchase the other house, that way he must pay for another account, the profits can go towards a bottle of bubbly at the broadsword christmas party"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:

"proof you can get the 18x18 plots by killing the blues,

I will do my bit for society and not purchase the other house, that way he must pay for another account, the profits can go towards a bottle of bubbly at the broadsword christmas party"

Haaa-haaa! You got me rolling this morning. I almost spat out my coffee on this one.
  • I think its funny everyone wants to cry about housing on Atlantic, but everyone has these shard shields so they can go to other shards EM events then bring them back to Atlantic to sell for Higher prices. EM event items should be shard bound. Same with pinks and power scrolls!!  we need to stop all this off shard farming & importing it all to Atlantic. Then maybe House prices will drop. See all these houses with 30- 50 Auction Safes with EM Event items ranging from 400 mil to 2-3 plat. OH lets not cry about that lets cry about housing. 
  • NonelNonel Posts: 26
    Used to be you couldn't place so much as a small marble on any shard and homeowners would only let their most trusted friends access their place. You just had your 125 item bank box. You had to save your pennies for a long time and buy something equivalent to an 8x8 or 10x10 house today.

Now some people can't place a massive 15x15 or larger on one particular shard out of the many. Bummer. Lol
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Yea - It's funny because 20+ years ago if you had a "small wooden house" (ie 8x8) you were happy because it was hard to find housing spots. Now everyone wants a castle or 18x18 so they disregard the 8x8 or 10x10 spaces that are out there and somewhat plentiful (on ATL). 
    Nonel said:
    Used to be you couldn't place so much as a small marble on any shard and homeowners would only let their most trusted friends access their place. You just had your 125 item bank box. You had to save your pennies for a long time and buy something equivalent to an 8x8 or 10x10 house today.

Now some people can't place a massive 15x15 or larger on one particular shard out of the many. Bummer. Lol

I remember that day when I finally found and placed a 8x8 classic house deep inside the old Fel jungle… it was such a joy.
    edited August 2022
    I remember my first house, too. What a joy. It was in Fel, just across the water from Cove, southeast of the swamp. I wanted it to ship mine the mountain ringing the town. Small little place, but I loved it. Reds would run through regularly. I got whacked plenty living there. Sometimes they would cast fireballs and shoot arrows when I would sail by. Fun times.