Destard's Ankh : what is the point of having it if it has tons of spawn, always ?

As it is well known, after a character ressurrects, they only have a robe on and, thus, they are weak to be easily killed by even low spawn.

As it is well known, there is an Ankh in the back of Destard which "might" come handy when one dies... too bad, though, that the area is most always full of spawn which right away kills the newly resurrected character in only a robe....

What is the point of thus having such a resurrecting Ankh if then the Developers did not block the immediate area around it to spawn any Monster ?

@Kyronix ?

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    The ankh predates this dungeon event and consideration for it was left out of the event’s design.

I think you know that.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited May 2022
    Jepeth said:
    The ankh predates this dungeon event and consideration for it was left out of the event’s design.

I think you know that.
    But we have seen, at least to my impression, that the Developers did adjust the spawn of the Event inside of the Dungeon....

Why not then, throughout the spawn modification, preserve the Ankh immediate area leaving it free of sawn so as to keep its functionality of a resurrecting place for players ?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    There is a healer out front...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    I have to admit this has always bugged me since stuff started spawning there eons ago. At some point I learned the best thing I can do is just lead everything over the bridge and NOT kill it. That only works if I'm solo or the party I''m with understands to not kill the spawn that's now on the south side of the bridge.
    edited May 2022
    I have to admit this has always bugged me since stuff started spawning there eons ago. At some point I learned the best thing I can do is just lead everything over the bridge and NOT kill it. That only works if I'm solo or the party I''m with understands to not kill the spawn that's now on the south side of the bridge.
    What is most puzzling to me.... is that it could be a very very easy fix....

The small room where the Ankh is placed, has only one tile entry..... missing a door....

Well, all it would take, is to make that small room a no-spawn place and add a small gate to that one tile entry to it, to block monsters out of that small room where the Ankh is....

This way, a ghost could enter it, resurrect and re-equip in whatever time necessary and then, when ready, get out opening the small gate to face whatever spawn might be outside...

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    You're beating one of your dead horses there are many ways to safely rez ise one of them. It's at this point that you will needlessly debate or repeat yourself then wonder why your threads get lock
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,798
    McDougle said:
    You're beating one of your dead horses there are many ways to safely rez ise one of them. It's at this point that you will needlessly debate or repeat yourself then wonder why your threads get lock

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

McDougle said:
    Of course that there are various ways to get ressed, like for example the turn in NPC outside the Dungeon...

My point, though, was entirely another....

That Ankh, as it is currently, with spawn permitted in its vicibity, is a wasted asset in the game, to my opinion...

Something which, at least to me, makes no sense whatsoever.....

And it would take little effort, IMHO, as I tried to explain in my post above, to make it fuctional...
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I have used the ankh quite a few times. The one in Medusa has a guard ogre usually. It takes very little time to run out of the dungeon.

There should not be a safe spot in a dungeon under invasion.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,798
    Pawain said:
    I have used the ankh quite a few times. The one in Medusa has a guard ogre usually. It takes very little time to run out of the dungeon.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Pawain said:

Most of the time it is filled up with spawn... mostly Water Elementals, but I have seen there also seera feys and even some paragons...

But even a couple of water elementals might be enough for a resurrecting character with only a robe on...

You must have been very lucky to find it void of spawn....
  • SuperfrogSuperfrog Posts: 96
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Most of the time it is filled up with spawn... mostly Water Elementals, but I have seen there also seera feys and even some paragons...

But even a couple of water elementals might be enough for a resurrecting character with only a robe on...

I thought you said luck was broken?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Do you role play being dead by closing your eyes?

If it has spawn, I go the the entry that is 15 seconds away.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Do you role play being dead by closing your eyes?

If it has spawn, I go the the entry that is 15 seconds away.  
    That is not the point.

The point is that the sole and only reason to exist of a resurrecting Ankh is... guess what ?

Resurrect dead characters....

Yet, if that Ankh is most always filled with spawn, and a ghost that resurrects only wears a robe..... no resists.... to my point of view, that resurrecting Ankh ceases to fullfill its entire purpose..... that of resurrecting dead characters....

Sure, one can walk to the entrance to resurrect, but then, why on earth does that Ankh exists down there, if I may ask ?
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Sometimes on my Destard run, I’ll hang out by the ankh and kill things for a while to protect those getting resurrected. Maybe I’ll do this more.  Would be cool if others did this as well. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2022
    It is actually a good defense base with an Ankh and a choke point.

Put 2 bards there with Peace and Provo mastery.
    Cast Energy Field to block the bridge. 
    Line up archers, mages.

Then have a few lure the paragons over to kill. Dead can also be rez inside this temporary safe area.

This is what we did at Hythloth.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited June 2022
    There is one down in the 1st floor of the last area of Covetous in the chapel. I am pretty sure I remember using in in the first few years of the game to resurrect. But I think they turned it off in later years. It no longer works - I just tried it. I do not remember any more at the moment than these 2.

They are tied to the legacy dungeons as they were first created. There has been no thought to them since. They are imo, a relic of the past and have been simply forgotten by developers and most players.
  •  About to head out, but I will say that back when I first played in the 1990s the spawn rate of monsters was lower, and also there were enough players around that they kept the spawn down. I tend to be nervous around Destard as bad in my day it was full of Dragons which I used to kill by throwing spinning blades spells at them and then hiding around a corner. 

Like most things the  real danger of that dungeon was getting a target from the other players, there was also a guild called "Inner Circle"  (Atlantic) if I remember that set up right out outside the entrance and would periodically sweep through Destard and kill everyone who was busy competing for the spawns. 

At any rate, I think the issue might simply be the game being designed for more players than you have on most shards. Perhaps if this initiative to draw in new players at some point happens and succeeds that will change. 

Any way it goes, massive spawns, or gangs of PKs, I haven't felt ready to attack a dungeon yet. Destard was one of the harder ones from what I remember. 

• I've actually very rarely found this location to be safe to rez in, for decades now.