Unusual Attack

MerusMerus Posts: 656
edited May 2022 in General Discussions
So I am usually pretty good at understanding the game mechanics, but something happened while playing today that I am baffled by.  I'm wondering if I came across a rare bug or if there is something about the mechanics that made this possible...

Was fighting in destard today and a normal (not paragon) shadow wyrm hit me for 120 damage with a single melee attack.  Character is an human archer in wraith form with all 70s resist, holding a dragon slayer bow and wearing a fey talisman.  Was not using EoO, but was under the effect of all 4 bard songs.  With bard songs I have 148 hp.  I saw the damage number come up and my life did drop down to under 30 hp, so I didn't just misread the damage number.

Any thoughts?

Edit: both bards are 4x legendary with real skill, so the 120 damage was after the 30% damage reduction, which would indicate an attack of 171.

Comments

• ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    I also noticed something simila yesterday. Shadow wyrms 1hit dropping me from 150 to 30's.. .and the beasts are now almost unhittable!  pfff
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2022
    "blood oath
    it reflects the damage that you deal to it, and you probably deal a lot of damage with dragon slayer + AI
    Pinco's UI has a built in script hack to prevent it"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Yoshi said:
    "blood oath
    it reflects the damage that you deal to it, and you probably deal a lot of damage with dragon slayer + AI
    Pinco's UI has a built in script hack to prevent it"
    I thought about blood oath, its about the only thing that makes sense... but I never remember seeing the damage numbers pop up like that for blood oath.  Maybe I've always just missed it?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2022
    As a mage, Para Shadow Wyrms target me the second I enter the dungeon.  Maybe, they do other types too.  Agree could have been blood oath believe first time a regular Shadow Wyrm cast it on me with my dragon slayer in hand I took 180 damage.  Know better than to cast when I see that now.

Have not noticed any other spells that hit for over 100 but at the door especially you can ger killed quite quickly.  Was dead within 5 seconds of entering last night.  Paras shadow wyrms and dragons seemed souped up last night.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Luckily they are dumber than the skeletal things in Fire that did blood oath.  The shadows do not do it as soon as you hit them.  And they die pretty fast so it is not the most common way I die there.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Getting hit with Blood Oath is definitely a curse. I used Word of Death on Scalis once without noticing he had me under Blood Oath and I got hit with 700 damage points as a result.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Merus said:
    So I am usually pretty good at understanding the game mechanics, but something happened while playing today that I am baffled by.  I'm wondering if I came across a rare bug or if there is something about the mechanics that made this possible...

Was fighting in destard today and a normal (not paragon) shadow wyrm hit me for 120 damage with a single melee attack.  Character is an human archer in wraith form with all 70s resist, holding a dragon slayer bow and wearing a fey talisman.  Was not using EoO, but was under the effect of all 4 bard songs.  With bard songs I have 148 hp.  I saw the damage number come up and my life did drop down to under 30 hp, so I didn't just misread the damage number.

Any thoughts?

Edit: both bards are 4x legendary with real skill, so the 120 damage was after the 30% damage reduction, which would indicate an attack of 171.
    This is what we have been talking about. I thought we just mentioned in other threads about "touching" and dying within 3 to 4 seconds. I was trying to be conservative because 150 to 30 is indeed  possible within 2 secs and if we don't run in another 2 secs it may mean another death.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Seth said:
    Merus said:

Any thoughts?

This is what we have been talking about. I thought we just mentioned in other threads about "touching" and dying within 3 to 4 seconds. I was trying to be conservative because 150 to 30 is indeed  possible within 2 secs and if we don't run in another 2 secs it may mean another death.
    I normally have no issue with regular shadow wyrms, they die easy.  Even the paragon’s aren’t too bad… but a single attack from a normal shadow wyrm for 120 damage while under the 30% damage reduction is something I haven’t see before.  The part that’s throwing me off was seeing the damage number come off my character… I don’t remember seeing that from blood oath before, but it’s really the only thing that makes sense.  It seems unusual that with all the fighting I’ve done in Destard this event (probably around 1500 drops) this is the first time I’ve been hit with blood oath, but it’s possible.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Merus said:
    I normally have no issue with regular shadow wyrms, they die easy.  Even the paragon’s aren’t too bad…
    Yikes... when the solo warrior crosses its path and everyone focuses on this guy or the GD or they will see grey screen... unless they are prepared with healers and bards then they shalt not be afraid.

But yeah the old shadow wrym should only be feared because of the BO.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Merus said:
    Seth said:
    Merus said:

Any thoughts?

I normally have no issue with regular shadow wyrms, they die easy.  Even the paragon’s aren’t too bad… but a single attack from a normal shadow wyrm for 120 damage while under the 30% damage reduction is something I haven’t see before.  The part that’s throwing me off was seeing the damage number come off my character… I don’t remember seeing that from blood oath before, but it’s really the only thing that makes sense.  It seems unusual that with all the fighting I’ve done in Destard this event (probably around 1500 drops) this is the first time I’ve been hit with blood oath, but it’s possible.
    They do not do it as often as the skeletons in fire did.  Luckily.  I have been hit twice that I recall.  First time died. Next time I luckily was able to hop back before hitting it.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Just apple when blood oathed, or disarm self of press tab to stop attack. Or like I said Pinco’s UI will play the game for you and it’s automatic tab to stop attack when blood oathed. 

Apparently this is legal…”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Speaking of unusual:

I was playing then came here.  I can not attack these Water Eles with spells and as you see my Triton is not hitting them either.  Is it pacifist hour or what?

edited May 2022
    I moved here and same thing, I can't attack this drake and my pet does no damage...

I logged off and on,  I cant attack anything.  

temp.bmp 159.5K
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2022
    Have had similar things happening to me,  Did not want to say anything because I thought it was just my account.  Might be the result of lag.  You are ahead of where the game is or something like that. 

Come to think of it when I was at that same bridge the other night think something similar happened when I started to cross the bridge.  I could not kill the water elemental in about the same spot.  Not 100% sure of that but remember some unusual happened there and I decided not to cross.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited May 2022
    Most definitely Blood Oath. If you're hitting at the 300% Damage Cap (which 100% DI+Lesser Slayer will do), then a Blood Oath reflected AI without Resist skill will just about 1 shot you. Shadow Wyrms are the first tough Paragon out of these "Treasures of " Events that'll Blood Oath you. Skeletal Mages/Bone Mages in Treasures of Deceit/Fire would do it to, but they went down in a single Double Strike (even the Paragons did), and killing blows aren't reflected by Blood Oath.

Resist skill will reduce the damage that's reflected onto you by a Blood Oath (My "Juggernaught" Macers have 80-100 Resist). I have Enchanted Apples macroed too because of it.

Shadow Wyrm Paragons can still chunk you for a good amount of Health if they catch you with a Firebreath+melee hit, which is about 100-110 damage even when riding an Exceptional Armored Swampy (so 20% PvM Damage Reduction). Why as soon as i hear them start to roar (preparing their Breath attack), i get Close Wounds ready, or if i'm under Strangle (which will likely interrupt my Close Wounds attempt) i'll drop my shield in preparation to chug a Greater Heal pot. At least Shadow Wyrms can't inflict DP with their claws anymore (they used to do this prior to AoS).