Looking how to play UO on the go.....

Hello all, I drive a truck and I'm gone Wednesday 2pm until Monday around 6pm. I really only get to play UO 1 day a week sometimes Monday night if not too much to do.

My question is I do have some downtime on Sunday and a few hours at some shippers through the week I could log in for a bit. What are my options? I was thinking I could get hotspot on phone (I have verizon) and a gaming laptop or really anything can probably run this pc wise but unsure how much data I would burn up. Can also get a stand alone hotspot which both would be 4g most of the time 5g possible some places. Will this game run on a tablet of any kind? Can get unlimited 4g then? Idk at a loss.

Basically what can run this game and is a 4g hotspot enough? No pvp or anything hell I'd be happy to run around mining. I would have maybe 15 hours total while gone to play. 

Thanks all.

Comments

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    edited May 2022
    as long as you update(your main data hog)
     on wifi, and not over hotspot, you could do alot. even em events if you got 5g hotspot. good news is even a lowend laptop can run this game, so you have some very cheap options

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    edited May 2022
    I agree with Norry. Only thing I would add would be to not play it on a tablet. Because of all the keyboard use, having a keyboard and mouse will make the game much easier to play. Playing 15 hours a week? We'll place bets now on whether or not you don't double that! *winks* Good luck to you!
  • ScruffyScruffy Posts: 6
    Thanks all. Ha yeah I used to play 40 hours minimum when I worked a normal hour job but it is what it is now. I will try up my plan and grab something to play on and see how it goes. 
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited May 2022
    I regularly play on the go with a laptop & cell phone hot spot.
    The only time we have had problems with non combat play was on cruse ship wifi. (streaming block I think) 
    Other issues are small screen and unexpected updates. Remember to turn off windows auto update before leaving home.
    I would suggest if possible bring along a keyboard, mouse and HDMI cable (you never know when a tv is available). 
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Even a 3g hotspot is enough so long as not much else is going on on your computer. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited May 2022
    Cant park somewhere and leech wifi? you would think a truckstop has wifi now days, Trucks have a lot of comforts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2022
    I agree with Norry. Only thing I would add would be to not play it on a tablet. Because of all the keyboard use, having a keyboard and mouse will make the game much easier to play. Playing 15 hours a week? We'll place bets now on whether or not you don't double that! *winks* Good luck to you!
    I play on a tablet quite a lot.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2022
    “When certain bots stop broadcasting certain logs in discord. (From bot dying etc)
    we can contact the admin who I think can normally control things with team viewer on his phone from wherever he is which connects to a pc that is left on”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Pawain said:
    Cant park somewhere and leech wifi? you would think a truckstop has wifi now days, Trucks have a lot of comforts.
    I team drive with my brother so pretty much going all the time except shippers and awhile on Sunday. Truck stop wifi generally sucks though. I'm gonna add some hotspot to my plan and see how it goes hopefully next week. It would be nice if they still had unlimited hotspot somewhere. 

Thanks again for everyone's replies. 
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    I play on a tablet quite a lot.

That would make a huge difference.
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    Just a heads up, uo itself doesn't require much data to play but windows can barely go an hour without trying to download an update.  Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much.  Even though I have my phone hot spot listed as metered windows will still occasionally burn through my data.  Keep an eye on it.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Heres a tip for that. Windows drops their updates on tuesdays. So you can uodate on tuesdays via wifi instead of hotspot. Older versions of windows coukd be set to not autoupdate if you werent on admin as well
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Second Tuesday of the month”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    edited May 2022
    It's more than just core windows updates you have to worry about.  There are daily downloads for Microsoft content and updates for Internet explorer, to name a few.  I have actually disabled Microsoft content but it loves to turn it back on.  As such when I play uo on my metered connection I keep my task manager open to see what windows is trying to do.
    RV campers use satellite.  Those half sphere things they put on the roof or in the grass.  Are they inexpensive now?
    With all the info trucks can send back to the company you would think they would have some connection for WiFi.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Pawain said:
    RV campers use satellite.  Those half sphere things they put on the roof or in the grass.  Are they inexpensive now?
    With all the info trucks can send back to the company you would think they would have some connection for WiFi.

Your post made sense. I looked and all major carriers have 5G internet plans for RVs now. 
    Urge said:
    Pawain said:

Your post made sense. I looked and all major carriers have 5G internet plans for RVs now. 
    They have to put the grandparents inside during the heat of the day so they don't get heat stroke.

They in there watching TV.  So I assume they can also get internet if you pay for it.
    It's a 5G receiver marketed for RVs so i assume would also work in a truck with an inverter. 
    I talked to someone at Verizon over the phone this morning and was told this. If I get a LTE laptop that is compatible with them I can add a line to it giving me unlimited plan same as phone. Which is essentially unlimited 5g and 4g unless it gets congested then they can slow you down which I have never experienced with phone. Hoping this is true and maybe not a confused employee. 

So I guess a follow up question would be does anyone have a recommendation for a LTE windows os laptop that would be good for this? It would literally be for UO only. Thanks again everyone for the recommendations and advice.
    From a super quick search, it looks like windows 10 has the advance options to use 5G as the network. Setting one up on Verizon is well above my paygrade. 

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-introduces-lenovo-flex-5g ; Verizons own 5G laptop. You could probably see one in person at one of the many Verizon franchise stores. 
    edited May 2022
    Link for that Lenovo above.  https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-introduces-lenovo-flex-5g

If it works as advertised its sweet.

Video review on it with games tested. UO should have zero trouble if you can get signal. 
    Awesome ty so much. I will see if I can grab the flex 5g when I get home tomorrow night. 
    Urge said:

Video review on it with games tested. UO should have zero trouble if you can get signal. 
    They don't don't really make a windows computer computer that won't run uo at this point. I played UO on the go with this thing (still would if I didn't have a great laptop).  only difference in mine and this is I upgraded to Win 10. put the Blue tooth mouse/keyboard on it and you're good.

• vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Urge said:

They don't don't really make a windows computer computer that won't run uo at this point. I played UO on the go with this thing (still would if I didn't have a great laptop).  only difference in mine and this is I upgraded to Win 10. put the Blue tooth mouse/keyboard on it and you're good.

You playing EC or CC on it?
    edited May 2022
    vortex said:
    Urge said:

You playing EC or CC on it?

it'll do either. but CC runs smoother obviously.