Why does this forums allow a few trolls to get posts closed.

usernameusername Posts: 687
edited May 2022 in General Discussions
2 for 2 of my posts have been closed in the last week due to the SAME posters trolling and getting away with it. Why do we allow this behavior? You are allowing the same few players to control and dictate the conversation/discussions.

MODERATE the posters. DO NOT close the threads.

I want my two posts UNLOCKED and properly maintained with trolls removed. Thank you moderators.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10619/stop-allowing-ejs-being-able-to-earn-tot-drops
https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10572/the-future-of-these-tot-events-are-account-bound-items-period
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    MODERATE the posters. DO NOT close the threads.

Agreed, then sometimes ended up creating duplicated threads, and missing good points mentioned in closed threads.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    It's strange.

BTW, a "middle ground" to EJ's getting drops vs. no drops would be :  EJ only get drops the first 2 days of the event.  That's enough of a taste for the drops.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Another idea would be a message that said, if you were using a paid account, you would have just earned a drop.  Nice teaser.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    Pawain said:
    Another idea would be a message that said, if you were using a paid account, you would have just earned a drop.  Nice teaser.
    Now that would be funny. I like it.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    That idea sounds good to me ^^
  • RadstRadst Posts: 90
    Indeed this forum has some 10 posters who would REPEATEDLY say the same things in the same thread. Annoying!

Recommendation: Every poster can be allowed THREE posts in one thread.

If they cannot finish their thoughts in 3 posts thats really their problem, but those trolls need to get a life or find new friends to talk to, instead of posting the same junk here and on stratics.
    Pawain said:
    Yup, another good suggestion.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    username said:
    2 for 2 of my posts have been closed in the last week due to the SAME posters trolling and getting away with it. Why do we allow this behavior? You are allowing the same few players to control and dictate the conversation/discussions.

I want my two posts UNLOCKED and properly maintained with trolls removed. Thank you moderators.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10619/stop-allowing-ejs-being-able-to-earn-tot-drops
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10572/the-future-of-these-tot-events-are-account-bound-items-period
    LOL... tell ME and how many of my threads eventually get locked by posters posting in them, rather then refraining from posting, if they not like nor agree with my arguments of discussion...

I'd rather prefer the Moderators to purge threads of posts that are not helping out that discussion, rather then locking up threads, alhougether....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Define a troll? Is it just someone who disagrees with you?
    edited May 2022
    Mariah said:
    To my opinion, that, combined with a way of posting which "heats up" the discussion so as, then, to eventually get that Thread locked up because of the discussion heating up too much, but not because of the original Poster, but of other posters joining the discussion not much to contribute to it but, apparently, to then get the thread locked up.... and sometimes, the intent of locking up a Thread is not even hidden.... some posters actually ask, repeatedly, Moderators to lock up a Thread...

To my opinion, rather then locking up Threads, Moderation should purge Threads of those posts causing up trouble and heating up the discussion...
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    Mariah said:
    “Normally someone who disagrees with a certain moderator”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited May 2022
    popps said:
    username said:

LOL... tell ME and how many of my threads eventually get locked by posters posting in them, rather then refraining from posting, if they not like nor agree with my arguments of discussion...

I'd rather prefer the Moderators to purge threads of posts that are not helping out that discussion, rather then locking up threads, alhougether....
    For your thread only, it's better to stay locked than to delete the posts by others.
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    popps said:
    Mariah said:
    To my opinion, that, combined with a way of posting which "heats up" the discussion so as, then, to eventually get that Thread locked up because of the discussion heating up too much, but not because of the original Poster, but of other posters joining the discussion not much to contribute to it but, apparently, to then get the thread locked up.... and sometimes, the intent of locking up a Thread is not even hidden.... some posters actually ask, repeatedly, Moderators to lock up a Thread...

To my opinion, rather then locking up Threads, Moderation should purge Threads of those posts causing up trouble and heating up the discussion...
    If you listen to advice given to you instead of debating it to death your posts probably wouldn't get locked.. people take so much time helping you which you ignore.. Then the next day it's the new problem of the day. 
     Listen to advice man...
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited May 2022
    username said:

Yep - then you have my thread where 99% of posts was everyone in agreement about the current state of the new event being broken and it was closed because it was "toxic" because of one person. There was literally like 2-3 posts that could have been removed but someone power tripping closed it instead (perhaps they didn't like to see everyone in unity agreeing with such a bad look for the game).

popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Ouch...you walked right into that that one popps. You just admitted that 90% of your posts are troll posts (ie you receive an answer that you don't like so you reply with some sort of long winded debate - aka heating up the discussion). 

Well done Mariah! You just won the internet today! 
    keven2002 said:
    Yep - then you have my thread where 99% of posts was everyone in agreement about the current state of the new event being broken and it was closed because it was "toxic" because of one person. There was literally like 2-3 posts that could have been removed but someone power tripping closed it instead (perhaps they didn't like to see everyone in unity agreeing with such a bad look for the game).

k, let's look at that one thread. There were more than enough posts on it for the Devs to know there was something going on on Atlantic. So where was the thread going from there? More trolls? We can remove them, then remove them again, and then again, but at some point you have to reach the conclusion that the message has been delivered and it's time to stop it.
    Why no reply from devs?  Well I'm not a mind reader, so I don't actually know, but I can offer some ideas.
    1. IF there is a fix in the works, it needs checking and testing before it's actioned, so you don't say anything in case it doesn't work.
    2. IF it does work, you don't say anything until AFTER it's deployed, because in telling the concerned player base, you also tell the people abusing the mechanics of the game, giving them time to come up with a counter to your 'fix' before you have time to fix it.

Sometimes it's not that the devs don't care, (they do care, passionately!) it's because they realisitically can't reply.

I honestly don't know. But I do look as some threads and think 'maybe you'd get further by showing more respect by asking instead of demanding and issuing orders'  But that's just me, I ask politely for what I'd like to see.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    edited May 2022
    Trolling is trying to get someone to respond inappropriately.  It's most often seen here with bad faith arguments.  Arguing without a point, arguing as if you don't understand a clearly communicated concept, and personal attacks.  There is also now a passive aggressive way of insulting people that slide past mods because they technically aren't against the rules.  This is when someone says something in general when it's obviously about the one person they've been arguing with.  But it's just as insulting and it does infuriate some posters to respond inappropriately.  And that's trolling.

In addition to this, you have the nefarious players of this game that derail topics instead of argue in them politely.  They don't care how poor their arguments are because the more posts a topic gets the more likely it's closed.
    edited May 2022
    Mariah said:

I honestly don't know. But I do look as some threads and think 'maybe you'd get further by showing more respect by asking instead of demanding and issuing orders'  But that's just me, I ask politely for what I'd like to see.
    Which is exactly what I did throughout the thread. Asking my questions and then following up asking for a response. At what point did I demand an answer? I literally used please in every single post to Kyronix. My thread really only had one person continuously trolling which is out of my control yet it was locked (and it's not like anyone was arguing with him, he was just calling out the Devs).

Honestly Seth nailed it; the only response that was needed was from the Dev but since he didn't respond other people jumped on to echo what I said about the spawn on ATL with only that single person derailing the thread. Far from "toxic". 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Telling people who can respond to your posts is toxic. Which you have done in your last 2 posts.

If you want to have a personal talk with someone.  Email them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    keven2002 said:
    username said:

popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Ouch...you walked right into that that one popps. You just admitted that 90% of your posts are troll posts (ie you receive an answer that you don't like so you reply with some sort of long winded debate - aka heating up the discussion). 

Well done Mariah! You just won the internet today! 
    Actually, I was referring to "other" posters posting in a way that heats up the discussion.... I always make an effort to stay polite, respectfull of others, and never posting anything aggressive towards a fellow poster.

• MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    Mariah said:
    keven2002 said:

k, let's look at that one thread. There were more than enough posts on it for the Devs to know there was something going on on Atlantic. So where was the thread going from there? More trolls? We can remove them, then remove them again, and then again, but at some point you have to reach the conclusion that the message has been delivered and it's time to stop it.
    Why no reply from devs?  Well I'm not a mind reader, so I don't actually know, but I can offer some ideas.
    1. IF there is a fix in the works, it needs checking and testing before it's actioned, so you don't say anything in case it doesn't work.
    2. IF it does work, you don't say anything until AFTER it's deployed, because in telling the concerned player base, you also tell the people abusing the mechanics of the game, giving them time to come up with a counter to your 'fix' before you have time to fix it.

Sometimes it's not that the devs don't care, (they do care, passionately!) it's because they realisitically can't reply.

Do these forums have an option for individual thread bans? 

In example, on Stratics, if one or two posters are causing a rutkus in an otherwise valuable discussion, the Moderators have the option to prevent those individual posters from replying any further on the thread rather than closing the whole thing down.  

It's not always the best route if a thread is truly gone off the rails and really needs to be closed, but it's somewhat of a middle ground rather than letting the trolls win. In defense of this thread's original poster, I can feel his pain that it's quite a nuisance that someone else asked for his threads to be closed just because a few trollish posts were removed. Especially when it was an otherwise good discussion.  

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    Please don't listen to Merlin's moderation style. 
    Merlin said:
    Mariah said:
    keven2002 said:

Do these forums have an option for individual thread bans? 

In example, on Stratics, if one or two posters are causing a rutkus in an otherwise valuable discussion, the Moderators have the option to prevent those individual posters from replying any further on the thread rather than closing the whole thing down.  

It's not always the best route if a thread is truly gone off the rails and really needs to be closed, but it's somewhat of a middle ground rather than letting the trolls win. In defense of this thread's original poster, I can feel his pain that it's quite a nuisance that someone else asked for his threads to be closed just because a few trollish posts were removed. Especially when it was an otherwise good discussion.  

+1
    No, this forum does not have that option.
    I have read carefully the feedback and thank you for it. I will try to do better.