Delete the PvM flag logout timer

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,033
    edited May 2022
    Yoshi said:
    "It doesn't matter what the facts are.
    My views are conservative and so must be incorrect..."

A conservative opion would be one that does not like change.

The logout timer has been the same since '97. 

Your toon has to aggro against the mongbat. Which the way I have my settings they will if in range of the weapon in hand.  Usually my mages can make it inside bit rarely ranged warriors do.

You can get hit by a spell and not trigger the timer. I also have gargoyles near my home.

@Gewürtztraminer camping works like your house or an inn. 

But I do not think it works for buying from the UO store.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

Leave the log out timer as is.

It's not broken and does not require fixing. 

So what is your argument for leaving the PvM logout timer in the game?

The timer would end up being abused for instant log out while PvM fighting.   Surely you can conjure some ideas for how this could be scripted to advantage, no? 

And as I said before... I'll say it again:

IT'S NOT BROKEN.  DON'T FIX IT.

Larger and larger font is not an argument.
  • keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    Yoshi said:
    "a mongbat etc attacking you will NOT prevent you from logging out, it's only if you hit it back.."
    I can confirm this is true. I'll be flagged by something like a snake / orc at one of my homes and as long as I do not hit them; I'm always able to log out immediately.

Sometimes they will flag my thrower when his glaive is equipped and I end up killing them and then need to wait so I've got into the habit of recalling without the weapon equipped so that I don't hit them and I never have a problem in those situations. 

*sighs*

No, you cannot confirm that, because it is not accurate, though I guess I can't stop you from saying inaccurate things. For years, it's worked as I've described. On rare occasions it will allow one to log out if they log out instantly near a bed in an inn. (I don't even want to imagine the lines of code someone wrote to make the client recognize a bed in an inn, but not any other location.)

How do I know this? Because as it turns out I have a character with no rune to my house, and it kind of amuses me that this character doesn't have such a rune, so I do not fix the issue. There is a spawn point between a nearby town and the house, so I frequently have something flag on me as I run by.

This also by the way is how I know that the timer is longer than 2 minutes. The EC has a feature where it will do the time for you and then log you out once the timer is done. Problem is: It never works. I can never log into the same account on the same shard until more time has passed.

Others have posted for many years asking for the same thing, and the support has been near-universal, with concern only for the possibility of the PvP timer being interfered with. Why it's suddenly controversial now is something I only can speculate about.
    I can confirm because it literally happens every single time I play the game and switch chars.

But feel free to keep thinking that you are the smartest person in the world and if you can't reproduce it then it must not work. You sound like you should work for the Dev team under Misk.

As you can see, I am not the only one who recognizes the reality of the game. You are for some reason denying it. It does not take being the 'smartest person in the world' to acknowledge reality, though your attributing that thought to me is a great trolling tactic, so you've clearly trolled before. Good on you.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 206
    Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

The timer would end up being abused for instant log out while PvM fighting.   Surely you can conjure some ideas for how this could be scripted to advantage, no? 

You've not made a case for why this should be changed in any font size. 

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 486
    Because it's annoying to get hit by something or hit something and then not be able to swap characters.  I'm over the whole threat of "scripters may abuse it." They already are abusing the game.

But like I said earlier... it's still a minor issue.  
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,825
    Feigr said:
    Because it's annoying to get hit by something or hit something and then not be able to swap characters.  I'm over the whole threat of "scripters may abuse it." They already are abusing the game.
    Agreed If we use "Scripters may abuse it" as an excuse, nothing will get done. They abuse everything and anything.

Feigr said:
    But like I said earlier... it's still a minor issue.  
    Agreed, and one that only lasts 2 minutes and only happens if you are the aggressor. 

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 506Moderator
    Some comments have been removed. Keep to topic and be mindful of the terms of service.
  • Merlin said:
    Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

Actually yes, I did -- it serves no good purpose. Against this you say "exploit" and say it in big font. That's not an argument. I actually have a hard time imagining this could be used for significant exploiting. Further if there were an exploit in there someplace wouldn't the solution be to fix the exploit not inconvenience everyone else?
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "nobody is being incovenienced, stop trying to cheat please"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,140
    edited May 2022
    It's clear that some people do not play the same UO that I play (CC on BS sanctioned ATL shard). I'm happy to come to any shard where people think that you cannot log out regardless of someone else flagging you (and you not hitting them) and prove you wrong.

I'm also willing to take bets on it for those that are that confident you are right. Put your money where your mouth is if you are that confident; I know I am.
    edited May 2022
    Merlin said:
    Merlin said:
    Merlin said:

Actually yes, I did -- it serves no good purpose. Against this you say "exploit" and say it in big font. That's not an argument. I actually have a hard time imagining this could be used for significant exploiting. Further if there were an exploit in there someplace wouldn't the solution be to fix the exploit not inconvenience everyone else?

The standard for changing something that has been in the game since day one is going to require an argument with greater reasoning than some blanket statement that "it serves no good purpose".   The onus is on you to make a good argument for change and provide clear examples of how this is negatively affecting you and why the change is crucial for future game play.   Discussing font size is all semantics. 

So I'm going to repeat again:

It's not a broken mechanic. 

It doesn't require fixing. 

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    keven2002 said:
    It's clear that some people do not play the same UO that I play (CC on BS sanctioned ATL shard). I'm happy to come to any shard where people think that you cannot log out regardless of someone else flagging you (and you not hitting them) and prove you wrong.

I'm also willing to take bets on it for those that are that confident you are right. Put your money where your mouth is if you are that confident; I know I am.
    No one says you can't log out of course you can but 
    1. You have to wait 2 minutes to login another character 
    2. And perhaps more importantly you character that you logged out is still there in game open to attack for 2 minutes this is especially horrible in fel....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Rorschach said:
    Some comments have been removed. Keep to topic and be mindful of the terms of service.
    How about all the scripter/cheaters/gold sellers? Why don't THEY have to be mindful of the ToS??? 

ROFL, What a joke!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    edited May 2022
    Why was that dude's comments never deleted when he's obviously yelling at people and escalating the conversation? I thought cleanup was done, but his comments are still there.  Is it not obvious to people that when he ups the font like that he's yelling?  He's tiptoeing the rules.  What comments were cleaned up if not that one?

He's also arguing in bad faith and ignoring the arguments that have tried to meet his criteria for the discussion.

If you want to log out faster and ignore the combat timer, here is your option:

Camping – Ultima Online (uo.com)

edited May 2022
    McDougle said:
    keven2002 said:

2. And perhaps more importantly you character that you logged out is still there in game open to attack for 2 minutes this is especially horrible in fel....

"haha, how you get facts wrong? why you don't just try it instead of typing incorrect things?
    This is the easiest thing to test, log in, have troll attack you, log out, log in new char. Why it's so hard for you to test?
    I would make a video but it's too much effort to blank out account details

In the time it took for you to post this, you could've tested it.

They are 4 years behind on bug fixes and OP wants them to create more bugs because can't wait 2 mins.
    "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:
    keven2002 said:

"haha, how you get facts wrong? why you don't just try it instead of typing incorrect things?
    This is the easiest thing to test, log in, have troll attack you, log out, log in new char. Why it's so hard for you to test?
    I would make a video but it's too much effort to blank out account details

In the time it took for you to post this, you could've tested it.

They are 4 years behind on bug fixes and OP wants them to create more bugs because you can't be bothered to wait 2 mins.
    "
    Who has their settings setup to not auto attack back when attacked?  I couldn't even test this because I auto attacked even after turning the option to "always attack" off in EC.
    edited May 2022
    "i just test on EC default, it worked fine, i don't know what you're talking about.
    Maybe you're carrying a bow or throwing weapon and you hit the creature? "
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Is it possible that this could be a client issue?  I’m positive a monster flagging on a character in CC does not trigger a logout/login timer… the front of my house is wide open and monsters flag me switching characters all the time.

I cannot speak to if EC is the same, but I’ve experienced other odd differences where people assured me something was working only for it to work in EC and not work in CC.
    Merus said:
    Is it possible that this could be a client issue?  I’m positive a monster flagging on a character in CC does not trigger a logout/login timer… the front of my house is wide open and monsters flag me switching characters all the time.

I cannot speak to if EC is the same, but I’ve experienced other odd differences where people assured me something was working only for it to work in EC and not work in CC.
    Yes - that might be the difference because I'm using CC. I had no idea that EC had an auto attack feature in it. Just another perk of using that client I guess. That said, I'm sure it's like "Always run" feature where you can toggle it on or off.
    It's minor I don't even really care too much.  I'm not even playing the game anymore, but I thought I'd try it out at least.  I do auto attack when I'm attacked.  However, like Merus said, if I'm in my house and something just goes hostile at me that does not trigger a timer.

The thing that bothered me is when I'm not far away from a monster and it automatically attacks it.  Then you have the timer.

Also, I don't see the point in the timer for anything even if I'm out hunting monsters and want to swap characters.  SO long as I'm logging out in an inn or a house.

I also don't agree that camping is the solution for obvious reasons that shouldn't even need to be said.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Ok who wants to test on either Origin or pac are you willing to come let me co own you flag to initiate the timer and log out or you sure enough this isn't a issue to uninsure your equipment first? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 93
    Why do these boards allow large text? lol
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,247
    Yoshi said:
    "nobody is being inconvenienced, stop trying to cheat please"
    LMAO Mr. Cheater trying to tell other people not to cheat, what a joke.
    @Rorschach - Let's also close and lock this thread that's also toxic because people are name calling. No need to remove 1 or 2 posts just lock it like you did mine.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,296
    Maybe end this thread.  The thinking underlying this pain in the neck has not changed so it is not going to.  It is there to prevent a player from making a quick character change in the heat of battle that will provide that player with an unfair advantage, or maybe they just imply that because the game can’t handle that kind of change quickly.  Know it’s operating programming is flawed some and it does not always work as intended but if you play UO you learn to accept that.
    edited May 2022
    "actually i am a little intrigued about the motive behind the post
    i am wondering @JohnKnighthawke you're complaining about this, but how are you dealing with being nerve striked without receiving a debuff for the nerve strike? or you get one on EC?

I'm interested to know how you can tell if you're stam blocked or nerve striked in group fights on EC, since you haven't reported about this issue.Given that nerve strike is probably the most commonly used special"
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,033
    edited May 2022
    @ Yoshi If he is like me, he has no clue about what you just said. 

My Guess: He took a toon home, got attacked and hit a mob at the door, had to wait 2 min until the timer ran out to log in a different toon.  He found that annoying enough to come here and ask for the timer to be removed.

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one.  We shall see if he responds with something different.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    This isn't broken but improves the gameplay, IMHO. Maybe they can change the 2mins to kick in only if we killed a monster, not when attacked. Maybe they should have proper QC to ensure no bugs are created in the process.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I confirmed tonight on CC…

I recalled home and a rat about a half screen away targeted me.  I stepped up onto my house a couple tiles in full view of the rat then logged off.  I was able to immediately log in another character on my porch who was immediately targeted by the rat… I then logged that character and was able to immediately log back in on the original character.