The future of these ToT events are ACCOUNT BOUND items. Period

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    EJ accounts should never be allowed to leave haven
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
     :D 
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited May 2022
    Merlin said:

The OPs post is a terrible idea.  These events provide younger players (or any players for that matter) a good option to make some quick millions.  Making all items account bound would eliminate that.     We should not penalize ourselves in this way simply to try to stop scripting. 

Thumbs down on "Account Bound" items or event drops

That is a factually wrong near-sighted take. You must be out of the loop of what's actually happening in game:
    1. These are cheated to oblivion, flooding the market and making them absolutely worthless on the open market. (2m per item currently)
    2. Check other threads or sit in general chat for any time and these 'younger players' are doing extremely poorly at these events, single digits per hour.
    Combine both of those and you will realize that this is THE WORST WAY for 'younger players' to make some quick millions as you have suggested: what few items they get will be elbowed out of the market by the big guys. Check other threads or sit in general chat for any time and these 'younger players' are doing extremely poorly at these events, single digits per hour. This is a live discussion happening in general chat right now:

This player in general chat will make 8m per hour at current rates. They could sit at luna bank, and with zero effort, get more gold begging. 

Guess what happens next? They RMT to the exact people that are botting the event because why waste 3 hours for equivalent of pocket change.

You are factually wrong with bad near-sighted logic and will not even reply to this post because of how embarrassed you must be.
    I have yet to see any compelling argument for why my suggestion is bad. Yes it's not perfect, has some kinks, but this ACCOUNT BOUND solution solves 98% of the issues with live/temporary events like this and benefits the casual player infinitely over the current system while giving cheaters no incentive to cheat. Win/win/win/win/win 

@Kyronix @Mesanna Do the right thing. 

Why are we typing in bold.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    edited May 2022
    CovenantX said:
    Personally, I'd be for account-bound items as an option, i don't farm these events to make gold, i generally farm them for items I'm going to use myself, so account bound would benefit me,  the price of 'account-bound' items would have to be significantly cheaper than any tradable version, otherwise, there's not much a point, xfer-ability isn't enough for most of these items.

I don't think the OP has a bad idea, it's just not going to achieve much of what the OP suggests that it might.

Nothing is going to stop people from scripting or multi-boxing short of enforcing the rules.
    and GMs should be tracking overtime where the items ultimately end up that come from botting players....  you gotta hit em where it hurts (their paid account(s), otherwise what's a few days to re-build a bot army on throw-away accounts?   it's nothing.

Also EJ accounts should NOT be able to receive item drops from any ToT Content, some argue any and all content reward drops should not be dropped to EJ accounts.

I 100% agree and must have the same play style as you: I do these events casually to collect items for my own characters. I do not sell and may even give away extras towards the end so people can purchase rewards they are close to.

Correct, it will not stop people from scripting/botting/etc. the event.

However! 
    • The scripts/bots are doing this for profit.
    • Making items not tradable will remove their profit. 
    • No profit = huge reduction in botting
    It's the same thing you see in other MMO's where all high end gear is account/character bound. Yes, people will bot it to gear up their own characters, that's inevitable. Beyond that, you do not see them botting it 24/7/duration of the event because there's no point.

This accomplishes all the points in my original post.

And yes, I know we hate to compare UO to other games, but EVERY OTHER MMO that I'm aware of relies on these systems of account/character bound items because it DOES cut down on cheating, get people playing the game, engaged with community, and furthermore, increased subscriptions.

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    Those other MMOs aren't sandbox MMOs.  They are also being called amusement park MMOs.  Meaning you barely do anything out in the world and you queue for non-RPG like content.  Dungeons/Raids/PVP.

Rimworld, non-MMO, is more similar to UO than World of Warcraft of Final Fantasy.  You can trade your items and the AI has an economy it shares with the player that scales on player wealth.

There's a reason people probably don't like the comparisons to other MMOs.  It doesn't make sense.  

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I have not seen any prices drop in UO.  Tell them to script Grips.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited May 2022
    Feigr said:
    Those other MMOs aren't sandbox MMOs.  They are also being called amusement park MMOs.  Meaning you barely do anything out in the world and you queue for non-RPG like content.  Dungeons/Raids/PVP.

Rimworld, non-MMO, is more similar to UO than World of Warcraft of Final Fantasy.  You can trade your items and the AI has an economy it shares with the player that scales on player wealth.

There's a reason people probably don't like the comparisons to other MMOs.  It doesn't make sense.  

You can straw man and argue semantics all you want but my points remain, are valid, and I have not heard a logical convincing argument/counterpoint otherwise.

Interestingly enough these 'amusement park MMOs' bolster hundreds of thousands of subscriptions. They may be doing something, perhaps some aspects right?

Strawman means I said you said something and then I argue with what I said you said when you never said it.

Semantics means I'm arguing about your grammar or intended meaning.  I understood your argument. 

Neither of my arguments are semantics or strawman.  You're using buzzwords you read on the internet forums where people argue all day and you don't understand them.

Warcraft and Final Fantasy are indeed more successful, but they are different games.  They are not sandbox games.  You will never make UO into a Warcraft.  
    edited May 2022
    Feigr said:
    Strawman means I said you said something and then I argue with what I said you said when you never said it.

Semantics means I'm arguing about your grammar or intended meaning.  I understood your argument. 

Neither of my arguments are semantics or strawman.  You're using buzzwords you read on the internet forums where people argue all day and you don't understand them.

Now you want to argue definitions? You most definitely strawman'd my poisition and argued semantics. Another strawman. :D Again, no logical arguments to my main points.

Let's keep this thread in focus of how Account Bound items would make these events better for everyone.

edited May 2022
    Diablo 3 has toon bound items, But the set items drop frequently.

UO does not need account bound drops.  But the ability to convert shard bound to to account bound would be useful.

Some of you newer posters do not know that the original dungeons did not have shard bound items.  A few posters complained about people doing events on THEIR shard, which actually helped them because the dungeons are supposed to increase spawn rate as the dungeon population gores up.  But a few complainers got it changed.

That was before 2020. Now all shards population has increased to those levels and you do not hear them complaining because they can't play alone now.

With this new and improved drop rate, how many of you are going to get enough spell books on your shard to sell to someone on your shard?  Other shards will have surplus, but the players on your shard can not access those.

Atlantic will have surplus of all the items.
    If I wanted to play Diablo 3, Warcraft, or Final Fantasy, I'd go download it and play it.
    So would I, but I only want the ability to convert to account bound so I can travel with items I earned by playing UO.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Definitely a no from me.  With 4 account I have a wide variety of specialty characters… I want to be able to fight for my drops with whatever character works best, even if the drop is for a character on a different account.  Shard bound makes it enough of a pain to outfit my characters on shards that aren’t my main.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    But the ability to transform a shard bound item into an account bound item hurts no-one, and it could bennefit some.
    For example, I was out during Wildfire, so I didn't get the luck mask of wildfire. On Origin, it will be impossible for me to ever have one, its such a tiny shard, and there are none to be had. I could buy one on Atl, but for what, I could not bring it to Origin to pun on my luck suit, so I'm screwed. If however There was a way to buy it, and then transform it onto account bound, I would be able to travel with it back to Origin, and I certainly would not mind AT ALL that my other accounts would not be able to use that piece, at least my main chars would be able to use it, which is definitely better than none having it at all.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I think personal items a player uses should not be shard bound for those players that can travel from shard to shard.  Account bound makes sense for personal equipment as opposed to shard bound.  But believe shard bound other items is fine.  Not all of us can travel.  Economy in UO is based on vendors selling players items so don’t see account bound in general being good for the game.  Really all players should be able to travel.  Would not need shard bound then.  Was a mistake to create two classes of players.
    Also posters say other should come back from Atlantic to their home shards that they left because they were empty.

How is anyone going to move to another shard?  All of their good fighting items are shard bound, now they are stuck.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    username said:
    Why are we typing in bold.
    Because it makes them feel more important
    Pawain said:
    Also posters say other should come back from Atlantic to their home shards that they left because they were empty.

How is anyone going to move to another shard?  All of their good fighting items are shard bound, now they are stuck.
    OMG  Quit using logic.  Totally agree that if a player wants to Xfer with Shard Bound items that they revert to Account Bound
  • RadstRadst Posts: 90
    In the past few years, development of UO has been following the footsteps of modern day MOBILE GAMES:

Mobile games are mostly Free2Play and are focused on delivering short term EVENTS with rewards. This strategy works pretty well to keep the players engaged while only little effort is spent on static content building. Thats why nowadays you see these short events are the main content rather than World-Building like the older days.

To avoid F2P and PAY accounts being used as free farms, a lot of restrictions are also put in place to ensure TRADING of most in-game items are IMPOSSIBLE between players.

That's right. Welcome to the new economy.

In-game "economy" is a thing of the past; it was part of the RPG dream that was SOLD to us , but it has always produced more issues than intended. So, game developers no longer are bent on this fallacy of pixel world economy.

By minimizing TRADING, it also kills most CASH trading between players and RMT sites. Imagine the day when GOLD are also account bound. That is a bit too extreme, but the purpose is to prevent those resource from going into the world. When you quit, everything you own also leave the game world. In such closed loop economy, players no longer play the game just for the opportunity to make extra CASH. GOLD SINK? This is better :D

Looks like UO is heading that way.

HINT: next item that should be ACCOUNT/SHARD BOUND is the Transcendence scrolls. Scripters are using PAY accounts to script Traders Quest 24/7, and obviously GMs dont jail/ban them anymore. 5.0 Pinks is the most lucrative aspect of the game right now with much less competition.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited May 2022
    Shard bound and account bound are always OK for those who think for themselves. And they lived in a dreamy world where they believe there is an abundance of shard bound arties from the past 2 years event selling on every player vendor in all 26 shards for locals, migrants and new players at cheap prices. Yes you have the right of opinion to prefer shard and account bound, and I am still right to call this as selfish.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    The problem is @Seth is that UO has already set the Shard Bound standard and all we are asking for is that to let us xfer them and for that ability they become Account Bound.  That still prevents people from farming lower populated shards and taking them to Atl to sell.
    And now the ones in Denial are calling others "Selfish...think for themselves..." LOL Nice failed debate tactics trying to save your gameplay for CASH PROFIT, SETH. Your logic needs to be rooted somewhere and not always thinking "BIG" and EMPTY.
    edited May 2022
    The problem is @ Seth is that UO has already set the Shard Bound standard and all we are asking for is that to let us xfer them and for that ability they become Account Bound.  That still prevents people from farming lower populated shards and taking them to Atl to sell.
    Assuming I am returning to the game 4th time again and trying to find a new shard to start the game again. But these event items are 1) no longer available 2) shard or account bound, so I cannot get them.

So a non-selfish way to help players like this are 1) make them permanently available or 2) non-shard or account bound, so that anyone can still acquire them anywhere.

My point is the shard/acct bound appears to resolve issues with RMT, shard economics but creates another bigger problem. Active players won't have an issue but it is about the invisitble player who is not.
    Seth said:
    The problem is @ Seth is that UO has already set the Shard Bound standard and all we are asking for is that to let us xfer them and for that ability they become Account Bound.  That still prevents people from farming lower populated shards and taking them to Atl to sell.
    Assuming I am returning to the game 4th time again and trying to find a new shard to start the game again. But these event items are 1) no longer available 2) shard or account bound, so I cannot get them.

So a non-selfish way to help players like this are 1) make them permanently available or 2) non-shard or account bound, so that anyone can still acquire them anywhere.

My point is the shard/acct bound appears to resolve issues with RMT, shard economics but creates another bigger problem. Active players won't have an issue but it is about the invisitble player who is not.
    It also resolves the issue of farming lower population shards and then taking everything to Atl to sell.  There will still be plenty of items on Atl to buy and when you take them home they will be Account Bound if the devs allow it.
    edited May 2022
    Radst said:
    And now the ones in Denial are calling others "Selfish...think for themselves..." LOL Nice failed debate tactics trying to save your gameplay for CASH PROFIT, SETH. Your logic needs to be rooted somewhere and not always thinking "BIG" and EMPTY.

Well, it allows players to return to this game in 20 over years and acquire anything in this game.

Mobile game is pay to win, and as you said, you can't acquire what you missed. This is why none of my friends stayed with any mobile game since day 1. They played, get bored and moved on - and can't be bothered to return.

UO are all returning players, and we can still buy from others if we missed something.

Why try to copy another system and compete with 1000000 other games. UO has no marketing, PC based and classic.
    edited May 2022
    Seth said:

It also resolves the issue of farming lower population shards and then taking everything to Atl to sell.  There will still be plenty of items on Atl to buy and when you take them home they will be Account Bound if the devs allow it.
    It seems like this could work and help new players.

The next thing is hope that they can reduce the cost of acquiring.
  • NismoNismo Posts: 1
    edited May 2022
    Heres a perspective from a returning player regarding account/shard bound items...

I returned approximately 2 month ago, I quit in 2000/2001. It was very depressing at first playing on a low populated server and just before the Fey event I was thinking about outright quiting or moving Atlantic shard as these seemed like the only 2 options for me to actually interact with the community.

This event helped greatly establish the gold I needed to buy things I needed to keep me going and stay somewhat competitive. I would have never been able to gain any kind of financial foothold in the game without the event. Being able to buy and sell these event items have gotten me hooked on the game again. The interactions through buying and selling and actively taking part in the event made the game so much more fun.

For 2 months prior to the event I barely got to interact with anyone. I never saw anyone in the wild and the rare person I saw never said hi or replied. I have met so many new people with this event. Both from having everyone in one place working together and from buying and selling event items.

I noticed this with other new players as well. Old established players looking to buy now interact with newer players that actually had something worthy of selling and in demand.

This whole thing has now earned me as a subscriber for some time to come. As a returning/new player I can imagine if I wasnt able to buy/sell and interact with the already established but small community I probably wouldn't be around too long.

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Shard bound needs to be eliminated let alone adding account bound wtf. 

How are deco items negatively impacting the game ? And why are they shard bound ? Absolutely lame. And now you want account bound jezzz….

why is this thread still open ? 

Lol 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “If I want more artifacts, I think I will buy them from other players.
    what is the point of forcing every player to script afk to get artis? For a start it is against the Ts&Cs. 
    i will leave it to the professionals and purchase from them”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Seth you are trying so hard to prove nothing. You even try to defend the "invisible" players. Hello? That's too stretched. Just focus on yourself please and not going after "world peace" as your worldly view. Point is, MOST players WILL be FINE, and it is HURTING YOU somehow WHY?

These seasonable events and rewards are now cycling through. Items WILL be available at least a couple times a year, while some items will reappear every 2 years. LOOKS FINE TO ME. Why are you so furious? Oh is it hurting your shady business maybe not being able to "help" the invisible players...? Sometimes when players post too hard and too much, they show their true intention...

TOO MUCH FAKE NEWS