Treasures of Fey - Earthquake in EC

JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
edited April 2022 in Bugs
Usually, the spell graphics from Earthquake in EC aren't TOO much of an issue.

In recent years, it can get a bit hairy at EM events ... but currently? I find it almost impossible to be in Destard during the Treasures of Fey event because of the amount of EQs being cast and how much my screen is shaking. [[And it's only the first day!]]

As a person who suffers from frequent migraines, it means only being able to handle Destard for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. I can't even imagine if I had epilepsy?

So can we please turn this spell casting effect off in EC?
~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
Tagged:

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I thought they did add this already.
    they did
    option is called particle effects”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    This is not a bug and should be moved 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Yoshi said:
    they did

Went into User Settings and chose "Hide AOE" under the Particle Filter thing? Didn't work. My screen still shakes nonstop.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited April 2022
    That’s the way earthquake works screen shakes and shakes.  I am old and it bothers my eyes and thought processes a fair amount when there is a lot of other movement going on and earthquake is constantly being cast.  It makes my visual experience quite uncomfortable physically and mentally, yet I still cast it too when the time is right because it generates a lot of hit points and I get some credit when what I damaged is killed.  I don’t play the void because the constant shaking disturbs my thought process a lot and I can’t concentrate.  It has not been as much of a problem in Destard when I played last night I did not notice it being cast that much but having almost all of the fighting take place at the entrance really confuses me visually and mentally, can’t tell the good guys from the bad.  It’s just a mass of movement. 
    Can’t concentrate and keep track of all the action like before.  It’s actually overwelllming and physically uncomfortable now. Have to agree it would for me be much easier on my eyes and thought processes if the screen did not shake so much.  We are all getting older.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    Yoshi said:
    they did

Went into User Settings and chose "Hide AOE" under the Particle Filter thing? Didn't work. My screen still shakes nonstop.
    Try setting the Particle Filter to 'None', it should disable screen shaking.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Note I stay mostly on the fringe of the action now so I can keep about half of the screen free from action.  If you have a ranged fighter maybe that might help a little.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 455
    edited April 2022
    Setting it to NONE does work, but it also removes a lot of other spell effects.

Does anyone even like the earth quake screenshake?

• Feigr said:
    Setting it to NONE does work, but it also removes a lot of other spell effects.

Does anyone even like the earth quake screenshake?

^^^ All of this.

I just want my screen to stop shaking - I don't want to turn off ALL spell effects.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited April 2022
    Particle Filter: Player/Target

Is probably closest to ideal, currently.

e.g. you won't see other EQ, but you will see your own.

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Sorry I need to ask… we are not on earth in the game so why is it called an earthquake? 

Anyway the incessant shaking can certainly be difficult on the eyes.  Maybe they could put some kind of delay of the effect where when someone/some people spams earthquakes, the effect doesn’t trigger again for 5-10 seconds or something. 
    More importantly why hasn't this been moved from the bugs section?
    edited April 2022
    There are at least 2 bugs here:
    1. Insufficient/not granular enough client side animation filtering.  Even "Player/target" is not ideal (but is likely the best compromise currently).
    2. Insufficient server side filtering of animations and other actions during EM events and other heavy loaded areas.  Is sending "All Kill" text to all players really needed?
    As eluded to in the below posts, and other past posts, server side analysis and tuning is likely warranted.
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9796/lag-during-boss-fights-during-em-events
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10558/destard-slaughterfest-wow
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "This is at best a feature request (even though feature already exists), does not belong in bug forum.
    Why you need server side filtering of animations when you can already switch them off client side?"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "This is at best a feature request (even though feature already exists), does not belong in bug forum.
    Why you need server side filtering of animations when you can already switch them off client side?"
    Yeah and we have actual bugs for the developers to ignore 
    edited April 2022
    Yoshi said:
    Try [re]read my replies in this thread:
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9796/lag-during-boss-fights-during-em-events

It's likely not free for the server to process side effects and send packets to many players in a small area.  The "All Kill" example is an obvious one.  That could simply be treated like a whisper vs.say command (or treat it how the context menu pet command work), off top of head.

Even if these are feature requests, there is no "customer service - feature requests" area, so this is likely the best place for this.

Lag / unplayability / unusable issues are usually classified as bugs.