Totem of Chromatic Fortune : Why is people talking about using it to get the rarer colored Rabbits ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited April 2022 in General Discussions
When hoovering on the Totem of Chromatic Fortune at the UOStore, the description is quite clear and void of any possible misunderstanding...

It clearly says that it only works on : Snow Leopard, Frost Spider, Nightmare, White Wyrm, Giant Toad, Stygian Drake.

So, why there are players saying that they got rarer colored Rabbits using it ?

Rabbits are NOT included in the tameables indicated by the Totem's description to be spawned with a rarer color, flat out.

Comments

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 455
    "Keep an eye out for colorful rabbits wandering the lands!  Increase your odds of finding a rare colored rabbit with the Totem of Chromatic Fortune!"

https://uo.com/2022/03/23/spring-fever-live-on-all-shards/

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    The description refers to creatures that normally spawn with different colors. Rabbits don't. This is a special case, so not listed in the item's description, but mentioned in the publish notes for the event.
    Please read the publish notes before asking questions that are clearly dealt with in the notes. Thank you.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Ya read the opening dialog when you log in. Or look at the forums every few hours your choice.

UO is a dynamic evolving game.  By now color rabbits are probably free.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2022
    Mariah said:
    The description refers to creatures that normally spawn with different colors. Rabbits don't. This is a special case, so not listed in the item's description, but mentioned in the publish notes for the event.
    Please read the publish notes before asking questions that are clearly dealt with in the notes. Thank you.
    Read the Patch notes?

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Mariah said:
    Read the Patch notes?

:D
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited April 2022
    Mariah said:
    Read the Patch notes?

It would not hurt, though, and neither I would find it "inconceivable", if the Developers would then "update" the UOStore description of the Totem of Chromatic Fortune with whatever addition they were to make to it....

I mean, wouldn't one expect it "more likely" that players, before making a purchase at the UOStore for a Totem of Chromatic Fortune, were to read its description, or perhaps be informed about some Patch notes ?
    Why would they update the notes for a short duration event? The colored rabbits are not a permanent addition. 

The developers expect players to read publish notes - that's why they publish them.
  • popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Read the Patch notes?

It would not hurt, though, and neither I would find it "inconceivable", if the Developers would then "update" the UOStore description of the Totem of Chromatic Fortune with whatever addition they were to make to it....

I mean, wouldn't one expect it "more likely" that players, before making a purchase at the UOStore for a Totem of Chromatic Fortune, were to read its description, or perhaps be informed about some Patch notes ?
    They did update them, they put it in the patch notes for a short term event, as the Great and Wonderful Mariah said. Do you really expect people to spoon feed you everything? 

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Read the Patch notes?

They did update them, they put it in the patch notes for a short term event, as the Great and Wonderful Mariah said. Do you really expect people to spoon feed you everything? 
    I think you know the answer to this is "yes"  B) :D
  • Babies are spoon fed because they are unable to feed themselves - but then they grow, they learn.

Some people who play this game could stand to follow suit.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • *waits for a book length post while hoping @Rorschach doesn't smite him*

edited April 2022
    @Mariah

Do you know what the range is for the Totem of Chromatic Fortune ?

It looks like to me that it only affects what spawns in its close proximity which, in the case of rabbits which spawn scattered over a large area, seems quite ineffective...

I have yet to find a location spawning multiple rabbits in close proximity (a few tiles from one another) and in rapid succession...

For the time being, wasted 1 charge only to get a few 1169 and 1168 rabbits which got killed right away, of course, not even a blue 1195 over the course of 20 minutes that a charge lasts... what a waste of money this is, IMHO....
  • popps said:
    @ Mariah

It looks like to me that it only affects what spawns in its close proximity which, in the case of rabbits which spawn scattered over a large area, seems quite ineffective...

I have yet to find a location spawning multiple rabbits in close proximity (a few tiles from one another) and in rapid succession...

For the time being, wasted 1 charge only to get a few 1169 and 1168 rabbits which got killed right away, of course, not even a blue 1195 over the course of 20 minutes that a charge lasts... what a waste of money this is, IMHO....
    Your Google skills are lacking. . .
    *spoonfeeds the baby*
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10414/any-other-consistent-rabbit-spawning-locations

• popps said:
    @ Mariah

*spoonfeeds the baby*
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/10414/any-other-consistent-rabbit-spawning-locations
    @popps ; this is what i typed into Google to find the link "best PLaCE TO SPAWN RABBITS ULTIMA ONLINE"

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630

*eggs everyone on*

Egging Easter Bunny GIF by SWR3

• *eggs everyone on*

Egging Easter Bunny GIF by SWR3

That's some huevos enormes ya got there Witchy poo

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    Totem of Brobdingnagian Fortune is the only way to win UO.
    popps said:
    @ Mariah

I have no information on this item, no limits have been published by developers.
    *spoonfeeds the baby*
    I saw that thread and, actually, from reading this post https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/73094/#Comment_73094 , I used the 1st charge on the Totem at that Umbra Location but, unfortunately, without knowing what the actual range of tiles for the Totem is, I used it where 2 Rabbits spawn with decent proximity from one another albeit they respawn quite slowly...

Sure, there is "other" locations nearby that Umbra patch of Land as @Arroth_Thaiel indicated but, I suspect that they are out of reach from where the Totem's range was (the 2 rabbits spawn close to one another thatI used) because those other Rabbits kept spawning at Hue 0...

In that Thread you mention, @Petra_Fyde mentions de Lucia which indeed has quite a number of Rabbits and Jack Rabbits spawning... too bad, though, that they spawn quite randomly, hardly in the same, fixed location, and they spawn quite far from one another...

Again, with a Totem of Chromatic Fortune which is "fixed" to a specific tile, not to the tamer, and with a rather limited range of effect, I am afraid that neither De Lucia might be a good location to spend a charge of this totem....

In that Thread also the Homare-Jima Moongate in Tokuno was mentioned, again, though, it is a spawn spread over an area too large for the Totem of Chromatic Fortune to really be effective...

Farms have rabbits spawning in them, but only 1......

Bottom line is, I have yet to be able to find a place where at least 4 or 5 Rabbits/Jack Rabbits spawn all close by, within 5 or 6 tiles from one another and consistently....

The Totem, I think, would be worth using only in such a place...
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    popps said:
    *spoonfeeds the baby*
    I saw that thread and, actually, from reading this post https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/73094/#Comment_73094 , I used the 1st charge on the Totem at that Umbra Location but, unfortunately, without knowing what the actual range of tiles for the Totem is, I used it where 2 Rabbits spawn with decent proximity from one another albeit they respawn quite slowly...

Sure, there is "other" locations nearby that Umbra patch of Land as @ Arroth_Thaiel indicated but, I suspect that they are out of reach from where the Totem's range was (the 2 rabbits spawn close to one another thatI used) because those other Rabbits kept spawning at Hue 0...

In that Thread you mention, @ Petra_Fyde mentions de Lucia which indeed has quite a number of Rabbits and Jack Rabbits spawning... too bad, though, that they spawn quite randomly, hardly in the same, fixed location, and they spawn quite far from one another...

Again, with a Totem of Chromatic Fortune which is "fixed" to a specific tile, not to the tamer, and with a rather limited range of effect, I am afraid that neither De Lucia might be a good location to spend a charge of this totem....

In that Thread also the Homare-Jima Moongate in Tokuno was mentioned, again, though, it is a spawn spread over an area too large for the Totem of Chromatic Fortune to really be effective...

Farms have rabbits spawning in them, but only 1......

Bottom line is, I have yet to be able to find a place where at least 4 or 5 Rabbits/Jack Rabbits spawn all close by, within 5 or 6 tiles from one another and consistently....

So use there or don't buy problem solved lets lock it up
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I think someone’s said it is effective from a few screens radius. Maybe like 3. Idk would be nice for devs to clarify. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    I didn't try for rabbits, but after reading Popps analysis it appears no one has any colors above yellow blue and pink.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    edited April 2022
    I tamed a yellow, purple, blue, pink, and white rabbit the first day outside of Umbra. I tamed a green rabbit at Homare-Jima (on the third or fourth day, if I remember correctly).

At Umbra, a couple of guild mates and I used totems for about an hour. At Homare-Jima I was alone, used no totem, and was only there about an hour.

You can't stand in one spot and hope to get a rare hued rabbit - you have to run around the entire spawn area and kill every rabbit as it spawns. It takes work.

It's also not for everyone. No judgment here if someone doesn't want to commit time and effort to farming rabbits - that's why this game has a player vendor system and the ability to buy/sell/trade between players.

However, there might be a smidge of judgment for half-baked complaints without doing appropriate research to answer one's own questions first ... or complaints about how much work something takes ... or complaints about not getting something for nothing.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
    edited April 2022
    I tamed a yellow, purple, blue, pink, and white rabbit the first day outside of Umbra. I tamed a green rabbit at Homare-Jima (on the third or fourth day, if I remember correctly).

At Umbra, a couple of guild mates and I used totems for about an hour. At Homare-Jima I was alone, used no totem, and was only there about an hour.

You can't stand in one spot and hope to get a rare hued rabbit - you have to run around the entire spawn area and kill every rabbit as it spawns. It takes work.

It's also not for everyone. No judgment here if someone doesn't want to commit time and effort to farming rabbits - that's why this game has a player vendor system and the ability to buy/sell/trade between players.

However, there might be a smidge of judgment for half-baked complaints without doing appropriate research to answer one's own questions first ... or complaints about how much work something takes ... or complaints about not getting something for nothing.

And I did that work....

I have been gathering eggs all over the place, Trammel and Felucca alike, and enough to get all Butterflies (just missing hues 1283, 1729 which so are for display on the Roof at the Hedge Maze but are not reported by UO CAH at https://www.uo-cah.com/pub-112/spring-fever#quests , not sure whether they exist or not....), all Candles, all Hedges and all Parrots plus a countless number of doubles, triples etc...

And while hunting for eggs, I have been checking all Rabbits and Jack Rabbits and killed them if not the rare ones I needed... I have all Rabbits but the 1966 (Dark Red) and 1969 (Green)... yes, I do have the 1150 White one...

I thought to give the Totem of Chromatic Fortune a try, in order to get the 2 missing Rabbits/Jack Rabbits but, to my displeasement, I realized that the Totem only works for a limited range, for too short a time span (20 minutes) and, at least with Rabbits/Jack Rabbits, I could not find a spawn location for them which spawned a good number of them (at least 4 or 5) in close proximity to one another so as to be within Totem's range, and with a steady respawn rate (kill one another spawns rights away...) to justify the use of the Totem which, as we know, costs real money....

I got 2 more charges left on the one Totem which I spent the 300 Sovereigns on, and of course I will use them anyways, I was only hoping to be able to find a spawn location where the Totem would be best used at (most efficiently...) but, apparently, I seem to understand that there is none...

I am NOT going to purchase multiple Totems for real money, just to get a couple of colored Rabbit/Jack Rabbits which, at least to my finding over the extensive time I spent on this content, seem not much likely to spawn on their own, without a Totem....
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Why do we let the sugar trolls feed so long popps question more than answered yet thread is allowed to continue but mention legitimate bugs and we get locked???
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    There is a discussion on stratics about the range of totems and rabbits.  This particular post https://community.stratics.com/threads/the-elusive-bunnies.425453/page-2#post-3109326 shows the ranges around umbra and luna.  I have personally verified the umbra ranges are correct.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 455
    edited April 2022
    For my two cents, I agree that this totem shouldn't be needed to reasonably get one of the rabbits. Other than from people who have them and used totems, I haven't seen one naturally happening.  And I've been playing WAY more than most people during the event.  I've also gathered thousands of eggs.

also that woman in the gif has the most dad bod I've ever seen a woman have.  Not to be that kind of person that comments about bodies. LOL But it was remarkable.
  • popps said:

• Feigr said:
    For my two cents, I agree that this totem shouldn't be needed to reasonably get one of the rabbits. Other than from people who have them and used totems, I haven't seen one naturally happening.  And I've been playing WAY more than most people during the event.

I will repeat myself: I had a GREEN rabbit spawn, naturally and without a totem, after farming rabbits around the area if Homare-Jima moongate for about an hour. Again, no totem necessary.

~ Jennifer-Marie

• popps said:

@popps

This discussion has been closed.