Necromancy command undead follows get deleted

ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
edited March 2022 in Bugs
The followers from the necromancy command undead (mastery) are lost if you lose connection, even if it's a brief network glitch where you are able to re-login a few seconds after the connection drops.

Perhaps the auto-stable code changes are affecting this?  There should be no attempt to stable (and therefore delete) the following undead on [re]connect.

Additionally, if you accidentally recall with following undead, sometimes one or both can be deleted.  If you recall back to the spot where the undead were left behind, you can sometimes retrieve one.

The first issue above may also relate to the issues with paralithodes getting deleted in the underwater encounter if your connection drops.

Connection drops are unfortunately fairly common for some players.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2022
    "This issue has already been reported

(also issue of followers disappearing immediately upon log out/con loss/crash instead of staying logged in until char logs out has also been reported

"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    edited March 2022
    So, here's a list of the cases I've encountered with the command undead followers being deleted:
    1. Using moongate, with followers standing next to me, one or two deleted, say 20% of the time.
    2. Entering a dungeon, one or two deleted, about 20% of the time, even standing next to me on the entry.
    3. Exiting a dungeon, one or two deleted, about 20% of the time, even standing next to me on exit.
    4. Going up or down stairs to the next level of a dungeon.
    5. Lose connection due to local network, internet, or AWS connectivity glitch.
    6. Accidentally using recall instead of gate.
    7. Using a crystal ball (or variants thereof) to jump to a dungeon.
    8. Happened yesterday:  single follower was getting stuck in a building, navigating up steps in all follow mode.  Repeatedly tried re-guiding it.  EC Client eventually froze - no input being accepted.  Client lost connection about 45 seconds later.  re-connected, follower gone, and I logged in teleported to a new location (next to an Inn, like the "help stuck" teleport behavior).
    These command undead followers should behave more like tamed pets as it relates to deletion handling, albeit with no bonding support.  Tamers would be up in arms if freshly tamed pets had the fragile behavior as summarized above.

edited March 2022
    “When changing server

they know, you don’t have to list all the server changes haha”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited March 2022
    "changing server" sounds like an implementation detail.  The above is all from a user perspective.  If it's "changing server", could also add that just wandering around the country side could lead to this, then?

I'll also add:

9. Logging out / logging in, in order to clear up ghost monsters (in EC).
    10. Logging out/ logging in, in order to clear up non-updating healthbars (in EC), which is critical for any pet/follower.

#9 and #10 can sometimes be solved with CTRL-R in EC, but that is short-lived in many cases.  So current behavior means the re-login work-around isn't available.

There's a high level issue relating to #9 and #10, which is if you want to be AFK for a restroom break, etc, you've got to stay logged in.  That seems like a waste of network bandwidth and computing resources on the UO side, eh?

Another case, seen a few times now:

11. Client crashes.  This happens around luna gate on some shards, and at other random times while playing normally.

Others new cases I've run into:
    12. Flying undead get stuck in tiles that aren't accessible on foot, and refuse to un-wedge.  "All come" makes a teleport sound, but teleport appears to be disabled for these.  Sometimes, a GM will helpfully come to move the pet/undead.  (with a normal tamed/bonded pet, you could relog to get the pet to effectively move, not possible with the commanded undead per above).

13. A GM teleports all players in a given area to a jail area, to verify they are present.  Unfortunately, the GM teleport operation also deletes these followers.

14. Server down / maintenance -- followers are gone when you re-login.  (normal daily maintenance is a concept that doesn't compute inside the game world, and the deletion doesn't happen with just "tame" unbonded pets).

Net is the commanded undead should just behave like tamed (unbonded) pets -- just without bonding support.

“Which undead flys? Vampire bat?”
  • Yoshi said:
    “Which undead flys? Vampire bat?”

skeletal dragons and drakes can fly
    "oh i didn't know they could still fly in undead form"
  • While publish 114 greatly reduces the cases where following undead get deleted, I've observed these cases:

1. Two following undead were deleted when exiting the deceit dungeon (on foot) to the artifact trader.  Both were at or near full health and following, follower count was immediately reduced on exit.
    2. When accidentally recalling somewhere with following undead, the undead are usually deleted within a few seconds of the recall.  A 3rd party observer notes the following undead seems to rush in one direction, just before being deleted.
    3. One of two following undead was deleted when gating out of the deceit crypt area.  The follower count was immediately reduced after stepping through the gate.
    4. I do not think the issue with daily server maintenance deleting following undead has been addressed.  
    I wonder if these spurious deletions are related to when my 5 slot fire beetle was deleted (link), or whether the above is undead follower specific.

• This is still very much true today. 

If you lose connection, following undead sometimes get summarily deleted when you're logged back on (within 1 minute).

If you have to logout to address ghost mobs/memory leaks/etc, following undead get deleted on occasion for the same reason.

Simple pet commands don't lead the following undead to be deleted.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,898
    You can also no longer use the treasures of spawn a super secret necro nerf...@Kyronix can we please address this?
  • Grimbeard said:
    You can also no longer use the treasures of spawn a super secret necro nerf...@ Kyronix can we please address this?

That's has a proposed change, link here.

The deletion should be fixed regardless of that.
    edited November 2023
    A third party observer confirms that when following undead get deleted unexpectedly, the following undead get deleted at the time the client reconnects.  

They do not get deleted at the time the connection drops.

So there is some processing at the time of connection that causes the delete.  I know certain buffs/etc are cleared at this point too.

btw, looks like the necromancy spell "animate dead" also doesn't work on ToT event mob corpses.  Very strange given how short lived those animated [un]dead are.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973

btw, looks like the necromancy spell "animate dead" also doesn't work on ToT event mob corpses.  Very strange given how short lived those animated [un]dead are.
    Never has, and does not work on Shrine Battle Mobs either.  So these things are the way the devs decided to design certain events.  I doubt my Necro/Archer would be considered overpowered, but not being able to Animate Dead makes that template pretty weak and unusable for me.  Changed Necro to Chiv.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.