Suggestion: add item ID number as a vendor search criterion

The other day I was searching for some lava tiles on VS... you all know what happens: I enter my search and every item with the word lava in the name comes up. I have to make a couple of extra searches to comb through the result pages to find what I want.

Yesterday, the same situation occurred as I was looking for the old blood tiles. Entering "blood" yields every item with "blood" in it - and that's a lot of items. It took me 8 searches to find the cheapest blood tile from the bottom up.

If I search for the hanging chainmail leggings from the Underworld puzzle I get every piece of chainmail legs listed on VS - which often comes back with a "refine your search" result. This happens a LOT when searching for "of exceptional quality" items as well.

Then there is the biggest offender: rubble. Every day I look for the same pieces of rubble and I have to go through the entire list because rubble prices are so variable that the items could fall anywhere in the price ranges. It takes me 9 searches to go through the full list when all I am looking for are the short grasses. And I'm sure everyone here has felt the frustration of getting half way through the search results after 5 or 6 searches and then vendor search stops working.

I propose that adding item ID number as a criterion could potentially reduce the number of searches being performed, perhaps providing some relief to the VS system. In each of the above scenarios, if I were able to search the ID for lava tiles, blood tiles, and the specific rubble pieces I am looking for, I would avoid many unnecessary searches and save a lot of time.

Yesterday I searched for and bought the first Book of Lore from the Deceit event... I had been searching for about 2 weeks or so... and each time I searched for it, I had to go through the entire list of filled BoL and empty crafted ones. Not a huge amount of searches I'll concede, but still 5-6 searches when, with an item ID search, I could have found the book in one.

Item IDs are easy enough to come by, many (if not all?) are listed on the Stratics Wiki and InsideUO is an easy tool to find them as well.

Mayor of North Harbor Township, Atlantic Shard
74503058 | Dryzzid#5091

Comments

• KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited March 2022
    I have a better suggestion. Just keep the "endless scripter" accounts from being able to use VS. @Bleak @Kyronix @Misk @Mesanna The endless journey accounts scripting VS are a HUGE part of what is screwing it up. Also, exactly how important are EJ accounts??? How many are actually "returning players"? 2? 3? Let's be honest. All they are is support/scripting accounts for paid accounts! EJ was/is a stupid idea that should have NEVER been allowed. COME ON Devs! Ban EJ accounts from vendor search for 2 weeks, and see if that doesn't help!!! Or even better, do away with EJ accounts completely. It WILL make what's left of the game a little better place.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     :) 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    Adding Item ID tags isn't a bad idea but the reason I don't like it is because you cannot find the item ID within the game via normal game play.

I do think they could add a few more options to the search function though to make it better to search like "Crafted vs Not crafted" or maybe even something like "No Properties" (if "Event item" couldn't be flagged).
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Item IDs are unique per item and change when transferred to another shard.  You want the Type ID.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    keven2002 said:
    Adding Item ID tags isn't a bad idea but the reason I don't like it is because you cannot find the item ID within the game via normal game play.

Exactly - it would have to be added to the interior decorator like they added the hue id number. I play CC with no add ons - not even UO Assist so I have no idea how to find item id numbers.
  • DryzzidDryzzid Posts: 80
    keven2002 said:

I do think they could add a few more options to the search function though to make it better to search like "Crafted vs Not crafted" or maybe even something like "No Properties" (if "Event item" couldn't be flagged).
    I can see your point.. but still, the information in very easily accessible without having to make an account anywhere, and InsideUO is safe and has been around for almost 2 decades. Still, I see your point. I agree with @Marge that it would be cool to see the deco tool give the ID number.

I like your ideas as well.I feel like things wouldn't slog down as much if we could refine our searches a little more.
    TimSt said:
    Item IDs are unique per item and change when transferred to another shard.  You want the Type ID.

Thank you very much for clarifying :)

74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    Yea I was thinking that too about adding the interior decorating and I think that's a step in the right direction but the only down side to this is for anyone looking for something they don't already have / have access to (ie event drop). 

The other thing I think that would be an issue and I'm not sure how it would work would be if we were talking armor... would there be a different ID based on properties or would a pair of chain legs be a pair of chain legs (regardless of EM drop / NPC bought / loot drop legendary item / GM crafted). That would be a sticky point because if they are all the same (ie chain legs are chain legs) that might still make it hard to sort through stuff. If it's a specific ID based on something like EM drop or type of property names then we would run into the issue I listed up top. This would definitely need to be thought through.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    KHAN said:
    I have a better suggestion. Just keep the "endless scripter" accounts from being able to use VS. @ Bleak @ Kyronix @ Misk @ Mesanna The endless journey accounts scripting VS are a HUGE part of what is screwing it up. Also, exactly how important are EJ accounts??? How many are actually "returning players"? 2? 3? Let's be honest. All they are is support/scripting accounts for paid accounts! EJ was/is a stupid idea that should have NEVER been allowed. COME ON Devs! Ban EJ accounts from vendor search for 2 weeks, and see if that doesn't help!!! Or even better, do away with EJ accounts completely. It WILL make what's left of the game a little better place.
    Or even better, do away with EJ accounts completely. 

On that, I cannot agree.

The cat is now out of the bag, and it is too late, to my opinion, to take Endless Journey accounts away.

Many players have spent real money upgrading them to High Seas, Times of Legends, have spent real money to purchase Soulstones to use with these Endless Journey accounts, stable slot tokens and spent real money in other ways to upgrade their Endless Journey accounts.

It would not be fair, now, after player have spent real money to upgrade their Endless Journey accounts, to do away with them, completely.

Sorry but no, I cannot agree with this.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Just verified and there is a Get Type ID action in the default EC. So it should not be too hard to modify the decorator tool to include a button for it for ease of use.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    popps said:
    KHAN said:
    I have a better suggestion. Just keep the "endless scripter" accounts from being able to use VS. @ Bleak @ Kyronix @ Misk @ Mesanna The endless journey accounts scripting VS are a HUGE part of what is screwing it up. Also, exactly how important are EJ accounts??? How many are actually "returning players"? 2? 3? Let's be honest. All they are is support/scripting accounts for paid accounts! EJ was/is a stupid idea that should have NEVER been allowed. COME ON Devs! Ban EJ accounts from vendor search for 2 weeks, and see if that doesn't help!!! Or even better, do away with EJ accounts completely. It WILL make what's left of the game a little better place.

On that, I cannot agree.

The cat is now out of the bag, and it is too late, to my opinion, to take Endless Journey accounts away.

Many players have spent real money upgrading them to High Seas, Times of Legends, have spent real money to purchase Soulstones to use with these Endless Journey accounts, stable slot tokens and spent real money in other ways to upgrade their Endless Journey accounts.

It would not be fair, now, after player have spent real money to upgrade their Endless Journey accounts, to do away with them, completely.

If they upgraded then they aren't ej anymore @popps
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited March 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Yea I was thinking that too about adding the interior decorating and I think that's a step in the right direction but the only down side to this is for anyone looking for something they don't already have / have access to (ie event drop). 

The other thing I think that would be an issue and I'm not sure how it would work would be if we were talking armor... would there be a different ID based on properties or would a pair of chain legs be a pair of chain legs (regardless of EM drop / NPC bought / loot drop legendary item / GM crafted). That would be a sticky point because if they are all the same (ie chain legs are chain legs) that might still make it hard to sort through stuff. If it's a specific ID based on something like EM drop or type of property names then we would run into the issue I listed up top. This would definitely need to be thought through.

It's the ID for the graphic itself, no attached properties. Chain legs would be chain legs. Well, technically, you'd be able to search for the ones that run N/S or E/W longways specifically. But if I were looking for:

I could enter "chainmail leggings" and put 5057 for the type ID and get results for only that graphic matching "chainmail leggings" not every piece of equippable chainmail legs listed on VS.

Then, instead of having to sift through dozens of pages of chainmail leggings, I only see results for the item I want.
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    KHAN said:

On that, I cannot agree.

If they upgraded then they aren't ej anymore @ popps
    It is possible to upgrade an EJ account without paying  subscription... it remains an EJ account BUT, has High Seas, Times of Legends and is using purchased with real money items from the UO Store like Soulstones and other stuff....

It would not be fair, to my opinion, to stop the functionality of EJ accounts after players have spent real money on them.
    edited March 2022
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    KHAN said:

On that, I cannot agree.

If they upgraded then they aren't ej anymore @ popps
    It is possible to upgrade an EJ account without paying  subscription... it remains an EJ account BUT, has High Seas, Times of Legends and is using purchased with real money items from the UO Store like Soulstones and other stuff....

It would not be fair, to my opinion, to stop the functionality of EJ accounts after players have spent real money on them.
    Sorry but if you want to dance you have to pay the piper.. and I'm not even sure you can upgrade those things as an EJ account but lets say you can anyone who has done so is no longer TRYING the game they are just not wanting to pay a monthly fee while reaping all the benefits 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Yes EJ accounts can buy anything in either store.  They can and do upgrade to High Seas and ToL as needed.  

And they will have to have ToL if the dynamic quest locations do not change

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    McDougle said:

Sorry but if you want to dance you have to pay the piper.. and I'm not even sure you can upgrade those things as an EJ account but lets say you can anyone who has done so is no longer TRYING the game they are just not wanting to pay a monthly fee while reaping all the benefits 
    "Reaping all the benefits" ?

Shall I start listing all of the limits that EJ accounts have ?

Just to name a couple, but the list one can make is quite long, not only EJ accounts cannot have a house but, they cannot be friended to a private house, only to public houses and, they cannot even be granted access to containers inside a House but only to Wall safes....

There's not much "benefits" that EJ accounts can reap, to my opinion.....
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

"Reaping all the benefits" ?

Shall I start listing all of the limits that EJ accounts have ?

Just to name a couple, but the list one can make is quite long, not only EJ accounts cannot have a house but, they cannot be friended to a private house, only to public houses and, they cannot even be granted access to containers inside a House but only to Wall safes....

There's not much "benefits" that EJ accounts can reap, to my opinion.....
    WOW You're serious.  How about Power Scrolls, Expansions, CHAMP SPAWNS, Vendor Search.  The only major restrictions are Housing, Bank Storage and Char slots but all you have to do is open more FREE EJ Accounts to overcome some of this and lets not forget all the MULTIBOXER teams running out there thanks to all these free EJ Accounts,  I feel so sorry for all those poor throw away EJ Accounts that count towards the biggest cheat IMHO going, MULTIBOXING, NOT.
    I feel this post has really been hijacked so my last comment the bottom line is EJ was meant to be a return gateway for older players not a long term thing...
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    WOW You're serious.  How about Power Scrolls, Expansions, CHAMP SPAWNS, Vendor Search.  The only major restrictions are Housing, Bank Storage and Char slots but all you have to do is open more FREE EJ Accounts to overcome some of this and lets not forget all the MULTIBOXER teams running out there thanks to all these free EJ Accounts,  I feel so sorry for all those poor throw away EJ Accounts that count towards the biggest cheat IMHO going, MULTIBOXING, NOT.
    The heck are you talking about? EJ accounts cannot get power scrolls from champ spawns. Neither can they keyword search in Vendor Search anymore.

https://uo.com/endless-journey/ :
    "Can Endless Journey accounts participate in Champ Spawns?

Endless Journey can use Valor to start champion spawns and acquire valor while doing spawns but may not receive rewards or scrolls from Champions."

Jepeth said:
    The heck are you talking about? EJ accounts cannot get power scrolls from champ spawns. Neither can they keyword search in Vendor Search anymore.

https://uo.com/endless-journey/ :
    "Can Endless Journey accounts participate in Champ Spawns?

Endless Journey can use Valor to start champion spawns and acquire valor while doing spawns but may not receive rewards or scrolls from Champions."

They are allowed to use them and they help kill the people that killed the Champ and take the scrolls.   Maybe you should learn what EJ Accounts are really being used for.  PK Multiboxers kill PvM players after the spawn is done.  EJ Accounts should have NEVER been allowed in Fel or at least the Champ Spawns.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Odd that they cant use containers but they can use containers?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    edited March 2022
    I’ve heard a lot of hyperbole on these forums but PKs employing multiboxing EJ characters to kill PVM players at champion spawns is really up there.

How would you even know they are EJ characters? How do you even know they are multiboxing? And if they are displaying the tell-tale signs of multiboxing, I feel as if that would A. be just about the worst PK strategy because of stamina blocking in Felucca and B. the issue isn’t that they are EJ characters.. the issue is they are multiboxing. EJ characters have been an acceptable part of the game for years now; multiboxing has never been allowed. You seem fixated upon the wrong thing.

But, to return us to topic, yes an item ID search would be great.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Dryzzid said:
    The other day I was searching for some lava tiles on VS... you all know what happens: I enter my search and every item with the word lava in the name comes up. I have to make a couple of extra searches to comb through the result pages to find what I want.

Yesterday, the same situation occurred as I was looking for the old blood tiles. Entering "blood" yields every item with "blood" in it - and that's a lot of items. It took me 8 searches to find the cheapest blood tile from the bottom up.

If I search for the hanging chainmail leggings from the Underworld puzzle I get every piece of chainmail legs listed on VS - which often comes back with a "refine your search" result. This happens a LOT when searching for "of exceptional quality" items as well.

Then there is the biggest offender: rubble. Every day I look for the same pieces of rubble and I have to go through the entire list because rubble prices are so variable that the items could fall anywhere in the price ranges. It takes me 9 searches to go through the full list when all I am looking for are the short grasses. And I'm sure everyone here has felt the frustration of getting half way through the search results after 5 or 6 searches and then vendor search stops working.

I propose that adding item ID number as a criterion could potentially reduce the number of searches being performed, perhaps providing some relief to the VS system. In each of the above scenarios, if I were able to search the ID for lava tiles, blood tiles, and the specific rubble pieces I am looking for, I would avoid many unnecessary searches and save a lot of time.

Yesterday I searched for and bought the first Book of Lore from the Deceit event... I had been searching for about 2 weeks or so... and each time I searched for it, I had to go through the entire list of filled BoL and empty crafted ones. Not a huge amount of searches I'll concede, but still 5-6 searches when, with an item ID search, I could have found the book in one.

Item IDs are easy enough to come by, many (if not all?) are listed on the Stratics Wiki and InsideUO is an easy tool to find them as well.

This is indeed a great idea!

And btw, on EC (at least with Pincos) if you press shift, the tooltip shows you the item type and also the hue.
    Archangel said:

And btw, on EC (at least with Pincos) if you press shift, the tooltip shows you the item type and also the hue.
    Adding hue as a criterion would be awesome too, now that I think about it :D

74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    Dryzzid said:
    Archangel said:

Adding hue as a criterion would be awesome too, now that I think about it :D

Lol, they're gonna put us on meds if we keep fantasizing like this!  :D