Kyronix, can we PLEASE get LUCK to work reliably ?

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    edited February 2022
    @popps ; Lets pretend you know what drops in Shadowguard.  There are 16 possible item groups.  There are multiples of some of those groups.  The Cameos, the earrings the books have different versions.  

So there are at least 30 individual items that a player can get. Which item would you have the devs decide is the one a player wants?  My toons all wear 2 or 3 of those wardrobe items.  Obi, Hawkwinds, Jumus, boots.  When building a new template, I begin with those.  Cameo is last because I can imbue a slayer on a weapon.  I have sets of the earrings I go get for the turtle spawn.  The Dragon Turtle damage reduction ones are quite useful since it can do 60 plus damage to you.  Taming a Dime?  Wear those earrings.

How many successful roof trips have you made @popps ; How many tries until you got a Cameo.

The math says it can't be a 1 in 20 chance to get one of the Cameos.  
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    McDougle said:
    Maybe it's just my bad luck that popps ignored my post...
    Yea maybe mine too. This guy only likes to read and use posts that help his arguments (even if they've been disproved). If you are posting contrary to what he's trolling and he can't think of a response he will just ignore it. 

Point blank luck does work; people just mad because they aren't getting Cameo's every third drop and getting maxed out 8 mod property legendary artifacts that are dex pieces. They aren't getting them every other kill so obviously luck is broken.... even though myself along with many others here have provided many good examples of how they misunderstand how luck works.

More trolling. 
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 300
    edited February 2022
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:
    Yea maybe mine too. This guy only likes to read and use posts that help his arguments (even if they've been disproved). If you are posting contrary to what he's trolling and he can't think of a response he will just ignore it. 

Point blank luck does work; people just mad because they aren't getting Cameo's every third drop and getting maxed out 8 mod property legendary artifacts that are dex pieces. They aren't getting them every other kill so obviously luck is broken.... even though myself along with many others here have provided many good examples of how they misunderstand how luck works.

More trolling. 
    I'm on a streak of 10 runs at shadowguard with no drop, I'm not trolling I'm asking a legitimate question about luck.

Also questionning the mentionned 1 in 30 chance for a cameo, when im doing 10 runs with NO drops... where are the 29 other chance at something ?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:

More trolling. 
    I'm on a streak of 10 runs at shadowguard with no drop, I'm not trolling I'm asking a legitimate question about luck.

Also questionning the mentionned 1 in 30 chance for a cameo, when im doing 10 runs with NO drops... where are the 29 other chance at something ?
    My assertion is that if there is positive luck that helps you then there could be bad luck as well ...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    edited February 2022

Also questioning the mentioned 1 in 30 chance for a cameo, when im doing 10 runs with NO drops... where are the 29 other chance at something ?
    OK.  I did not know you were getting nothing for a while with luck.

From that page:
    • Luck increases a player’s chance at obtaining a powerful artifact reward.
    New artifacts can be found in the Valley of Eodon.  These artifacts are available as rewards from completing Shadowguard.

They being tricky with their names of things?  Do they mean luck gets you some powerful artifact in the loot that is deemed special?

I know they changed Doom so you would either get a drop from the list or an artifact.  Which means you can do it multiples times without a "real" drop.

The devs are stingier than I thought it seems.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,248
    McDougle said:
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:

More trolling. 

My assertion is that if there is positive luck that helps you then there could be bad luck as well ...
    Do you have bad STR, INT, Mana, DEX, LMC, LRC these are all STATS just like LUCK.
  • popps said:
    I totally agree with what you say, in UO worn Luck is a Stat, a Property, pretty much like any other in the game.... if one has MAX Hit Chance Increase, they HIT MORE and miss LESS.... with worn Luck, unfortunately, often it does not look like that....
    This is the worst comparison ever, completely different calculation which is primarily based on combat skill (I suggest reading up).  If comparing to any other stat it's closer to Hit Life/Mana Leech.
    Even with 100% Mana Leech there is still a chance to leech nothing but I dont see you complaining about that.
    popps said:
    I mean, high Luck does nothing in helping killing High End Bosses.... on the contrary, it makes the character more vulnerable and less powerfull in fighting.... as a consequence, the fight with a high Luck character can more likely end bad (multiple deaths...) rather then good....
    Most players I know throw their luck suits on just before the boss dies.  This is just another 'I'm dieing a lot, it needs fixed' complaint.

'Chance' is the key word in many of UOs stats.  In some cases even 100% does not guarantee a result.  Even with maximum luck, you will inevitably still roll crap stats, the 'named' system is mostly to blame for this.
    I'd rather the 'named' system was just removed, it would make for far more varied and interesting items.

Luck works, just clearly not the way you (and some others) want it to...as per normal.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    keven2002 said:

I HEARD THAT LUCK WORKS BETTER WHEN USING EC BECAUSE IT'S THE BETTER CLIENT TO USE! 
    Yeah, I agree  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    McDougle said:
    keven2002 said:
    McDougle said:

More trolling. 

Do you have bad STR, INT, Mana, DEX, LMC, LRC these are all STATS just like LUCK.
    Very well said !!
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    popps said:
    I totally agree with what you say, in UO worn Luck is a Stat, a Property, pretty much like any other in the game.... if one has MAX Hit Chance Increase, they HIT MORE and miss LESS.... with worn Luck, unfortunately, often it does not look like that....
    This is the worst comparison ever, completely different calculation which is primarily based on combat skill (I suggest reading up).  If comparing to any other stat it's closer to Hit Life/Mana Leech.
    Even with 100% Mana Leech there is still a chance to leech nothing but I dont see you complaining about that.
    popps said:
    I mean, high Luck does nothing in helping killing High End Bosses.... on the contrary, it makes the character more vulnerable and less powerfull in fighting.... as a consequence, the fight with a high Luck character can more likely end bad (multiple deaths...) rather then good....
    Most players I know throw their luck suits on just before the boss dies.  This is just another 'I'm dieing a lot, it needs fixed' complaint.

'Chance' is the key word in many of UOs stats.  In some cases even 100% does not guarantee a result.  Even with maximum luck, you will inevitably still roll crap stats, the 'named' system is mostly to blame for this.
    I'd rather the 'named' system was just removed, it would make for far more varied and interesting items.

Luck works, just clearly not the way you (and some others) want it to...as per normal.

Well, the Developers could VERY WELL, to my understanding, change that and make it so that worn  LUCK was to be factored in throughout the ENTIRE damage dealt to the MoB and not only at the time of kill....

And, of course, at that point, make Worn Luck be truly impactfull and significant since, wearing a suit with High Luck, means being a whole lot less effective both in damage dealt as well as in defense abilities.

Of course, it would be a bit more complex to Design a a worn Luck mechanics that was to be factored in throughout the entire damage dealt to a MoB, rather then only coming into place the moment that the MoB gets killed.... but it would be much fairer, much more just, and actually not realying on what I consider a cheat or, work around, if we will.... that of swapping one's own suit with a Luck suit for the killing blow only....

I have no doubt to say that I would LOVE to see a worn Luck Design that was to factor in worn Luck throughout the ENTIRE damage dealt to a MoB and not just at the time of the killing blow, of course, then making the "bonus" from such worn Luck TRULY effective and beneficial.... the question is, would then the Developers be willing to rewrite the way that Luck works in Ultima online so that these "trick" of swapping one's own suit with a Luck one at the very end, for the killing blow, was to be pointless and, in return, make worn Luck truly be beneficial then, to make it up for the compensation of having to face more difficult fights because of having to swap important properties in order to make room for Luck on one's own suit ?

@Kyronix , what do you think ? Can we hope to see in Ultima Online a better, fairer and more just "LUCK" mechanics ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    This thread is based on a misunderstanding of how dredging hooks work. I have since edited the page and hope the explanation is clearer
    Please contact me by DM if I you feel the explanation is still unclear ( @keven2002 ?)

This discussion has been closed.