Why do we need the Chalice of Pilfering Protection? Why isn't it just a default feature in Trammel

As title states. Can't wrap my head around this one.
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "I'm not sure what the big deal is over monsters rummaging through corpses and taking items, they can't take insured or blessed items,
    And nobody else can loot the item off the monster, it only appears in your looting rights"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited February 2022
    The conclusion in the TC feedback is that this is a useless item and waste of bandwidth and resources.

I think "even" fixing a critical bug like the vet reward spellbook strap or adding search to jewelry box, has more positive impact.

For a new item, maybe a vet reward that helps with refinement to avoid the dice. Or a weight reducer for leather which could also be huntsman reward. How about a free auto renew insurance for 2 hours? This will be useful for EM event, rumors that its an "insurance" scam  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    This item shows how out of touch with the players the development team is....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited February 2022
    McDougle said:
    Yeah, not sure why "protection from monster looting" goes up to the top of the priority queue. 
  • I don't think a monster has looted my corpse since 2010 lol
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    I don't think a monster has looted my corpse since 2010 lol
    You evidently haven't done the events recently like Hythloth and Ice dungeons.   I cannot keep from getting killed quite often and almost every time the monster takes something or more from my body and my body is miles from where I get rezzed.  Either that or you're a Sampire and don't get killed but once in a month and I ain't smart enough to run a Samp.

edited February 2022
    I always insure the minor arties so it stays with me. In death, I don't have to run back near the paragon to recover the loot from a corpse. If Chalice is used, u need to run back and risk getting swamped by paragons.

Insurance has becomes a habit and easy using a macro button. So I don't have to keep track if I used a chalice or the 2 hours is up.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    They now loot fairly often at special events and sometimes take the good stuff.  You don’t always get your stuff back.  Sometimes you can’t find the monster, sometimes it is killed and gone before you get back, and sometimes other players get your stuff when they loot the corpse.  When you get a drop insure it or turn it in if you don’t want to risk losing it.  Don’t carry things you don’t want to lose.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Never heard of this chalice.  Does it really exist?  Or, is this a request that it be created.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I've had a mob of mobs steal every non-insurable item from my corps.  Not having to worry about that would be nice.  It also allows players to use high powered cursed items and not worry about losing them during a PvM fight.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Perfect item. 1 player buys one. Sets to public. 
    Everyone on shard uses it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    Arnold7 said:
    Never heard of this chalice.  Does it really exist?  Or, is this a request that it be created.

It's one of the new veteran rewards, see the publish notes.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    Seth said:
    McDougle said:
    Yeah, not sure why "protection from monster looting" goes up to the top of the priority queue. 
    Two reasons:
    1. Because someone requested it. I remember specifically one person on here that constantly has their threads closed and wants to constantly dispute even the simplest of answers requested something like it because they didn't feel like insuring their Treasures Of items. Just goes to show that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often... or maybe that it's quantity over quality (if you make enough dumb requests, one will eventually get through)?
    2. Low hanging fruit for the Dev team. The item started as a chest that wouldn't be looted. Simple enough because it's just a new container with some logic that would prevent it from being looted. After some feedback it turned into a clicky because the Devs realized how crazy it was to ask people to risk their vet reward pick when they died. Easy enough change, just take that logic that was applied to the chest and make it a buff applied to a players corpse.
  • My 2 cents, we can pick pocket the mobs when they are alive, and we can loot them when they die.  Its fair play for them to loot us.  Its all a part of risk vs reward.  If you die, it adds urgency and a thrill to get back to your body and heal, and then kill the mob who looted you.  This has been a thing forever, don't change it lol.

keven2002 said
    ... I remember specifically one person on here that constantly has their threads closed and wants to constantly dispute even the simplest of answers...
     :D
    I think they should stop locking his threads, or we might get more weird vet rewards every year... hahaha

Of_Beasts said:
    My 2 cents, we can pick pocket the mobs when they are alive, and we can loot them when they die.  Its fair play for them to loot us.  Its all a part of risk vs reward.  If you die, it adds urgency and a thrill to get back to your body and heal, and then kill the mob who looted you.  This has been a thing forever, don't change it lol.

I agree 100%. Running around in God-mode becomes old and boring pretty fast. I feel like one of the main goals in UO from day 1 was "don't die" (or if you do hurry up and rez and reclaim your belongings)... if you can run around at full strength (ie 100 LRC / 70 resists / buffs / arrows / potions / etc /etc) the entire time even after you get killed without needing to restock then who cares if you die? The thrill of getting redlined but being saved doesn't mean as much because you won't ever lose anything; death just become a minor inconvenience rather than something to avoid at all costs.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Seems like the easier approach would be to block monster looting in areas with accelerated corpse decay.  Pretty much every other scenario already has a solution in place.
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    edited February 2022
    Of_Beasts said:
    My 2 cents, we can pick pocket the mobs when they are alive, and we can loot them when they die.  Its fair play for them to loot us.  Its all a part of risk vs reward.  If you die, it adds urgency and a thrill to get back to your body and heal, and then kill the mob who looted you.  This has been a thing forever, don't change it lol.

Yea. Players can own houses, why not mobs too while they are alive, its fair play. Players can bank, why not allow mobs to bank their loot before they die, its fair play. Lol. The UO community never fails to deliver garbage illogical takes. Here's ya go bud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • The question is why is the luck statue a artifact drop , and this chalice is a vet reward? There is so many similar questions we could ask in UO, regarding items.
    What makes it so different than the luck statue, both are quality of life items.

In my opinion the devs are just out of ideas and not many players throws out ideas. 

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "i would happily forego a vet reward for a bug fix, anything, even a spelling mistake fix"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "i would happily forego a vet reward for a bug fix, anything, even a spelling mistake fix"
    At least fix the old ones first like say the spellbook staps....are admit you can't and let us trade them in....
    edited February 2022
    McDougle said:
    Yoshi said:
    At least fix the old ones first like say the spellbook staps....are admit you can't and let us trade them in....

Spelling mistake is too simple, and they could hire temps to fix these cosmetic or informational items.

For the programming man-effort: personally, I would exchange the Chalice of Pilfering Protection for 2 things that I use most often:
    - Spellbook strap that returns the spellbook correctly, and
    - Add search function to Jewelry Box so we can save 95% time to search 500 jewelry.

Before the next event, I also hope they can spend some time to fix the targeting/ghost issue in game client.

Edit:
    The above is already reduced expectation.
    Normal expectation is to have Both bug fixes + new Vet rewards that are truly useful.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    Seth said:
    - Add search function to Jewelry Box so we can save 95% time to search 500 jewelry.
    That is a UI fix and can be found in Pinco's UI. Can't be that much of an add to enhanced client, not sure what it might involve in Classic. 
  • A few notes:
    1. Ask your shard EM to lock down a anti-pilfering chalice at west brit bank.
    2. UO team should mark some monsters as having stealing skill, and have them actively steal from players in combat/etc.
    3. Monsters should be more aggressive in looting corpses, at least the ones that have hands.

I think the Chalice should work exactly like the 25th anniv shield; account must be 2 years to claim and use; effects are account bound (ie no public chalice which defeats the purpose of it being a vet reward). They should be consistent with how the rewards work.
    keven2002 said:
    I think the Chalice should work exactly like the 25th anniv shield; account must be 2 years to claim and use; effects are account bound (ie no public chalice which defeats the purpose of it being a vet reward). They should be consistent with how the rewards work.
    You and your consistency crazy talk  ;)
  • It is a pointless vet reward, as all of them are. This publish is the worst publish I have seen in my 24+ UO career. I really believe UO needs a new direction in terms of leadership, when you allow your dev team to release something like that shows your inability to lead a team. I don't care how small your dev team is, you can do 100X more in a 5 month period.
    I see someone went to the small trouble of using one of their many accounts to come bash the devs.
  • Pawain said:
    I see someone went to the small trouble of using one of their many accounts to come bash the devs.
    No I just don't post here much since forums are so your thing, most people have moved onto discord. 5k posts good job, you should spend less time on the forums and play the game we are all talking about. Maybe you will understand our frustrations with the current team, or maybe you need to play other games to see what standard we should hold the dev to.
    Pawain said:
    No I just don't post here much since forums are so your thing, most people have moved onto discord. 5k posts good job, you should spend less time on the forums and play the game we are all talking about. Maybe you will understand our frustrations with the current team, or maybe you need to play other games to see what standard we should hold the dev to.
    I guarantee I play more than you.

Do you also go to restaurants you do not like but keep going? 

There are thousands of other games to play.