getting back

Getting back into the game.  Havent really played since 2007 or so.  Whats a good US eastern time zone based server.  Not much into PVP.  I played mostly on Lake Superior back in the day. 

Comments

• Atlantic is the only option
  • Great Lakes is also a good EST shard - less population than ATL, but a decently sized one with a little PvP but it doesn't dominate everything. Good community that helps out and community events often.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Great Lakes has a nice population that provides good attendance at major events so that you can work with other players to bring down the toughest foes.  Lots of spots available for average sized houses.  Have not played on Atlantic.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Cats is very friendly.  Make a char on each server and see for yourself.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    I lived in southern California all my life played on Pac since 99 im now living in East Tennessee
    last year and half and I still play Pac having a great time here lately  time zone hasn't been an issue so far 

glad your back  

• Thank you all for the responses.  Trying to sort out my accounts.  A lot has changed since I last logged in lol.  I am really looking forward to playing again.  
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Getting back into the game.  Havent really played since 2007 or so.  Whats a good US eastern time zone based server.  Not much into PVP.  I played mostly on Lake Superior back in the day. 
    What are you looking to do or what is your play style? If you are more of a solo type player that wants a large house relatively soon then most of the shards except for ATL (limited housing) would be fine; some are more crowded than others but from what I've seen there are spaces to build and you can play at your own pace. Some shards you can do a champ spawn without much fear of being raided at certain hours.

If you are looking for a more populated shard and more steady group play and/or the ability to buy just about anything you need then I'd recommend you come join us on ATL. The chances of you doing a champ spawn without being raided are slim but seems like there are constantly call outs to do high end content throughout the day and there are weekly Scalis events on Sundays. Additionally as I mentioned before if you are looking to buy something instead of getting it yourself; you can almost always find it on ATL (prices will vary). 

If you want a middle of the road shard, I'd guess that GL or LS would be your best bet. I don't play them but quite a few people that post here play there and it seems like there is a good amount of solo type things without interruption but also has group play so you can pick which you'd like (although group play might only be a certain prime times).

Hope that helps!

Welcome back!!
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    You will find anything you could ever need at anytime on Atlantic. The downside is you'll be paying for the convenience. Most of your good hunting spots will be filled as well as housing.

Great Lakes/Chessy seem to be moderately populated but i am unsure if you will be able to get help with suits and if you can find basics on vendors. 

(I'm looking to move an account off Atl as well so sell me your shard)
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    On Chessy, we have a few vendors that stock basics. If you call out in gen chat, someone is usually around and will help.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Cats is a great east coast shard 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • TjalleTjalle Posts: 77
    Siege Perilous.
    Just avoid the PKs and you´ll have a fun and exciting time.
  • I know of a spot to place a keep in Trammel right now on Sonoma. There aren't many people but there are enough. I tend to play solo a lot though so I don't notice the lack of players around me.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Catskills is probably the single most toxic cesspool called a server in UO to date. It's the home server to some of the worst people to have plagued our UO community, people who've been banned multiple times for predatory stalking behavior to say the least, but who have also managed to weasel out of their bans after a year, multiple times.

Chances are you'll be moving stuff off Atlantic to whatever server you choose and vice versa, so do yourself a favor and choose Atlantic.
  • Thank you all for the responses.  Trying to sort out my accounts.  A lot has changed since I last logged in lol.  I am really looking forward to playing again.  
    woah dude please don't listen to the people recommending any shard other then Atlantic. The rest are 100% dead outside of maybe of 5-10 player community that refuses to leave because they value some virtual real estate.

It would be the worst decision you could make to go anywhere other then Atlantic.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    edited January 2022
    AtomicBetty said:
    The rest are 100% dead outside of maybe of 5-10 player community that refuses to leave because they value some virtual real estate.
    Completely false. Hell, I wish there were fewer people on my shard.
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    To be honest Great Lakes has a great community of people and would welcome new and returning players. AtomicBetty clearly has no idea what she is talking about or is openly lying. Atlantic has one of the more toxic communities and suffers from over crowding. Whatever shard you pick good luck to you and enjoy the game. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited January 2022
    Like I've said it really depends on what the OP is looking for. I play ATL and love the population because it allows me to group play when I want (ie Krampus/Scalis) but I can also go solo play without much interruption (or fear of losing anything in Tram) when I want to go pirate some ships or kill Dreadhorn etc. I remember there being a post last month where someone's shard didn't have enough people doing Krampus runs to actually spawn him (or that 1 person needed to do all 20+ runs and hope people would help). This wasn't an issue on ATL.

@Krazyalt97 - I'd use the comments here as a rough guideline of what some shards offer. Don't worry too much about what shard you start on because there is always a transfer token if you want to move. 
  • Where ever you go create a trail of chaos and pandemonium and make some fun! >:)

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    are you using your account from then?
    then I suggest you stick with Lake Superior
    it has a thriving community with awesome players
    usually there is always someone on there
    & its a bonus that you won't have to work up all new skills
    And you could run into old friends

if you want a change of pace
    then you can check out other shards
    Sonoma is a west coast shard, but most of the people 
    I play with are CT or ET players

if you want a change of pace
    then you can check out other shards
    Sonoma is a west coast shard, but most of the people 
    I play with are CT or ET players

I moved from Atlantic to Sonoma a couple years ago and I really enjoy the slower pace. With all the stuff you can do in game now, I find myself doing less buying and selling (which gets old to me) and more exploring and crafting. I found that I LOVE growing plants and crafting dyes. I can spend so much time on that. Sonoma is great for someone like me.