Krampus Locations

Every year I feel like I have a difficult time locating Krampus when he spawns. I’ll enter the coordinates in, go to the location, and often see nothing. I’ll run around looking for minions or any other people who are searching and might not see anything at all. Sometimes it says “a forest near Vesper”, for example, but the coordinates are somewhere else… like Britain. Is this common? What could I be doing wrong?

Comments

• Ugh it’s the worst! Or I’m the worst at it. I find it very frustrating. I wish there were other prompts along the way. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    They are close on LS.   During someones run they will spawn Krampus.  I guess the coords are where the minions are at.  If that person keeps running maybe the Coords are off a little.

I always find him in that general area.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    He just popped on my run.  The Coords were exactly where the minions were.  But Krampus was about 3 screens away when he appeared.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    I heard in chat the other day that you can bump up the level of spawn to spawn Krampus but using moongates (don't need to run the trades); is that correct? I know that we should do at least least "runs" to get a drop but would be good to know if I can help push the spawn by just using moongates for when it's not primetime and he spawns a bit slower.

Btw I think I read somewhere it's a total of 30 trade runs that spawns him (from the first trade run after his death)??
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited December 2021
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/seasonal-events/the-krampus-encounter/

Moongate shortcuts are frowned upon and do not contribute to the summoning of Krampus.

I think it is 25 runs and there is a chance he spawns. Each additional run gets a higher chance.
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    He always spawn on the coordinates that are given. It's 5 mins from when the info is given until he spawns you either try to find the minions that started the spawn message and help kill them while waiting or just stay where he will spawn. It's as low as 21 runs 1-5 runs spiders, 6-10 elementals, 11-15 serpents, 16-20 wyrms and from 21 minions and a chance for Krampus.
    Ya they have to involve RNG in everything. If your lucky then 21. Avg 25. Unlucky 30.
  • Good info...thanks you guys.
  • Chrille said:
    He always spawn on the coordinates that are given. It's 5 mins from when the info is given until he spawns you either try to find the minions that started the spawn message and help kill them while waiting or just stay where he will spawn. It's as low as 21 runs 1-5 runs spiders, 6-10 elementals, 11-15 serpents, 16-20 wyrms and from 21 minions and a chance for Krampus.
    Good info!

Does anybody know if the krampus progress "decays"?  e.g. does progress need to be made at a certain rate over time?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Chrille said:
    Good info!

Does anybody know if the krampus progress "decays"?  e.g. does progress need to be made at a certain rate over time?
    I wondered same i was second or third wave of elementals last night resuming this morning to spiders and slugs 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

It reset at server down. Besides from that the only thing that reset is that he get summoned, he will autodecay if not engaged in 30 min if I remember correct.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    edited December 2021
    Just gave it another try. I waited until the coordinates were given. I already have 4 trade runs completed. I enter the coordinates and run to the location. It took 6 minutes to get there so he should have spawned. I do not see him anywhere. I’m running around a larger and larger radius from the location and I don’t see anyone around at all nor do I see any minions. Running around for 20 minutes for no reason. 

It also said west of Trinsic. It was northwest but more importantly, it was like right beside Skara. I feel like the coordinates and the worded description are inaccurate or something. Im really not sure what im doing wrong here. 
    Are you the only player on the shard?  You don't call out in chat?

I make gates every time I am at Krampus.
    dvvid said:
    Just gave it another try. I waited until the coordinates were given. I already have 4 trade runs completed. I enter the coordinates and run to the location. It took 6 minutes to get there so he should have spawned. I do not see him anywhere. I’m running around a larger and larger radius from the location and I don’t see anyone around at all nor do I see any minions. Running around for 20 minutes for no reason. 

It also said west of Trinsic. It was northwest but more importantly, it was like right beside Skara. I feel like the coordinates and the worded description are inaccurate or something. Im really not sure what im doing wrong here. 
    Could be that you map program isn't calibrated, You can test it using a sextant and you will see if you are at the coordinates after entering them. The wording for some of the areas seems a bit strange but they usually points to nearest city, I think it's the same as idoc announcements and then the britain swamps are called near Cove.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Use a sextant. Usually he spawns near someone on a route.  He spawned on me last night. I was at 42 something and 13 something else  and the coords given were 43 something and 14 something else...it took him about 5-7 minutes to spawn and he spawned at the exact coords that were given. I never use a map utility program.

Pawain said:

I’ll try asking in chat where he is next time. You could simply suggest that instead of sarcastically asking if I’m the only player on the shard. 
    Chrille said:
    dvvid said:

Could be that you map program isn't calibrated, You can test it using a sextant and you will see if you are at the coordinates after entering them. The wording for some of the areas seems a bit strange but they usually points to nearest city, I think it's the same as idoc announcements and then the britain swamps are called near Cove.
    No map program used. I’m using EC. I’ll try using a sextant although it seems redundant. 
    dvvid said:
    Pawain said:

I’ll try asking in chat where he is next time. You could simply suggest that instead of sarcastically asking if I’m the only player on the shard. 
    I can't imagine living on a shard where players are not in chat talking about events.  Glad we do.

I see some players who think if they do Krampus alone they will get more drops?  Not sure why they would spent 30 mins killing him alone when they could get help and still get what you earn in a lot less time.

I like content that has no negatives for group play.
  • I wish we had an in-game map that offered:
    1.) Toggling between world map and local radius map.
    2.) Ability to plug in coordinates and an as-the-crow-flies line tethers to your destination point on map (Like you find on UOAM). 

I've no idea if EC map mechanics are different. But I don't think the CC map has been changed in the whole history of the game. Other than adding new land masses.

Create a compass. I'd buy a compass from the UO store if it offered these features. I think it would be a big boon to helping players get around and get together in the game world. Is this not a doable thing? Why must we go to outside applications for something like this?
    In EC you can create waypoints 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2021
    As @McDougle said, in EC you can create waypoints (and a compass).

For those who might be interested:

When Krampus spawns, stop running and hide or invisi to avoid ambushers. Right click anywhere on your map and choose "Create Waypoint Here". Set a name, choose a symbol (I use a giant yellow X), type in the coordinates, and click "Okay". If you're not fast enough to use the overhead coordinates, your journal also has the coords. Click on your chat window and choose the journal tab to display the journal.

Once the waypoint is created, zoom out and check the map for the waypoint marker (Giant yellow X is easy to spot). Right click on the waypoint maker and choose "Magnetize Compass" if you want. Now you'll have a compass (the red arrow on the compass points to the waypoint marker) that displays how far you are from your marker.

Once you're close, the waypoint marker will appear in game as a cylindrical-splash yellow pulsing light.

Good luck! Hope that helps people find Evil Santa.
    -Arroth
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Wow, thanks again @Arroth_Thaiel, I didn't know the EC Map can set the coordinates directly.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was different in EC or not. But every once in a while, when I boot up EC to keep it patched, I take a look at the game world, and I just can't. I don't know where anything is. I don't know how anything works. I mean some stuff is obvious but there's a definite learning curve. But since I truly hate how everything looks, I just close the game back up and boot up my beloved CC.

That said, I really do appreciate the tutorial, Arroth. :-)

I'd still buy a compass from the UO store that I could use in CC.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    dvvid said:

One thing that MIGHT have happened here that has gotten me a few times is mixing up the coordinates. What I mean by this is sometimes it's easy to take the coordinates right before the NSEW symbol which isn't correct. In the below it would be easy to quickly look and think "Ok 45 N & 40W" because it's all on the same line when it's really 4N 40W. This has happened to me at least twice so now I make sure to pay close attention to the coordinates.

@keven2002 I used to get coordinates mixed up when I returned years ago but I always make sure to double/triple check as I’ve learned my lesson. I haven’t had time lately to get in game but I’m hoping to make some sense of this this year. 

@Pawain I’m not trying to solo Krampus. That would be absurd as I’m on Atlantic and I don’t really care for soloing things in game so much.

All I’m trying to do here is understand why the coordinates and the descriptions of the locations are seemingly inaccurate. 

Still have not seen Krampus at all.

Last 2 times he spawned when I was logged in, the coordinates were inside of Britain.  
    The last of those times it said "A forest near Vesper".  Britain isn't really near Vesper.  Also, would he spawn within the boundaries of a city in the first place?  I ran to Vesper anyway...no sign of Krampus anywhere on and around the trade route.  Definitely no Krampus inside of Britain.  Checked the coordinates 3 times to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Someone calls out in chat asking for a gate to Krampus, no reply.  I ask where Krampus is, no reply.  This is ATL.

I sincerely feel this encounter is frustrating and not coded well.  I keep doing trade runs in the meantime but would like to actually get a reward for my efforts someday.
    I put the coordinates in map then run large circle around the area often it gives the spawn message before he's really there you have to kill the minions and other spawn to get him to show then more to make him vulnerable 
    Yeah this is what I do as well. Didn’t see minions either. Idk this I just annoying me more than anything.