Champ spawn rule change

Please rethink this approach for future events. With the reward being limited to those that built the spawn it is very hard to find people willing to fight the spawn. This doesn't seem to have the effect of getting more people to build the spawn rather it ends up just being left or few people fighting it for an extended time. Thank you for rethinking this.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I agree it needs some adjustment i think the issue was more with the deco drops needing a boost than anything 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    If you arrive late but kill leftover spawn from the previous waves, you can still get a belt. Although this isn’t always possible. 

At the least, the champ should have a possibility of dropping a deco object on death, so there’s at least that incentive. 
  • I have to disagree. It's always been just a few people, usually the same people who did all the work to get the boss to spawn. Those people never got rewarded for all their extra effort. The people that got rewarded are the ones that just showed up, checked to see how far along the worker bees were, left and then came back when the boss spawned and then left again with their goodies.

When people show up to do the early stages of the spawn it goes really quickly and isn't all that difficult. If people on your shard haven't learn this then they need to hear it. Some still think it works as it use to.

The deco drops.... They are just ugly! Who ever designed them did a great job. They're freaking ugly! lol. I get 4 or 5 per spawn and since they're nothing I want to collect personally they're given away. 

So the only thing remaining is the belt and I really don't need that many. I figure if I get a dozen I'm good for a long while. Maybe I'll grab a few extra to give away. After a week of doing the spawn a couple times a day there's no further incentive to do it is there? I'm not sure if this is a temporary spawn or if it's meant to be long term but if it's long term I can't see how interest is going to be maintained for very long with the current selection of rewards. Even if that belt is the hottest thing eva! Just saying..

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, I think the new system is better but also has a flaw.

I tried to join when the boss pops, kill some remaining spawn around the fringe but did not yet the belt. So if I miss, I may not join in because it's a potential waste of time. 

Maybe 100% sure drop for those who started from beginning and have looting rights for all tiers. And say 70% chance to get a drop if we miss first tier, and then 60% if we miss 2, 50% if we miss 3... then 0. Thinking out loud.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    One change to this would be to make the rare deco item have a better chance to come from the boss encounter and have a chance to drop rather or not you took part in the build up. The deco rewards coming from the spawn are a great incentive for people to do the spawn and often people just do the spawn and see that there are not enough to take the boss in what they consider a reasonable time and leave. Once you've collected 20 belts or missed the first spawn rounds there is little reason to spend 30 - 45 minutes to kill the boss. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    I agree the system now is better than before but still needs some improvements. I'm thinking maybe something like previously mentioned by someone else where it's kind of like Krampus. If you start on the first 2 waves (or kill enough of the first couple waves) you are guaranteed a drop from the boss but even if you come for just the boss you would still get maybe a 25%? 

Another idea, which I'm not sure if this would be possible but scale the champ's stats based on people completing the spawn? i.e if there is only 1 person doing it then the champ would have maybe 10k hp but if there are 10 people doing it then it have 100k hp. 

It's one thing to spend like 90min from start finish for a champ drop if you really want it but spending 45min to kill the champ without a chance of getting anything has too many people seeing the spawn at level 3 and leaving until the champ is dead (which on shards like Origin could take 8+ hours or require a shard maintenance).
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I think the problem is the guaranteed drop. After getting belts for all my characters, even the ones who will probably never use one and some extras I have no interest in doing it again. Not everyone collects deco items but everyone wants at least one of the top item if for no other reason than to see what its about and if it fits one of their characters.

To me it would have made a better more interesting event if the odds of getting a belt had been set a 50 - 50 or less rather than 100%. As it is its just a difficult clicky.

I would also like to see an indication of if you qualified for the drop but luck wasn't on your side this time. For example everyone who qualified gets a plain belt but the lucky ones getting the version with the powers.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    The real issue is there is no way to reset a spawn, if people left it unfinished and gone. 

There is no issue if there are ppl already killing the boss, they probably don't need your help if they have started killing it so you can just wait for the next round. 

Real issue is people left the boss unkilled and no one is willing to kill it (even it can be soloed) because everyone knows it's just a waste of 30 mins of their time, and losing durability on their suit. 

Or, people spent 30 mins on the spawn and realized they have no deco drops because the spawn was a left over and got reverted to wave 1. 

So there should be a way for people to reset the spawn. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    You can get a belt from a spawn that drops to level 2.  I have done that twice.

So, kill stuff and kill the Boss to reset it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:

As i said there will be no deco drop if the spawn was a left over which IS the issue. 

kill everything to reset is a compromise, not the solution and that’s why a lot of ppl are not doing it. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    We did a lot on Origin at first now not so much 
    Did two in a row last night in pac seems supply is meeting demand 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:

As i said there will be no deco drop if the spawn was a left over which IS the issue. 

kill everything to reset is a compromise, not the solution and that’s why a lot of ppl are not doing it. 
    I'm up to 68 Belts and prob got 200 Masks only 1 rare mask.  Only did it for 1 week.

So I would agree with the above.

Supply met the demand.
    edited December 2021
    Pawain said:
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:

I'm up to 68 Belts and prob got 200 Masks only 1 rare mask.
    that’s why people are leaving the spawn after they are finished for the day because they are aiming for the rare mask not the boss belt now 
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:

that’s why people are leaving the spawn after they are finished for the day because they are aiming for the rare mask not the boss belt now 
    Well either those players are:

1. Selfish and somehow got to a spawn that had some drops left and stopped when the drops did.
    2. Stupid.  Because they do not understand that you can call others in chat and finish the spawns quite fast with a group and have more chances for a rare mask.

For the week I did it, I set a 30 minute timer when a spawn ended and called in chat when the next one began so I would have help and all of us had a chance for the same rewards.

But, I may be odd, I like group content.
    edited December 2021
    Pawain said:
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:
    Aragorn said:
    Pawain said:

Well either those players are:

1. Selfish and somehow got to a spawn that had some drops left and stopped when the drops did.
    2. Stupid.  Because they do not understand that you can call others in chat and finish the spawns quite fast with a group and have more chances for a rare mask.

For the week I did it, I set a 30 minute timer when a spawn ended and called in chat when the next one began so I would have help and all of us had a chance for the same rewards.

But, I may be odd, I like group content.
    as I said that could well be the last spawn those people were doing for the day so they would just log off after they couldn’t get any further mask drops which usually happens at around wave 3 when i was solo-ing. So they don’t really care about the rest and therefore your point 2 doesn’t really apply.

I always finish the boss because I still have less than 10 belts at the moment because i’m still spending most of my time in Hythloth. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    edited December 2021
    Pawain said:

Your point on people being stupid because they don't understand how things work seem a little contradictory based on your own experience.
    Pawain said:

I'm up to 68 Belts and prob got 200 Masks only 1 rare mask.  Only did it for 1 week.

You called for people to come help you and did 68+ spawns with 200 masks but only 1 rare. Yet if I solo the champ spawn 10 times I'll get around 250 masks; i.e. do less spawns with more of a chance at a rare. Especially if you do this near shard maintenance or on a few different shards. You always seem to forget that just because YOU do something a certain way, it doesn't make it the right way / best way / smartest way or even the only way. 

@Aragorn - you are spot on. Once people have enough belts the opportunity cost of spending 30-45min (my best solo time on the champ was 45min) just on killing the champ isn't worth it to most. I won't speak for everyone but I know speaking for myself that even if people were to say "I'm starting the Tok spawn at level 1 come help" there is a good chance I wouldn't bother because I don't care about the masks and don't need any more belts. The only thing I can think of would be to have the champ "reset" (i.e. removed) once he's spawned for like 60-90min (to give people enough time to actually kill him without him disappearing if they want to). 
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:

Your point on people being stupid because they don't understand how things work seem a little contradictory based on your own experience.
    Pawain said:

You called for people to come help you and did 68+ spawns with 200 masks but only 1 rare. Yet if I solo the champ spawn 10 times I'll get around 250 masks; i.e. do less spawns with more of a chance at a rare. Especially if you do this near shard maintenance or on a few different shards. You always seem to forget that just because YOU do something a certain way, it doesn't make it the right way / best way / smartest way or even the only way. 

@ Aragorn - you are spot on. Once people have enough belts the opportunity cost of spending 30-45min (my best solo time on the champ was 45min) just on killing the champ isn't worth it to most. I won't speak for everyone but I know speaking for myself that even if people were to say "I'm starting the Tok spawn at level 1 come help" there is a good chance I wouldn't bother because I don't care about the masks and don't need any more belts. The only thing I can think of would be to have the champ "reset" (i.e. removed) once he's spawned for like 60-90min (to give people enough time to actually kill him without him disappearing if they want to). 
    I like group events so selfish ways to play UO do not cross my mind. Sorry.