Who decided to add that "grab and hold" ability to the Hythloth Paras?

That is absolutely the most disgusting and unfair "ability" that I have ever seen added to an already super hard monster.  Paragons were plenty hard without that and it has ended my fun in Hythloth.  I'm sad and frustrated that it has ended my fun with my Archer who could kill them but with a long time of very tactful moves.  Now the Samurais have it all to themselves again.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Are you talking about paralyse? 
    Have you tried using a trapped box?”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Horse archers of Atlantic have unfair advantage, stand off armor ignore damage before my warrior reaches them.

When dealing with paragons, they can get looting rights easily without going near the Balron. I think archer is good. Only advantage of warrior is whirlwind.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    As if the sampires and melee warriors in general can’t be paralyzed? Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I get away just in time… other times I die. It’s chaos down there. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Resisting spells.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • McDougle said:
    Resisting spells.....
    Agreed, this is the best way to avoid it, but with them mega-paragons you almost have to drop resist and add healing to survive. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

McDougle said:
    Resisting spells.....
    Agreed, this is the best way to avoid it, but with them mega-paragons you almost have to drop resist and add healing to survive. 
    Well us real warriors already have healing  ;)
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited November 2021
    I've been a victim of the perfectly timed paralyze when running from an elder gazer/balron paragon only to have it delay me just enough to be hit with another spell or melee hit causing death (I have 120 resist).

That's part of the game though and I don't think it's really that "unfair" so I'm not sure what's the big deal. Sure nobody enjoys seeing a grey screen but with smart game play this can be limited. I did end up dying this morning but that broke my streak of 3 days with no deaths (and I fight all paragons). That is because I play a little different than I would at a champ spawn... you can't think going Leroy Jenkins in the middle everything is going to pay off every time... or think you can sit back on an archer and not be touched.

Do people really think a dungeon full of imps where you just kill dozens at a time would be fun for very long? If you don't like a challenge and if dying in the game is that big of a deal then either change your strategy or do something else that you won't die and just buy the rewards. 
  • McDougle said:
    McDougle said:
    Resisting spells.....
    Well us real warriors already have healing  ;)
    Us really Real Warriors never get hit sooooo . . .   :p 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Lol 
    edited November 2021
    keven2002 said:
    I've been a victim of the perfectly timed paralyze when running from an elder gazer/balron paragon only to have it delay me just enough to be hit with another spell or melee hit causing death (I have 120 resist).

That's part of the game though and I don't think it's really that "unfair" so I'm not sure what's the big deal. Sure nobody enjoys seeing a grey screen but with smart game play this can be limited. I did end up dying this morning but that broke my streak of 3 days with no deaths (and I fight all paragons). That is because I play a little different than I would at a champ spawn... you can't think going Leroy Jenkins in the middle everything is going to pay off every time... or think you can sit back on an archer and not be touched.

Do people really think a dungeon full of imps where you just kill dozens at a time would be fun for very long? If you don't like a challenge and if dying in the game is that big of a deal then either change your strategy or do something else that you won't die and just buy the rewards. 
    Yes, 100%. 

Wondering why no one complained about EM bosses, basically pets tank while archers, mages and bards are standing far away. Very few if any, uses melee warriors for them.

Let me be the first! It's so unfair  :D

No best in slot item should ever be in a limited time,or  limited edition ...
    McDougle said:
    No best in slot item should ever be a limited time,or  limited edition ... or shard bound!
    ^^^
    agree 101%
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    edited November 2021
    Why are so many of you so critical, this is the place we're supposed to let off steam isn't it? 
    Just like on any other forum/boards you can feel free to "let off steam" or give your opinion but don't be surprised of offended when someone(s) else responds with a counter post.

If you didn't want a response it would probably be better to talk to your pets... if you want sympathy then probably best to tell a friend. The UO boards are a place where you get everyone's (mostly) unfiltered feedback :)
    What Kevin said but with love  ;) keep in mind we're an old and jaded player base 
    All love from me! The only things I hate are Gargoyle  :p
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:
    No damage reduction for you 2 years 
  • When a monster teleports to you inside of Hythloth (which can occasionally happen with Paragons), it locks you in place for a second, similar to opening your paperdoll does. You can be in a full on run, then the moment something locked inside a room teleports to you, it interrupts your movement for a second. That's probably what you're seeing.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited November 2021
    When a monster teleports to you inside of Hythloth (which can occasionally happen with Paragons), it locks you in place for a second, similar to opening your paperdoll does. You can be in a full on run, then the moment something locked inside a room teleports to you, it interrupts your movement for a second. That's probably what you're seeing.
    Probably a bug?  Perhaps the server is taking some sort of synchronization lock during the teleport operation, which impacts more than just the entity being teleported.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited November 2021
    I have had good luck with the paralyze some Paras do.  I rarely get hit when I am just standing there frozen.Even when 2 or 3 things are swinging at me. Seems weird, they have no problem hitting me after it wears off.

I just saw an archer kill para Balrons by just leading them and doing AI hits back and forth down the first floor hall.  They would get paralyzed but they stayed far enough ahead so it never got to them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited November 2021
    That's exactly what I do Pawain, but you still have to turn around and there ain't much room to slide by those critters, I understand we have to die sometimes, but still is frustrating, and getting back to your body to get your needed fight items like orange petals back is a real chore.  Oh and Lord help you if you have a Balron AND a Para Wisp and they both either together or one after the other paralyzes you, you be a dead person then!
    Oh and then I happen to be over 8000 miles to the game location so I should count myself lucky I can do anything, let alone fight Paras and win ---- sometimes!!

Yup two paragons get me when in a crowd and I don't notice. I'm WW everything then boom dead. A para flaming gargoyle and hell hound walked up and I didn't notice.  Seems they can really hit you in pairs.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    When a monster teleports to you inside of Hythloth (which can occasionally happen with Paragons), it locks you in place for a second, similar to opening your paperdoll does. You can be in a full on run, then the moment something locked inside a room teleports to you, it interrupts your movement for a second. That's probably what you're seeing.
    I have had this happen to me also from regular MoBs, not only Paragons... and, which is most weird, also when I was a Ghost, going outside to ger ressed...

Why would the MoBs teleport on a Ghost, beats me....
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited November 2021
    Pawain said:
    Yup two paragons get me when in a crowd and I don't notice. I'm WW everything then boom dead. A para flaming gargoyle and hell hound walked up and I didn't notice.  Seems they can really hit you in pairs.
    One of the very annoying things for me, about the Design of these Events, is that when they are aggroed, the color of the Paragons and regular MObs is the same... and I often die, because I do not realize immediately that I am dealing with some Paragons rather then regular MoBs...

I wished, that when aggroed, Paragons had a different coloring as compared to aggroed regular MoBs....

I am using the Classic Client.
    Yup I have hit something over and over and wondered why it wasn't dying. It was a paragon that was grey because of aggro.
    I just role play that I tripped over those mobs that teleport to you and stop movement.
    I have also had them Tele to me as a ghost.
    I think it's a balance between all offense sampires and well rounded warriors i have resisting spells and healing so curses and paralysis doesn't bother me I'm happy that it's creating some diversity in templates 
    edited November 2021
    I have 120 Resisting Spells and 120 Healing also real skills and they sure as heck bother me, what are you doing different McDougle, I need your recipe, heh

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited November 2021
    The type of "paralyze" PlayerSkillFTW describes is not related to the paralyze spell.  It's not affected by resisting spells either.  My guess is it's a bug, related to the way the monster teleport code works -- maybe it's locking the player in place to confirm correct target coordinates for the teleport operation.   Maybe there is some concern about monsters getting moved outside the dungeon/etc - if true, seems other ways to do this.  Easy for a dev to clarify.
    I don't think it's the teleporting that @Parnoc is speaking of i wonder if it's lag ? If he's 8000 miles away what is ping to server?