How about something to protect against curses for some time like Orange petals do with poison ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,904
edited November 2021 in General Discussions
Yes, Enchanted Apples remove Curses, yes, the Chivalry spell Remove Curses removes Curses, yes, the Curse Remove Talisman removes Curses like the Chivalry spell YET, all of these, do not last for an X time but, only remove whatever Curses are there the moment that they are used.

Which, I noticed, is useless, because, the split second that one eats an enchanted apple, or casts the Chivalry Remove Curse spell, or uses a charge on the Curse Removal Talisman, some monster from the spawn will, inevitably, cast those Curses again, and again, and again, and again some more...

To the point that, I no longer bother removing them because I find it pointless since they are then, inevitably, cast on my Template back again, inexorably........

There used to be a saying that the only certainty in life was death well, I feel it as necessary to add to that, the chance that some creature with spell casting abilities in the game Ultima Online will cast Curses on a Template isalso a certainty in life.....

Yes, having Magic Resist on a template helps not getting Cursed yet, not all templates can accomodate those Resisting Spells points.... this would be something to come to the aid of those templates who cannot "squeeze" Resisting Spells skill points on their template.....

So, as I said, since I have realized how pointless it is to remove curses, as they get cast on my template right away, the split second that I remove them, now I no longer bother and I try to get used to play while having them on my Template, as if they are a permanent thing to have to get along with...

Why not then, at least, give to UO players something, an eatable, for example, or a magic fish pie, some new cooking recipe, whatever, that was to enable players to Remove Curses from their template for some time (that is, new curses cast on them over the course of that eatable would not "stick" to the Template with a message saying "you resist to that Curse"....), so that now yes, it would actually make sense to remove them because, at least for X time, the player could play without being under the effect of these Curses ?

Just a thought.....

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Resisting spells...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    McDougle said:
    Resisting spells...
    Yes, having Magic Resist on a template helps not getting Cursed yet, not all templates can accomodate those Resisting Spells points.... this would be something to come to the aid of those templates who cannot "squeeze" Resisting Spells skill points on their template.....

Once again this boils down to choices,  tough choices. But with the ability to have even 800+ skill points entirely possible choices. Nothing needs to be added or "fixed"..
  • McDougle said:
    Once again this boils down to choices,  tough choices. But with the ability to have even 800+ skill points entirely possible choices. Nothing needs to be added or "fixed"..
    100% agreed.  Once again, another 'My template can't deal with X, change it so I can.' request.  Curse really doesn't affect you much in PvE.  If it's really affecting you that bad you need to have a good long, hard look at your template.

Call this a troll post but, I see this thread being locked in a day or so.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Yea IBTL
    Adding cooking or alchemy items wouldn't be horrible but how about crazy things like hail storm not working on provoked creatures or ghost mobs or dozens and dozens of other long standing bugs first....now that'd be a new legacy.....
    edited November 2021
    McDougle said:
    How so, when Resisting Spells "also" prevents getting poisoned from poison spells and, yet, we do have Orange Petals which do that for X time without having Resisting Spells ?

Why then, we can have orange petals for poison but, for curses, it should be a "matter of choices"^

Looks to me some double standards, doesn't it ?
  • popps said:
    McDougle said:
    How so, when Resisting Spells "also" prevents getting poisoned from poison spells and, yet, we do have Orange Petals which do that for X time without having Resisting Spells ?

Why then, we can have orange petals for poison but, for curses, it should be a "matter of choices"^

Looks to me some double standards, doesn't it ?
    Poison interrupts almost all spells including barding masteries, it tiks for damage constantly and does not let you heal (some abilities are excluded, confidence for example) till it's gone.  Curse does... nothing.

You already answered your own request with 'the split second that I remove them, now I no longer bother'.

No double standard, poison by it's design is much more of a hindrance, curse is just a minor inconvenience.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I agree with that @Yui_Zii_Ariya
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “Stone form will make you immune to many curses”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited November 2021
    Yoshi said:
    “Stone form will make you immune to many curses”
    Stone form, though, to be most effective, needs not just 120 Mysticism but, along with it, also 120 Focus... quite an heavy toll in skill points to be not bothered by curses...

At that point, better some Resisting Spells skill points although, depending on the Eval Int and Magic of the MoB casting the curses, chances are, that 120 Resisting Spells to be most effective against them would be needed, ain't it ?

But my argument, was for those Templates with no room for neither Resisting Spells skill points, nor Mysticism and neither Focus.... how could they get given a way to block curses other then having to use tons of Curse Removal charges on a Talisman, or cast the Chivalry Spell Remove Curse non-stop, or eat Enchanted Apples till they explode from being too full of them.....
  • Yui_Zii_AriyaYui_Zii_Ariya Posts: 65
    edited November 2021

popps said:

But my argument, was for those Templates with no room... blah blah
    You want everything on one template.... No!

Curses... are... trivial...

Lock this now... please.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Can I have a petal for Vampiric Embrace... its wasting 100 Necro skill points.

:D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited November 2021
    Accept this for what it is. Popps played a few minutes and got cursed. Now he wants to change the game for his selfish motives as usual 

This contradicts his threads about wanting unused skills to be useful.
    He has finally noticed templates are packed already.

He now wants useful skills to be overridden by eating something. Orange petals only override a spell not a whole skill.

Making choices is one of the reasons UO has lasted so long. We are not copies of each other.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I am sure glad the dev's don't listen to any of this. Imagine how awful the game will become if he gets his own way..........
    Maybe he suggested shard bound when no one was looking? lol
    jk

Curses are trivial.... OK, then, what is the big deal of seeing something in the game that was to work like Orange Petals for Poison ?

That is, rather then merely remove the curses which then MoBs stick again on the template, have it a lasting effect for sometime which would not permit for that time to have the Curses be again put on the character....

So, why not have something in the game to end this mere annoyance ?
    popps said:

Curses are trivial.... OK, then, what is the big deal of seeing something in the game that was to work like Orange Petals for Poison ?

That is, rather then merely remove the curses which then MoBs stick again on the template, have it a lasting effect for sometime which would not permit for that time to have the Curses be again put on the character....

Something like remove curse? Or cleansing winds ? Or resisting spells?? If only there was something...
    edited November 2021
    @popps actually they are trivial for swords users or fencers. They require so little stamina to keep max speed.

They do affect macers but apples work just fine. There is no delay to use another and they cost 200 gold each.
    Also can make them cheap.

Yes curse removal is a spell in multiple magics. 

Move to the next trivial thing that catches your eye when you play 10 more minutes.
    Chivalry remove curse takes 5 skill every human can cast it..
    McDougle said:
    popps said:

Something like remove curse? Or cleansing winds ? Or resisting spells?? If only there was something...
    And "how long" do they last ?

A split second.... then, one gets cursed all over again, and again and again, to the point that, removinf curses with whatever one wants to use, becomes pointless since, the split second that one removes them, one gets cursed back again....

It becomes an annoyance, rinse and repeat all over again....

I cannot see how there may be players enjoying doing the same things all over again, and over and over and over...
    Adjust your stats and accept you're gonna be always cursed..
    Pawain said:
    @ popps actually they are trivial for swords users or fencers. They require so little stamina to keep max speed.

They do affect macers but apples work just fine. There is no delay to use another and they cost 200 gold each.
    Also can make them cheap.

Yes curse removal is a spell in multiple magics. 

Move to the next trivial thing that catches your eye when you play 10 more minutes.
    That's not the point that enchanted apples might be cheap or that a simple spell like remuve curse can remove them....the argument that I am trying to bring up is, the "annoyance" to have to do it over and over and over and over some more because, the split second that one removes curses, they are cast again by some spellcaster among the spawn....

Endlessly.....

How is this fun, having to repeat the same moves over and over and over again ?

Doesn't it get old ?
  • A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited November 2021
    @popps maybe we should Target the mob and the game calculates how many hits it would take to kill it. Then  it just dies so we don't have to do each annoying swing.

• KazKaz Posts: 123
    Since this thread is pretty much a dumpster fire: Ill actually put something useful.  

The most effective way to keep swinging at max spd (Im assuming this is the primary complaint), set your stamina on your build to compensate for the loss that you would receive from a debuff at 120 mage/eval.  
    If the swing spd calculator tells you that you require 35 ssi and 150 stam, run 168 stam on your suit. 
    If you get cursed, you are still good to go. 
     Its generally the way you should do it anyways, as even with resist on your template. you have to wait for the shortened duration of the debuff to play through. 

Happy farming!
  • Time for a lock I think.  Nobody agrees with you Popps.  You are just going o have to find a way, there are plenty of solutions here, but as ALWAYS you don’t listen to advice ams just try to counter everything.  

It must be awful being you 
    Time for a lock I think.  Nobody agrees with you Popps.  You are just going o have to find a way, there are plenty of solutions here, but as ALWAYS you don’t listen to advice ams just try to counter everything.  

Solutions for what ?

Having to eat enchanted apples as if there was no tomorrow, or to have to cast Remove Curse over and over, mindlessly ?

Seriously ?

That is what some people consider as "fun" ?

WOW......
    edited November 2021
    Kaz said:
    Since this thread is pretty much a dumpster fire: Ill actually put something useful.  

The most effective way to keep swinging at max spd (Im assuming this is the primary complaint), set your stamina on your build to compensate for the loss that you would receive from a debuff at 120 mage/eval.  
    If the swing spd calculator tells you that you require 35 ssi and 150 stam, run 168 stam on your suit. 
    If you get cursed, you are still good to go. 
     Its generally the way you should do it anyways, as even with resist on your template. you have to wait for the shortened duration of the debuff to play through. 

Happy farming!
    That is what I am doing....

That's why I said that I no longer bother getting cursed and to remove the curses.... I just "compensated" as you said, and let the curses stay as if they were not there.

Still, I think that there should be a better way.

I do not see why there could or should not be "something" like an eatable, that was to protect from getting cursed (other then the resisting spell) for X time like the orange petals do with poison.

But if there is people who think it as fun to eat enchanted apples a go-go, or having to mindlessly cast the Chivalry spell Remove Curse "non-stop", well, good for them......
    popps said:
    Time for a lock I think.  Nobody agrees with you Popps.  You are just going o have to find a way, there are plenty of solutions here, but as ALWAYS you don’t listen to advice ams just try to counter everything.  

Solutions for what ?

Having to eat enchanted apples as if there was no tomorrow, or to have to cast Remove Curse over and over, mindlessly ?

Seriously ?

That is what some people consider as "fun" ?

WOW......
    @popps I don't think anybody says it is fun to be cursed. 

Perhaps, it may make sense for any remove curse to have an immunity effect say for 10 or 20 secs. 

Meaning when he gets cursed again, he won't feel the effect because he has residual effect from anti-bodies from the anti curse vaccine 

:D

If 100% immunity is not right, then maybe scale to 80 ot 50% over say 10secs or 5 secs period... 

This discussion has been closed.