Is this considered a scam/phishing?

LBalthazarLBalthazar Posts: 1
edited October 2021 in General Discussions
Someone sells a bunch of similar items occasionally adding a few zeroes to those, which are in between. Is it considered fraudulent? Can it be reported?
I'd be grateful if the administration could shed a light on this shady topic. @Mesanna, @Kyronix, @Mariah.

Thanks and be careful!

1. Should it be punishable?23 votes
    1. Yes
      13.04%
    2. No
      78.26%
    3. Punishable in Tram ruleset, Ok in Fel ruleset
        8.70%

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Intentional typo  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Didn't we go through this a few months ago buyer beware 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • No, it shouldn't be punishable because it asks you are you sure you want to pay XXXX for this item before you actually purchase it. The onus to verify that is what you want to pay for it is on you.  now, if i see that on a vendor i will put it on the bulletin board if it has one, and then check back on occasion to see if they respond to my message. if I see it remains and there is no reply I simply mark that vendor off my shopping list. Slow down, read the price and Caveat Emptor.  
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    This would not be a problem if we had a confirmation gump before the sale concludes.  They should make one...
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    This would not be a problem if we had a confirmation gump before the sale concludes.  They should make one...
    I went ahead and mocked up what it could look like, see pic below.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210

OUTSTANDING IDEA

DEVs could you please do this ASAP
    edited October 2021
    The onus is on the buyer to pay attention the developers are busy with my whiny list of demands and have no time for policing people to in a hurry to read..

Ps if they were too in a hurry already another gump will annoy them and they shall click faster...

Without reading..
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Superfrog said:
    Pawain said:

Your mock up would be better if there was separators like a comma (or period depending on the locale) every third number starting from the right. 
    Even if it was wrong (it's not) i find no sorrow in my heart at a trammy sticking it to a red..
    Or he has built in supply and demand.  When the 3.5M ones run out you can buy the 35M ones if you are that desperate.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Sometimes I think the developers make to much of cheating and in general of some players being able to take advantage of others as one of the major selling points of this game.  But in this case the player can clearly see the price that is marked. I see this also some times on individually priced lower priced items a player might click on in a hurry just to get enough of them for the next outing.  If it says 3,500,000 and it rings up on that hard to see interface at 35,000,000 I would consider that cheating but simply marking different prices on the same item is not.  If it is done with the intent of taking advantage of the unwary, well, that’s how UO is played.
    Arnold7 said:
    Sometimes I think the developers make to much of cheating and in general of some players being able to take advantage of others as one of the major selling points of this game.  But in this case the player can clearly see the price that is marked. I see this also some times on individually priced lower priced items a player might click on in a hurry just to get enough of them for the next outing.  If it says 3,500,000 and it rings up on that hard to see interface at 35,000,000 I would consider that cheating but simply marking different prices on the same item is not.  If it is done with the intent of taking advantage of the unwary, well, that’s how UO is played.
    AMEN  Been like that for 24 years and it is so funny when people whine about getting scammed because they did not pay attention.
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    TimSt said:
    Superfrog said:
    Pawain said:

Your mock up would be better if there was separators like a comma (or period depending on the locale) every third number starting from the right. 
    They don't do commas. I'll show myself out.
    They added commas to the trade window. There also was some bug that allowed players to change the gold amount after the other player accepted.

I guess a forward thinking development team would have taken one more step and put commas everywhere.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    There’s a more scammy version of this where they put one item at a reasonable price down and stack another of the same item on top with a similar looking price but way higher so when you go to buy the item you may not realize it’s for a lot more. 

For instance, there’s a vendor on ATL who puts POF for sale for 150,000 and stacks POF on top of it for 150,000,000. If you are not paying attention, you may fall for their scam. It’s awful that it is even possible. Users with EC grid view may fall for this less often since the stack is laid out instead of on top of each other. But still… 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    TimSt said:
    Superfrog said:
    Pawain said:

One problem that I have with that Gump, is the lack of "commas" which make, particularly for those who may have some visual issues, more difficult to "well understand" what the actual price is....

At the very least, the warning Gump should have "commas" every 3 zeros so as to better permit to a player to understand what price they are looking at....
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2021
    popps said:
    TimSt said:
    Superfrog said:
    Pawain said:

One problem that I have with that Gump, is the lack of "commas" which make, particularly for those who may have some visual issues, more difficult to "well understand" what the actual price is....

At the very least, the warning Gump should have "commas" every 3 zeros so as to better permit to a player to understand what price they are looking at....

Until they add comma's, It's still on you to count the zeros. again, slow down, double check your price and Caveat Emptor until the DEVS decide to add commas. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

edited October 2021
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    edited October 2021
    How difficult is it to add commas to a number… this issue has been around for so long and kind of seems like something an intern could fix lol
    dvvid said:
    How difficult is it to add commas to a number… this issue has been around for so long and kind of seems like something an intern could fix lol
    Commas or not it is still NOT a scam and never has been.  Yes I would love to see commas but I still read before saying yes.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Another scam are valiant scrolls of commendation that have already been used.  People who do that should be shot and hanged.

Drago said:
    Another scam are valiant scrolls of commendation that have already been used.  People who do that should be shot and hanged.

Those have the players name who claimed them on the scroll.

Says Claimed by "player name".  
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Thanks I’d not know about that one.
    edited October 2021
    Pawain said:
    Drago said:

Says Claimed by "player name".  
    There are two types one says claimed by the others do not 

https://www.uoguide.com/Scroll_of_Valiant_Commendation
  • DryzzidDryzzid Posts: 80
    Hate to say it but it's a buyer beware type deal. It's shifty as heck to do that to folks but it's also a lesson we all had to learn.
    Mayor of North Harbor Township, Atlantic Shard
    74503058 | Dryzzid#5091
    edited October 2021
     T9McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Drago said:

Says Claime nd by "player name".  
    There are two types one says claimed by the others do not 

https://www.uoguide.com/Scroll_of_Valiant_Commendation
    That link shows the unused ones looking different from the used ones. Not sure what your point is.
    Especially since both unused types mention dbl clk to get the 5 points.

Players buy PBDs  they know they can't use. Some like names as deco.
    edited October 2021
    Seth said:

Ah Huh! After spending some time investigating, the issue is not due to software limitations.

• The bank gold transfer gump has commas

• The character item transfer gump has commas

• The vendor buy has no commas

Caught red-handed!
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     I suspect more often than not what happens is the person stocking simply hits a extra zero unintentionally.  Happens to me when I put up a vendor and mass stock something, While back I put 110 Tritons on a vendor at 12,000,000 per and sold all but 2 and could not figure out why those two would not sell then looked closer at them and I had them priced at 120,000,000. No intent to scam or rip anyone off, just a simple mistake on my part.  Pulled them out put them back in at the correct price and they were gone the next morning. 

If someone had bought them at the 120,000,000 price not much I can do about it, and the burden falls to the buyer to ensure they are paying the correct amount.  You have to click it to buy it and then click to confirm the purchase if you can't tell the difference between 12000000 and 120000000 on the confirmation click or the difference between 12,000,000 and 120,000,000 on in the vendor price then that is on the buyer.  Maybe slow yer clicking down a little bit and make sure the price is correct on each item before clicking it to buy it. And in my case anyway if a price isn't right post it on the bulletin board and let me know so I can correct the price.  I notice no one is complaining when a item on a vendor is mistakenly under priced.
    edited October 2021
    Tyrath said:
     I suspect more often than not what happens is the person stocking simply hits a extra zero unintentionally.  Happens to me when I put up a vendor and mass stock something, While back I put 110 Tritons on a vendor at 12,000,000 per and sold all but 2 and could not figure out why those two would not sell then looked closer at them and I had them priced at 120,000,000. No intent to scam or rip anyone off, just a simple mistake on my part.  Pulled them out put them back in at the correct price and they were gone the next morning. 

If someone had bought them at the 120,000,000 price not much I can do about it, and the burden falls to the buyer to ensure they are paying the correct amount.  You have to click it to buy it and then click to confirm the purchase if you can't tell the difference between 12000000 and 120000000 on the confirmation click or the difference between 12,000,000 and 120,000,000 on in the vendor price then that is on the buyer.  Maybe slow yer clicking down a little bit and make sure the price is correct on each item before clicking it to buy it. And in my case anyway if a price isn't right post it on the bulletin board and let me know so I can correct the price.  I notice no one is complaining when a item on a vendor is mistakenly under priced.

Yes, we have all seen vendors priced wrongly due to typ0.

If they add a zero, we call it a scam.
    If they missed a zero, we call it a steal. (which literally is)

For bulk items, sometimes they forget to enter the price and so the system falls back to the default which is normally very cheap.

The best every developer can and should do is add commas into the system, whereas human errors are unavoidable.

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    edited October 2021
    Seth said:
    Tyrath said:

Yes, we have all seen vendors priced wrongly due to typ0.

If they add a zero, we call it a scam.
    If they missed a zero, we call it a steal. (which literally is)

For bulk items, sometimes they forget to enter the price and so the system falls back to the default which is normally very cheap.

The best every developer can and should do is add commas into the system, whereas human errors are unavoidable.

Don't see where adding commas on the confirmation would make that much difference when folks are fast click buying a lot of the same thing from a vendor.  LOL When I buy out Larisa's stock of Powder I pay little attention to the individual prices and she could probably slip one in for a 100,000,000 and I would not notice, because I DO NOT PAY ATTENTION when buying massive amounts from known and trusted vendors. I do pay a bit more attention on not so well known vendors, but still could easily over pay.  That is on me not the vendor and not the devs.... the numbers are there twice one with commas and one without for me to inspect before the purchase is complete.