Does anyone know how 'multiboxing' is defined by the UO Support Staff?

usernameusername Posts: 690
edited October 2021 in General Discussions
I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing and people slinging around that term constantly (especially now with Hythloth) but I cannot find it anywhere in UO/EA ToS, RoC, etc. how it is defined. I've even asked a bunch of people and no one knows. They clearly define everything else in their RoC. Seems odd. Is it defined by the game somewhere that I am missing?

(I don't want your definition, I want an official link/answer thanks)

For example, Blizzard defines it as:
Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our End User License Agreement. Please note, however, that use of all software or hardware mechanisms used to mirror commands to multiple World of Warcraft accounts at the same time, or to automate or streamline multiboxing in any way may result in account penalties.

Seems like a fairly standard definition. Does UO follow the same definition or different, or do they even define it at all?
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
    edited October 2021
    you can run multiple accts, though it is not supported, however you CANNOT legally have multiple  Sampires running around hitting stuff at the same time all acting on the click of a button, there must be some illegal targeting program running for the multiple accts,  if you have your screen with many small boxes with clients open and the all copy and act the same then thats multi box illegal, if you see multiple chars all on the same tile and following each other and all casting WW EoO etc then there is an illegal program controlling all open clients
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    edited October 2021
    you can run multiple accts, though it is not supported, however you CANNOT legally have multiple  Sampires running around hitting stuff at the same time all acting one the click of a button, there must be some illegal targeting program running for the multiple accts,  so if you have your screen with many small boxes with clients open and the all copy and act the same then thats multi box illegal, so if you see multiple chars all on the same tile and following each other and all casting WW EoO etc then there is an illegal program controlling all open clients
    Thank you but I am not looking for your opinion, although it does seem in line with my thoughts and other game's policies. I am, again, looking for an official statement. Does it exist?

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    username said:
    I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing and people slinging around that term constantly (especially now with Hythloth) but I cannot find it anywhere in UO/EA ToS, RoC, etc. how it is defined. I've even asked a bunch of people and no one knows. They clearly define everything else in their RoC. Seems odd. Is it defined by the game somewhere that I am missing?

Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our End User License Agreement. Please note, however, that use of all software or hardware mechanisms used to mirror commands to multiple World of Warcraft accounts at the same time, or to automate or streamline multiboxing in any way may result in account penalties.

Seems like a fairly standard definition. Does UO follow the same definition or different, or do they even define it at all?

I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing......

@username ;

What do you mean by "I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing " ?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    popps said:
    username said:

I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing......

@ username 

What do you mean by "I see a bunch of people getting banned for multiboxing " ?
    Do you not read and understand the News Letters that UO sends you?
    Multi-Clienting   Running more than 1 client and controlling each separately, switching from one client to another.
    Multi-Boxing controlling all clients at the same time using an illegal program.  No switching of clients needed.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Controlling more than 1 toon with a single click is multiboxing.

But why ask here when you say you don't want our opinions?

Read the ToS yourself...
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Maybe the OP is confused and thinks that Blizzard owns UO and that their rules/opinion matters
    Maybe the OP is confused and thinks that Blizzard owns UO and that their rules/opinion matters
    what

edited October 2021
    Pawain said:

Read the ToS yourself...
    you read, it's not in the tos, thats like... the point of this post?

• it's in the EA tos , albeit subtlety here. Although it doesn't "define" their definition of Multiboxing, it lays out that you cannot use cheat software.  may want to Tag the devs it it doesn't satisfy you.
    username said:
    Pawain said:

Read the ToS yourself...
    I answered your question in the title.

It is cheating:
    Engage or assist in cheating or other anticompetitive behavior (such as boosting, collusion, and match or matchmaking manipulation).

I don't know what boosting is.  Something to do with internet speed?

Not sure exactly what the rest are either.

• Multiboxing 100% uses a 3rd party program and in most cases they are fully scripted.  Those that claim 'ahh, but its just replicating my key clicks' which is bullsh*t, is still using a 3rd party program to do it.
    The term 'multiboxing' does not have to be stated implicitly, the means by which multiboxing is achieved is wrapped up in the rules...

"UO Rules of Conduct

23. You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Broadsword Online Games to be used with the Service. Information about approved software can be found here."

"UO Terms of Service

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others – for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts."

If all else fails, they can can just pull...

"(e) Conduct and Communication. You, and anyone you authorize to use your Account and User ID on the Service, agree to follow the Rules of Conduct published by Electronic Arts. The Rules of Conduct may be found on the Web Site. The Rules of Conduct may change at Electronic Arts discretion, at any time. Electronic Arts reserves the right to terminate your Membership if it determines in its sole discretion that you have engaged in any impermissible conduct whether or not such conduct violates the Rules of Conduct. You acknowledge, however, that Electronic Arts does not pre-screen Content or communication over the Service."
    username said:
    what
    Did I use to big of words,  Blizzard does not own UO so who cares what rules WoW uses.  UO is owned by EA so we go by EA's rules.  Is that clear enough.
    edited October 2021
    So to put it in plain speak no you may not cheat and we have the right to boot your butt if we want to and there is zero you can do about it.   :#
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2021
    username said:
    IFor example, Blizzard defines it as:

Multiboxing is referring to the same thing in bold above.

Use of software or hardware to mirror commands.

I have reported one guy controlling 10 toons cast same spell same time and kill a monster in one second. My warrior just stood there blinking.

Someone probably invented the term long ago.

@Mariah ;
    Maybe the wiki needs a Glossary of terms? Just a suggestion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
    edited October 2021
    If you don’t want our opinions why did you post here ?

obviously you have to email mesanna don’t you 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    username said:
    Pawain said:

Read the ToS yourself...
    I answered your question in the title.

It is cheating:
    Engage or assist in cheating or other anticompetitive behavior (such as boosting, collusion, and match or matchmaking manipulation).

I don't know what boosting is.  Something to do with internet speed?

Not sure exactly what the rest are either.

Perhaps "boosting " is to indicate the "speed hack " which permits to a character to run faster as others (it seems to be quite an issue in PvP, I understand...) ?
  • I believe "Boosting" refers mostly to FiFa and is meant as using a third party site to advance your team. although that could apply to any game where you pay someone to level, skill, Train, etc. your team, toon, character, etc.  
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    Multiboxing 100% uses a 3rd party program and in most cases they are fully scripted.  Those that claim 'ahh, but its just replicating my key clicks' which is bullsh*t, is still using a 3rd party program to do it.
    The term 'multiboxing' does not have to be stated implicitly, the means by which multiboxing is achieved is wrapped up in the rules...

"UO Rules of Conduct

23. You will not create, use, play on or provide any server emulator or other service where Ultima Online may be played. You will not post, use or distribute any utilities, applications, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online that do not have the express written permission of Broadsword Online Games to be used with the Service. Information about approved software can be found here."

"UO Terms of Service

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others – for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts."

If all else fails, they can can just pull...

"(e) Conduct and Communication. You, and anyone you authorize to use your Account and User ID on the Service, agree to follow the Rules of Conduct published by Electronic Arts. The Rules of Conduct may be found on the Web Site. The Rules of Conduct may change at Electronic Arts discretion, at any time. Electronic Arts reserves the right to terminate your Membership if it determines in its sole discretion that you have engaged in any impermissible conduct whether or not such conduct violates the Rules of Conduct. You acknowledge, however, that Electronic Arts does not pre-screen Content or communication over the Service."
    This is a pretty solid answer to the question.

The only footnote to the OP question I guess would be how are these rules enforced? This is 100% speculation of course, but I have heard (again who knows if these are true) of people saying that they had their account banned for "multiboxing" when they were actually multi-clienting. I don't use EC but it seems like a more robust macro could be setup to loop for a while so while you aren't using 3rd party programs or technically "multiboxing" it could seem like you are; if you were banned for that how would you prove otherwise?
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I think you are more likely to be accused of multiboxing while using the follow feature in CC endless macros in EC don't make it look like 2 or more moving as one
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002 said:

The only footnote to the OP question I guess would be how are these rules enforced? This is 100% speculation of course, but I have heard (again who knows if these are true) of people saying that they had their account banned for "multiboxing" when they were actually multi-clienting. I don't use EC but it seems like a more robust macro could be setup to loop for a while so while you aren't using 3rd party programs or technically "multiboxing" it could seem like you are; if you were banned for that how would you prove otherwise?
    Proving you didn't is unfortunately impossible unless you were live streaming or something similar and could present video evidence.

I would like to hope that GMs are savvy enough to be able to spot a very obvious muliboxer that is most likely perfectly stacked and moving/attacking/casting in perfect sync.  They could spend 2 minutes watching to ascertain this.
    I'd also hope they could tell when someone is on auto-follow which invariably will always lag behind by at least 1 tile so there will be a clear delay in the 2nd client moving into position and attacking/casting.

In reality, it seems they can't do this and blatantly obvious multiboxing goes on 24/7. :|
  • Blizzard's definition seems to mirror my own understanding of the concept, and the understanding of most players I've conversed with where the topic's come up.

To my knowledge the UO team hasn't propagated their own definition. In the past there've been statements that made me worry they were confusing multi-boxing with multi-clienting. But since they're banning for multi-boxing now they must've developed some definition that differentiates between them.
    edited November 2021
    Blizzard's definition seems to mirror my own understanding of the concept, and the understanding of most players I've conversed with where the topic's come up.

To my knowledge the UO team hasn't propagated their own definition. In the past there've been statements that made me worry they were confusing multi-boxing with multi-clienting. But since they're banning for multi-boxing now they must've developed some definition that differentiates between them.
    Just found this, so it originally mean multi client  as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-boxing

But if I can manually control each 4 clients on 4 computers with my 2 hands and 2 feet... is legal... :D
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    One minute for a developer to post a link....one minute
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    The wiki says:

Overall, Multiboxing can be considered a play style choice. Many people find the additional strategy of multiboxing to be very challenging and, with those additional efforts, very rewarding. Rather than require the collaboration and cooperation of multiple human players, people who multibox instead rely upon themselves to control multiple game characters and utilize their own abilities as a replacement for human cooperation.

---
    Actually, they do need to state the type of multiboxing that is allowed.

Using a single command to control multi characters is illegal.

Manually control multiple accounts if you can manage is ok. For example I manually controlled 2 accounts using a mouse and a game pad on 2 computers. Anyway they can't fault me because it's almost as good as 2 person playing. Indeed it's very hard to control.
    Just got another monitor.

I'm ready to kill!

Gonna use my sloth like reflexes to win UO!
    Pawain said:

I'm ready to kill!

My dream setup, one day I will train my right foot for the 3rd computer  :D
  • Pawain said:

I'm ready to kill!

and you play it in 2d!  get the EC dammit!

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    For a cheaper solution, asus makes $99 portable monitors, and are usb 3.0 powered. Since CC doesnt really use the graphics card, these work perfect for me. Stands start at $8, and an external powered 3.0 hub is $19.
    So in some cases, get that entire setup for the price of 1 monitor.