Trade Window Scams

InLorInLor Posts: 354
Players are being scammed for 100s of millions in gold, not because they don't pay attention, but because the Enhanced Client allows for instant unaccepting-swapping sum-accepting. So even a player who carefully reads the sum, has the buyer accept first, reads the sum again, then proceeds to accept and everything is order, can be duped because the buyer can swap it in an instant. Pinco confirmed this can even be automated, executed with a single click. This means the buyer can don this a fraction of a second before the seller clicks accept, at the point of no return. A scam very close to exploit territory.

I've tested this running both clients, and the EC has a bizarre advantage. On the CC you can't select the full sum, delete it instantly, or replace it instantly. On the EC you can, so on the CC's side all you see, if you're lucky to catch it, is a flash of the tick box. The sum usually missing only one zero, you will barely notice or not at all as you're about to hit accept, since your buyer put in the correct sum and already accepted.

The whole trade window design is a recipe for a cat and mouse game and is in dire need of a fix. I also think with this design, players deserve reimbursement from BS. I was messaged by a GM that it's a breach of trust, but it hardly is. One cannot expect players to play some cat and mouse game while trading. It's one thing to be scammed, because someone put in a sum and you didn't pay attention. That's foolish and your own fault. It's a whole other thing when the other player can instantly swap up the sum, making it possible to time it right before they guess you'll click, making it impossible to defend against. 

Of course if you do know about how this works, know that even if you see the correct sum and your buyer has accepted, they can swap out any time before you hit accept.
A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.

Comments

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited May 2018
    InLor said:
    (...) It's one thing to be scammed, because someone put in a sum and you didn't pay attention. That's foolish and your own fault. (...)
    I don't agree. IMO, a scammer is a scammer in ANY case: blaming the victim is to be morally accomplice with the scammer at best.

• InLorInLor Posts: 354
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time some level of consciousness should be expected in a trade. However, let's not distract from this discussion that even players who pay attention can be duped in a way that they can be expect to detect.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    InLor said:
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time some level of consciousness should be expected in a trade. However, let's not distract from this discussion that even players who pay attention can be duped in a way that they can be expect to detect.
    On this I totally agree... ;)
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    Correction: I meant to say that even players who pay attention can't be expected to detect, since the sum can be swapped out instantly right before they hit accept.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    I don't understand why they don't just raise the cap price on vendors, so things can be sold for more then 175M.  This would resolve this dumb issue.