where to start with the new dynamic content...

DcBarnumDcBarnum Posts: 15
edited October 2021 in General Discussions
I consider myself very new compared to others who have played the game for 24 years now, but I have formulated my own opinions of the game thus far. 

While when I first started the game a few years back, Halloween was something to come and celebrate. TOT, NEW dynamic content, Caddelite infused items. this was a 1-2 month 1 off event. Now I feel we are forced/little option for much else. 24/7 dynamic content farming. The new "legacy shard" has taken 95% of the dev times focus and left the rest of the game on a broken record status.

before the rinse and repeat of the dynamic content, everyday felt like the world was my oyster, Fishin? treasure hunting? champ spawns? PVP, roleplay, you name it, but now I feel if i'm not in the dungeon every moment I am on, then how will I every keep up with the items that are released or the deco that is collected, I either need hours of game play or 100 millions of gold. I get there are many game styles and ways to play the game but with what we are being fed what other options are really VIABLE? 150 points for one of the best bone chest in game ( for one example). I had fun with these events the first 2-3 we had but now? please take the game out of neutral and move forward with prodo shards, please do not dedicate 100% effort to what a few want to happen.

DcBarnum

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    First you need a handsome Bard to keep you alive 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • it cut my message as I went to send, New to the forums and figuring out its quirks. Thank you Pawain
    Yup only the first paragraph was there when I responded.

I am not going to go into the seasonal debate.  Many populated games have Seasons, maybe that is why they are populated.  Things are always fresh for new and old players with those.

So, you are complaining that our hack and slash game has too many new things to hack and slash so you do not have time to do it all? Because there are too many rewards?

We have been in rerun mode since 1997 we build our toons and hack and slash stuff. Some mobs have been added and we hack and slash them also.

Guess what in 10 years if we and UO are still around, we will be hacking and slashing stuff to get rewards.

Lets not encourage the devs to slow content down.
    DC is very experienced and effective with his sampire (i mean Anon carries him a lot but you know) so this not just someone who isn't doing well basically we're shoehorned into spending every minute which kind makes it not such a sandbox 
  • looploop Posts: 301
    DcBarnum said:
    I consider myself very new compared to others who have played the game for 24 years now, but I have formulated my own opinions of the game thus far. 

While when I first started the game a few years back, Halloween was something to come and celebrate. TOT, NEW dynamic content, Caddelite infused items. this was a 1-2 month 1 off event. Now I feel we are forced/little option for much else. 24/7 dynamic content farming. The new "legacy shard" has taken 95% of the dev times focus and left the rest of the game on a broken record status.

before the rinse and repeat of the dynamic content, everyday felt like the world was my oyster, Fishin? treasure hunting? champ spawns? PVP, roleplay, you name it, but now I feel if i'm not in the dungeon every moment I am on, then how will I every keep up with the items that are released or the deco that is collected, I either need hours of game play or 100 millions of gold. I get there are many game styles and ways to play the game but with what we are being fed what other options are really VIABLE? 150 points for one of the best bone chest in game ( for one example). I had fun with these events the first 2-3 we had but now? please take the game out of neutral and move forward with prodo shards, please do not dedicate 100% effort to what a few want to happen.

DcBarnum

The dynamic Treasures events don't take away from other content. You can still treasure hunt, do champ spawns, etc.

You should only participate in the Treasures event--or any event, for that matter--to the extent you find it fun and rewarding. Do you really need the 150 point bone armor? What are the items you actually want? Does the content allow you to fulfill other goals--skilling up your template, getting paragon chests, etc.?

I don't disagree with you about the fundamental aspects of the Treasures gameplay loop and the quarterly re-skinning of things, but you're still free to do as you want and set your own goals.
  • McDougle hit it on the head. The sandbox style has been takin out of the game play, TRUST ME I am a hack n slash kinda player!! You can catch me in my favorite dungeon every day I play getting my PS. I just like a little diversity and being able to choose what to do that day instead of being in the rat race for drops in an area that is .2% the size of the entire realm. 

*caughs into hand and looks down*  just a voice of frustration from a player with and 30 minutes to play and cant make up his darn mind!! 
    So the devs are making too much content.  Amazing they can do that with limited time on the prodo shards. Just think how much more there would be if they didn't spend all their time on the NL shard.

Lucky they are distracted or we would have too, too much new content.
  • DcBarnumDcBarnum Posts: 15
    edited October 2021
    That does make sense for the people who have played the game for 20 years, are sick of what is "old" and do see this as new. I am still exploring and feel all my time is being pulled in one direction month to month.

from my point of view its regurgitated dungeon to dungeon to make us seem like there is "new" content, While the drops are mind blowing. what will happen when we reach the final dungeon? start over? We will wait and see.

I do thank you for your response Pawain, nice to get multiple points of view on a topic.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "I am also fatigued of these events, thankfully i have now already afk farmed enough to get what i wanted"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited October 2021
    IMO this is the fault of the players that wanted ToT brought back.  They did it and the devs saw that players like turn in events. So, they made a system so they can have them many times a year.  Otherwise they would have made the events like the Anniversary Arc.  Many complained about the different parts, where crafting and other game play was needed.  they just wanted the hack and slash get reward.

The old cycle was, play UO Oct to January.  Then many players just disappeared until next October. If you are on a non Atlantic shard you saw this and it made a huge difference in the daily game population.

The 20th anniversary started an event in the spring that lasts thru summer.  It was very popular.

They wanted to keep players logging in year round not just for Spring and Winter.

Now they have Dynamic Dungeons, Spawns, and Quests.  They can do these year round. And they put items in that make players who want to just play spring and fall see that they are missing something.

I hate the way they recycled this dungeons rewards.
  • looploop Posts: 301
    edited October 2021
    DcBarnum said:
    McDougle hit it on the head. The sandbox style has been takin out of the game play, TRUST ME I am a hack n slash kinda player!! You can catch me in my favorite dungeon every day I play getting my PS. I just like a little diversity and being able to choose what to do that day instead of being in the rat race for drops in an area that is .2% the size of the entire realm. 

*caughs into hand and looks down*  just a voice of frustration from a player with and 30 minutes to play and cant make up his darn mind!! 

I mean, you can still choose to do what you want. It's more a matter of perception that during the event the most optimal use of your time is to participate in it, regardless of whether you find it mind-numbing or how you feel about the rewards. The fact that the event extends a full two months gives you plenty opportunity to drop in or out as you wish.

I guess I just find it hard to square the different perspectives we've seen with each of these Treasure events: "X item is worthless and not worth any amount of effort." "X item is worth the effort but the cost is too high". "The gameplay loop is mind-numbing and grindy, but I still stuck with it for tens of hours." "We don't get enough content." "There's too much going on."

There's no question that the fundamental gameplay loop is pretty lame, but when these events bring out a slew of activity and people are willing to participate for many hours, how could the devs not interpret the events as anything but successful, flaws notwithstanding?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I don’t know that they can do anything else.  At least you get to pick what you want instead of a random piece of crap you can’t even give away.  Getting tired of these kinds of events but at least you have a good chance of getting something good if you keep at it.
    Arnold7 said:
    I don’t know that they can do anything else.  At least you get to pick what you want instead of a random piece of crap you can’t even give away.  Getting tired of these kinds of events but at least you have a good chance of getting something good if you keep at it.
    Longer ongoing larger areas with a broad level of difficulty with more risk =more rewards 
    Tie in stuff for everyone add the rewards to black market.havd the of drops instead of cargo. chance of fishing it up with paragon Krakens who wreck your ship. bods you can fill for drops i can go on and on...wouldn't named skeletons maybe have a drop ..
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Pawain said:
    So the devs are making too much content.  Amazing they can do that with limited time on the prodo shards. Just think how much more there would be if they didn't spend all their time on the NL shard.

Lucky they are distracted or we would have too, too much new content.

Same content over and over just different skins and a different dungeon and moderately different rewards.  It is what it is. I will get what I want out of it and forget about it until the next rinse and repeat and one or two reskinned things I might want from it.  Ultimately the dynamic events are just endless repeating dead end content.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2021
    For the records, bringing back old rewards - please do not complain. 

Do not forget, they are shard bound. Many players played all-year round by hopping shards for EM Events and we cannot bring gears that are shard bound. Given 100 to 150 points for such items and only one or two month, we may not have enough time to do this for every shard we played. 

I have friends who joined me in my shard asking for the Epaulette but sorry man, its shard bound and we don't keep stocks worth 100 points here. Even if we have, it cost Platinum.

Everyone has their playstyle, you can add more ideas, but don't ask to remove something just because YOU don't need or don't play the way they intended. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs