A question for the dev team

gaygay Posts: 358
edited September 2021 in General Discussions
Would there ever be the possibility of our Dev team reaching out and opening a line of communication with third party client developers? As a classic client user who knows full well that our developers have little to no intention nor desire to update or even fix the problems of our antiquated client, be it the restraints of time or scheduling or whatever. There is some very top end talent out there who has taken the initiative to develop a modernized client for the classic client files, in a way many of us had hoped the EC would have looked like when it was released.

I intimately understand the problems that are associated with these clients and their respective loaders in the form of scripting and automation. But the functions that those clients utilize can be filtered with the development of a handshake protocol (negotiations feature) that already exists and is implemented on the (and don't ban me now) free servers.

I believe if our development team were able to sit down with devs of say **** or the **** client that together they could work on something of this degree that could only be beneficial for the rest of the game, imagine reaching an agreement that opens the rest of the game up to a legal third party client that not only looks absolutely stunning, but also finally being able to properly police and regulate certain scripted and automative features that should be left on the (again I'm gonna say the words and please don't ban me lol) free servers that desire to use them.

Comments

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Assuming Broadsword was willing it most likely would never fly with EA.
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    I'm uncertain that EA would have any input at all regarding it. EA may own the rights, but Broadsword is in charge of maintaining and developing the game, and outsourcing certain development isn't something EA would concern itself with, if they were meant to be that hands on with their games, they wouldn't have other companies developing the games they own. But then again I might be completely wrong.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    EA would never give up its right to keep its foot on UO/DAoC's throat, never I say.
  • RoxoRoxo Posts: 32
    Or if it is possible to get UO Assist up to par with its competitors, that would be a huge step toward improving quality of life. 
    edited September 2021
    When UOAssist first came out it was well beyond what is out in 3rd party and EA made Tug dump it down, think of ***** what is the program that allows unending repeat/macros up the butt.

Just allow us to use 3rd party UIs and Assists programs as long as we are there, no multibox or AFK auto programs.  We are getting old and slow, we need help.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    edited September 2021
    When UOAssist first came out it was well beyond what is out in 3rd party and EA made Tug dump it down, think of ****/what is the program that allows unending repeat/macros up the butt.

Just allow us to use 3rd party UIs and Assists programs as long as we are there, no multibox or AFK auto programs.  We are getting old and slow, we need help.
    They gave you EC 

Are you not entertained..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited September 2021
    Ideally yes UOassist should be up on par with the other illegal clients out there, but I just don't see Bleak working on that, he can barely set up a video cam and good audio working for a live dev meet. 

What I think about all these illegal clients is Mesanna and her team is so small, and they have little time to work on upgrading UOassist, they can't also just ban all these clients because the subscriptions would drop so much because players got used to them, that EA could possibly just shut down the game if it was to reach a critical state and Mesanna must be scared of that. She says in one live dev meeting that there always going to have players that need to cheat to have the win and nothing can be done, and that she trying to make everything 'fair' for everyone so these client do not give too much of an advantage, but honestly I haven't seen a single change ever on handling these clients, so what are they trying? I think they have no clue of the actual advantages these clients offer.

Here's the exact part in the live meeting (1hour 11min 35 sec mark) where Mesanna talks about illegal clients, I hardly believe that nothing can be done, every action you perform ingame on any client, send out packets information with an official signature where only UOassist and OSI are legally authorized, it should be rather easy to detect if someone is performing actions or logging in from an illegal client.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Hi I'm the hard nosed dic Sieth from Komona we've never met because I work and live in the shadows.. Now the no good fiends who  make these devil programs are in bed with the lowdown RMT traders . I no some of you think the dev must be in bed with these jokers as well or why else would they go on....

But I've already said to much if you want the truth look for me in the 3rd dark alley behind Brit bank...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    My guess is that UO has a declining player base that makes it not financially responsible to invest more money into advancing the game.  I think that is just the way it is.  Maybe it is different on Atlantic.  
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322

gay said:
    But the functions that those clients utilize can be filtered with the development of a handshake protocol (negotiations feature) that already exists

"Everyone already logs in with unofficial client with ALL functions fully enabled, i am the only one in my guild using official client. All the opposition videos on youtube also openly do not use official client.
    Contrary to the official line, they don't and have never banned anyone for using the unofficial client, or else i would be playing alone vs nobody. "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    McDougle said:
    When UOAssist first came out it was well beyond what is out in 3rd party and EA made Tug dump it down, think of ECUI/razor/what is the program that allows unending repeat/macros up the butt.

They gave you EC 

Are you not entertained..
    Along with the fuggly display no ty  Give me ECUI with CC display
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited September 2021
    This is not the forum to discuss unofficial clients. Whether Broadsword could, or would, liaise with the makers of those clients is not something they could, or would, reveal here.

The only authorised add on for CC is uoassist, which belongs, not to Broadsword or EA but to Tugsoft. Broadsword cannot work on it.

However a number of functions from uoassist have been added to the client over recent years.

Now before this descends into the usual gutter of 'client wars' or 'slag the devs' I'm locking it.

Following a post report, all names of illicit programs has been removed, in acccordance with rule 9 of the Terms of Service
This discussion has been closed.