Books Written in EC Are Not Legible in CC

KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
Issue
The CC does not properly wrap text in books when the book was written in the EC. This makes most books written in the EC unable to be read by anyone in the CC, unless the EC user enters manual line breaks when writing it. This can also ruin existing books that were made in the CC if they are edited in the EC.

The reverse is not true, however. A book written in the CC is perfectly legible in the EC.

Written in EC / Viewed in EC

Written in EC / Viewed in CC

Written in CC / Viewed in CC

Written in CC / Viewed in EC

Steps To Reproduce
  1. In EC, open a book and type out a long line of text.
  2. Observe it wrapping correctly in the EC
  3. Open the book in the CC
  4. Observe the text does not wrap properly
Expected Result
A book written in the EC should be able to be viewed properly in the CC.

Proposed Solution
Get rid of the new EC book gump, and give them the same gump as the CC. The stylized parchment/book look is much nicer in my opinion, and would eliminate the discrepancy in the size of the edit fields in each client.
https://www.uo-cah.com
Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

Comments

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited April 2018
    Khyro said:

(...)

Proposed Solution
    Get rid of the new EC book gump, and give them the same gump as the CC. The stylized parchment/book look is much nicer in my opinion, and would eliminate the discrepancy in the size of the edit fields in each client.
    Agreed! The "window-mode" visualization of Books in the EC is, IMO, simply ugly.

• AQHFAQHF Posts: 47
    It would be awesome if this could be fixed! I don't know how many guest books I ruined before I found out about this bug.
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    Agreed with solution.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited April 2018
    That would be the simplest fix, I think.

Better though, would be to properly fix the word wrap and new page properties. Also, something that I enjoy about EC books is that the title can be MUCH longer than CC. Removing the gump entirely would possibly (probably) also lose that. I would rather see a "legacy'' option in settings, like for container art, where we could switch back and forth.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    Tanager said:
    That would be the simplest fix, I think.

Better though, would be to properly fix the word wrap and new page properties. Also, something that I enjoy about EC books is that the title can be MUCH longer than CC. Removing the gump entirely would possibly (probably) also lose that. I would rather see a "legacy'' option in settings, like for container art, where we could switch back and forth.
    I agree. I had thought of that after submitting the bug. Any book written in the EC with long text would become unreadable if they swapped out the book gump to the CC one as-is.

Word wrapping the text in CC would help, but you still run into the issue where the EC has a much bigger edit field than CC users, which can make the pages too long to read.

Maybe they can make the book text a scroll field in the CC gump and fix wrapping, so super long book pages written in the EC can just be scrolled in the CC.

Seems like it's becoming a complex fix for something so simple. I think the EC book gump was poorly thought out when first implemented, or they never thought of cross-client compatibility.

https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited April 2018
    EC book window does word wrap, just not the same as CC. Perhaps just make the entire window smaller? Then it would word wrap within the CC frame, and turn page also? Or increase the font size, so a single line of text is equal to that of CC.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    edited April 2018
    Khyro said:

Proposed Solution
    I don't write any books but this looks like the easiest fix. Just put the CC books into the EC. Job done.