Just came back to game, paid for monthly, placed a house & one of my items just disappears on me

After 8 years away, I just placed a house earlier today and I took off my Lieutenant of the Britannian Royal Guard Body Sash (Replica) and put it in a bag in the house to transfer to another character and its gone.

I've tried logging in and out several time over all of my characters and checking the house repeatedly with no success.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    First check the house's moving crate if not there then page a GM.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Is the bag gone or just the sash inside of it?  Was the bag locked down?  More detailed info is required.
  • DeathBringerDeathBringer Posts: 130
    edited August 2021
    What the fuck!

First, I did page a GM.

Second, the bag it was inside as well the other things within the bag are gone too.

The bag was locked down and secure I had been using it (and others) for hours today.

AND NOW... I just watched multiple bags with relics just go poof... !?!?!?!?! hours later after I had gone dungeoning with friends. They literally disappeared in front of my face after I got back to my house.

I just came back to the game after 8 years and wtf is this?????
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    edited August 2021
    Are you customising the house?
    Were the bags on the front steps?
    have you placed walls, sorry where the bags were locked down? If so when you commit to house design the items that class with walls etc will be in the crate

Double click house sign go to storage and see if removal crate has anything in it. I wonder if the bags are in there

Locked down items and containers don’t  just disappear 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited August 2021
    Do you have a co-owner?  Did the co-owner lock down the bag or did you?  If you have a co-owner and they locked the containers down they can click on the bag and have it go into their backpack from anywhere in the house and do it while hidden so to you it would look like the bag just disappeared.  Just throwing things out there.  Also as the owner you can do the same thing no matter who locks a container down.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    There is no bug that would cause this.  This board would blow up with posts if one appeared.
    I can think of four causes.
    1. the containers weren't locked down. Normal decay time for items is 3 hours.
    2. Someone who has access to the house released the items, allowing them to decay
    3. You entered custom mode on the house and the bags were thrown into the removal crate
    4. Accidental use of the 'relocate container' option on the container's context menu.

• 1. I know I meticulously went through my items and secured them. Created a macro for saying it on an easy to reach hotkey. I mean, I guess somehow it failed to secure? I don't have that much stuff.. much less now.

2. All items are owner only. I am only owner.

3. Never moved them.

4. Never moved them.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2021
    "What was the macro...?
    for saying "it": please specify the text inputed in the macro
    please specify what client you are using. EG: Enhanced/Classic/removed by Mariah
    please specify if after securing you received a message confirming the security setting and which security setting you chose EG, owner/co-owner/friends/guild/anyone
    (also intrigued about where these multiple bags of relics have come from in less than 24 hours)"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • MrNiceMrNice Posts: 29
    Yeah, sounds like the security setting on the bag was set to Everyone. 
  • DeathBringerDeathBringer Posts: 130
    edited August 2021
    Yoshi said:
    "What was the macro...?
    for saying "it": please specify the text inputed in the macro
    please specify what client you are using. EG: Enhanced/Classic/removed by Mariah
    please specify if after securing you received a message confirming the security setting and which security setting you chose EG, owner/co-owner/friends/guild/anyone
    (also intrigued about where these multiple bags of relics have come from in less than 24 hours)"
    So fishy that an account from 1997 doesn't know how to lockdown, secure and have possession of relics!

Come on dude...

I'm literally in the guide that was sold alongside the game when it came out.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
       :D
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    edited August 2021
    1. I know I meticulously went through my items and secured them. Created a macro for saying it on an easy to reach hotkey. I mean, I guess somehow it failed to secure? I don't have that much stuff.. much less now.

2. All items are owner only. I am only owner.

3. Never moved them.

4. Never moved them.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to accidentally unsecure / no longer lock down an item.  Especially when you're decorating new house... When I came back I accidentally did it to one of my soulstones that had 120 skill stored in there..... the lockdown messages get spammed and overlap (either client) and boom.

Use the object handler (CTRL + SHIFT) and apply a filter to it so it only shows objects that you filter.  i.e. - backpack, bag, pouch etc.   sometimes stuff gets stacked over other items in house and you can't see them from isometric view.

how big is the house? did you reach the storage limit? If you tried securing container that brings you  over max storage it doesn't get locked down nor secured.

• KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    Hey DB.

A lot has changed since '97...

As you know, containers don't go poof unless there are the following conditions (all game mechanics)
    1 - decay (but yours are LDS, so onward...)
    2 - fell through floor - this has happened to me a few times on the ground level of an improper house (grandfathered) - especially on stairs (interior and exterior). Only a GM can find/raise/return the container for you. I doubt you have an improper house (as stated in OP), but this -is- an instance of "disappearing items"
    3 - IF your bags fell through the floor - it could be due to uneven terrain below the floor (rock, twig, etc). Again only a GM can help you get it. (to check, use the "show all names" keystroke, you should be able to see the handle of the bag under the floor)
    4 - house bug - possibility of old-skool items going poof in a LDS container due to the "bye bye list" that came about for IDOCS. This is highly doubtful... but that would depend on your relics, house condition (refresh time?), and possibly some other unknown with respect to houses. Because of this list, I have items stored in my banks... and there they will live until the servers are unplugged.

I know you're upset (I sure would be... particularly if I would lose my Napa birth items and some whispering roses). People wanna help you... please breathe, and let us know which client you're using... 
    “So you’re not going to disclose the text you used or the client? Because there are 2 phrases”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Yoshi said:
    “So you’re not going to disclose the text you used or the client? Because there are 2 phrases”
    If I had claimed that everything in my house disappeared then there would obviously be something wrong with the phrase... the first sign being that there would be no item selection target.

But since that is not the case I clearly am using the right phrase and your insistence that I tell you what phrase I used is weird.
  • Kirthag said:
    Hey DB.

A lot has changed since '97...

As you know, containers don't go poof unless there are the following conditions (all game mechanics)
    1 - decay (but yours are LDS, so onward...)
    2 - fell through floor - this has happened to me a few times on the ground level of an improper house (grandfathered) - especially on stairs (interior and exterior). Only a GM can find/raise/return the container for you. I doubt you have an improper house (as stated in OP), but this -is- an instance of "disappearing items"
    3 - IF your bags fell through the floor - it could be due to uneven terrain below the floor (rock, twig, etc). Again only a GM can help you get it. (to check, use the "show all names" keystroke, you should be able to see the handle of the bag under the floor)
    4 - house bug - possibility of old-skool items going poof in a LDS container due to the "bye bye list" that came about for IDOCS. This is highly doubtful... but that would depend on your relics, house condition (refresh time?), and possibly some other unknown with respect to houses. Because of this list, I have items stored in my banks... and there they will live until the servers are unplugged.

I know you're upset (I sure would be... particularly if I would lose my Napa birth items and some whispering roses). People wanna help you... please breathe, and let us know which client you're using... 
    Thanks for the reply.

I checked the house thoroughly including methods to see under the house and even checked the moving crate situation. There is no uneven terrain under the house.

There were not really any old school items. Just mostly bags I had placed some of my artifacts and event rewards/tickets in.

I've never been an IDOCer. These were all items that I had earned through normal gameplay years ago.

Really depressing that they have disappeared.

Only solution, if its not a game bug, is that I somehow only managed to not lockdown my most valuable items...

How I would make such a mistake is beyond me since I've got extensive experience playing this game and using the housing features.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have seen this happen at my friend Joyce's keep 
    on the roof. (it was reported in game and I just got the generic reply about not replacing lost or stolen objects) This was a few years ago.

no matter what we put in that location on her roof, it would poof.
    The potted plants (Easter gift) were locked down but would disapper after 5 mins.
    Needless to say, we ended up moving her from that location.
    (the grassy area east of Minoc on Sonoma)
    edited August 2021
    "was this on one of the upper floors? if so, what items were locked down directly underneath, you have been back less than one day and so much has dissapeared, it sounded to me like everything was gone.
    so did you use the phrase:
    i wish to secure this,
    or the phrase, i wish to lock this down

I'm not sure why you're hiding so much information, you refuse to disclose the client you're using"
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    He is using the client he made after he wrote the guide.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have seen this happen at my friend Joyce's keep 
    on the roof. (it was reported in game and I just got the generic reply about not replacing lost or stolen objects) This was a few years ago.

no matter what we put in that location on her roof, it would poof.
    The potted plants (Easter gift) were locked down but would disapper after 5 mins.
    Needless to say, we ended up moving her from that location.
    (the grassy area east of Minoc on Sonoma)
    I've seen other threads saying similar things.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited August 2021
    Come to think of it, it is very scary that everything in the game will be gone once there is zero sub. 20 over years of legacy can go POOF instantly. The server reverts to a clean installation, as if UO is wiped out like the NLS concept. 

Long time ago, decaying makes sense because of huge population and server lag. Times have changed alot and rapidly...

Can we have the ability to turn on or off display in the house?
    @Kyronix @Bleak

Maybe the next annual reward can have a magic potion when applied to our house sign, it will magically create a new decay ON/OFF switch. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541

I've never been an IDOCer. These were all items that I had earned through normal gameplay years ago.
    ~~~~~
    How I would make such a mistake is beyond me since I've got extensive experience playing this game and using the housing features.
    Don't have to be an IDOCer... there are lists and lists of items that are now to go poof - most are old-skool items that many have had since their acquisition at server births (even stacked items). Might want to take a stroll on over to the Housing forum and the patches that mention housing for yes, housing has changed a whole lot.

Insofar as your poofed items, it is a heartbreak (believe me, I understand - my personal whispering rose disappeared for no reason one day.... made me cry, and go crazy - almost rage quit over it). But even the most veteran of us sometimes fubar a macro or overlook security settings when locking and securing containers. 

If it is any consolation, you may be able to find replacements for some things via the rares-market. @Lord_Nabin and @Nails_Warstein are two wonderful merchants you may want to query.

Forgot to welcome you home - so welcome back to Sosaria.