Wolf Slayer Spellbooks Don't Work On Hell Hounds

Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
Tested this at a champ spawn. They work on dire wolves but not hell hounds. UOGuide says hell hounds are vulnerable to wolf slayers. I know they could be wrong but I see no reason why they shouldn't work. I'll try to test other wolf related critters & post findings later but felt it necessary to ask abt this.

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Dire wolves are, obviously, wolves. It is possible that the coding is looking for the word 'wolf' in the mob name?  Hell Hounds are not wolves.  Do they work on dogs?
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited April 2018

Are you advocating wanton killing of dogs? What kind of twisted person are you ?!?! I will most certainly not be trying my wolf slayer spellbook on a poor defenseless dog !

:p Just kidding of course :)

Considering the graphics of both are identical (in the CC) with hue color exception, I thought both were of the wolf variety. After checking on UOGuide, both say wolf slayer vulnerability. I thought it a logical assumption for the spellbook to work on both.

Technically, all hounds are descendants of wolves. 

edited April 2018

Ok, a little further digging....

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/slayer-property-items/

I'll log on when servers come back up to test on Bake Kitsune and Cu Sidhe since neither have the "wolf" term in their names. I still refuse to test this on a dog :)

Shameless Bump even tho I haven't tested on Bake Kits or Cu Sidhe yet :p

• I know fey slayer works on cu sidhes. IIRC, wolf slayer did not when I tried it.
    I know fey slayer works on cu sidhes. IIRC, wolf slayer did not when I tried it.
    I carry Fey slayers on all my pvp toons for this very reason (as well as Dragon & Orc).
    Curious if wolf slayers not working on hellhounds is an oversight? Could it be addressed?

@Kyronix ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    It would appear that the original research on this slayer section may have been somewhat flawed. I will carry out further checks and correct as needed.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    For ease of comparison I imbued misericord dagger with damage increase to match a GM smith/armslore crafted dagger - also imbued both with UBWS.
    Testing showed increased (2x) damage from the wolf slayer on Bake Kitsune and Tsuki Wolf, but not on Cu Sidhe or Hell hound.  The wiki page will be updated to show that.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    We would rather the Cu Sidhe fit in the wolf category instead of Fey please.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2018
    I would rather the wolf slayer work on hell hounds, all things considered. :)
    (Hell hound exact same graphic as dire wolves, etc,...)
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Pawain said:
    Is this a royal “We”?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    Pawain said:
    Is this a royal “We”?

All the other things in the wolf category are of the canine family:

Bake Kitsune
    Clan Scratch Savage Wolf
    Dire Wolf
    Dog
    Grey Wolf
    Timber Wolf
    Tsuki Wolf
    White Wolf

Here are the Feys:

Centaur
    Corporeal Brume
    Crystal Lattice Seeker
    Crystal Wisp
    Cu Sidhe
    Dark Wisp
    Dryad
    Ethereal Warrior
    Feral Treefellow
    Fetid Essence
    Insane Dryad
    Ki-Rin
    Mantra Effervescence
    Ortanord
    Pixie
    Satyr

Only the horses have 4 legs.  Many of the other don't have legs or they walk upright.  

You tell me which of those two a Cu Sidhe fits best in.

Too late anyway.  Now the Cu is in with the floaters.  :/
    It kinda makes sense (to me) that Cu's are fey. They were introduced with the Elf expansion and are exclusively Elf tamables and only Elfs can ride them (unless ur wearing one special item which allows it).

Hellhounds on the other hand are re-hued dire wolves with alil extra kick for giving damage (fireball breath). Hellhounds appear to be in the wolf family to me.
  • maybe hell hounds are flame slayer?
    Now there's a voice of reason I hadn't considered ! 

*two thumbs up*
    Mariah said:
    For ease of comparison I imbued misericord dagger with damage increase to match a GM smith/armslore crafted dagger - also imbued both with UBWS.
    Testing showed increased (2x) damage from the wolf slayer on Bake Kitsune and Tsuki Wolf, but not on Cu Sidhe or Hell hound.  The wiki page will be updated to show that.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Is there such a thing as a wolf slayer spell book? If so, Is it something that is randomly created when inscribing spell books?

edited May 2018
    It was one of the new spellbooks made for the global titans event last year. They added spellbook drops that mimic talisman properties thus opening up a whole new selection of slayer properties.

Currently they are only available on the spellbooks from that specific event and are not craftable.
    The only list I'm aware of can be found here :
    https://stratics.com/threads/invasion-spellbook-slayers-list.391831/#post-2875141