Can we get save password option to the login screen?

DragoDrago Posts: 290
edited June 2021 in General Discussions
I know we're all old here and our memory isn't what it used to be.. so keying in your password everytime is potentially a good thing... but how about adding this simple feature?   Its tedious when you're switching toons back n' forth.  PincoUI implemented this feature.  I can't imagine this would require alot of heavy lifting.

1. Add save password option to login?10 votes
    1. Yes
      90.00%
    2. No
      10.00%

Comments

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yes... maybe even have a checkbox toggle to save it or not. 
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    This has come up before and unfortunately, due to security concerns, we have no plans to re-implement this feature.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited June 2021
    “An alternative solution that may satisfy both parties, is for character log out to return the user to the character selection menu, (although this function may get abused by pet owners) and for the ‘quit game’ option to return the user to the login screen. “
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I just set up a keyboard macro. (keyboard software)
    It is a major security risk but one I am willing to take. Judge you own willingness to take that risk.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Tim said:
    It is a major security risk but one I am willing to take. Judge you own willingness to take that risk.
    So now if we are chatting in game with Tim and some out of place word pops up. We know that is his password.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    A multiple key trigger that is well away from anything I would normally use. :D

As I said a major risk but I am willing to and have changed password when I do screw up.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    So that one time when you wrote "PurpleMonkey47" into global chat that was your password?
    Probably then I left to change it. If you do it often enough you get real good at changing password.

Just to be clear I do not recommend this solution but it does work. If I screw up and give you my password you still need to figure out my account name so I have a bit of time to change it. Storing any password on a computer outside of good password management software is a bad idea but I'm lazy.
    It’s just kind of funny how your browser saves all of your passwords, especially email, and often credit cards... but UO needs to be more secure than all of these?  A toggle box to remember the pw isn’t satisfactory enough?  It’s just strange to me. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2021
    Pinco's UI is designed with save password and also remembers the last shard... after this screen it goes straight to shard instead of another selection screen.

Sorry correction, after the above screen it goes to the character selection screen which indicates the last character before jumping into the shard.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Tim said:

Not a bad idea!
    sidebar question (not related) EC macros. does anyone know on the delay action what the minimum value can be? I know the interval is in seconds, but can you do .5 seconds ?  or is the floor set to 1 ?
  • Zayin_MortZayin_Mort Posts: 30
    Drago said:
    sidebar question (not related) EC macros. does anyone know on the delay action what the minimum value can be? I know the interval is in seconds, but can you do .5 seconds ?  or is the floor set to 1 ?
    I havnt been able to go under 1 sec
    Zayin: Paladin
    Mort: Mystic Mage
    Siw: Tamer
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited June 2021
    Drago said:
    I havnt been able to go under 1 sec
    In Default EC, the delay can be set as low as 0.01s within the game. The UI (tooltip) will automatically round 0.01s increments to the closest 0.1s. So if you input 0.14s, the tooltip will display 0.1s. If you input 0.15s, the tooltip will display 0.2s. However, this is just the tooltip. The actual 0.14s or 0.15s is retained within the body of the macro in the character file.

For practical use, a short amount of time is required for the client/server interaction. Most of the time, 0.5s plus your latency is about as fast as you will get a macro to repeat. If your latency was 50ms and you set your delay to 0.55s, the macro may or may not repeat. However, if your latency was 50ms and you set your delay to 0.56s, the macro would probably repeat without error. In both cases (0.55s and 0.56s) the tooltip would show a 0.6s delay, but the actual delay would be recorded within the macro body in the character file.
    -Arroth
    Thank Arroth.  I've tried .5s and didn't notice a difference between that and 1s so you're right its the latency. i'll fool around with it.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    A delay of 1s or more is probably the most useful with the default EC. If you're dealing with gumps, containers, or organizers, etc., the server can require a second or more to update those portions of the interface.

Absolute minimum delays are highly situational (i.e. casting Magic Arrow to train Eval, or Exp/FS combos) and can literally vary with the time of day (latency). They can be very useful, but can also take a bit of fiddling. At least, that is my experience. 
    -Arroth
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 866
    edited June 2021

Yoshi said:
    “An alternative solution that may satisfy both parties, is for character log out to return the user to the character selection menu, (although this function may get abused by pet owners) and for the ‘quit game’ option to return the user to the login screen. “
       I'd advocate for something more like this.

Not really sure what you mean by 'abused by pet owners', aside from tamers* pulling their pet to them faster with a quicker logout/in option if this happens.    It wouldn't effect pvp any more than it does now though.    

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:

Yoshi said:
       I'd advocate for something more like this.

Not really sure what you mean by 'abused by pet owners', aside from tamers* pulling their pet to them faster with a quicker logout/in option if this happens.    It wouldn't effect pvp any more than it does now though.    

While I agree with this idea in spirit, my guess is that if theres security concerns with a save password feature,  theres probably more protocol hurdles to jump through to log out to character screen.  source code in early MMOs like this one were very linear written.  i.e. -  you cannot get to char selection screen without authenticating with EA's server... and passwords can't cached locally due to security concerns.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    CTRL + V  Works great.
    edited June 2021
    Bilbo said:
    CTRL + V  Works great.

Not when you use it in-game
    Drago said:
    Bilbo said:
    CTRL + V  Works great.

Why would you use paste in-game or if you have a function set to those then they will not work when you use it to long on and you have your password copied, not very hard to understand.
    I often have other stuff going on when uo is open (various chats, web browser, etc) and I copy things to the clipboard often within those other windows so copy pasting my password wouldn’t really work. I mean, how hard is it to just have it have a toggle save password. Oh well I guess. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    It used to be like that, hence Kyronix saying they didn't plan to re-implement the feature. It can be a way for an account to get hacked. If your account gets hacked because the game saves your password, whose fault is it? Yours for saving it, or the game's for making it possible to do so? Would Broadsword be held liable? Were Origin blamed way back then? I don't remember.
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:
    Bilbo said:
    CTRL + V  Works great.

Why would you use paste in-game or if you have a function set to those then they will not work when you use it to long on and you have your password copied, not very hard to understand.

I use it for crafting ... i.e- imbuing,  its easier to CTRL + C / CTRL + V  a # when you're imbuing....and I have a button programmed on my mouse for ENTER so i never have to use keyboard w 2 hands.   So its pointless for some,  I'd still have to type out my password in order to use CTRL + V......

edited June 2021
    It used to be like that, hence Kyronix saying they didn't plan to re-implement the feature. It can be a way for an account to get hacked. If your account gets hacked because the game saves your password, whose fault is it? Yours for saving it, or the game's for making it possible to do so? Would Broadsword be held liable? Were Origin blamed way back then? I don't remember.
    I think its a double standard if they permit customUI's for EC and those UI's have this feature.
    dvvid said:
    I often have other stuff going on when uo is open (various chats, web browser, etc) and I copy things to the clipboard often within those other windows so copy pasting my password wouldn’t really work. I mean, how hard is it to just have it have a toggle save password. Oh well I guess. 
    Before switching chars just copy password, easy.