Returning Player Muses on CC vs EC

Straight to the point: as a returning player, I am on CC because I enjoy the graphics, and yes, the nostalgia. What am I giving up by playing in CC, though? Materially, aside from visuals, what are the most important things I am missing out on? Do they warrant what I feel would be a painful (in some ways) change?
I'm ready to force myself into the EC if I must, but I wonder if it is worth it for my style of game play. I have been watching some youtube videos and everyone seems to be on EC, but I wonder if that is just because they started playing after it was created and the old version holds no charm at all for them.  At the moment, I am missing UOassist for my macros.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    The EC was designed to appeal to newer gamers and has a more robust macro system. For those with sufficient skill, player written ui is also permissable. Some love it, some hate it, some converted to it for differing reasons. Try both, make your own decision, but if using CC, check also the more recent changes to it. There have been significant additions to the available macro actions and game window options.

• Sometimes the EC runs better. If you like the CC but the EC runs better on your system, and/or you like the features, you can play with the settings in the EC until it looks a lot like the CC.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    I play CC myself because that's basically what I grew up playing. From what I've gathered the ability to make macros is much more powerful in EC. I've watched a few videos from this forum of people giving instructional videos on making EC macros and I was shocked at how much can be automated there. Perfect example of this (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can toggle an option to "loop" a macro in EC whereas CC has not ability to toggle that in our macros.

EC also gives the option to use Pinco's UI which from what I understand is pretty good too. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited June 2021
    Yes almost all of us agree that the EC's UI is far superior to the CC's UI but that is where it ends because almost all CC users and some EC users agree that the CC's Graphics is far superior and UO can not figure how to combine the two so in order to maintain UO, UO will maintain two clients because to kill one client will kill UO.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    If you are starting from scratch, think that EC is a lot easier to learn the basics on.  EC’s macro application is pretty straight forward for writing basic straight forward macros, searching chests, bags and dead monsters is a breeze, and overall the operating system is fairly well designed.  I can do pretty well using just the mouse and about a half dozen fairly straight forward, simple keyboard macros.  If I had to, I could do alright with the mouse alone.  Never used cc so I can’t comment on it.  A lot of the older established players love it.  If you are still pretty familiar with it, you might too.  But, if you are starting from scratch, I would consider giving EC a try.  There is a surprising lack of basic information on how to use either system so plan on making a fair number of posts here.  The players that post here will help you as much as they can.

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Dont listen to this crap... CC graphics are not far superior to EC.  Its preference of taste.  CC only looks 'sharper' on some objects because game window size maxes at 1280x720.. duh.  if you're playing on a low res monitor, sure go CC.  But you are losing all the UI benefits that EC has. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I am playing on a very high res monitor and EC still looks FUGGLY.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    keven2002 said:
    I play CC myself because that's basically what I grew up playing. From what I've gathered the ability to make macros is much more powerful in EC. I've watched a few videos from this forum of people giving instructional videos on making EC macros and I was shocked at how much can be automated there. Perfect example of this (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can toggle an option to "loop" a macro in EC whereas CC has not ability to toggle that in our macros.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot Loop anything in EC, you can make very long macros , but not endless ones. If that's in the EC, someone please let me know.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2021
    There are no "endless" macros in UO as the server goes down every 24hrs, requiring any macros to be restarted.

However, you can use free OS macro software (or just tape down a keyboard key) with both CC & EC to create macros that run for the entire 24hr server cycle. 

With the CC you also have the option of UOA Loop, which will "loop" a single instruction macro "endlessly" in CC from server-up to server-down. You can probably mod the EC to mimic the behavior of UOA Loop, but I've never bothered.

With the EC, you can just create a macro with more instructions, then set it to "repeat" up to 10 times. This accomplishes the same thing as 3rd party software or UOA Loop. If you create the macro correctly, the macro will run from server-up to server-down.

Ultima Online Enhanced Client Walkthrough – Character File - Ultima Online Forums (uo.com)

-Arroth
    keven2002 said:

To the best of my knowledge you cannot Loop anything in EC, you can make very long macros , but not endless ones. If that's in the EC, someone please let me know.
    I'm not sure if you can loop for let's say 10 hours (I don't use EC so I wouldn't be able to tell ya) but I have seen the "Loop" check box when watching videos of people make macros in EC. I'm not sure how long it would loop but it seems like the logic is there (maybe not?) but I know for sure there isn't even an option to loop anything in CC.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:

I'm not sure if you can loop for let's say 10 hours (I don't use EC so I wouldn't be able to tell ya) but I have seen the "Loop" check box when watching videos of people make macros in EC. I'm not sure how long it would loop but it seems like the logic is there (maybe not?) but I know for sure there isn't even an option to loop anything in CC.
    It's the repeat up to 10 times box, gotcha. i was worried i had missed something lol.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    You can set a macro to repeat 10 times, but it would need an exceedingly long macro for a 10 repeat to last for a significant time.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I play CC. When doing a VS search and  I open a vendor and see dozens of jewels/weapons/etc all jumbled up on each other, I log out in place then change to EC just so I can search the vendor for the item that I want. EC is  also nice when searching A Boss corpse as it is much easier to scan the loot; however, I will stay with CC.
    Hippo said:
    I play CC. When doing a VS search and  I open a vendor and see dozens of jewels/weapons/etc all jumbled up on each other, I log out in place then change to EC just so I can search the vendor for the item that I want. EC is  also nice when searching A Boss corpse as it is much easier to scan the loot; however, I will stay with CC.
    Yes that is one thing I wish CC had - some sort of sorting functionality like EC. When looting something like Scalis where there is a good amount of loot it would be very helpful.
  • Zayin_MortZayin_Mort Posts: 30
    I play EC only and have done so since 2009 when it came out. I have now gotten used to it so much that I even like the GFX and the ability to zoom. I find the CC gfx to look oddly cartoonish and weird. (Sorry) I do see that the GFX are a bit more "crisp" in CC, but that does not make up for the flat terrain and old sprites.
    With Pinco UI mod, the EC is really good imho. Especially the mobile gumps and the easy healing when in groups (not only party). 
    On top the entire UI is just soooo much better with the hotbars, scaleable playwindow, gridded bags, ingame map and macro system.
    Come to EC :)
    Zayin: Paladin
    Mort: Mystic Mage
    Siw: Tamer
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    EC is the superior client in every facet, especially for its more customizable user interface, the larger play screen, list/grid container options, the ability to create macros without needing third party programs, better map, and so on. 

There might be a couple minor graphics issues in EC, but it's overall still much better than CC.  The CC graphics are not far and superior to EC in any way shape or form.  CC graphics are strange, cartoon-like and belong back in the 1900's.   As others have said, it's a matter of preference and the limited resolution of CC that might give those players some false sense that their preferred client is easier on the eye.