Link Items in chat?

DragoDrago Posts: 290
edited April 2021 in General Discussions
Has this been discussed/considered?  i can't imagine there being any hurdles.   Use same window when you hover over an object (would need to add a close button to the top frame is all)

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    you can already change between system or journal you can save the journal why spend limited resource to do anything more?? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    McDougle said:
    you can already change between system or journal you can save the journal why spend limited resource to do anything more?? 
    • Communication. example - Guild chat.  If someone comes across a drop they can broadcast it to guild members, etc..
    • For items that are tough to find on vendor search or unique items, you can list in chat - this would be more useful if item links appeared in overhead text as well
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited April 2021
    'linked items' means being able to drag an item to the chat bar and have a clickable text line appear that other people can click on. When clicked, an item gump appears just like when one mouses over an item. Except you are nowhere near the item. It's a link to it.

It would be a wonderful addition.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Why would this be a wonderful addition, what viable use would this bring to the UO Player Base? Wouldn't this just add more stuff on the chat screen that you have to filter through just to see something. What would stop anybody from just dragging a bunch of garbage onto the Chat Chan.  Gen Chat is overwhelming on Atl as it is and now you want to be able to link all your items into it as well?  NO THANK YOU
    And as everything else in UO we all know that this is just another IT IS SO EASY TO DO on a DEV staff that can not find enough time to fix all the bugs in UO that some people are constantly whining about and you want to throw this on top of the huge heap of items to get done, simply priceless.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Instead of the text saying "Selling a ring with 20LRC, 10 LMC, 3dex, and 50 more characters of description" it would say

"Selling <ring>"

NOT  They will still have all that and the link or someone will say selling and then link everything they have and IMHO it will be to disrupt chat and nothing more, hell they don't even need to say selling just link all the garbage in a corpse to do the same thing.
  • I dont want to be spammed again via Chat. 
    Sell the stuff with vendor, stratics forums, uo forum or ICQ happy Greed channel.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    This is a fairly common thing in other modern MMOs. It's especially useful when you're trying to help educate people on certain items and you'd like to show them a few things quickly.

The restrictions on genchat wouldn't change.. EJs would still be unable to spam. If regular players do they'd risk their account same as ever.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yeah if people could report abuse of this feature and those reports would be acted on, then I think it would be great to have this. 
  • kongkong Posts: 2
    I feel like anyone against this idea never played WoW and if they did not sold things to general public.
    edited April 2021
    We are discussing UO and what is best for UO and we really do not care what other games do and do not do.  Do other game have all the shit talk or spamming that UO does, maybe you should go to WoW and give them a taste of our PvP shit talk in Gen Chat I am sure they will love it or maybe you can constantly spam RMT Sites over there while you are at it.
  • kongkong Posts: 2
    Bilbo said:
    We are discussing UO and what is best for UO and we really do not care what other games do and do not do.  Do other game have all the shit talk or spamming that UO does, maybe you should go to WoW and give them a taste of our PvP shit talk in Gen Chat I am sure they will love it or maybe you can constantly spam RMT Sites over there while you are at it.

First of all, all other games handle general chat better than UO's implementation. So you won't get pvp spam, because pvp is meant for the arenas in WoW. You won't get RMT sites spamming in general chat because those games have a zero tolerance policy. Now I don't specifically blame anyone for the trash heap that is general chat. but you seem to think innovation is something that just happens out of no where.

It's forums and interactions in these forums that allow devs to see the way the community is thinking. You're garbage rant about a whole lot of nothing is less helpful than you think.

UO cares what other games are doing, or else NL wouldn't be a thing.
    UO cares what other games are doing, because they continue to develop content for it.

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 866
    The ability to directly link items so sell/trade in chat would be great in UO, it should actually remove clutter from general chat because you shouldn't see the stats unless you click or highlight the linked item.

for instance,
    proposed
    <char name>: Selling Bracelet, 15p.

anyone not interested, wouldn't bother checking.

vs  currently
    <char name> Selling  Bracelet 15p 20 magery, 20 resist, 20 eval, 1 fc 3 fcr 25 ep, 15 hci, 15 dci.

even if it was limited to 1-3 items linked each time you posted in chat it would be a welcome change, 

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • GandalfGandalf Posts: 115
    You asking something that the dev cannot do.
    first they have to fix gold spammer bots...
  • Mordin_RockbiterMordin_Rockbiter Posts: 64
    edited April 2021
    The suggestion is good, just  limit it  to sending to individuals rather than gen chat and the ability of individuals to block such action either totally or individuals. 
  • ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    edited April 2021
    Deleted
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited April 2021
    It's a nice idea, it would actually reduce the spamm in chat , by removing all the items stats that players are spamming, its a feature that should of came whenever they implemented the general chat, but obviously it might be too challenging for our devs team...
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    I also +1 for the OP's idea.

And if UO wants to attract new users, it best pay attention to trends in other games. Even Diablo has an item link feature in the general chat (altho no more auction - le sigh).

Perhaps limiting it to a specific trade-only-channel which will also display history would be a nice way to put it - that way people can back-scroll the history. I wouldn't keep it all history - but within the last 6 hours wouldn't be a bad idea.

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Kirthag said:
    I also +1 for the OP's idea.

And if UO wants to attract new users, it best pay attention to trends in other games. Even Diablo has an item link feature in the general chat (altho no more auction - le sigh).

Perhaps limiting it to a specific trade-only-channel which will also display history would be a nice way to put it - that way people can back-scroll the history. I wouldn't keep it all history - but within the last 6 hours wouldn't be a bad idea.

agree but first they'd have to remove the 1 limit chat channel (which is ridiculous)