"your search is too vague"
it says
"your search took too long to complete"

fixed hooray!

Comments

• ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    lol
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    We already knew it was taking to long and timing out it just took them awhile to admit to it.
  • We've got that issue too.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Yes, agree a nice improvement over the old message.  Really like the way it looks.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Here's my .02 again, VS seems to work fine on the smaller shards, and only fails miserably on Atl, which means imo, it's being queried too much  or too often . I still think it's because of nefarious reasons.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    So whatever you did to VS.....didn't work.

Vendor Search Updates

• Endless Journey accounts can no longer use the item name search
    • Endless Journey accounts will now receive a 60-second cooldown between searches
    • All item name searches are now limited up to three words
    • Updated error messaging
    • Database maintenance
    Great that you did what you did....but nothing has changed. No matter what I am searching for by name I get the message.

ON ATLANTIC only. Other shards...as always, are working as intended, for me anyway.

Atlantic is just TOO populated with too many vendors and I think it just overloads the system you have in place.

I know you're probably pulling your hair out trying to figure out how to fix it....but it's really bad :(

Currently my searches were this:

Flame 
    Flame Slayer
    Pedestal
    Taming
    Taming Scroll
    Essence
    Spider Web
    Grave
    Gravestone
    Dye
    Natural Dye
    Seed

(just trying random things to see if anything works)

I tried with and without price ranges

• MedeaMedea Posts: 9
    edited March 2021
    And just because its an issue on ONE SHARD, it is an issue... on all shards?
    Really?

I have never had an issue on any shard EXCEPT on ATL. So... what?

You can have any wine anytime, but this is getting ridiculous.
  • DukarloDukarlo Posts: 50
    Very disappointing but not unexpected. It's amazing how low our expectations have become. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    @Medea - Obviously trolling with only 5 posts. Not sure what drinking wine anytime has to do with anything though....
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Dukarlo said:
    Very disappointing but not unexpected. It's amazing how low our expectations have become. 

QFT

Oh, and IBTL

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I like wine! ;)

Anyway...that's not the point. That's like saying...oh well..the shard you play on is broken and you can't play on it for many many MANY months...but who cares, there are other shards to play on, right?

If something is broken, it needs fixing, plain and simple.

Now currently it's 8 AM central time and I am having no issues with Vendor Search. I have made several inquiries and have gotten results in less then a minute. I am in Moonglow at the moment.

So after searching for and finding 3 things that I have been searching for for months...I decided to go back to Luna and try another search.

The search took too long to complete, please refine your search and try again...

Try again...same message.

Went back to Moonglow and got the same message *sad face* I thought I was onto something!

Tried on different characters and nothing.

Not sure if me going to Malas broke it because it was working fine....not sure if it's because people are buying or putting things on vendors at the time of the search.

Maybe give it a few more days to sort itself out?

*shrugs* hopefully they can figure it out!

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I think all along we all know its the server load issue. Whether its the message not saying the correct issue (i.e. it says vague), or suspected spamming by EJ accounts, etc, these are not the root cause.

So if applying these "soft" solution do not work, perhaps they may have to consider the "hard" solution like upgrading the server cluster to handle the load - just like any overgrown website. I am not an expert in this, just sharing a thought.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    LOL! I just tried to perform a VS on a shard that WASN'T ATL. I got back the message that it took too long, bla bla bla, whatever. So I then try 2 other searches with the same result. 5 minutes later, along with the "took too long" message, I GET BACK THE RESULTS OF THE FIRST SEARCH. WTF is going on here?????? @Kyronix @Bleak For God's sake, can we get something that works. FYI, On the same shard, in general chat, I saw an add for one of the gold selling sites. So my guess is that isn't fixed either :(. Devs, feel free to PM me if you want specifics.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • BleakBleak Posts: 143Dev
    edited March 2021

• BleakBleak Posts: 143Dev
    Hey Guys/Gals, 

With every database maintenance, each server needs to repopulate the database with all of the vendor items. This normally can take up to 24 hours after the server is published. During this period you will see unexpected results as the database is constantly being updated. All servers with the exception of Atlantic look to be working as intended as of this morning but demand can also impact the search performance. We are continuing to look at ways to improve name search on Atlantic as its item database is more than half of the entire database. Currently, item name search times on Atlantic can at times return over the 1 minute time out which is not ideal. Thank you for your continued patience. 
  • SC_UO2021SC_UO2021 Posts: 18
    When 75% of your game population is on one shard, yes, that shard gets to dictate what is problematic. It’s far past time that they merge and close pointless servers with next 0 population and figure out a fair system for those players to transfer to 3-4 most populated shards. Also, start deleting old world and unique items that simply take up band width. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    SC_UO2021 said:
    When 75% of your game population is on one shard, yes, that shard gets to dictate what is problematic. It’s far past time that they merge and close pointless servers with next 0 population and figure out a fair system for those players to transfer to 3-4 most populated shards. Also, start deleting old world and unique items that simply take up band width. 
    That solves nothing.  Players should spread out more and Atlantic should be capped.  Then the data base will be even.

So Move now.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Pawain said:
    SC_UO2021 said:
    That solves nothing.  Players should spread out more and Atlantic should be capped.  Then the data base will be even.

So Move now.
    Funny that you frequently say that you go back and forth between ATL to collect rewards /sell things etc to bring back to LS yet you are saying ATL should be capped. I'm actually all for it so you can stay off my shard  ;)

Jk.

That seems contrary to what the Devs actually want though as far as spreading out. They put in place "Shard Bound" so that everyone would farm dead shards which has made most of the farming being done on a handful of shards... those I would think would be "the chosen" ones and the other dead shards would eventually be removed. Less maintenance and less resources required to run all while increasing regular playing population on the other shards.
    8am Atl , vendor search fails...

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2021
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Placed an item on a vendor 30 minutes ago, still hasn't shown up in VS.

Yoshi said:
    Yup. Do a high to low search if you can. You will see hundreds of junk items priced at 175M.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited March 2021

it theres too many items at the same price, the ones over the limit dont show up.  its been this way forever, but really only became an issue after commission vendors came out and more items were on search.  commission vendors increased items on vendor drastically and also why vendor search is so broken.  i love commisssion vendors, but it should have been foreseen that there would be much more stress on the system after their release.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2021
    Bleak said:
    Hey Guys/Gals, 

With every database maintenance, each server needs to repopulate the database with all of the vendor items. This normally can take up to 24 hours after the server is published. During this period you will see unexpected results as the database is constantly being updated. All servers with the exception of Atlantic look to be working as intended as of this morning but demand can also impact the search performance. We are continuing to look at ways to improve name search on Atlantic as its item database is more than half of the entire database. Currently, item name search times on Atlantic can at times return over the 1 minute time out which is not ideal. Thank you for your continued patience. 

Thanks for the response Bleak. Tbh, I'm fine, I can see you are working on it. I'm still able to buy equipment using properties, my vendors show new stuff in 2 minutes etc. (on Atlantic).

I think it's a shame that players are putting so much junk up, especially the 175m junk, it's stupid, pointless and thoughtless, but to be fair - Mervyn did call it, but then he would understand the thought processes ;)

Re Commission Vendors, I love them, and I use them properly, it's enabled me to get into vendoring.

Re everyone going to Atlantic to sell, I'm now equally part of that problem, I held off for as long as I could, only put stuff up on Europa, but these days, I trudge off to Atlantic with everyone else. It isn't that 75% of players play on Atlantic, Europa has good numbers also, but it is that everyone goes to Atlantic for the market, to put all the trade in 1 place, because it just works better for players that way.

Now if there were a centralised Vendor Search that we all plugged into, maybe that would stop so much movement, and as Atlantic is over half of the database anyway, maybe that could be done? But I don't know what to say about the players all putting up junk, it is a shame they are ruining such a good system.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Cookie said:
    Bleak said:
    Hey Guys/Gals, 

Thanks for the response Bleak. Tbh, I'm fine, I can see you are working on it. I'm still able to buy equipment using properties, my vendors show new stuff in 2 minutes etc. (on Atlantic).

I think it's a shame that players are putting so much junk up, especially the 175m junk, it's stupid, pointless and thoughtless, but to be fair - Mervyn did call it, but then he would understand the thought processes ;)

Re Commission Vendors, I love them, and I use them properly, it's enabled me to get into vendoring.

Re everyone going to Atlantic to sell, I'm now equally part of that problem, I held off for as long as I could, only put stuff up on Europa, but these days, I trudge off to Atlantic with everyone else. It isn't that 75% of players play on Atlantic, Europa has good numbers also, but it is that everyone goes to Atlantic for the market, to put all the trade in 1 place, because it just works better for players that way.

Now if there were a centralised Vendor Search that we all plugged into, maybe that would stop so much movement, and as Atlantic is over half of the database anyway, maybe that could be done? But I don't know what to say about the players all putting up junk, it is a shame they are ruining such a good system.

Centralised Vendor Search may help to off-load Atlantic, its at least one step closer in the direction of global trading without the need to login to Atlantic to add more stress to its capacity. Good suggestion!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    SC_UO2021 said:
    Show me one server with zero population, there are NONE.  Every house on every server has a paid account tied to it and you may enjoy playing on an over packed shard there are others that do not so you do not get the right to dictate what UO does or does not do.  I love your %75 dream figure.  How many houses are on Atl, you need to go count them, now go count all the other servers and you better include the Asian shards too.
    Smoot said:

it theres too many items at the same price, the ones over the limit dont show up.  its been this way forever, but really only became an issue after commission vendors came out and more items were on search.  commission vendors increased items on vendor drastically and also why vendor search is so broken.  i love commisssion vendors, but it should have been foreseen that there would be much more stress on the system after their release.
    It's the only item of its kind.

Smoot said:

It's the only item of its kind.
    I put Palm trees on a vendor on LS yesterday and they showed up within seconds.  I was so surprised that I grabbed a map to verify it was my vendor.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Today, I’m finding searches that time out end up returning results shortly after timing out. So it’s working better but buggy. Results seemed faster at times too. It’s all over the place. 
    dvvid said:
    Today, I’m finding searches that time out end up returning results shortly after timing out. So it’s working better but buggy. Results seemed faster at times too. It’s all over the place. 
    I had that happen to me on some of the Asian Shards after the timeout.