To the Devs.

DanpalDanpal Posts: 119
edited December 2020 in General Discussions
This year has got me thinking. We have had a hard year with the pandemic. I dont think anyone has been untouched by it. I ask you for a favor. We have lost to many to the pandemic I was wondering if there is anyway to put a  Monument up somewhere on the shards. It does not have to have the names of people. 

In are would we have Monument of the unknown soldier. 

We could just have one of the tombs in game already become Tomb of the unknown  players. Something like that. With just some additional decorations.

This would also cover the friends and people we have lost over the past 23 years.

@Mesanna , @Kyronix , @Bleak ;
  1. Do you support this.17 votes
    1. Yes
      52.94%
    2. No
      47.06%

Comments

• Or, for existing players who have left, just inscribe one of the existing headstones in an existing graveyard...
  • DanpalDanpal Posts: 119
    Just thought of it. It could say 

For the unseen but not forgotten.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    This situation is unprecedented. A singular in-game memorial to the nightmare that is this pandemic would be very appropriate. 

At the same time, I dunno. The pandemic is out there, not in here. I have some trouble trying to reconcile the game's world to the outer world. I do wonder how the game's developers grapple with this problem. The player base is aging and people aren't just moving on from the game to something else, they're moving on. I've always liked that they do in-game memorials to long term players who have passed but at some point those will become noticeably common: Britannia the graveyard.  
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    Wow did a whole npc that immortalized robin williams. This should be done.
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    Got chills. This idea is great. 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Jepeth said:
    The pandemic is out there, not in here.
    I voted no for the above reason. I think many of us play to get away from the constant crap that has been 2020. I don't want to be collecting bones in 10 years (hopefully the game will still be around) and run into the Rona memorial. I am hoping this crap will one day be a distant memory.

Marge said:
    Jepeth said:
    The pandemic is out there, not in here.
    I voted no for the above reason. I think many of us play to get away from the constant crap that has been 2020. I don't want to be collecting bones in 10 years (hopefully the game will still be around) and run into the Rona memorial. I am hoping this crap will one day be a distant memory.

Its not just for Rona its for all players that have passed. For the unseen but not forgotten. Does not mean just for Rona. I have lost friends in game long before Rona. This would be a place to remember and honor the people that played and loved this game. Heck I dont think i can go anywhere with out remembering something I did there with a friend that passed. Ok eden would be the one place. And underwater never been over there eather.  I can walk fel and tram and still picture how it was before. 
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited December 2020
    This idea is in fact a good one! But if this comes true - if the Dev's give and build some kind of a generell "Memorial" they should do this on every shard!

Amerika although it have surely the biggest problems and most losts of the pandemic is not alone on the world with this problem! Europe, Asia and Australia have this problems too and lost their people.  

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

Ever shard should have it
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I would like to see all player memorials moved to a generic graveyard. We have plenty of unusable land in malas for sure. 

As far as putting a generic memorial for this virus, we play the game to escape reality not have a constant reminder of it. I'd rather sit here for my gametime without being reminded how much going outside could suck. 

• I hate seeing player memorials in game. If you put one in please put it some place i will not run by. 
  • The sentiment behind this idea is a noble one, but memorials for out-of-game tragedies aren't really appropriate. Sosaria isn't Earth. There are far better forums, both IRL and digital, for people to express their collective grief.

Memorials for lost individual players aren't difficult to set up and are, for the most part, appropriate...if sometimes somewhat poorly designed.