Stop Putting Useful Items in the game for limited periods of time.

King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
edited November 2020 in General Discussions
Lovely, the forum replaced a long thought out post with what I typed in the first 10 seconds. Awesome. 

Nothing useful in the game should only be available for a limited period of time. You can still make the content fun with increased drop rates, unique colors, or non durability versions, but they should still be available in the game afterwards.  

The New Epaulettes, The New Talisman, First Aid Belt, Rangers Cloak, Dreadmares, Bane Dragons, Spellbooks with slayers that you literally can't get from anywhere else, etc, etc... 

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Yes, I wonder how they decide what items are regular, and what are limited time only. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited November 2020
    To my opinion, Limited Time items, when usefull because adding powerfullness to a character or a pet, only make it WORSE for New and Returning players to "catch up" the GAP with existing players.

And what happens when New and Returning players see it too much an "uphill struggle" to catch up with existing players ?

Many may be deterred from keeping playing Ultima Online and just go play other games...

And Ultima Online looses Revenues....

I said it many times, items, also high end items, should be all over the place, readily available to any and all players through game play and not be an exclusive thing of only a few players who got them.

And yes, this includes also Scrolls of Power.

The fact that to many players they are still beyond reach, to my opinion, looses players to Ultima Online and, thus, revenues which are important for the maintainance and upkeep as well as for new content for the game.

I can well understand that one might dislike the idea that older players had to spend time to get stuff in the game while for newer players it could become easier as compared to them to get those same items BUT, if this is what current players getting into games want, my opinion is that they should get what they ask for, in order to have new players actually playing the game...

What is the point of having a Policy that goes against what new, potential players want in their gaming when this results in these players NOT getting interested in that given game and, thus, not playing it ?

If Ultima Online was able to have a larger players' base, it could be possible to hire more Developers and, thus, get more content done for it.

They want stuff easy and fast ?

I say give it to them and let's get more players play Ultima Online and thus, support its upkeep.

Limiting availability of items to players is bad, to my opinion.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited November 2020
    Sounds like y'all should play on test center. Give everything.

If these items were not shard bound, you would be able to find them on vendors on the trade hub.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I believe the players Popps is referring to don’t have access to the trade hub in Atlanta and won’t have access to the trade hub for many years assuming they continue to play the game.  Appreciate that I will have an opportunity to buy items from the current event If I want any of them.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited November 2020
    Arnold7 said:
    I believe the players Popps is referring to don’t have access to the trade hub in Atlanta and won’t have access to the trade hub for many years assuming they continue to play the game.  Appreciate that I will have an opportunity to buy items from the current event If I want any of them.
    There are players that can take things back and forth for other players. Others do that for me, I do that for others.  Unfortunately, shard bound items will never be able to be traded from small shards to small shards like they could if they were not.  Popps does not understand how the economy works.  When something is taken from Baja to Atlantic, that item usually ends up on another shard like Napa.  The items do not just stay on Atlantic.  The players on Atlantic get most of their items for themselves or from other Atlantic players.  Small shards get items from other shards and Atlantic via Atlantic vendors.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    edited November 2020
    Pawain is correct. And smaller shards mean less chance for drops all together. With RNG, there is a possibility of never getting a particular drop. The idea of shard bound is horrible for smaller shards.

I have bought several transfer tokens just to move items, as well as relying on other members from my guild.

• TownieTownie Posts: 20
    Time limited items are fine if they return in future events.

Time limited things like bane dragons / dread warhorses are not good for the game though unless they are brought back in future events.
    edited November 2020
    Yes, shard bound is fine if they return in future events, and not one off.

The item should not be shard bound, limited time and for one event only. Even if popps can come up with 100 pages of explanation, it will never make sense.
    edited November 2020
    Seth said:

The item should not be shard bound, limited time and for one event only. Even if popps can come up with 100 pages of explanation, it will never make sense.
    I am all in favour for all items, Shard Bound items included, to return in future Events, by all means.

I am in favour of Shard Bound items AND that they can return in future Events.

It did not need 100 pages to say that.
  • popps said:
    Seth said:

I am all in favour for all items, Shard Bound items included, to return in future Events, by all means.

Do you play on more than 1 shard?
    edited November 2020
    popps said:
    Seth said:

Nice. In your earlier long posts saying shard bound is good, it should come with such a condition.

I don't recall seeing anyone from Dev Team promising that the same items will always return in future events. Since they are silent and there is no guarantee, and they will end the event on 15 Nov, so shard bound remains a bad idea, isn't it?
    edited November 2020
    popps said:
    Seth said:

Do you play on more than 1 shard?
    I do.

More time at hand for this Event would have been beneficial to all those who play on several Shards.
    Seth said:
    popps said:
    Seth said:

Nice. In your earlier long posts saying shard bound is good, it should come with such a condition.

I don't recall seeing anyone from Dev Team promising that the same items will always return in future events. Since they are silent and there is no guarantee, and they will end the event on 15 Nov, so shard bound remains a bad idea, isn't it?
    No, Shard Bound stays a good idea for me because : 

# 1) - I have faifth in the Developers that they will bring back those Shard Bound items in future Events ;

# 2) - In the meanwhile, if someone is really in a hurry to get any of these Shard Bound items, they can buy them from those who have them on that given Shard thus helping revive the economy of that low population Shard....
    edited November 2020
    popps said:
    Seth said:
    popps said:
    Seth said:

No, Shard Bound stays a good idea for me because : 

# 1) - I have faifth in the Developers that they will bring back those Shard Bound items in future Events ;

# 2) - In the meanwhile, if someone is really in a hurry to get any of these Shard Bound items, they can buy them from those who have them on that given Shard thus helping revive the economy of that low population Shard....
    # 1) - Good for you. Since you have faith that they will bring back those SB items, TOD extension is unnecessary.

# 2) - They can buy provided there is enough players on low pop willing to waste time farm extras to sell at cheap prices. For the players who has already got their TOD reward, would they rather spend their time getting other non-shard bound item to sell at other shard at better prices.